becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome AVERY AAMES to our Month of Cozy(ish) Crime!

This week, our featured guest is cozy(ish) author AVERY AAMES.

I met Avery at Bouchercon last October, and as soon as she told me about her new series I knew you'd all want to hear more about it.

This group loves food, and Avery has lots of recipes - this week ought to be a lot of fun!

Picture of Avery Aames.Go to the Avery Aames Home page.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES to our Month of Cozy(ish) Crime!

About Avery:

Avery Aames is the pseudonym for Daryl Wood Gerber.  As Avery, she signed her first three-book publishing contract with Berkley Prime Crime and is writing A Cheese Shop Mystery Series, the first of which, The Long Quiche Goodbye, will appear July 2010. The series is set in idyllic Holmes County, Ohio, and features Charlotte Bessette, a feisty cheese shop owner with a colorful extended family.

Daryl has also had short stories published and she created the format for the successful TV series Out of this World that ran for four years in first-run syndication. Daryl podcasts some of her suspense/thriller work on her website. She is a member of Sisters in Crime, its internet group Guppies,Mystery Writers of AmericaRomance Writers of America and theInternational Thriller Writers Association.

Prior to writing, Daryl was an actress in Los Angeles. A fun tidbit for mystery buffs: she co-starred on the popular series, Murder, She Wrote and Matlock. Daryl graduated from Stanford University. She enjoys golfing, swimming, photography, gardening, gourmet cooking, and has been known to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

She has been happily married for over twenty-five years and has an adorable mutt named Max and a grown son who has flown the coop.

Visit her at both of her websites: http://www.darylwoodgerber.com/ and
http://www.averyaames.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Long Quiche Goodbye 

Synopsis

Welcome to the grand opening of Fromagerie Bessette. Or as it's more commonly known by the residents of small-town Providence, Ohio-the Cheese Shop. Proprietor Charlotte Bessette has prepared a delightful sampling of bold Cabot Clothbound Cheddar, delicious tortes of Stilton and Mascarpone, and a taste of Sauvignon Blanc-but someone else has decided to make a little crime of passion the piece de resistance. Right outside the shop Charlotte finds a body, the victim stabbed to death with one of her prized olive-wood handled knives.

Order The Long Quiche Goodbye from one of your favorite booksellers.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

B&N doesn't do contests here, but Avery has one on her website:

The Long Quiche Goodbye
is almost here, July 6, 2010!
To help launch the book and to celebrate its release, I am running a contest from June 9 to July 5.

YOU BE THE SLEUTH!

Rules: Track down the recipe on this website that has eggs, Edam and white pepper, then go to the following page - 

Name That Cheese Recipe!

and enter your answer for a chance to win one of the following:

One of you will win $25 gift certicate at your favorite bookstore.

Two
 of you will win signed copies of The Long Quiche Goodbye.Three of you will win a Long Quiche Goodbye magnet.

You can ask friends for help.  Spread the word and share the fun! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Friday, July 9, 2010
9:00 a.m.

Thrillerfest
Hyatt Regency 
42nd Street
New York City, NY 10021

Map

Sunday, July 11, 2010
2:00 p.m.

Barnes and Noble
The Shoppes at Farmington
110 Albany Tpk #305
Canton, CT 06019

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Blog tour title.

Come join me on my book blog tour during July. I’ll be dropping in on a variety of blogs 
to discuss my debut book, The Long Quiche Goodbye. I’ll share my passion for cheese,
my passion for perseverance, the why and wherefore of how I write and create, and you 
might even meet my protagonist, Charlotte Bessette and other characters.

Every time during the tour that you comment on one of my guest blog posts or comment 
on my Monday blog day on Mystery Lovers Kitchen, you will be entered into a 
drawing for an autographed copy of The Long Quiche Goodbye.

Good luck and see you online!

