Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: PENGUIN'S COZY AUTHORS: BERKLEY PRIME CRIME, NAL, SIGNET, ETC.

ElizabethSCraig wrote:

It sure is!  Wasn't that a great book?  It's funny how little things can really spark either a collection, a hobby...or a series!

I think that's one reason cozies (or cozyish mysteries, since some authors don't like that name) are so popular. No matter what your interests, there's bound to be a cozy series that features it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rochelle Staab is having trouble signing in so I'm going to go ahead and a link to her new book:

Who Do, Voodoo?  

In Who Do, Voodoo?, mysterious tarot cards, a cursed voodoo spell book, and a best friend falsely accused team L.A. Clinical Psychologist Liz Cooper and Religious Philosophy Professor Nick Garfield in an unlikely partnership to hunt down the real killer of a voodoo initiate in contemporary Los Angeles.

http://www.rochellestaab.com/

If you ever wondered what if or why, stayed up late to find out whodunit, or read the last page of a story first, then you understand the need to know. You are a mystery lover.

The White Elephant, checked out of the Finney Public Library on Sherman Boulevard in Milwaukee when I was nine years old, launched my lifetime love of mysteries. After a pre-teen passion for the Nancy Drew series, my appetite for mystery expanded to Sherlock Holmes as well as to the classics by Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, and James M. Cain, with a dollop of wit from P.G. Wodehouse, Dorothy Parker, and Oscar Wilde. My taste. Go figure.

Curiosity compelled me to write and take on the challenge to create characters, put them in danger, then answer the who, what, where, when, why, how, and what ifs, all the way to The End. Instant entertainment every day.

Who Do, Voodoo? is the first in my series of murder mysteries with a supernatural slant, featuring Liz Cooper—a pragmatic Los Angeles psychologist, and Nick Garfield, PhD—a professor of religious philosophy. Nick studies the occult. Liz dismisses it. Do I believe in the occult? What I believe doesn't matter. Who Do, Voodoo? has coincidences and twists of fate that even a skeptic like Liz Cooper cannot ignore.

Who Do, Voodoo? is coming this November from Berkley Prime Crime. Release date, cover, news, and events will be posted here as the plot unfolds.

If serendipity brought you to this site, I hope curiosity brings you back.

—Rochelle

Author
ElizabethSCraig
0 Kudos

It's true--whatever your interest, you should find a cozy that features it! (I will admit to liking 'cozy,' although I'll sometimes say 'traditional' to anyone I think might not know the cozy genre. But cozy so exactly captures how I feel when I'm reading or writing one!) :smileyhappy:
Author
KariLeeTownsend
0 Kudos

Thanks, Maxcat :-) I just found out RT gave it 4 1/2 stars! Maybe it's a sign it will do well :smileywink:

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

Becke, I love your knomes! Do you keep any in the garden?

This is a dangerous forum this week. I've not read any of the cozies with a paranormal slant even though I'm a fan of paranormal romance and fantasy novels. I'm going to have to give some of these a try!

Yesterday I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how I can make my killer more deliciously devious. I need lessons on deviousiness. Murderous deviousness, I mean. I'm quite adept at the run-of-the-mill kind of devious. And I need these lessons fast! This book (The Scarlet Pepper) was due last month!!!

White House Gardener Mysteries
Flowerbed of State May 2011
The Scarlet Pepper April 2012
Oak and Dagger April 2013
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, I always wonder what a cozy mystery was and now I know. I think that any book could be a cozy because if you love to read and get cozy reading that book what more do you want.

I love to get into a book and just lose myself in the story. If the good makes you feel good that is even better.

You do such a great job.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KariLeeTownsend wrote:

Thanks, Maxcat :-) I just found out RT gave it 4 1/2 stars! Maybe it's a sign it will do well :smileywink:

Congratulations!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Avery:
I just finished A LONG QUICHE GOODBYE and I really enjoyed it. It made me hungry for all those cheeses mentioned in the book. I think everybody loves cheese. When Rachel Ray announces that she is adding cheese to her recipe, the audience always claps! 
The Long Quiche Goodbye (Cheese Shop Mystery Series #1)  
I will definitely be reading LOST AND FONDUE. I need to find out what's going on with Jordan and Charlotte. That's what so great about all the cozy mystery series, they keep you wanting more of the story!

AveryAames wrote:

Thanks for posting the covers. I'm thrilled to be among the authors and am open to answering any and all questions from readers!

Say cheese!

Avery Aames 

Lost and Fondue (Cheese Shop Mystery Series #2)  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Hi Denise

Great to see you here!

Just wanted to drop a line to let you know that I have shared Honey and Babe at work and have actually got some great feedback.  Everyone seems to like the hometown/homespun jargon!

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Kate, welcome to the mystery forum. I will have to check your books out.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Avery Aames 

Avery, I just finished reading Lost and Fondue, and loved it! . I see from your web site that you now have the cover for your third book. Could you tell us a bit about it?

Where are you as far as having the third book completed?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rochelle Staab is fighting the BN.com gremlins and gnomes, who are still refusing to let her comment. Maybe if we all put our psychic force together we can defeat the bad computer gnomes help get her in!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I want to throw in a plug for another great series, too!

Stay Tuned for Murder 

Reel Murder 

Dead Air    

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Rochelle, your book sounds very interesting and I will certainly check it out.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cozy author DUFFY BROWN (to be published by Berkley Prime Crime in 2012) is featured at Romance University today:

http://romanceuniversity.org/2011/07/01/duffy-brown-the-importance-of-plan-b/comment-page-1/#comment...

Duffy has visited the Mystery Forum several times (as a participant), and many of you have received her promotional items in your Got Books? packages