Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES to our Month of Cozy(ish) Crime!

Hi, Vermont Cozy.  Nice to see you here.   I think everyone who loves cheese and even those who DON'T will like this series.  I had someone say she couldn't read my book because she couldn't eat cheese, and I laughed (nicely) and said, she didn't have to eat the book.  :smileyhappy:    It truly is for people who want to see a new view of life, in a town they've never visited, with people they've never known.  And the reader will get a glimpse inside the life of a cheese shop owner as well as all the friends and family in her life.

Best,

Avery

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Avery:

Can't wait to read your book! I love cheese too! Your recipes look very enticing also! I also signed onto your Name The Cheese Contest!

What is your favorite cheese? I would have to say that mine would be Bleu Cheese. I always order Bleu Cheese dressing and love Bleu Cheese Burgers - actually anything with Bleu Cheese.

Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sorry I'm running back and forth today - I have a deadline on a garden article, and I've been trying to pin down the last person I have to interview. Back shortly!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery_Aames wrote:

Aha, Becke, you "outed" me as Daryl.  yes, folks, I am two people at this time.  I write under the pseudonym Avery Aames for my delicate but deadly cozies.  I write thrillers (that have not yet been published) under the name Daryl Wood Gerber.  Luckily, I'm a Gemini, so I can handle having two completely separate personalities, though Avery and Daryl do look amazingly similar.

Best to all,

Avery  (aka Daryl) but for the purposes of the bookclub, I'll be Avery for the time being.

Say Cheese!

Uh oh - was that a secret? Yikes! So sorry I blew your cover!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery_Aames wrote:

C'mon, you've got to admit you LOVE this cover.  I love it.  It makes my mouth water.  And yes, quiche does play a part in the book.

Avery

Are you kidding? How could anyone NOT love it? It's gorgeous, but, yes - that's a problem. It makes me hungry!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Avery_Aames wrote:

I hope you enjoy the trailer.  I had such fun making this movie.  I took lots of pictures, learned an application through Apple (on my Mac computer), and told the story.  It's fun, should make you smile, and hopefully make you hungry for more.

~Avery

Where was the trailer filmed, Avery? Beautiful! Is Providence a "real" place, or is that sign from a different Providence?

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Hi, Eadie.

My favorite cheese is Manchego.  It's a sheep's milk cheese that's firm yet creamy with a warm, nutty flavor.  I also fell in love with a good Brie about a week ago.  Until then I couldn't remember having a good one, but I let it set to room temperature and it melted in my mouth.  Yum!

I saw that you entered the contest.  Good luck.

Best,

~Avery

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Avery...You must meet all sorts of people.If you happen to ask me what my Favorite Cheese is I would have to say Besides Brie,.Its Gorgonzola..  I love it and its so versatile..Do you have Favorites? I haven't read all the posts yet..BTW The Brie must be a certain kind and 60/40 which is the norm....Thanks for responding to my post...Susan.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've never tried Manchego - it sounds interesting! Are there any unusual cheeses you would recommend, Avery?

Señorío de Quevedo Manchego Sheep Milk Cheese

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Some of my favorite cheeses include Taleggio (soft and creamy) - great on toast with jam.  San Simon it's pear-shaped and like a rich white cheddar.  Appenzeller - a type of "Swiss cheese" with a very nutty flavor.  Collier's Welsh Cheddar - melt in your mouth fabulous.   So is Kerrygold.  The list goes on....

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I remember Kerrygold from when I lived in England. My favorite there, which is kind of hard to find here, is Wensleydale. Whole Foods sometimes has a cranberry Wensleydale that is wonderful!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Do you know anything about brick cheese? When I lived in Chicago (which is very close to Wisconsin, land of the Cheeseheads), we could get brick cheese everywhere. I've NEVER found it here in Cincinnati. It's really good on sandwiches. A friend introduced me to it when we were in high school. Her family was German and they would have brick cheese, summer sausage (Thuringer) and sliced tomatoes on whole wheat. Yummy, if fattening!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I found some funny cheese(ish) pictures:

becke_davis

Sorry - I can't resist!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery - Awhile back, I asked friends in my local writer's group to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors.

This is what they came up with:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Hi Avery!

I can't say I'm a cheesehead, but I do love good books, and The Long Quiche Goodbye sounds wonderful. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I also live in the Cincinnati area and have spent time (writing retreat!) in Holmes County, at a little inn. The area is just gorgeous and it's easy to imagine a little cheese shop there.

Writing as Heather Webber:
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ~ February 2011
Writing as Heather Blake:
IT TAKES A WITCH ~ January 2012
My blog: www.booksbyheather.net
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Good Morning Avery.. I believe  I have seen Manchego.Will ask my friend who makes her own cheese..She will know.It sounds wonderful...SusanVtc    Always room temperature for Brie..I agree...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

I actually made a Wensleydale grilled cheese on our blog about six months ago.  A girlfriend had found the cheese at Costco and said I must try it.  It was delicious.  Tart because of the cranberries and it melted well.

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Lots of cheeses are "brick-style" cheeses.  Cheddars and the like.  I've never had anything specifically called brick cheese.  I'll check it out.

~Avery

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

These are hysterical pictures.  The one of the kid on the grater slide is well, ouch!

~Avery