Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author ALEX KAVA!

[ Edited ]

I'm very excited to welcome this week's featured author, ALEX KAVA!

Alex Kava FIREPROOF July 2012

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author ALEX KAVA!

About Alex Kava

ALEX KAVA GREW UP IN THE COUNTRY outside Silver Creek, Nebraska. She earned a bachelor’s degree in art and English from College of Saint Mary in Omaha, Nebraska.  She has done a variety of jobs, from working as a hospital tech, cleaning and sterilizing utensils from surgery, pathology and the morgue, to running her own graphic design firm, designing national food labels and directing television and radio commercials.

IN 1996 SHE QUIT HER JOB as a public relations director to dedicate herself to writing a novel and getting published. To pay the bills, she refinanced her home, maxed out her credit cards and even took on a newspaper delivery route.

TODAY, ALEX IS A NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHOR of psychological suspense novels.  Her Maggie O’Dell series, comprised of A Perfect Evil, Split Second, The Soul Catcher, At the Stroke of Madness, A Necessary Evil, Exposed and Black Friday along with her stand-alone novels, One False Moveand Whitewash, have been widely praised by critics and fans. They have appeared on the New York Times and USA Today bestseller lists. Her books have been published in twenty-four countries and have hit the bestseller lists in Australia, Germany, Poland, Italy and the UK.  She is also one of the featured writers in the anthology Thriller: Stories to Keep You Up All Night,edited by James Patterson.

ONE FALSE MOVE WAS SELECTED AS Nebraska’s 2006 One Book One Nebraska.  (My Antonia by Willa Cather was the 2005 selection).  In 2007 Alex was awarded the Mari Sandoz Award by the Nebraska Library Association.Whitewash made January Magazine’s list of best thrillers for 2007.Exposed,Black Friday and 2011's DAMAGED received starred reviews byPublishers Weekly.

2010 marked Alex’s ten year anniversary as an author with the publication of her tenth novel, Damaged (Doubleday, July 13th). HOTWIRE, her ninth Maggie O'Dell will be released July 12th, 2011. She also has co-authored two short stories in anthologies to be published in June and August: First Thrills, edited by Lee Child (After Dark, co-authored with Deb Carlin) and Florida Heat Wave, edited by Michael Lister (A Breath of Hot Air, co-authored with Patricia Bremmer is now on KINDLE.

ALEX WRITES FULL-TIME AND LIVES IN Omaha, Nebraska and Pensacola, Florida (where her 2010 book, Damaged is set).  She is a member of International Thrillers Writers.  

FUN STUFF about Alex

Alex has been interviewed dozens of times but one of her most interesting was several years ago – a personality test by the Pittsburgh Tribune. We’ve pulled a few of her questions and answers and then added some of our own. Short, simple and quirky, you’ll probably learn something you never knew about Alex.

The star who would play me in the movie version of my life and why:
Helen Mirren, because I know my life would be much more interesting with that British accent.

If the TV is on at 2 a.m., I’m watching:
The news – somewhere there’s been a murder, corruption or scandal and I need to know. It’s called research . . . or, ummm, obsession.

After a long day of writing I like to relax with (choose one):

1. martini
  2. cold beer
  3. Red Bull
  4. Cappuccino
  5. Glass of wine
  6. Scotch (Maggie O’Dell’s preference)

Cold beer, preferably a Newcastle or Sam Adams

If I was auditioning for “American Idol,” my song would be:
Televised on “America’s Funniest Bloopers”

The first band I saw in concert (when and where):
My dad’s polka band. I don’t remember when or where. I was probably only five or six and Polish weddings can oftentimes become “lost weekends.”

The worst advice I ever received:
Wait and see. I hate to wait and then to make matters worse, I invariably forget what I’m waiting to see.

The best advice I ever received:
Get over it and just do it.

In high school I was:
Head cheerleader, in the gifted program, beloved by everyone, captain of the swim team . . . oh, and did I tell you that I make up stories for a living now?

