Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES to our Month of Cozy(ish) Crime!

This is an hysterical video.  Makes me laugh every time.  The Cheese Shop in The Long Quiche Goodbye is NOTHING like this cheese shop.  It's a warm, lovely place to come, with lots of people who are knowledgeable about cheese.  The cheese case is always filled with good selections and there are no musicians.  But if there were, they would be on key.  :smileyhappy:

LOL

~Avery

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Great questions.

1)  Well, with books about cheese, I have to say taste, smell, visual, and even touch.  Usually when I write, I listen to music and it stimulates me in emotional ways.

2)  I wish I'd written Gone with the Wind.  Kid you not. That book moved me like no other when I was young.  I would have loved to have written Rebecca, The Three Musketeers, Goldfinger or any Nancy Drew.  I imagined I could be Nancy Drew when I grew up.  I tried my hand at a mystery at the young age of nine.

3)  I love the show Castle.  It's witty, fresh, light.  I think Castle's relationship with his daughter and mother are fabulous.  His daughter is the sharpest woman on the planet, just like her grandmother (who is ageless!).  And Castle's relationship with Kate Beckett is fun, sexy.  She's smart, witty.  I love how the screenwriters have written that character.   RE; Gerard Butler.  I like him, but there are times I really don't.  He's just not loose enough yet as a comedic actor.  I prefer him in darker roles.  

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Re: questions 4-6

4)  I watch Castle, Chuck, Glee  (Guess I like one-named titles).  Burn Notice.  In Plain Sight.  Occasionally the Mentalist.  And when it was on, Lost.  [Wasn't happy with the ending.]

5)  How would I cast my book?

Amy Adams or  Katherine Heigl as Charlotte 

Hugh Jackman as Jordan Pace

Do I need much more cast than that?  (LOL)

Okay...

Rebecca could be any fresh, coltish actress with sass

Grandmere would be Dame Judy Densch with French accent

Pepere would be Bob Hoskins, also with French accent

Urso would be someone larger than Gerard Butler but that kind of energy and directness

Fun to think about making it into a movie.  Or a TV show.  It would play well and think how the Food Network might latch onto it because of all the cheese recipes!

6)  BOTH ways work.   I like to outline.  I am a plotter.  I will allow the outline to morph as I'm writing, but I like to know the basic route I'm going to take and where I'm going to end up.  I do like a rollercoaster, however.  I write about this topic on a blog tomorrow for Thrillerfest (a conference that's coming up next month in New York).  I like to know the clues, the red herrings, etc. that I'm going to include to the reader is fairly treated...not that a pantser doesn't do that.  But sometimes a pantser has to go back and insert those when a plotter has them up front and can slide them in. 

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Hi, Heather!

I'm going to be in Holmes County at a book signing in August.   There is a pictorial tour on my website if you're homesick:

http://www.averyaames.com/images/slideshows/holmes_county_ohio/index.html

Loved Holmes County.  Rolling hills and a gentle environment.  You can hear yourself think.

~Avery

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Hi, all.  I'm going to be away from my computer until early afternoon.  Promise I'll read and respond to everything then.

Enjoy the day!

Say Cheese.

~Avery

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Avery, Hi and welcome, Hmmm mysteries starring cheese in various forms and set in a place that I would like to call home.

The series looks scrumptious ;-) I think I'll have to put them on my plate.

I read your bio and it's interesting that you used to co-star in mystery series too. Do you miss the glitter and flash of being on TV.

Thanks for being here and chatting with us

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Heather-Webber wrote:

Hi Avery!

I can't say I'm a cheesehead, but I do love good books, and The Long Quiche Goodbye sounds wonderful. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I also live in the Cincinnati area and have spent time (writing retreat!) in Holmes County, at a little inn. The area is just gorgeous and it's easy to imagine a little cheese shop there.

Hi Heather! Thanks for joining us! I'm not sure I've ever been to Holmes County - I'll have to check it out. Have you ever been to Murphin Ridge Inn in southern Ohio? It's such a cool place!

http://www.murphinridgeinn.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery_Aames wrote:

Lots of cheeses are "brick-style" cheeses.  Cheddars and the like.  I've never had anything specifically called brick cheese.  I'll check it out.

~Avery

It's a white cheese, smooth and kind of bland. Don't know why I like it, but I do. It's similar to a cheddar but doesn't taste like cheddar.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery_Aames wrote:

Great questions.

