Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Adrienne

Savannah_Foxx wrote:

Hi Adrienne,

Loved your interview and "call" story. I can't wait to read MAN LAW! (Hubba, hubba) I'm tucking away your process for creating a new title in case I'm ever lucky enough to be asked to :smileyhappy:

Thanks for sharing with us!

Hi Savannah - Aren't call stories wonderful? Thanks so much for joining us!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Book links!

I posted Adrienne's book link but forgot to post this one:

Sweet Tea and Secrets  

Tracy and Tracey - Since I'm not finding links to your books yet, do you want to tell us about them? (We talk about more than mysteries here on occasion!)

Author
NancyNaigle
0 Kudos

Re: Plotter vs Pantsers

I think I must be a plotter and pantser combo meal.

I start out with a really structured plan. Spreadsheets, outlines, piles of notes. BUT ... as I begin to write the story I go a little wild and let myself have free reign of whatever feels right. I think the plotting is the way I get to know the characters before I get started...the pantsing is the creative part that makes it all fun.

What about ya'll??

~~
www.NancyNaigle.com
Sweet Tea and Secrets :: Available now
Out of Focus coming November 2011
Author
Tracy_March
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

My debut novel, Girl Three, releases in November. It is a mystery/thriller/suspense with romantic elements. Tomorrow, I will be sharing a lot about Girl Three with visitors to the forum. Also, I'll be giving away a Barnes & Noble gift card and a donation in the winner's name to a great cause that relates to my novel.

Tune in tomorrow...

Nancy will talk about Sweet Tea and Secrets on Thursday, and Tracey will share about her story, A Lady's Revenge on Friday. More great reads, more prizes and fun!

Tracy March
GIRL THREE - Coming November 2011
http://www.TracyMarch.com
Author
NancyNaigle
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting my cover.

Sweet Tea and Secrets

Sweet Tea and Secrets is my debut novel. Oh and if you know anything about southern...this book is it. There are even recipes in the back :smileyhappy: I'll share some this week with you, too.

As you know...we authors don't get much of a say in our cover images..or did you know that? I'd say Adrienne and I got super lucky to have such beautiful covers that really reflect our stories.

I love pretty stuff. An eye-catching cover is definitely the first impression that gets me interested in a book.

~~
www.NancyNaigle.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Plotter vs Pantsers

NancyNaigle wrote:

I think I must be a plotter and pantser combo meal.

I start out with a really structured plan. Spreadsheets, outlines, piles of notes. BUT ... as I begin to write the story I go a little wild and let myself have free reign of whatever feels right. I think the plotting is the way I get to know the characters before I get started...the pantsing is the creative part that makes it all fun.

What about ya'll??

I guess you could say I'm a full-fledged member of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsers!!

Author
NancyNaigle
0 Kudos

How adorable!!! I love the mysterious dark sunglass look on that adorable brown and white puppy dog.

Here's Hunter...he'd solve any mystery for a snack. :smileywink: In fact, if they'd cover drugs in powdered sugar he'd be the best drug sniffer ever! Hunter is a big dog. Over 100 lbs. I have a theory that dogs grow to their environment...because we live on a farm and both of my dogs are huge.

Hunter of Holland Farm

Hugs and puppy paws~

~~
www.NancyNaigle.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tracy_March wrote:

Hi Becke,

My debut novel, Girl Three, releases in November. It is a mystery/thriller/suspense with romantic elements. Tomorrow, I will be sharing a lot about Girl Three with visitors to the forum. Also, I'll be giving away a Barnes & Noble gift card and a donation in the winner's name to a great cause that relates to my novel.

Tune in tomorrow...

Nancy will talk about Sweet Tea and Secrets on Thursday, and Tracey will share about her story, A Lady's Revenge on Friday. More great reads, more prizes and fun!

(Cover Image to come)

Girl Three achieved recognition in several contests in 2010:

• First Place in Chicago-North RWA Chapter's Fire and Ice Contest 
    Mainstream Novel with Romantic Elements
  • First Place in Valley Forge RWA Chapter's Sheila Contest 
    Mainstream Novel with Romantic Elements
  • Second Place in Orange County RWA Chapter's Orange Rose Contest
    All entries judged collectively regardless of genre

Girl Three

As the estranged daughter of a prominent federal judge, bioethicist Jessica Croft has avoided the players, the power, and the passions of Washington. But when her sister’s suspicious death is classified as natural, Jessie resolves to return to D.C. and expose her murderer. Pursuing a list of elite suspects leads her to enigmatic former Secret Service agent Michael Gillette, who seems to know more about her sister than he’s willing to tell.

Michael has a vested interest in Jessie’s plight. Her sister died on his watch—while he wasn’t watching. Sensing foul play, he intends to uncover the truth, but his plan becomes complicated when Jessie’s father confidentially retains him to protect her.

