Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Andrew Gross for a special one-day feature!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Andrew Gross for a special one-day feature!

BIO

andy gross

OKAY, SO I WASN'T ALWAYS A THRILLER WRITER 

Who was? I actually did major in English at Middlebury, but after an MBA from Columbia, and a stint at the Leslie Fay Companies, a women's clothing firm started by my grandfather, I went into the sports apparel field. I ended up president of HEAD Ski and Tennis (to brag: we grew to #1 in America in both businesses while I was there) and later, le coq sportif, a French sports fashion line. It was one-too-many turnaround situations or more precisely--one that didn't turn around, that hastened my writing career. 

SO HOW'D YOU MEET JAMES PATTERSON?

Truth is, he called. Out of nowhere. An editor had given him the manuscript of a novel I was hoping to publish, HYDRA. At that point, I would have been elated if my gate guard (we live in a gated community) dialed in with a little praise. Jim said he had read the book and asked if we could meet for breakfast. He said he had several projects he wanted to write and not enough time to do them. I had the incredible foresight to say yes.

SO WHAT'S IT LIKE TO WORK WITH PATTERSON?

It was like a combination MFA and MBA rolled into one. He knows what kind of stories he wants to tell, has a keen sense of what will appeal to his readers, especially women, what's vital in a scene for it to succeed, knows exactly when the scene needs more--or generally, less! And he's an even better editor than he is a writer. Hopefully, I've learned a few things from him along the way.

SO WHAT HAPPENED?

I figured we'd do one book. It led to six in seven years. The Women's Murder Club Series became one of the leading crime series of all time! My personal favorite was The Jester set in the thirteenth century in France. If you missed it, I really recommend you go back and take a read. Lifeguard had a great, likeable hero with the odds all stacked against him. Judge & Jury, our last together, is coming out July 31, 2006. 

HOW DOES A WRITING PARTNERSHIP LIKE THAT WORK?

We alternate every word.

(Jim's line, actually.) To be honest, we always began with a concept and an outline that came from him, which we fleshed out into a detailed chapter- by-chapter outline. (Some chapters longer than in the actual book!) No writer's block here, the roadmap was always there. Every day, I knew exactly where I was going. That call from Jim changed my writing life!

SO WHAT'S NEXT?

My last three books have featured the Greenwich detectve Ty Hauck, but I'm putting him on a beach or a ketch somewhere for a couple of books to tell you two very personal and chilling stores. EYES WIDE OPEN, out July 12, combines two real life events from my own life: the tragic suicide of a young and troubled nephew; and the chance encounter years ago with an infamous cult killer from the Sixties-- you'll have to read the bgook to find out who! I promise, it's the richest, most terrifying one yet. And followed in 2012 with a wild tale of an event from one of my book tours gone crazily wrong! Then Ty fans-- he'll come off that beach!

WHAT'S THE SINGLE, MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN A CAREER CHANGE LIKE THIS?

A supportive wife!

And I have one, in Lynn. Never once did she tell me I was out of my mind. (At least, not to my face!) 

We live in Westchester County, New York. We have three terrific kids. Kristen lives in LA and is rising star int he apparel biz, far better than her old man. Matt sells financial products in Westchester. And Nick is graduating George Washington University this May-- and then onto who knows what!

And of course there's Tobey, our miraculous Westie! Read the short article on him

By the way, having a Mom who believes in you all the way is good too!

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS?

If I had to start with a couple of writerly things... Dog Soldiers, by Robert Stone, All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren, (Read it as a search for one's father, not as politics.) Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy & Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.

WHAT ABOUT IN YOUR OWN GENRE?

Sorry, Jim anything by Alan Furst or Robert Wilson. They both deserve much wider acclaim. When it comes to classic thrillers, The Wind-Chill Factor by Thomas Gifford,Tears of Autumn by Charles McCarry, Tell No One by Harlan Coben and No Time To Say Goodbye by Linwood Barkely are my favorites.

DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE QUOTE?

"Some people think they can and some think they can't and they're probably both right!" Henry Ford

"You can do anything you want in life, anything, if you want to badly enough."
Fred P. Pomerantz. My grandfather.

WHAT IS THE BEST SIDE BENEFIT FROM SEEING YOUR NAME AT THE TOP OF THE BESTSELLER LIST?

A hell of a lot easier commute.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Connect With Andy

Andrew Gross @The_AndrewGross

NYT bestselling thriller writer, cooks a bunch, stares at ceiling a lot. Graduate: Columbia B-school and James Patterson U.

http://andrewgrossbooks.com

ANDREW GROSS AUTHOR

https://www.facebook.com/TheAndrewGross

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8214.Andrew_Gross

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

No Way Back  

Overview

Wendy Gould is an attractive, happy suburban mom, and an experienced ex-cop. A chance meeting with a stranger in a hotel ends when the man is murdered and she's the only witness, forcing her to run from rogue federal agents determined to keep her silent, even if it means killing her. Things only get worse when the authorities—the wrong ones—find their way to her door, giving her no recourse but to flee from her only safe haven.

