Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Alex_Kava_Author
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author ALEX KAVA!

Becke, 

Yes, in Nebraska we do love our HUSKERS! I'm a huge college football fan and that's one of the loves I gave my protagionist, Maggie O'Dell, although Maggie graduated from the University of Virginia. I also gave her my love of dogs. She rescued Harvey, a white Lab, back in the second novel of the series. I like to think Harvey has rescued Maggie, too. He provides the unconditional love and loyalty and trust that she longs for but rarely opens herself up to or finds in other people. Harvey is all that is good in Maggie's world that usually includes too much evil.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alex_Kava_Author wrote:

Becke, 

Yes, in Nebraska we do love our HUSKERS! I'm a huge college football fan and that's one of the loves I gave my protagionist, Maggie O'Dell, although Maggie graduated from the University of Virginia. I also gave her my love of dogs. She rescued Harvey, a white Lab, back in the second novel of the series. I like to think Harvey has rescued Maggie, too. He provides the unconditional love and loyalty and trust that she longs for but rarely opens herself up to or finds in other people. Harvey is all that is good in Maggie's world that usually includes too much evil.

Hi Alex - Sorry, I had to go off the computer for a bit. I'm glad you were able to get into the site! Sorry you had a hassle - it's a bit glitchy at times.

I'm a dog lover, too. What kind of dog(s) do you have in real life?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Reads_Alot_Reviews wrote:

Hello - this is Alex's business manager Deb Carlin.

Alex is trying to create a pen name and get on to the board to answer all your questions.

Hang in there with us while we work thru this.

Prob just another hour..

Thanks!!!

Deb - Thanks so much for persisting! We're all too familiar with the glitchiness of the sign in process. We've all found different solutions when it acts up, but sometimes the computer gnomes and gremlins get the best of us! I'm sorry you and Alex had so much trouble joining us. It's appreciated!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alex_Kava_Author wrote:

Alex Kava's pen name is Alex_Kava_Author.

She will be with you all shortly!

Enjoy her posts...

Deb Carlin

Business Manager

Alex's official "Author" tag should show up shortly. Thanks!

I want to point out that there are a lot more people viewing this thread than commenting on it. And, surprisingly, the threads continue to pick up a lot of views - sometimes astronomical numbers - long after the featured week is over.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alex- What are you working on now? Can you give us any hints about your next book, or is it too soon to say?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi again, Alex - I noticed that you're doing a Barnes & Noble book signing in Pensacola, Florida tonight. Do you have any other B&N book signings coming up this year?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

When I’m not writing you can find me:
In my garden or reading and probably surrounded by my pack of dogs. And in the fall – watching college football. Go Huskers!

Huskers Fan Duncan Kava-Carlin

becke, I am thinking that Duncan is a West Highland White Terrier. ( My Bichon Frise had a Westie pup as a best friend, years ago) Love the name, Duncan, too--very proper Scottish. Think the best name for a Terrier I ever heard was "MacDuff" ( that was the guy who killed MacBeth in "The Scottish Play," if you get my drift).Alex, since you mentioned a pack of dogs, would you tell us a bit more about some of the other dogs you have? Have you ever put any of your own dogs as characters in your books? ( I'm not sure if that White Lab was one of yours or not).

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

When I’m not writing you can find me:
In my garden or reading and probably surrounded by my pack of dogs. And in the fall – watching college football. Go Huskers!

Huskers Fan Duncan Kava-Carlin

becke, I am thinking that Duncan is a West Highland White Terrier. ( My Bichon Frise had a Westie pup as a best friend, years ago) Love the name, Duncan, too--very proper Scottish. Think the best name for a Terrier I ever heard was "MacDuff" ( that was the guy who killed MacBeth in "The Scottish Play," if you get my drift).Alex, since you mentioned a pack of dogs, would you tell us a bit more about some of the other dogs you have? Have you ever put any of your own dogs as characters in your books? ( I'm not sure if that White Lab was one of yours or not).

Well, duh - I guess that answers my question about Alex's dog! (Unless she has more...)