The one television show I never miss is:
Modern Family. It’s the new Everybody Loves Raymond.

My most recent eBay purchase:
Menu replicas of the Titantic’s last dinner. Third Class had something called “Ragout of beef” with potatoes and pickles while First Class could choose lamb with mint sauce, roast duckling or sirloin of beef.

The first person I call when I have good news:
My best friend, Deb, even though this is the same person who, several years ago when I called to tell her about one of my first book signings with 100+ attending, she said to me, “Wow! Was the bookstore giving something away?”

What you’ll always find in my glove compartment:
A Sig sauer. I keep my Glock in the trunk . . . um . . . I really am kidding.

If I wasn’t a writer, I’d be:
A little more sane and less stressed but certainly not having as much fun.

The book that made me want to be a writer was:
Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird”

I knew I wanted to be a writer:
In sixth grade. Mrs. Powers read to us after lunch - fun stuff like Harriet the Spy and Charlie the Lonesome Cougar.

My favorite websites:
Crimelibrary.com to keep updated professionally on the freakiest killers and hotair.com to curb my obsession with politics.

My first job:
Waitress/ soda jerk for a little diner called The Drive-Inn.

My worst job:
Waitress/soda jerk for a little diner called The Drive-Inn.

My most interesting job:
CS Tech (that’s Central Supply, not Crime Scene) at a hospital. We picked up, cleaned and sterilized utensils and equipment from surgery, the morgue, labor and delivery and emergency. You never knew what you’d find in the basins.

Life would be better without:
Deadlines, property taxes and multiple remote controls.

People would be surprised to know that I:
Have a data base on how to murder but get lightheaded at the site of my own blood.

When I’m not writing you can find me:
In my garden or reading and probably surrounded by my pack of dogs. And in the fall – watching college football. Go Huskers!

Huskers Fan Duncan Kava-Carlin

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell Series #10)  

FIREPROOF Alex Kava 2012

Celebrate the tenth anniversary of Special Agent Maggie O'Dell with a FREE GIFT from Alex! Learn More Here...

FIREPROOF -- The tenth installment in the Maggie O'Dell series

New York Times bestselling author Alex Kava returns in a blaze of glory with a gripping action-packed thriller featuring Special Agent Maggie O'Dell leading the search for a serial arsonist whose psychotic tendencies threaten Maggie close to home.

When an abandoned warehouse in Washington, D.C. bursts into flames on a cold winter night, the first investigators on the scene instantly spot similarities to a string of recent fires in the area. There is one difference, however: This one has a human casualty. The local team insists the murder is an isolated incident, concluding that the culprit must be a bored young man suffering from an uncontrollable impulse to act out anger and sexual aggresion. But when Special Agent Maggie O'Dell is called in, everything she sees indicates that this is the work of a far more dangerous and calculating criminal.

Jeffery Cole, a reporter looking for his big break, is also at the scene of the crime and decides to make Maggie part of his new piece, putting the spotlight on her and digging up aspects of her past she would rather forget. Maggie's half-brother, Patrick, is back in D.C. too, working for a private fire-fighting company, and he is frequently called in as these fires continue to light up around the city.

As the acts of arson become more brazen and bodies keep turning up, Maggie's professional and personal worlds begin to colide dangerously. She starts to fear for Patrick's safety as he is sent into the flames set by this madman again and again, and Jeffery, is becoming a very un-welcome distraction. Meanwhile, the arsonist-murderer may be much closer than Maggie imagines.

Fast-paced and filled with haunting imagery of raging fires and smoke blackened skies, this sizzling new addition to the Maggie O'Dell series is Alex Kava's most trilling work yet.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please give a big B&N welcome to ALEX KAVA!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Alex:

Just finished reading A PERFECT EVIL. Enjoyed it very much and looking forward to reading the second book in the series, SPLIT SECOND.

This book was a definite page turner with numerous twists and turns and I loved the surprise ending which sets up for the second book!

I like Maggie O'Dell, the FBI profiler, as she is a very strong female character and Nick Morelli, the local heart throb. I hope there is more about them in the next book!

Enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Welcome, Alex, I hope you have a nice visit with us. I must check out some of your books. I see them at the library I work out. I will be sure to check them out.

I like you titles and the covers. How do you come up with them? I also ask authors because I think it is interesting to find out. What do you like about writing mysteries?

Again, welcome.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

If any of you are going to be in Pensacola, FL, Alex is going to be signing books at a Barnes & Noble there soon:

PENSACOLA, FL
Wed., July 18 - 7:00 pm
Barnes & Noble
850-969-9554

Here's a signing across the country from Florida:

GRAND ISLAND, NE
Wed., Aug 1 - 6:00 pm
Grand Island Public Library
308-385-5333

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Alex, I'm glad you are here on the Mystery Forum. I've never read any of your books but I will check them out at the bookstore.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Behind the Scenes of DAMAGED

All of Alex’s novels mix fact with fiction. Most of the time she uses only bits and pieces from the piles of research she gathers. Here’s a little “behind the scenes” trivia from DAMAGED. (No spoilers included.)

Pensacola, Florida: the "original" first settlement

In 1559, six years before St. Augustine, Florida, was settled the spanish explorer Don Tristan de Luna y Arellano landed on Pensacola's shores with a fleet of 11 ships and a crew of 1,400. Within two years a violent hurricane destroyed the colony, so St. Augustine gets the credit for being the first "permanent" Settlement, but we Pensacolans know who was really first.

Alex Kava DAMAGED

Real life serial killer, John Jouertd

In DAMAGED Maggie refers to real-life serial killer, John Joubert who killed two little boys in Nebraska and one in Maine during the early 1980's. A piece of unusual rope helped lead to his arrest. Joubert pleaded guilty, was convicted and executed in 1996. Alex's first novel, A Perfect Evil, is loosely based on the Joubert case.

ALEX KAVA DAMAGED - John Joubert  

Hurricane Ivan

Alex used the same path for her fictional Hurricane Isaac that Hurricane Ivan took in September 2004. It was the first hurricane she had experienced as a new resident of Florida. She wanted her fictional story to have the same coordinates; however, she lessened Isaac's steam just before it came ashore. She didn't have the heart to put Pensacola through the same devestation that Ivan and Dennis did, even for the sake of fiction.

ALEX KAVA DAMAGED - Hurricane Ivan

Coney Island Canteen

The character of Walter Bailey is based on real-life Naval Commander Walter Carlin. When Walter retired he bought a rusty mobile canteen from the Navy base in Pensacola, cleaned, polished, painted it red, white and blue, and named it the Coney Island Canteen. (Walter was an original "Jersey Boy".) He drove up and down Pensacola's old fishing bridge from 9pm to 6am selling hotdogs, soft-serve ice cream and Coke. His regulars nicknamed him, "The Hot-Dog-Man". Walter had plans for an entire fleet of mobile canteens, but instead of dealing with city politics, he decided to really retire. His wife Emily and him moved to Marbella, Spain, returning after 18 incredible years. Walter passed away September 2008 at the age of 85.

ALEX KAVA DAMAGED - Pensacola, Florida

First Woman Rescue Swimmer

Kelly Mogk was the first woman to complete the difficult Navy Aviation Rescue Swimmer School in Pensacola, Florida, and the first woman in all the military services to qualify as a helicopter rescue swimmer. She graduated from the Coast Guard program in 1985. At last record, she is now Lt. Cmdr. Kelly Larson and a rescue helicopter pilot in Port Angeles.

Coast Guard Rescue SwimmerPensacola, Florida 

Maggie and Charlie Wurth have breakfast at this Pensacola cafe that has been a downtown tradition since 1945. If you're in the area, stop by and try their award winning Nassau grits. You'll run into all the local bigwigs having breakfast or lunch.

imageIn eight of Alex's ten novels you'll find a waitress named Rita somewhere in the story. If you want to find out why and would like to read more behind the scenes trivia from her novels, JOIN Alex's VIR (Very Important Readers) Club. It's FREE, it's easy, and you'll learn all sorts of fun triva.