Lauritzia Velez, meanwhile, is a devoted nanny. She's also a woman with a deadly secret that has driven her into hiding until she can prove her innocence.

Scared and alone, these two women with nothing in common will eventually join forces and embark on a dangerous odyssey to find the truth and save their lives. It's a desperate hunt that leads them into a nefarious web of treachery, lies, and corruption involving drug lords, arms dealers, and shadowy figures in the highest echelons of government.

A breathtaking tale featuring two strong, sympathetic women who must rely on each other to take down powerful, lethal forces, No Way Back is a riveting tale full of twists and thrilling surprises from the bestselling author who is "coming up on the rails behind Harlan Coben and Lee Child" (Evening Standard, U.K.).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Andy - Welcome back to Barnes & Noble's Mystery Forum!

I don't remember knowing that your grandfather started Leslie Fay. My mom was a department manager for Marshall Field & Co. when I was growing up and it seemed like she LIVED in Leslie Fay outfits. Very cool!

Did you make a book trailer for your new book? I couldn't find one on YouTube.

I'll be checking in on and off tomorrow, but there will be periods when I'm offline. I'll have my granddaughter (8 months old) here, and I'll only be able to get online when she's napping. Since she's got a new tooth coming in, her naps have been pretty short this week. I'll be on more later in the day when she goes home, but in the meantime I hope everyone here will give you a big welcome!

Talk to you tomorrow - Happy Friday!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Very cool! I've never been a huge thriller fan, but this has made me want to check these books out.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
New User
HydraAuthor
0 Kudos

I'm here. Fire away. If anyone's out there.

Yes, Becke

I spent 20 yrs in the women's clothing business. I say it's how I studied up for my second life of writing about crime! My mom's name was Leslie Fay. Big company. At some point, I left it. Started doing apparel turnarounds in ski and tennis biz: HEAD< Le Loq Sportif, then some crummy Canadian compamy wich didn'tturn around, hastening my writing career!

Any questions, comments, I'm here.

becke_davis

Ryan_G wrote:

Very cool! I've never been a huge thriller fan, but this has made me want to check these books out.

I love thrillers that keep me on the edge of my seat while I'm reading. Andrew's books will keep you turning the pages - just don't start reading them before you go to bed!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

HydraAuthor wrote:

Yes, Becke

I spent 20 yrs in the women's clothing business. I say it's how I studied up for my second life of writing about crime! My mom's name was Leslie Fay. Big company. At some point, I left it. Started doing apparel turnarounds in ski and tennis biz: HEAD< Le Loq Sportif, then some crummy Canadian compamy wich didn'tturn around, hastening my writing career!

So we have a failed Canadian company to thank for your writing career? What a loss it would have been if they were successful!

Your mom's name was Leslie Fay? O.M.G. I'm calling my mom - she never goes on the computer but I bet she'll have my dad print out this thread for her!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

HydraAuthor wrote:

Yes, Becke

Thanks so much for joining us today! This is the first time we've had a one-day author feature, but I think this idea is going to be popular! So many visiting authors are on deadline or on the road. Are you home or on a book tour this week?

New User
HydraAuthor
0 Kudos

Yes, a failed Canadian ski company. Until then, I never sewriously thought about writing. Just something that was on my bucket list. Maybe one novel. Now I've done 14 (including  one with patterson.) The first novel I wrote, HYDRA, has still never made it to print.

New User
HydraAuthor
0 Kudos

Ryan,

I can make a case that thrillers are the most relelvent form of fiction being written today, as the subjects and crises described in them truly reflect the issues and the conflicts facing the world today. Just sayin....

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome Andrew:

I have read two of your books (Don't Think Twice and 15 Seconds) and have enjoyed them very much. I have The Dark Tide, Reckless, The Blue Zone and Eyes Wide Open in my to-be-read pile. Looks like I have some catching up!

No Way Back looks very interesting to me. I will definitely have to get a copy of that one.

Just wanted to say that 15 Seconds really blew me away! It really showed me how a simple stop by an officier could really go bad! Great book!

I notice your name here is HydraAuthor. Do you think Hydra will ever make it in print and what is that book about?

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
New User
HydraAuthor
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie--

Thanks for all the kind words!

Re: HYDRA--yeah, once my contract is done I'll probably put it out as an ebook. A lot of people I know seem to think it's as good as anything I've written. So why not? I'll give you a heads up so you can look for it!

Cheers.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

HydraAuthor wrote:

Hi Eadie--

Thanks for all the kind words!

Re: HYDRA--yeah, once my contract is done I'll probably put it out as an ebook. A lot of people I know seem to think it's as good as anything I've written. So why not? I'll give you a heads up so you can look for it!

Cheers.

Do you have any wise words about self-publishing? I hear such mixed reports about it!