Tour Date

Blog Links

June 20, 2010 

Jungle Red

http://www.jungleredwriters.com/

July 3, 2010

Cozy Chicks

http://www.cozychicksblog.com/

July 3, 2010

Book Trib

http://www.booktrib.com

July 5, 2010 

Lesa Holstine

http://lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com

July 6 2010 

Steve Rogers

http://stephendrogers.blogspot.com/ 

July 10, 2010

Thrillerfest

http://thrillerfest2009.blogspot.com

July 11, 2010 

Poe's Deadly Daughters

http://poesdeadlydaughters.blogspot.com/

July 14, 2010

Bookends LLC

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/

July 19, 2010

Romance Bandits

http://romancebandits.blogspot.com/

July 20, 2010

Terry's Place

http://terryodell.blogspot.com

July 30, 2010

Pen Fatales

http://www.pensfatales.com

August 7, 2010

Lipstick Chronicles

http://thelipstickchronicles.typepad.com/

September 16, 2010

Stacy Juba

http://www.stacyjuba.com/

T.B.A.

Dazed and Confused

http://www.llbartlett.typepad.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Interview:

The Long Quiche Goodbye

An Interview of Avery Aames

Avery, why set your mystery in a cheese shop?

Why not a cheese shop?  I’m offering up a tasty mystery.  An amateur sleuth is usually privy to all sorts of gossip.  The Cheese Shop in my book is a hub in the town of Providence, Ohio—a quaint, fictional town in Holmes County.  The area is surrounded by rolling hills and Amish country. We have cheese farms, dairy farms, honeybee farms, budding wineries, expanding tourism, and history.  So much history.  The Cheese Shop, located on one of the four streets that abut the Village Green, is a gathering place.  Gossip abounds.  The Cheese Shop proprietor, Charlotte Bessette, is a fixer by nature.  A problem solver.  She listens, she loves, she cares.  In the first novel, when Charlotte’s grandmother is suspected of murder, how can Charlotte not get involved?

Tell me about your research.

Oh, what fun it’s been.  What’s not to like about cheese?  I thought I knew cheese when I started the series.  You know, I enjoyed Cheddar and Edam and a good Gouda.  But I had no idea about the wealth of cheeses in this world.  From Europe to South Africa to Australia to all over the United States.  Cheese farms are springing up everywhere.  There are cheese festivals, grilled cheese festivals, cheese contests.  And have you watched the Food Network lately?  Everything is about cheese.  And how about the creativity going into the cheese names?  Sure, you have the ones you know: Brie, Camembert, Cheddar.  But how about Etorki, UnieKaas Gouda, Clothbound Cheddar, Roaring 40’s Blue?

There aren’t enough days in the year to sample a bite of every cheese made.  I’m having so much fun.  And because I’m blogging now with other mystery writers who write foodie mysteries, I’m cooking something new each week.  And it involves cheese, or at the very least wine.  Yum.  My husband has never been happier!

Do you have any quirky characters in your book?

Do I.  Charlotte is a heroine with flaws.  She cares too much.   She doesn’t have much confidence when it comes to love.   And she is passionate about cheese.  But she’s “normal.”   Her Grandmother, whom Charlotte calls Grandmére, is a kook.  She is the town’s mayor and runs the local theater, Providence Playhouse.  Once a ballerina, she fled war-torn France to come to America with the love of her life.  She and Pépère raised Charlotte when Charlotte’s parents were killed in a car accident.  Grandmére is colorful, a gypsy, outspoken, and a dynamo for someone in her seventies.

Then there’s Rebecca, the Amish girl who left her Amish community to see the world. She is Charlotte’s assistant in The Cheese Shop.  She is a huge fan of TV shows about crime.  CSI, Murder She Wrote, Law and Order, you name it.  She loves to egg Charlotte into investigating, much to the exasperation of the local police, headed up by Chief Urso, a teddy bear of a man who knows what he’s doing and doesn’t like that others might stick their noses in – namely Charlotte.   Note…he’s not the love of her life.  Jordan Pace, a hunky local cheese farmer is.  Except he has a very mysterious past.

I’ve seen some of the blurbs.  Theyr’e great.  Want to share a couple? 

NY Times bestselling author Lorna Barrett says:   “It’s not just gouda, it’s great.”
National bestselling author Krista Davis says, “It’s a bold new series to be savored like a seductive brie ….

What’s coming from next Avery?

Lost and Fondue is book two.   Every title will have a reference to cheese.  In Lost and Fondue, one of Charlotte’s best friends, Meredith, wants to turn the old Ziegler Winery into a boutique collage, but the winery has a dark history.  When an artist turns up dead in the cellar, and Meredith’s niece is suspected of the crime, she begs Charlotte to help her clear her niece.

