Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Wow! Those recipes really look yummy, becke. Good thing that one is Gluten-Free!

My diet is always on dangerous ground when I get around Avery's books, heh heh.

Anyway, welcome back, Daryl/Avery.

I first heard of you here on the Barnes and Noble mystery forum. I won a copy of your first book, The Long Quiche Goodbye, and then got to meet you and Jamie Freveletti in person at The Poisoned Pen bookstore.

I also got to see you in the quartet of authors who were at the "Cupcake Cozy" while you were promoting your second book in the Charlotte Bessette series. If you don't mind, I will share with the members of the forum here that there was Wine, Cheese, and Cupcakes as refreshments at that signing. I remember there was some wonderful Irish Cheddar Cheese, and I've wondered if you personally got to shop for that. Anyway, between the edible goodies and the author's chat, and book signing, it was a great time! I'm looking forward to getting your third book, Clobbered by Camembert, soon.

 

Don't know if you saw the Grammy Award Show last night or not--Taylor Swift performed one of her songs, "Mean". After hearing your story about how a very mean teacher gave you writer's block, I'm dedicating that song to you(and all the other frustrated writers, artists, and musicians who didn't get the encouragement they deserved from their teachers/mentors).

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!


Fricka wrote:

Wow! Those recipes really look yummy, becke. Good thing that one is Gluten-Free!

My diet is always on dangerous ground when I get around Avery's books, heh heh.

Anyway, welcome back, Daryl/Avery.

I first heard of you here on the Barnes and Noble mystery forum. I won a copy of your first book, The Long Quiche Goodbye, and then got to meet you and Jamie Freveletti in person at The Poisoned Pen bookstore.

I also got to see you in the quartet of authors who were at the "Cupcake Cozy" while you were promoting your second book in the Charlotte Bessette series. If you don't mind, I will share with the members of the forum here that there was Wine, Cheese, and Cupcakes as refreshments at that signing. I remember there was some wonderful Irish Cheddar Cheese, and I've wondered if you personally got to shop for that. Anyway, between the edible goodies and the author's chat, and book signing, it was a great time! I'm looking forward to getting your third book, Clobbered by Camembert, soon.

 

Don't know if you saw the Grammy Award Show last night or not--Taylor Swift performed one of her songs, "Mean". After hearing your story about how a very mean teacher gave you writer's block, I'm dedicating that song to you(and all the other frustrated writers, artists, and musicians who didn't get the encouragement they deserved from their teachers/mentors).


I saw Taylor Swift's performance last night - how does that saying go, "living well is the best revenge?" Looks like Taylor AND Avery take that prize!

 

Fricka - Be warned. Don't make the mistake of reading any of Avery's books on an empty stomach. Not only will you want to sample the exotic cheeses she mentions, but now she's got me craving grilled cheese sandwiches (the ones she describes are far from boring). I'm also curious about hot sauce on cream cheese now!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!


AveryAames wrote:

Wow, Becke, you pulled up a ton of information from my website (s).  Yes, I am a dual personality. I refer to "Daryl" as my alter ego...or wait, I think Daryl refers to Avery as her alter ego.  Whatever.  Avery...I mean me (LOL) had a book signing at Mysterious Galaxy in Redondo Beach, California, with Kate Carlisle, which is the source for this photo. We had such a good time. And Kate and I just signed yesterday -- Saturday-- at Murder by the Book in Houston with Miranda James and Melissa Bourbon. Lots of photos on Facebook, if anyone is interested. 

 

Avery 


Hi Avery! I had so much fun reading yours and Kate's new releases this past week. It's easy to see why you both have a growing number of fans!

 

Have you ever considered putting together a book (maybe an ebook) of cheese recipes? I'm always tempted to tear out the pages at the end of the book so I can file your recipes, but of course I could never bring myself to deface a book.

 

As I mentioned to Fricka, I was intrigued by the grilled cheese sandwiches you described in the book. Would you share some tips for great grilled cheese sandwiches, and interesting ways to spice them up? I never thought of pepperoni, but it makes sense - like a pizza sandwich!

 

Oh, before I forget - I didn't know (or more likely, had forgotten) that you and Janet Bolin were critique partners. Janet visited here when her first book came out - I hope she's doing well!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!