Alex Kava

The Perfect Hurricane 

1 oz. Vodka
½ oz. Rum
1 oz. Amaretto
1 oz. Cointreau or 
Grand Marnier
1 oz. grapefruit juice
1 oz. apple juice

Mix all ingredients in cocktail shaker and pour into a hurricane glass over crushed ice, Garnish with a cherry and slice of orange. Umbrella is optional!

The Perfect Hurricane
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Gasp! Alex Kava is a--- WOMAN????!!!! I've been picturing, well, a more male writer, since her books seem to be thrillers rather than cozies. Now that I come to think of it, though, that is kind of stereotyped thinking, and I apologize to Alex for it. No reason why she shouldn't write thrillers, in fact Barbara Peters explained at CozyCon that writers of thrillers make a lot more money than those who write cozies.Smart thinking there, Alex!!

Also, I note that Alex is a Huskers fan, and that would be short for the Nebraska Cornhuskers, the nemesis of the teams my family was rooting for when I was growing up.(We were living in Kansas, but my Dad was an OU fan, since he got his Master's from there.Since I had grandparents living in Oklahoma, we frequently would see the lonnnng cordon of cars coming from Nebraska to watch the Nebraska-Oklahoma games. What loyalty!)

Anyway, it's kind of ironic, but my niece recently married a young man who is a rabid Huskers fan. Everything is Nebraska, Nebraska, Nebraska with him! I just sit there and smile, though I am thinking something else!

Well, welcome to our forum, female Alex, and I'm looking forward to reading one of your books now.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Gasp! Alex Kava is a--- WOMAN????!!!! I've been picturing, well, a more male writer, since her books seem to be thrillers rather than cozies. Now that I come to think of it, though, that is kind of stereotyped thinking, and I apologize to Alex for it. No reason why she shouldn't write thrillers, in fact Barbara Peters explained at CozyCon that writers of thrillers make a lot more money than those who write cozies.Smart thinking there, Alex!!

Also, I note that Alex is a Huskers fan, and that would be short for the Nebraska Cornhuskers, the nemesis of the teams my family was rooting for when I was growing up.(We were living in Kansas, but my Dad was an OU fan, since he got his Master's from there.Since I had grandparents living in Oklahoma, we frequently would see the lonnnng cordon of cars coming from Nebraska to watch the Nebraska-Oklahoma games. What loyalty!)

Anyway, it's kind of ironic, but my niece recently married a young man who is a rabid Huskers fan. Everything is Nebraska, Nebraska, Nebraska with him! I just sit there and smile, though I am thinking something else!

Well, welcome to our forum, female Alex, and I'm looking forward to reading one of your books now.

I know - I thought Alex was a male, too, and I shouldn't have made that assumption. I know several female Alex's!

Wordsmith
writerfire
0 Kudos

Welcome Alex!! Hope you have a great time here and thank you for the visit!
The best surprize is one left untold.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alex is having some difficulty signing in. You all know what that's like! Please give her a big welcome when she finally beats down the gremlins and gnomes!

New User
Reads_Alot_Reviews
0 Kudos

Hello - this is Alex's business manager Deb Carlin.

Alex is trying to create a pen name and get on to the board to answer all your questions.

Hang in there with us while we work thru this.

Prob just another hour..

Thanks!!!

Author
Alex_Kava_Author
0 Kudos

Alex Kava's pen name is Alex_Kava_Author.

She will be with you all shortly!

Enjoy her posts...

Deb Carlin

Business Manager

Author
Alex_Kava_Author
0 Kudos

Titles are always difficult but I like to have the title before I start the book. As for the covers, I have to give credit to my publisher.

Author
Alex_Kava_Author
0 Kudos

There are still a lot of readers who are surprised but there are also more and more female authors in the thriller genre. It actually doesn't bother me. As a writer I hope I can tell the story from a variety of perspectives, male and female.