1)  Well, with books about cheese, I have to say taste, smell, visual, and even touch.  Usually when I write, I listen to music and it stimulates me in emotional ways.

Are you the first to write cheese mysteries? I don't think I've ever come across any before.

2)  I wish I'd written Gone with the Wind.  Kid you not. That book moved me like no other when I was young.  I would have loved to have written Rebecca, The Three Musketeers, Goldfinger or any Nancy Drew.  I imagined I could be Nancy Drew when I grew up.  I tried my hand at a mystery at the young age of nine.

Oooh, good choices!

3)  I love the show Castle.  It's witty, fresh, light.  I think Castle's relationship with his daughter and mother are fabulous.  His daughter is the sharpest woman on the planet, just like her grandmother (who is ageless!).  And Castle's relationship with Kate Beckett is fun, sexy.  She's smart, witty.  I love how the screenwriters have written that character.  

As cute as Nathan Fillion is, I think his mom is still the most fun character on the show. And she's utterly gorgeous, too! (I LOVE her clothes!)

RE; Gerard Butler.  I like him, but there are times I really don't.  He's just not loose enough yet as a comedic actor.  I prefer him in darker roles.  

I'm with you there. I loved him in THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and DEAR FRANKIE, but I don't like his comedies.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, Avery. I have not read your books but would be willing to buy one and try it out. Welcome to this cozy little group.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've been trying to think of cheese-related places.

When my husband and I lived in London, one of our favorite places to take visitors was Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Pub:

The Olde Cheshire Cheese
Wine Office Court, 145 Fleet Street, City of London, London EC4A 2BU

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is one of the few pubs in London that can justify the 'Ye Olde' in its name. It was well known in the 17th century and many pubs have previously occupied this site, one of them, the Horn Tavern is recorded in 1538. The earliest incarnation was a guest house belonging to a 13th century Carmelite Monastery, the pub's vaulted cellars are thought to belong to that building. The pub was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and rebuilt the following year. 

Olde Cheshire Cheese

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery_Aames wrote:

Hi, all.  I'm going to be away from my computer until early afternoon.  Promise I'll read and respond to everything then.

Enjoy the day!

Say Cheese.

~Avery

No rush! I really appreciate all the time you're spending with us! I love your tagline - like this place in NYC:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's today's cheese funny - or should I say "weirdy"?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cheese of the Month page Title.

http://www.averyaames.com/cheese_of_moment.html

MISSISSIPPI STATE EDAM CHEESE

Get this, colleges have dairy and agricultural programs.  Okay, so you knew that.  But did you know that they make cheese and ice cream and sell it to the public?  From some pals who are great fans of MSU, we received a three-pound cannonball of Edam cheese.  The MSU Cheese Store is a division of the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station. 

The idea to make Edam cheese started in 1937.  An order to Holland to secure Edam hoops (molds) which left Holland just before the ports were closed in World War II.  Production started at a mere nine Edams a day to 400 a day!  Talk about a growing business.  This is a yummy cheese with a smooth texture and great melting qualities.  I decided, during the holidays, to see how it might work as an apple pie upper crust.  My guests were decidedly satisfied!

Edam cannonball.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

avery's tidbit title.

http://www.averyaames.com/howtobuy_cheese.html

Walking into a cheese shop or strolling through the cheese sections of a street market can be daunting.  But don’t despair.  When selecting, consider these questions.

Do you prefer soft, creamy cheeses or firmer ones?  You know, brie or cheddar?

Do you like strong cheeses, like gorgonzola, or milder cheeses like Monterey jack?

Do you like salty cheeses or cheese with a tang?

If you don’t know, don’t be shy. Ask the cheesemonger.  Many of the finer stores with staff attending the cheese counters will give you opportunities to taste before you buy.

And be adventurous.  Something might look a little different (i.e. covered in paper, or wrapped in herbs). Another might have a deep orange rind while another has a soft, almost marshmallow look – known as a bloomy rind.  If you’re unsure, ask for a cheese that looks like one you think you like (i.e. cheddar is hard and orange.  It is a cow’s milk cheese.  Ask for a hard, orange, cow’s milk cheese.  It won’t taste exactly the same.  Not if it was grown in another region by a different kind of cow.)  Explore.