June 21, 2010

Barnes and Noble bookclub (that's us!)

July 6, 2010

KZSB 1290 AM  7:35 a.m., PDT
Santa Barbara, CA

July 17, 2010

Sherry Borzo podcast
http://www.thedeliciousstory.com

July 28, 2010 

KORN  1490 AM Let's Talk  9:45 a.m. CDT

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery's Tidbits title.

The Long Quiche Goodbye debuts July 6. Starting July 7, I’ll be traveling to many states to do book signings. New York, Connecticut, North Carolina, Arizona, and Ohio. Oh, and California. Yes, I’m already in California, but I’ll be going north and south. Why all the travel, you might ask? Well, so many of my pals have given me such great support over the years that I want to go to those cities where I’ve lived and say thank you in person. If you have the chance, join me at one of the venues. I’ve posted my event travels on my website at:http://www.averyaames.com/events.html.

I will also be doing what is called a blog tour. Find the schedule by clicking here. I’ve written blogs about cheese, touring, writing, and more, and may I tell you that now I know what it feels like to be a journalist with a deadline!!! How do they do it? Mind you, writing glibly doesn’t come easily to me, so if you read some of the blogs, please comment and give me a little pat on the back. I have a passion for writing short stories, but sharing my “wisdom” (which falls way short of many of my erudite pals) feels sort of funky. [Though I have to admit I am an expert at perseverance, which I will blog about on my agent’s “Bookends” site.] Note: A comment on any of the blogs puts you in a pool to win an autographed book.

As to other fun stuff…I’ve got another contest running. Why another contest, you ask? You’ve probably all entered at least one. A couple of you have won. First, contests foster a sense of fun. And second, contests are meant to stir up “buzz.” The only way to truly make my publishers happy is for me to sell a lot of books. The best way to sell more books is by word of mouth. If you like the book, your friend might as well. So I hope you’ll share the news about the contest and the launch of The Long Quiche Goodbye with a friend. The contest started June 9 and runs to July 5. The winner will be announced on my launch date. Here are the rules. There’s nothing to buy. You be the sleuth!

NAME THAT CHEESE RECIPE

Rules: Track down the recipe on my website that has eggs, Edam and white pepper, go back to the Name That Cheese Recipe page and fill in your answer, along with your email, name and address, then press Submit for a chance to win one of the following:

One of you will win a $25 gift certificate at your favorite bookstore.

Two of you will win signed copies of 
The Long Quiche Goodbye

Three of you will win a Long Quiche Goodbye magnet.

You can ask friends for help. Spread the word and share the fun!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

cheese

Cheese title.

Brie--a soft-ripened cheese with a white rind--was created in the region of Brie (big surprise), Picture of Brie cheese.in France. According to legend, Brie was discovered during the reign of Charlemagne. It became popular when, around 1814 during the Vienna Congress, there was an argument about which country made the finest cheese. Talleyrand, a Frenchman, suggested a competition, assuming that his French cheese would win. It did and became known as the King of Cheeses – Brie de Meaux.

Brie is expensive to make. It takes about 6.6 pounds of milk to make one wheel of Brie. It also has a very fragile curd, which requires a special temperature and special maturation room to make it happen. But a good Brie is worth the cost. The taste is rich with hazelnuts, fruits, and herbs. Remember, you must allow Brie to come to room temperature to taste its full flavor. Note: I wasn’t always a fan of Brie, probably because it had been served too cold or too old. But I recently decided to try it again, now that I know more about how to enjoy cheese. I bought an excellent Brie (worth the price) and was inspired to serve it with a homemade chutney. Delicious, if I do say so myself. [You’ll need a spoon.]

Click on a link below for printable recipes, and enjoy!

Cheese Souffle with Gouda.

Mascarpone Stilton Torte recipe title.

Ingredients:

½ yellow onion, chopped fine
1 Tablespoon oil
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon cloves
2 slices mango, chopped
½ tomato chopped fine
1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
4 ounce wedge of Triple Cream Brie  * brought to room temperature
8-10 crackers or crisp bread

Directions:

Cook chopped onion in oil until wilted.  Add brown sugar, vinegar, thyme, cloves.  Cook one minute.  Remove from heat.  Toss in mango, basil and tomatoes and toss until combined.

