Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author ANN CHRISTOPHER!

Ann_Christopher wrote:

Can I just put Denzel Washington in all the male leads?  Yes?  No?

becke_davis wrote:

Ann - 

4) If you were casting any of your books, who would you choose?

Well, that depends. Are you willing to share? He's always hot but, man, that is one killer smile:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ann_Christopher wrote:

I call myself a plotting semi-pantser.
Translation?  On any given day, I don't know what the h*ll I'm doing! :smileywink:
Sad, but true.  I generally know the characters and major plot points, and that's about it.  And the more I write, the less I know until I sit down to write it.
So if anyone has a magic writing wand, can I borrow it?

becke_davis wrote:

Ann - 

5) Are you a pantser or a plotter?

If you find one, can I borrow it when you're through?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ann_Christopher wrote:

Oh, that's easy!
GONE WITH THE WIND
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
JANE-EMILY

becke_davis wrote:

Ann - 

6) What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

A couple of people have mentioned Jane-Emily and I never read that one. I'll have to add it to my list. Is this the one?

Jane-Emily and Witches' Children

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ann - If you aren't tired of answering questions, would you share your "call" story with us? I love to hear how authors got the news of their first sale.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome, Ann, to our Mystery forum on B&N.

I was wondering how an attorney would be driven to write Romance novels, but I see that Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights were favorites of yours growing up. Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favorite books! The first time I read it, I was seriously afraid that Jane was going to end up marrying St.John, but thankfully, she heard the voice of Mr. Rochester's spirit calling her to come back to him.

Seeing as how you like the gothic novels, do you have any urge to replicate gothic elements in your own romance novels?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Frequent Contributor
Mysterylover1138
0 Kudos

Ann

Thanks for coming to join us this week :smileyhappy: Hopefully you are having some good weather where you are, here in Upstate New York its snowing per the usual.  

I just have one question for you where do you come up with your ideas for your novels? 

Ok well I guess I have two questions :smileyhappy:

How do you come up with the steamy scenes that are typical of a Romance novel?

Hope you are having a great day.  I look forward to hearing from you

Leigh

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ann - Thanks so much for visiting with us today! I hope you'll come back again soon!

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

Oh, yeah?  Recommendation, please!

becke_davis wrote:

Yes!! I have a special fondness for second-chance-at-love stories, and stories where the old friend turns out to be The One. *sigh* LOVE those stories.

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

I'll have to look out for those, Becke.  I'm always on the hunt for a nice candle...

becke_davis wrote:

My current favorites are HIGH MAINTENANCE and DIVA by Tyler Candles: http://www.tylercandle.com/fragrance-list.php

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

Oh, good!  Kristi will be thrilled to hear that!

becke_davis wrote:

I loved THE LINCOLN LAWYER, too, and Brenda's new release is in my TBR pile. It's funny you should mention HAVEN - several of my friends who are big YA fans have been recommending that book:

Haven

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ann_Christopher wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Yes!! I have a special fondness for second-chance-at-love stories, and stories where the old friend turns out to be The One. *sigh* LOVE those stories.

Here's a reunion one:

Feels Like the First Time (Harlequin Blaze #492) 

And here's a best friend one:

It Happened One Night

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

I love the new IDOL team!  They're fun!

becke_davis wrote:

I swore I wasn't going to watch American Idol this year. I lied.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ann_Christopher wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Here's a great second-chance-at-love story, too:

Birthright

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

Nice pic, Bekke!!!

Well, that depends. Are you willing to share? He's always hot but, man, that is one killer smile:

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

If I find a magic writing wand, Bekke, I'm going to sell it for millions...

becke_davis wrote:

Ann_Christopher wrote:

I call myself a plotting semi-pantser.
Translation?  On any given day, I don't know what the h*ll I'm doing! :smileywink:
Sad, but true.  I generally know the characters and major plot points, and that's about it.  And the more I write, the less I know until I sit down to write it.
So if anyone has a magic writing wand, can I borrow it?

becke_davis wrote:

Ann - 

5) Are you a pantser or a plotter?

If you find one, can I borrow it when you're through?

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Yes, that's it!  Great YA story!

A couple of people have mentioned Jane-Emily and I never read that one. I'll have to add it to my list. Is this the one?

Jane-Emily and Witches' Children

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

Here's my first sale story, Bekke!

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

Funny you should ask, Fricka.  Write now I'm writing a story that features a dark and stormy night, an intrepid heroine, and a moody and damaged hero.  It'll come out in 2012...

Fricka wrote:

Welcome, Ann, to our Mystery forum on B&N.

I was wondering how an attorney would be driven to write Romance novels, but I see that Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights were favorites of yours growing up. Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favorite books! The first time I read it, I was seriously afraid that Jane was going to end up marrying St.John, but thankfully, she heard the voice of Mr. Rochester's spirit calling her to come back to him.

Seeing as how you like the gothic novels, do you have any urge to replicate gothic elements in your own romance novels?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ann_Christopher wrote:

I'll have to look out for those, Becke.  I'm always on the hunt for a nice candle...

becke_davis wrote:

My current favorites are HIGH MAINTENANCE and DIVA by Tyler Candles: http://www.tylercandle.com/fragrance-list.php

I used to get them at the Shop Around the Corner in Mariemont, but it's not there anymore! :-(

Author
Ann_Christopher
0 Kudos

Leigh, sometimes inspiration strikes, and sometimes I just have to sit down and think up a story.  And sometimes I flounder.  A lot.  Hence, my desire for that magic writing wand.
As to the steamy scenes, I love love stories, so they just come to me! :smileywink:
I hope the snow isn't too bad!

Mysterylover1138 wrote:

Ann

Thanks for coming to join us this week :smileyhappy: Hopefully you are having some good weather where you are, here in Upstate New York its snowing per the usual.  

I just have one question for you where do you come up with your ideas for your novels? 

Ok well I guess I have two questions :smileyhappy:

How do you come up with the steamy scenes that are typical of a Romance novel?

Hope you are having a great day.  I look forward to hearing from you

Leigh