I agree, Fricka - Duncan looks like a West Highland White. He's darling!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Alex welcome !

I just downloaded "A Perfect Evil " ( Maggie O'Dell series #1)

I love mystery series books and Maggie looks like an interesting character.

Also that you mix fiction with real events makes it even better !    

Author
Alex_Kava_Author
0 Kudos

I've always loved dogs. I have three Westies. Two are rescues. Duncan appears on my website and facebook the most. I love the breed. I actually lost my oldest and the only female a year ago. FIREPROOF is dedicated her. It was the first book I've written without her at my feet.

Author
Alex_Kava_Author
0 Kudos

Fact is so much stranger than fiction. I do include bits and pieces of real crimes and real criminals in each of my novels. I've been very fortunate to meet a variety of experts from FBI agents to coroners to homicide detectives to forensic investigators . . . and the list goes on. Many have become friends and great resources. In fact I get some of my best details from listening to the experts talk about their cases.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

There are so many authors I see all the time, but I have yet to read even one book from them.  Sometimes I feel as if I'm never going to catch up :-)  Thanks for coming by!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Author
Alex_Kava_Author
0 Kudos

I never intended to write a series when wrote my first novel, A PERFECT EVIL. Maggie O'Dell doesn't even come into that book until chapter seven. Readers really connected to her and wanted more. My publisher insisted on, at least, a sequel but I had no idea how to write a sequel, let alone a series. I had to learn about Maggie along side my readers, discovering who she is and what she's capable of doing. FIREPROOF is the tenth Maggie O'Dell novel and I feel like I've just hit my stride with Maggie.

So next up will definitely be another Maggie. As soon as I'm back from book tour at the beginning of August I'll continue working on STRANDED.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Alex_Kava_Author wrote:

I've always loved dogs. I have three Westies. Two are rescues. Duncan appears on my website and facebook the most. I love the breed. I actually lost my oldest and the only female a year ago. FIREPROOF is dedicated her. It was the first book I've written without her at my feet.

Awww, Alex, sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet, wooly girl. And darn it, now I'm going to HAVE to read Fireproof!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alex_Kava_Author wrote:

Oh no, Alex - I'm so sorry! It's awful when a beloved pet dies.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alex_Kava_Author wrote:

I never intended to write a series when wrote my first novel, A PERFECT EVIL. Maggie O'Dell doesn't even come into that book until chapter seven. Readers really connected to her and wanted more. My publisher insisted on, at least, a sequel but I had no idea how to write a sequel, let alone a series. I had to learn about Maggie along side my readers, discovering who she is and what she's capable of doing. FIREPROOF is the tenth Maggie O'Dell novel and I feel like I've just hit my stride with Maggie.

So next up will definitely be another Maggie. As soon as I'm back from book tour at the beginning of August I'll continue working on STRANDED.

I hope this series will go on a long time! Do you have the urge to write stand-alones or a new series in the future, too?

Author
Alex_Kava_Author
0 Kudos

I have written two stand alone novels: ONE FALSE MOVE and WHITEWASH. ONE FALSE MOVE was selected in 2006 for One Book One Nebraska, an amazing honor considering Willa Cather's MY ANTONIA (one of my all-time favorite novels) was the selection the previous year. Just to be listed anywhere in the same paragraph with Willa Cather is an honor in itself. WHITEWASH was selected as one of 2007's best thrillers by January Magazine. Both are very different from each other and from my Maggie O'Dell series. In fact USA TODAY called WHITEWASH a "cliffhanger eco thriller." I'm not exactly sure what an "eco thriller" is. There are characters in WHITEWASH who are some of my absolute favorites. 

I'd love to write more stand alones. Time constraints are always a problem. My Maggie O'Dell novels have been on a book-a-year contracts. Now it seems like writing a book a year shouldn't be too difficult. In reality I rarely have a whole year to write. Here's what that schedule breaks down to: I'm usually still editing the previous manuscript for one to two months. I take anywhere from three to four months researching and developing plot, jotting down ideas, creating twists, deciding on POVs, and cataloguing bits and pieces of details. I fill several notebooks.