Set on a plate.

Adorn with a wedge of brie and crackers or slices of crisp bread.

Use a spoon to put chutney on crackers. Add slice of cheese.  Yum!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Picture of Fromage Fort.

Fromage Fort recipe title.

Ingredients:

One pound leftover cheeses, three kinds is enough but five to six kinds would be superb!!! 
3 -4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. groundpepper

Directions:

Take cheese.  Trim off any mold or rind or dried parts.

Cut the cheese into cubes.

Put the cheese in a food processor.

Toss in three to four cloves of garlic smashed up. Chop for a few seconds.

Add one half cup of dry white wine and one teaspoon ground pepper.  Puree until creamy, about thirty seconds.

Remove and transfer into a crock or bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Let warm to room temperature to serve with crusty bread or crackers.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mascarpone Stilton Torte recipe title.

Picture of Easy Pumpkin Pie.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients:

For crust:
1/2 cup graham crackers crumbs (or crunchy chocolate chip cookies, pounded into crumbs)
2 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. sugar

For filling: 
1 cup sugar
12 oz. cream cheese softened
12 oz. Ricotta cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin
4 eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger

Directions:

Make the crust by combining the cracker crumbs, butter and 1 Tbs. sugar.  Press into the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan.  Bake the crust for 5 minutes, then set aside until ready to fill.

In a large mixing bowl,combinethe cheese, 1 cup sugar, vanilla, pumpkin, eggs, spices. Beat on HIGH until smooth and creamy.

Pour into the springform.

Bake for 60-70 minutes.

The top will be a bit darker by this point.

Turn off oven and let stand in oven for 1 hour to SET.

When the cake is at room temperature, put it into the refrigerator.

When the cake is chilled, run a knife around the outer rim and then remove the springform pan sides.

Serve plain or with whipped cream.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Long Quiche Goodbye

Book Club Questions:

Main Course:

Family is the most important thing in the world to Charlotte.  How did it affect you to find out about Charlotte’s parents?

A theme of the book could be how one moment can change your life and the lives of others forever.  How has this twist of fate affected you personally?  How did it affect Charlotte?

How did you feel about how Charlotte balanced the new elements of her life, job, extended family, and love relationship?  Did you mind that she was a snoop?  Are there any aspects of Charlotte that didn’t ring true?

Tidbits:

Creating a credible villain is one of the writer’s hardest tasks.  Readers want to know the “why”.  Did the reasons for the victim’s murder ring true?  Was the killer a sympathetic character?

Which of the secondary characters was your favorite and why?

Morsels:

Cheese is a major factor of A Cheese Shop mystery series.  Did you find the mentions of cheese satisfying?

Which was your favorite meal?

Will you try the recipes at the back of the book?

Dessert:

As is common in a lot of cozy mysteries nowadays, we also have a romantic element to consider.

While investigating the murder of a prominent citizen in Providence and defending her grandmother, the main protagonist, Charlotte Bessette, finds her romance heating up with the mysterious cheese maker, Jordan Pace. 

What do you think of the romantic chemistry between Charlotte and Jordan?  Do they make an interesting couple, one that you would want to read about in future books? 

An interesting twist is provided when Mystery Woman appears on the scene, and she’s hugging Jordan Pace.  Who did you think she was?  By the end of the book, do you like her?  Does she add mystery to Jordan’s life as well?

On a lighter note, Chief of Police Umberto Urso used to have a crush on Charlotte.  Do you think he still does?  Will they ever date?  How would that relationship be different from the standard female amateur sleuth falling in love with the male detective?

Thanks to each and every one of you for reading 
The Long Quiche Goodbye
 and finding the time to discuss it. 

Next up:

Lost and Fondue
Berkley Prime Crime
May 2011

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Find Avery on Facebook:

Link to Avery Aames on Facebook.

Follow Avery on Twitter: 

Follow Avery Aames on Twitter

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome Myspace Comments

Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Avery - thanks for joining us this week. I met you last fall and it seemed like forever until your book would be out. Now that it's mere weeks away from the release date, are you nervous? Excited? Exhausted?