Look for clues on the packages.  In most specialty shops, there will be labels on the cheeses with the region, the type of milk (either cow, goat, sheep and sometimes buffalo).  Some might have little hints as to taste and texture (soft, hard, tangy, sharp, robust).

When choosing a cheese, you might think about the food and wine you like.  If you prefer big, bold flavors, you’re going to enjoy big, bold cheese like cheddars, edam, stilton, and bleu cheeses.  If you favor milder flavors, you’ll lean toward milder cheeses like mozzarella, fresh goat cheese, and Monterey jack.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Artichoke Taleggio recipe title.

Picture of Asparagus Zucchini Quiche.

Ingredients:

1 pie shell (home baked or frozen)
1 teaspoon white pepper
6 asparagus, end snapped off and cut into 1” long pieces.
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 c. sliced leek tips
2 T. pine nuts
1/2 a small zucchini, diced [approx. 1/2 cup] 
1/4 cup Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup
3/4  cup milk
4 eggs
1 T. fresh basil snipped small
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
4 oz. shredded Edam cheese to taste

Directions:

Blanch asparagus for 1 minute then drain and rinse with cold water.

Saute leeks in olive oil at medium heat. When they turn limp, add pine nuts.

When pine nuts have toasted, take pan off burner, add drained asparagus,zucchini, sauté quickly.

Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of white pepper and 2 oz. shredded cheese on pie crust.

Put sautéed veggies and nuts on top of cheese.

Mix milk and eggs and seasonings together.
Pour into pie crust.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake 35-40  minutes at 375 until quiche is firm and lightly brown on top.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mascarpone Stilton Torte recipe title.

Picture of Mascarpone Stilton Torte

Ingredients:

1 lb. Mascarpone cheese (room temperature, this is key)
2 Tbs. honey
8 oz. Stilton cheese, sliced
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup Craisins

Directions:

In a bowl stir the honey with mascarpone.
In a very small bowl-shaped dish (deep), spray the sides with cooking oil. Line the bowl with saran wrap covering all sides, be sure to push the saran wrap flat. Spray again with cooking spray. Spread the sides and bottom with mascarpone mixture, about ¼” thick. 

Cut stilton into slices about ¼” thick and line the bottom with slices. Then layer ¼” mascarpone, then more stilton.

Keep layering until you reach the top. Top layer should be mascarpone. Tightly seal with saran wrap.

Refrigerate for a few hours until the mascarpone is firm. 

To serve, tip it over onto a serving plate and remove the saran wrap. 
Push crushed pecans on sides and craisins on top.

Serve with your favorite crackers.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mascarpone Stilton Torte recipe title.

Picture of Cheese Souffle with Gouda.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons rice flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/3 cups milk, hot
4 large egg yolks 
6 ounces Gouda, grated
5 egg whites plus 1 tablespoon water 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

Grease an 8-inch soufflé mold with 1 tablespoon butter. Add the Parmesan and roll around the mold to cover the sides. Cover with plastic and place in freezer for five minutes.

Separate the eggs.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a small saucepan, heat the 3 tablespoons of butter. Allow to boil.

In a separate bowl combine the rice flour, garlic powder, and kosher salt. Whisk this mixture into the melted butter. Cook for 2 minutes. It will be slightly brown.

Whisk in the hot milk and turn the heat to high. Once the mixture reaches a boil, remove from the heat.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks to a creamy consistency. Whisk the yolks into the milk mixture. Remove from the heat and add the cheese. Whisk until creamy smooth.

In a separate bowl, using a hand mixer, whip the egg whites and baking powder until glossy and holds a peak. Add 1/3 of the mixture to the base. Continue to add the whites by thirds, folding very gently.

Pour the mixture into the soufflé. Place soufflé pan on an aluminum pan.

Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Avery - you have so many great recipes on your website, it's hard to know which ones to try first!

Do you have a favorite cheese-y recipe?

Author
Avery_Aames
0 Kudos

Hi, Debbie.

I never had the flash and glitter of TV.  I was a working actress who did a lot of commercials and TV shows, an occasional small part in a movie, and I did a lot of stage work.  I went to one or two parties, but I was never a party person.  It was work...work I LOVED.  I would act again if I had the time, but writing is taking up all my time.

I thoroughly enjoyed working with Angela Lansbury.  She is one of my idols!!

~Avery (who worked as an actress under my "other" name:  Daryl Wood Gerber)