Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES to our Month of Cozy(ish) Crime!

Thank you, Becke, for the opportunity!  I can't tell you how much fun it's been to write about cheese, to think like a cheese monger, to create recipes that I can include in the book as well as on the blog that I share with five other foodie mystery authors:  Mystery Lovers Kitchen.  http://www.mysteryloverskitchen.com  

If anyone is interested, I have posted recipes on my website as well as the blog, with pictures.  And I write a newsletter that shares histories of certain cheeses.  Fun stuff.  I'm so lucky.

Avery

"Life is great; cheese makes it better!"

Say cheese!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery Lovers\

Hi Avery -- This looks like a fun place!

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Aha, Becke, you "outed" me as Daryl.  yes, folks, I am two people at this time.  I write under the pseudonym Avery Aames for my delicate but deadly cozies.  I write thrillers (that have not yet been published) under the name Daryl Wood Gerber.  Luckily, I'm a Gemini, so I can handle having two completely separate personalities, though Avery and Daryl do look amazingly similar.

Best to all,

Avery  (aka Daryl) but for the purposes of the bookclub, I'll be Avery for the time being.

Say Cheese!

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

C'mon, you've got to admit you LOVE this cover.  I love it.  It makes my mouth water.  And yes, quiche does play a part in the book.

Avery

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

I hope you enjoy the trailer.  I had such fun making this movie.  I took lots of pictures, learned an application through Apple (on my Mac computer), and told the story.  It's fun, should make you smile, and hopefully make you hungry for more.

~Avery

becke_davis

Looking forward to visiting with you more tomorrow!

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

This is a fun contest.  Lots of people have entered, but that doesn't mean you don't have a chance.  Check out my website and be the sleuth!  It's fun.

~Avery

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

By the way, Ohio is so beautiful.  Rolling hills, lots of farms, warm friendly people.  I've got pictures of Ohio and cheese on my website.  Take the tour.

~Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery_Aames wrote:

By the way, Ohio is so beautiful.  Rolling hills, lots of farms, warm friendly people.  I've got pictures of Ohio and cheese on my website.  Take the tour.

~Avery

I live in Cincinnati, and I can vouch for that - Ohio is really pretty!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Avery,

Welcome to the Mystery Board. Your book cover does look edible. I am just going to take a look at your website.

pen21

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Pen21, hope you enjoy the website.

Becke, again, thanks for the opportunity.  I'm in Los Angeles and now officially up for Monday.  BTW, I love your little mouse picture!

You asked, "Am I nervous?"  Yes.  Most definitely.  This is my first book, and though I have had a short story published and a TV show get up and running, and though I've actually starred in stage plays, I have never before had the opportunity where thousands of people could read something I wrote and comment.  I'm hoping The Long Quiche Goodbye resonates with the readers.  I hope they find Charlotte and her love of family endearing.  I hope they understand and embrace her passion for her home, for her career, for those she loves.   And I am traveling to a bunch of cities to see friends.  (I have lived in numerous cities.)  I would like to say thanks in person to all of those people who emotionally supported me as I struggled to get published.  I am honored, scared, delighted...and very very busy.

~Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Avery, and Happy Monday!

I see that your second book already has an approximate release date. Does that mean you're working on the third book in the series now?

Can you give us a hint about what happens in book 2? I've posted some details about your upcoming release, but we can post an excerpt, too, if you have one.

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

There is an excerpt in book one for book two:  Lost and Fondue.  I'll have to check with my editor to see if she'll allow me to post it here.  I know that my website maven is posting a Sneak Preview of chapter one for  The Long Quiche Goodbye in the next day or so.

This is not the official blurb from the back of the book, but in a nutshell:  In Lost and Fondue, Charlotte's friend Meredith wants to convert the abandoned Ziegler Winery into a college.  To commemorate the event, art students, including Meredith's niece, come to Providence to paint landscapes of the winery.  When one of the art students is murdered, Meredith's niece comes under suspicion, and Meredith begs Charlotte for help. 

Yes, I am at work on book three:  working title:  Clobbered by Camembert.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You have the best titles! I hear a lot of authors don't get much input on their book titles. Are these titles you came up with? I love them!

Tell us a little about yourself and your road to publication!

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Thanks.  Yes, I do come up with my own titles.  I have another dozen with "cheese" references in them, but some are too long.  The Long Quiche Goodbye is long, as well, but the publisher liked it because it was clever.  It's a combination between two movie titles:  The Long Goodbye and The Long Kiss Goodnight.  Fun.  

I had a long road to publication.  I wrote a number of mysteries, suspense and thriller novels, and though agents were excited about my writing, this is a tough business and an agent must LOVE the writing and believe he/she can sell it.  As I turned toward writing traditional mysteries, an agent approached me with A Cheese Shop Mystery series.  Berkley Publishing wanted a series with this hook.  I was asked if I could write it?  I jumped at the chance, and there you have it (short version).  I adore cheese.  I'm passionate about it.  I have had the best time doing research.  Yummy fun.  I've tested out recipes.  As I said before, I've joined a blog - MYSTERY LOVERS KITCHEN - where five other foodie mystery writers blog about recipes and their books and characters.  Quite fun.  And lately I've joined another blog called KILLER CHARACTERS where many cozy authors share daily perspectives from the point of view of their characters.  Quite fun.  

I'm currently working on book three, and in the meantime, I also am working on another thriller that I'd like to see published.  It's near and dear to my heart.   We'll have to see how A Cheese Shop Mystery series sells first.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm jealous of your research - I'm a cheese lover, too!

Boy, you aren't kidding about this being a tough business. Now that you're published, do you think your agent will reconsider your earlier stories?

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

I'm having lunch with my editor in July right after the launch.  We'll be chatting about all sorts of things.  We'll have to see!

There are always ideas popping in my head.  I don't know if I can write as many as there are. Maybe that's why James Patterson has a staff of other writers.  He wants to get ALL his stories written somehow.  :smileyhappy:

Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Have you always been a mystery fan? What authors were your favorites when you were growing up?

Who are the authors you read today?

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

I have always loved mysteries.  I started with Nancy Drew, graduated to Agatha Christie, and then went on to read Sue Grafton, Lisa Scottoline, Michael Connelly, Harlan Coban, Lisa Gardner.  I've read thrillers (including Lee Child and Daniel Silva).  I've read cozies by Krista Davis and Lorna Barrett, Julie Hyzy, Cleo  Coyle and so many others.  I enjoy writers like Hallie Ephron and Hank Phillippi Ryan.  I try to get my hands on lots of different genres. Just finished Julie Hyzy's Grace Under Pressure (great pace and fun). Right now, I'm reading a thriller called The Ark, by debut author Boyd Morrison (think Indiana Jones for the present decade).  Next up, I'm reading Night of the Living Deed by E.J. Copperman.  So many books...so little time.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Avery  I signed up to receive any Iformation about you and of course you Books on your Lovely Blog  I entered Your Contest,but I have a feeling My Answer might be wrong : ( Following you on twitter as well As A Vermonter..We love Good Fresh Cheese.Your Books look like ones I am going to read&love and a Great Gift for a Friend who makes her own cheese..Enjoy your time here,we are Glad to see you on "Board" Susan Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer