Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES to our Month of Cozy(ish) Crime!

Max is our Labrador mix, mostly Lab.  We've had him 13 years.  We fetched him from the pound on Valentine's Day.  At the time, we had another dog named Angel (who we'd found at the park without a collar and skin and bones).  Sweet Angel passed away the day I got the offer to write A Cheese Shop Mystery series.  Angel was not pleased with Max until about 2 weeks into the introduction into our home, and then when he (5 months old) started licking her ears and making her feel like the princess she was, she accepted him.  They were best friends.  Probably still are.  :smileyhappy:  Max is a hunk of sweet love.  He can bark but it's out of fear.  He loves to walk, love belly rubs, loves his treats. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery_Aames wrote:

Advice:  Learn to persevere.  Take a writing class. Take two.  Write one book (and then another).  Join groups like Sisters in Crime and its online group  Guppies (for the great unpublished) because there are chapters and friends and people in the same "newbie" boat.  Within Guppies, there are critique groups, groups to  help you search for agents, write query letters etc.  Get into a critique group.  Develop a tough skin.  Learn about publishing.  Read books on publishing.  Get Writers Digest magazine.  Lots of good tips in there.  There's a great book by independent editor Chris Roerden called Don't Sabotage Your Submission and another called Don't Murder Your Mystery.  Terrific!  Helpful to all, even once you're published.  Also get The Chicago Manual of Style and stick by its principles.  But most of all feel passionate about what you do.  Passion and perseverance and friends who support you will carry you through.

Excellent advice - thank you!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery_Aames wrote:

Max is our Labrador mix, mostly Lab.  We've had him 13 years.  We fetched him from the pound on Valentine's Day.  At the time, we had another dog named Angel (who we'd found at the park without a collar and skin and bones).  Sweet Angel passed away the day I got the offer to write A Cheese Shop Mystery series.  Angel was not pleased with Max until about 2 weeks into the introduction into our home, and then when he (5 months old) started licking her ears and making her feel like the princess she was, she accepted him.  They were best friends.  Probably still are.  :smileyhappy:  Max is a hunk of sweet love.  He can bark but it's out of fear.  He loves to walk, love belly rubs, loves his treats. 

Awwww - this got me all choked up! My dog was a Lab/Shepherd/Chow mix who made it to almost 13 years old before we lost her. Right now we are traveling so much, we're just enjoying our kids' dogs - a Yorkshire terrier and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
I'm so sorry about Angel, but I'm glad you have Max now. He sounds darling!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Avery_Aames wrote:

Awwww - this got me all choked up! My dog was a Lab/Shepherd/Chow mix who made it to almost 13 years old before we lost her. Right now we are traveling so much, we're just enjoying our kids' dogs - a Yorkshire terrier and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
I'm so sorry about Angel, but I'm glad you have Max now. He sounds darling!

Pets are wonderful. Those last few years are very special. I have an aging standard poodle, Bridget. Every moment with her is very special. Bridget takes good care of the 2 Japanese Chins I have. It is like she is the mom keeping them in line if they get too crazy. But is is hard to see them slow down and not move and not see so well. Pets add a lot to our lives.

Luanne

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

We just moved so I had to find a new groomer.  I called a recommended place yesterday, and the guy taking the information asked what my four-footed child's name was.   Very cute.  Love people like this.  They make me instantly comfortable.

In The Long Quiche Goodbye, Charlotte has a Ragdoll cat named Rags.  A rescue cat with a dog-like personality.   I have a picture of Rags on my website.    So beautiful!

http://www.averyaames.com/rags_characters.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I don't think I posted the link to your sneak preview of The Long Quiche Goodbye:

http://www.averyaames.com/pdfs/books/chapter_one_sneakpeak.pdf

And here's the link again to Avery's NAME THAT CHEESE RECIPE contest:

http://www.averyaames.com/june_contest.html

Read about her characters here:

Charlotte: http://www.averyaames.com/charlotte_characters.html

Claire: http://www.averyaames.com/claire_character.html

And, of course, RAGS

Rags is a fluffy Ragdoll cat with the easiest demeanor in the world.  Charlotte adopted him from an animal rescuer in Providence, Ohio.   He has rabbit-like fur, marred by one brown spot near the tail.  More often than not, Rags thinks he’s a dog.  He loves to walk on a leash.  He can also be like any other cat, lazy and empirical—a lap cat. Like a ragdoll, he might go limp in one’s arms or drape himself across the shoulders of whoever will have him. 

However, Rags is a bit of a scaredy-cat. He was attacked as a kitten by a bully of an alley cat, which is why he has the brown patch on his rump.  He was taken in by the local animal rescuer who then placed him in Charlotte’s care.  Of special note... Rags loves theater.  He adores going to rehearsals and meows loudly when people are singing.  Charlotte’s pretty sure he’s a tenor.

Rags, the ragdoll cat.

Read more about Ragdoll Cats here: http://www.averyaames.com/ragdoll_cats.html

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Pen 21 - Bridget sounds like a wonderful girl.  How sweet that she takes care of the Chins.

~Avery

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Good Morning Avery,I was just on your twitter page and saw so many recipes.Saved a few Thank you.. And also a tweet about "Dog House" By Carol Prisant.I posted it  'Here on Mystery.".Its The Party Central Tread..Its not hard to find..We are On an Island we created"Mimosa Island"..Today Luanne(pen) who owns our Virtual "Mimosa Cafe" Is having a Lunch  Special and Till Closing"Make your Own Sandwich"..We are of course Virtual  :  )..We are Remote..We Have Many Islanders who prefer to remain Nameless.And Lots of Shopping...Our Food of course is of The Highest Quality"..Stop by and say Hi..You could Post a Favorite Recipe and we will serve it..Its all fun and Imagination...Hope you can Join us...We have a Virtual Architect "Miles Caprini" and His entourage coming to "Mimosa island "today.Of course Its Always A Mystery and we get into trouble..So Fun  ;  )Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery - we've talked about your favorites cheeses. Are there any you DON'T like?

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Limburger.  LOL  Though I'm sure some people like it a lot. 

There are others that people might think are "stinky" cheeses, but I like them a lot.  

Taleggio, soft, pliable, has a strong aroma and a mild nutty flavor.  Great with crackers.  Melts well.

Morbier, originally with an ash line down the middle because of morning and afternoon pourings of milk (now usually a vegetable "ash").  A strong aroma but a yummy flavor.  Pretty on a cheese platter.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

When I was young I was very nervous of strong and/or unfamiliar cheeses. Living in England for a few years, and traveling in Europe, helped make me more adventurous but I must admit I've never given Limberger a shot. Its reputation precedes it, I'm afraid.

Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Good morning, Avery! Hi Becke! True to my nickname, I'm late Kate, but hey, I finally made it over here! :smileyhappy:

I've been so excited about the Cheese Shop Mysteries for a year now and can't wait to read The Long Quiche Goodbye. I know it's going to be a huge hit! I also want to tell everyone that Avery will be guesting with me at Romance Bandits on July 19, talking about the Romance of Cheese. It's going to be fun so I hope everyone will stop by and say Cheese.

Yes, I just had to say that. :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers!

Kate Carlisle
The Bibliophile Mysteries
becke_davis
0 Kudos

If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Series #2) 
Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Good morning, Avery! Hi Becke! True to my nickname, I'm late Kate, but hey, I finally made it over here! :smileyhappy:

I've been so excited about the Cheese Shop Mysteries for a year now and can't wait to read The Long Quiche Goodbye. I know it's going to be a huge hit! I also want to tell everyone that Avery will be guesting with me at Romance Bandits on July 19, talking about the Romance of Cheese. It's going to be fun so I hope everyone will stop by and say Cheese.

Cheers!

Kate - so good to see you here! I've got July 19 marked on my calendar - sounds like fun!

Many of you will remember Kate from her visit last year. She's had a new book out since then. I've read them both, and I know this crowd will like them for sure!

Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Series #1)

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Series #2) 
Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Cheers!

Kate - so good to see you here! I've got July 19 marked on my calendar - sounds like fun!

Many of you will remember Kate from her visit last year. She's had a new book out since then. I've read them both, and I know this crowd will like them for sure!

Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Series #1)

Kate,

You are in my TBR pile. I haven't gotten to them yet. But I will.

Luanne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

For those of you who have just joined us, there are more cozy authors visiting here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/JUNE-A-Month-of-Cozy-ish-Crime/m-p/537175#U537175

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Don't miss Kate's Bibliophile books.  They're wonderful!  

~Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery - we've learned a lot about you this week. What is a little-known fact about you?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery - your feature runs through Sunday but it's up to you if you want to post over the weekend. I'll be checking in either way. Have a good weekend!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for joining us this week, Avery! I'm really looking forward to reading your books! I don't think I'll ever look at cheese again without thinking of you!!

Please come back and visit again - I've really enjoyed your visit!

Orkut Scraps - Thank You

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Thank you, Becke, for a lovely discussion.  You obviously have a great group in this book club, and you were a fabulous moderator!

Best to all and good reading.

Say Cheese!

Avery