Unsure if they can trust each other, Jessie and Michael must unravel a scandal rife with adultery and deceit before the murderer silences them. Someone has killed to keep a secret… and is hiding behind the power of deception.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

NancyNaigle wrote:

Thanks for posting my cover.

Sweet Tea and Secrets

Sweet Tea and Secrets is my debut novel. Oh and if you know anything about southern...this book is it. There are even recipes in the back :smileyhappy: I'll share some this week with you, too.

As you know...we authors don't get much of a say in our cover images..or did you know that? I'd say Adrienne and I got super lucky to have such beautiful covers that really reflect our stories.

I love pretty stuff. An eye-catching cover is definitely the first impression that gets me interested in a book.

Your cover is beautiful, Nancy!

Here's a blurb for the book:

Visit the small town of Adams Grove where the biggest crime last year was a few hunters bagging over the legal limit of deer. This sleepy little town is wide awake and locking its doors after a series of break-ins over at Pearl Clemmons' place. Adams Grove is mourning the loss of Pearl Clemmons, known for her award-winning chocolate pecan pie and the best unsolicited advice in the county. 

When Jill returns to settle her grandmother’s estate, she’s greeted by a Clydesdale-sized guardian dog who doesn't seem to be earning his stripes (although he drools on them pretty well), and Garrett Malloy, the ex-fiancé she left behind a year ago. 

Jill insists on staying at Pearl’s amidst the string of break-ins, but Jill’s past with Garrett becomes the least of her worries when she learns that their lives are in danger. She is the only person standing between a desperate conman and a secret from Pearl’s past. 

Will Pearl’s past kill any chance of Jill and Garrett’s future together?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's a dog's life

NancyNaigle wrote:

How adorable!!! I love the mysterious dark sunglass look on that adorable brown and white puppy dog.

Here's Hunter...he'd solve any mystery for a snack. :smileywink: In fact, if they'd cover drugs in powdered sugar he'd be the best drug sniffer ever! Hunter is a big dog. Over 100 lbs. I have a theory that dogs grow to their environment...because we live on a farm and both of my dogs are huge.

Hunter of Holland Farm

Hugs and puppy paws~

What a cutie!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery

As I was posting the book blurbs I realized I'd made an incorrect assumption. Tracey's upcoming book is a historical, and I was thinking all of you wrote in different genres. But it looks like we have several mysteries here! My to-be-read pile is growing as we speak.

Author
NancyNaigle
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author ADRIENNE GIORDANO! and yummy Corn Casserole

Okay....the corn casserole is always a hit and it's soo yummy, but not as yummy as Vic in Man Law. What an awesome add to the chest collection! :smileywink:

This is the way I make Paula Deen's famous corn casserole. It might not be EXACTLY what she does because I've been doing it so long I do it from memory, but it's close. So, you can follow mine or seek the pro-Paula's advice!

Butter or spray your casserole dish and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Gather the ingredients. Here's what you'll need:

Can of corn

Can of creamed-style corn

1 cup of sour cream

1/2 stick of butter melted plus a little extra (or use a butter spray) to grease your dish.

1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix

2 cups of extra sharp cheddar

A dash of black pepper

Mix both cans of corn, cornbread mix, sour cream, melted butter and 3/4 cups of the cheese into a big bowl. Add a twist or two of pepper and mix well.

Pour mixture into your greased casseole dish. 

Bake for about 45 minutes or until the edges are nice and golden brown and the middle is firm.

Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle however much shredded cheese you enjoy across the top. We love it really cheese here in my house. Slip it back in the oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.

ENJOY~

This recipe also freezes and heats up really nicely. I even bake it in little heart shaped muffin tins and pop them in the freezer for single servings later.  

~~
www.NancyNaigle.com
Author
AdrienneGiordano
0 Kudos

Re: Let the games begin...

ReadingPatti wrote:

AdrienneGiora, Hi, welcome. I hope you have a nice visit. I have not read any of your books yet but I will check them out. They sound good.

How did you get into mystery?

What do you like about writing?

Thanks for spending some time with us.

ReadingPatti

Hi Patti.  Thanks for popping in.  Thank you for checking out my books! 

I have always been a huge mystery fan.  Harlan Coben and  Lisa Gardner are two of my favorite authors. I'm in the middle of Lisa's new one now and I'm really enjoying it.  I also just finished Breach of Trust by David Ellis, It was the first book of his I had read and I couldn't put it down. Fascinating book on political corruption.

The thing I like about writing is I get to talk to my imaginary friends and no one thinks I'm crazy!  I've always loved creating stories. It's a wonderful outlet for me to sit down at the computer and just dream up fun scenarios.  Right now I'm working on my next release for Carina and I'm in the fun part because I'm not so much worried about getting it perfect.  On the first draft I tend to let my imagination run amok.  Then I go back and see what's working and what isn't.  For instance, I just wrote something where the character "moons" someone.  It was fun writing it, but I know it will come out because  "mooning" is not consistent behavior for this particular character.

