Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Our Special Featured Author this week is LAURIE R. KING!

LaurieRKingLRK wrote:

I like to alternate what I write, to keep my mind fresh and my interest on the characters.  For various reasons I've done four Russells in a row, but I think fromnow on I'll probably do one or two and then something else: a Styvesant & Grey, or a Martinelli, or...

I hope you find something to enjoy in them.

Laurie

What are the pluses and drawbacks of writing a long-running series? Is it difficult to come up with new plot ideas?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LaurieRKingLRK wrote:

The Twenties in Paris is a whole lot of fun, isn't it? When I'm finished my Bones of Paris tour in a couple of weeks, I'll get back to work on a new Russell, set for publication in early 2015.  It will be divided between their 1924 adventures in Japan and a 1925 puzzle in Oxford.

I don't see any B&N events on the current schecule, however, I'm seeing a number of B&Ns as I do drop in signings throughout the Bay Area--San Jose yesterday, Walnut Creek today. My motto: leave no book unsigned!

I'm halfway across the United States - will you be in Chicago at all during your book tour?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LaurieRKingLRK wrote:

Hi Fricka, thanks for the kind words.  Russell began with a reflection that I, the mother of two (at the time) young children, did daily what The Great Detective got wondering applause for, but rather than having Watson exclaim, "How do you DO it, Holmes?" I had kids wondering how I knew they'd hit the cookie jar before dinner. What would "women's intuition" look like if we took it seriously? Hence a young, female, feminist Sherlock Holmes--and why not put her next to the original, by way of contrast?

In fact, after I wrote Touchstone I realized I'd done something similar there, with physical war trauma turning a young soldier into a person so sensitive, he performed Holmesian acts of perception. That's Bennett Grey, who appears in The Bones of Paris as well.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make a person in his situation a woman...

I LOVE this description! I wonder if there are more women fans of Mary Russell than men. I was so excited when I read the first Mary Russell book. Now I understand why the story resonated with me! :-)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Laurie - Thank you so much for persevering when you ran into the Notorious Glitch! I'm so glad you were able to sign in!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Laurie - I know you're really busy this week, but if you have time at some point, I'd love to hear your "call" story! I'm fascinated with the stories authors tell about getting the call that they'd sold their first book!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Laurie - With all the interest in Sherlock Holmes since the two TV series, the movies, etc., I wondered if any of the Mary Russell books have been optioned for TV or movies?

Contributor
LaurieRKingLRK
0 Kudos

What are the pluses and drawbacks of writing a long-running series? Is it difficult to come up with new plot ideas?

New ideas might be more difficult to dredge up if I limited the series to one place, but since the characters are free to travel, doors are flung wide.  This is no less true of the new Stuyvesant & Grey series than with Russell & Holmes--the first, Touchstone, was in 1926 London, and The Bones of Paris is (yes) in France, in 1929. With the world to draw from, I don't think I'll run out of plot ideas.

Contributor
LaurieRKingLRK
0 Kudos

I'd love to hear your "call" story! I'm fascinated with the stories authors tell about getting the call that they'd sold their first book!

It was from my agent, Linda Allen, in late 1991. We'd had both The Beekeeper's Apprentice and A Grave Talent circulating for a couple of years before the late, great Ruth Cavin picked up A Grave Talent, and a career was born.  If Northern California thought there was a widespread sonic boom that day, no, it was just me shouting as soon as I put down the phone.

Contributor
LaurieRKingLRK
0 Kudos

I wondered if any of the Mary Russell books have been optioned for TV or movies?

Not yet, although there are ongoing conversations.  Part of the problem is the decision of whether to maintain the books' settings, which would involve a lot of expensive foreign filming, or whether to limit the scope of the books to one or two places.  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LaurieRKingLRK wrote:

I'd love to hear your "call" story! I'm fascinated with the stories authors tell about getting the call that they'd sold their first book!

It was from my agent, Linda Allen, in late 1991. We'd had both The Beekeeper's Apprentice and A Grave Talent circulating for a couple of years before the late, great Ruth Cavin picked up A Grave Talent, and a career was born.  If Northern California thought there was a widespread sonic boom that day, no, it was just me shouting as soon as I put down the phone.

LOL! I assumed THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE sold first - I'm intrigued that it was A GRAVE TALENT. 

A Grave Talent  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LaurieRKingLRK wrote:

I wondered if any of the Mary Russell books have been optioned for TV or movies?

Not yet, although there are ongoing conversations.  Part of the problem is the decision of whether to maintain the books' settings, which would involve a lot of expensive foreign filming, or whether to limit the scope of the books to one or two places.  

Hmm. I can understand the cost-consciousness, but I think it would be cool if they kept the original settings!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Laurie - Thank you soooo much for taking the time to visit with us this week, especially after the glitch problems.