Often times I'll start the new manuscript and then have to set it aside because it's time to promote the previous novel and go on the road for five to six weeks. I don't write when I'm on the road. That's a skill I've never been able to develop. So by the time I get home again, I only have two or three months to sit down and write.

Now having said all that, there are several other projects I am working on.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

That's great to hear that you are continuing with "Stranded" in your next ( Maggie O' Dell Series. )

I like forensics investigation. Which book was the most interesting for you to write ?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alex_Kava_Author wrote:

I have written two stand alone novels: ONE FALSE MOVE and WHITEWASH. ONE FALSE MOVE was selected in 2006 for One Book One Nebraska, an amazing honor considering Willa Cather's MY ANTONIA (one of my all-time favorite novels) was the selection the previous year. Just to be listed anywhere in the same paragraph with Willa Cather is an honor in itself. WHITEWASH was selected as one of 2007's best thrillers by January Magazine. Both are very different from each other and from my Maggie O'Dell series. In fact USA TODAY called WHITEWASH a "cliffhanger eco thriller." I'm not exactly sure what an "eco thriller" is. There are characters in WHITEWASH who are some of my absolute favorites. 

I'd love to write more stand alones. Time constraints are always a problem. My Maggie O'Dell novels have been on a book-a-year contracts. Now it seems like writing a book a year shouldn't be too difficult. In reality I rarely have a whole year to write. Here's what that schedule breaks down to: I'm usually still editing the previous manuscript for one to two months. I take anywhere from three to four months researching and developing plot, jotting down ideas, creating twists, deciding on POVs, and cataloguing bits and pieces of details. I fill several notebooks.

Often times I'll start the new manuscript and then have to set it aside because it's time to promote the previous novel and go on the road for five to six weeks. I don't write when I'm on the road. That's a skill I've never been able to develop. So by the time I get home again, I only have two or three months to sit down and write.

Now having said all that, there are several other projects I am working on.

I can't imagine anyone writing a book while on the road! I'm curious about the other projects you're working on! I'll have to check out your stand-alone books - thank you!

Author
Alex_Kava_Author
0 Kudos

As to which of my books was the most interesting to write -- that's a tough one. I don't write the stereotypical FBI profiler chasing a serial killer - or at least, I don't think I do. Part of the reason for that is because I need to be challenged each time and I want to be interested in what I'm writing. 

I always try to include several threads -- subplots -- throughout each novel as well as interspersing details of a variety of things I may have found during my research. To give an example: HOTWIRE included food contamination, teenaged drug abuse, lasers and Tasers, the Nebraska Sandhills and the Nebraska National forest, the antiquated coroner system in Nebraska, the national school lunch program, spent hens, the new teenage drug salvia, biological weapons, cattle mutilations and UFOs, Indian folklore and Chicago meat packing plants.

Over the course of twelve novels I've learned some much, though some of it is perhaps trivia I may never be able to use especially at dinner parties or family reunions. Here's a list of my books with something interesting or unexpected in each:

A PERFECT EVIL = Nebraska's part in the Underground Railroad during the Civil War

SPLIT SECOND = the challenges of living with diabetes

THE SOUL CATCHER = an inside look at cults

AT THE STROKE OF MADNESS = Alzheimer's disease

ONE FALSE MOVE = a modern day Charlie Starkweather

A NECESSARY EVIL = Medieval practice of a sineater

WHITEWASH = the process of turning debris into oil

EXPOSED = the Ebola virus

BLACK FRIDAY = the third terrorist in the Oklahoma City bombing

DAMAGED = the underground cadaver business

HOTWIRE = (take your pick from the list I offered up above)

FIREPROOF = the FBI's Highway Serial Killing Initative

My novels are never only about murder or about the investigation and I think that's what keeps them so interesting for me. My first priority is to tell a story, to entertain and hopefully captivate readers, but if they learn something along the way or if something sticks with them, that's a nice bonus.