Thanks for hanging out with us.  Don't forget to drop by http://www.RomanceAndSuspense.com and sign up for the contest.  We're giving away a Nook!

www.adriennegiordano.com
Man Law, coming July 4, 2011 from Carina Press
Author
AdrienneGiordano
0 Kudos

He's a total lovebug, but he's ACTIVE!  The other day he got into my pantry, pulled a box of my coffee pods out, dragged it onto my carpet, got the box open and chewed all the pods up.  Ever try to get coffee grounds out of beige carpet?  My husband had to leave the house he was so mad!

Right now my son is talking baby talk to him ("You want da bewlly wub, Bud, Bud?" LOL!) and the dog is flat on his back begging for a belly rub!   Sometimes working at home is just a whole of fun.

The thing Buddy hasn't figured out is that he's not a lap dog. He's 50 pounds and thinks nothing of cuddling up on the couch. And if I'm not paying proper attention, he'll throw himself across my lap and stare at me with those big brown eyes.  If that doesn't work, he'll just start licking my face until I pet him.   

www.adriennegiordano.com
Author
NancyNaigle
0 Kudos

Re: Let the games begin...

Hahahah. I love the mooning scene...even if it did get cut. You'll have to remind us of that "cut" when that story comes out!

So...were there any fun "cut" scenes from Man Law that you can share?

~~
www.NancyNaigle.com
Author
AdrienneGiordano
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author ADRIENNE GIORDANO!

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Adrienne, Tracy, Nancy and Tracy:

I just signed up for your newsletters and the contest. Your books look very interesting to me. I will definitely be checking them out.

Hope you enjoy your visit with us! We love to learn about new authors here and thanks to Becke, she introduces us to the very best!

Keep on writing and be sure to come back and announce your next releases!

Thanks for popping in Eadie!  What's fantastic about working with Nancy, Tracy and Tracey is we all write something different, but we still have suspense in our books. 

www.adriennegiordano.com
Author
NancyNaigle
0 Kudos

Re: Mystery

Oh yes, Becke, between Adrienne, Tracy, Tracey and I ... we cover SUSPENSE and MYSTERY just about any way you like it!

Small Town- Big City - Contemporary - Historical

Something for everyone :smileyhappy:

Ain't that grand!

~~
www.NancyNaigle.com
Author
AdrienneGiordano
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

NancyNaigle wrote:

Sorry, Vic...you've been replaced already. My heart just got won by Buddy the Wheaten Terrior. Precious smoochy snuggler.

:smileyhappy:

He's darling! I'm taking care of my son's dog, Winston, while he and his girlfriend are on vacation. Here's Winston trying to avoid the paparazzi:

Today is Play Date with Robin Day. Here's a picture of them from when Robin was a puppy, about a year and a half ago:

Too darn cute!  Love the glasses.  I may have to use that in my next dogwalker book, Becke! 

www.adriennegiordano.com
Author
AdrienneGiordano
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Adrienne - Did you always want to write romantic suspense, or have you dabbled in other genres (or should I say sub-genres)? In my case, I tried a number of different styles/genres before I found one I was really comfortable with. What about the rest of you - do you always write the same types of books?

I've always wanted to write romantic suspense. As I said, I love a good mystery book and I also love romances so it was a no brainer for me to choose romantic suspense.  I did take a foray into another genre and am now shopping the dogwalker book I mentioned above. That one has a Stephanie Plum zaniness to it. It's a cross between a women's fiction and a light mystery.  I had an absolute ball writing that book and I'm hoping it sells because I'd love to do a few more.

www.adriennegiordano.com
Author
AdrienneGiordano
0 Kudos

Savannah_Foxx wrote:

Hi Adrienne,

Loved your interview and "call" story. I can't wait to read MAN LAW! (Hubba, hubba) I'm tucking away your process for creating a new title in case I'm ever lucky enough to be asked to :smileyhappy:

Thanks for sharing with us!

Hi Savannah!  Thanks for popping by. Yeah, Vic is a hot one, for sure. 

As far as titles go, I've decided I stink at creating them. I've shared this with my editor of course!  When Carina requested a title changed for my second release, my editor was the one who suggested identifying the themes and making a list of them.  From there I started playing with different word combinations and came up with some titles. We did the same exercise for the series name.  We then submitted 8-10 titles and series names we had come up with to marketing and they made the final decision.  Luckily, I don't get hung up on the titles. I leave the marketing to the wonderful Carina team (Carina is part of Harlequin and I think it's safe to say the Harlequin folks know they're marketing!).  They've been fantastic and I love how they've branded my series.

www.adriennegiordano.com