AveryAames wrote:

Wow, Becke, you pulled up a ton of information from my website (s).  Yes, I am a dual personality. I refer to "Daryl" as my alter ego...or wait, I think Daryl refers to Avery as her alter ego.  Whatever.  Avery...I mean me (LOL) had a book signing at Mysterious Galaxy in Redondo Beach, California, with Kate Carlisle, which is the source for this photo. We had such a good time. And Kate and I just signed yesterday -- Saturday-- at Murder by the Book in Houston with Miranda James and Melissa Bourbon. Lots of photos on Facebook, if anyone is interested. 

 

Avery 


Do you have any Barnes & Noble book signings coming up?

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author AVERY AAMES!

Just a reminder that this is a party - Avery and Kate are friends, so this is a joint effort. I gave them each their own thread so I could give them individual introductions - be sure to stop in at both threads!

 

Party

Author
AveryAames
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎09-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Actually, Kate and I have signings scheduled at Barnes and Noble in Hillsdale Shopping Center, San Mateo California, next Saturday the 18th from 1-4. Please stop in.

 

And then we'll be at Barnes and Noble, Topanga Canyon, Woodland Hills, California on Sunday Feb 26 from 2 to 4.

 

We're excited about both events!!!! It's always so much fun to meet fans.

 

~Avery

 

 

Author
AveryAames
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎09-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Fricka, how wonderful to "see" you here! We had such a ball at Poisoned Pen. We're going to be at the Tucson Festival of Books in March and we'll be at the Poisoned Pen booth as well as on a number of fun panels!  Stop in!

 

~Avery

Author
AveryAames
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎09-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Haha. No empty stomach. I've heard that from a lot of people. Do you know I actually make myself hungry when I'm writing?  LOL

 

~Avery

Author
AveryAames
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎09-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Actually, I have an ebook of recipes on my website: www.averyaames.com You don't have to tear out a thing. Just print. I created it as a donation download for Reading is Fundamental, and then decided to offer it to fans. There are recipes on my site, with pictures. And then lots of recipes on Mystery Lovers Kitchen.

 

Yes, Janet Bolin is doing very well. Her first book sold great, DIRE THREADS. And she's got a second coming out in June, THREADED FOR TROUBLE, (Threadville mysteries). They are fun reads!!! She's a fabulous writer.

 

~Avery

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!


AveryAames wrote:

Actually, I have an ebook of recipes on my website: www.averyaames.com You don't have to tear out a thing. Just print. I created it as a donation download for Reading is Fundamental, and then decided to offer it to fans. There are recipes on my site, with pictures. And then lots of recipes on Mystery Lovers Kitchen.

 

Yes, Janet Bolin is doing very well. Her first book sold great, DIRE THREADS. And she's got a second coming out in June, THREADED FOR TROUBLE, (Threadville mysteries). They are fun reads!!! She's a fabulous writer.

 

~Avery


Thanks for the tip - I missed that when I was browsing your website. You've added a lot more recipes since the last time I visited!

 

 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Welcome Avery:

 

I just finished THE LONG QUICHE GOODBYE this morning. I've had it in my TBR pile forever! I enjoyed it very much! In fact, I am going to start LOST AND FONDUE today and then move right on to your new book, CLOBBERED BY CAMEMBERT.

 

Becke is so right! I had to stop reading last night to get out my package of Brie with Cranberries and Almonds and heat it up. I had it in the fridge for Super Bowl Sunday but didn't get a chance to use it that day. Who knew that I would read your book and it would rescue me from my cheese urge! 

 

Do you know how many books you will write in this series? 

 

Hope you enjoy your visit and come back soon to visit again!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!


eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Avery:

 

I just finished THE LONG QUICHE GOODBYE this morning. I've had it in my TBR pile forever! I enjoyed it very much! In fact, I am going to start LOST AND FONDUE today and then move right on to your new book, CLOBBERED BY CAMEMBERT.

 

Becke is so right! I had to stop reading last night to get out my package of Brie with Cranberries and Almonds and heat it up. I had it in the fridge for Super Bowl Sunday but didn't get a chance to use it that day. Who knew that I would read your book and it would rescue me from my cheese urge! 

 

Do you know how many books you will write in this series? 

 

Hope you enjoy your visit and come back soon to visit again!


Eadie - There's a sneak peek at Avery's fourth book at the back of CLOBBERED BY CAMEMBERT, after the recipes.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!


becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Avery:

 

I just finished THE LONG QUICHE GOODBYE this morning. I've had it in my TBR pile forever! I enjoyed it very much! In fact, I am going to start LOST AND FONDUE today and then move right on to your new book, CLOBBERED BY CAMEMBERT.

 

Becke is so right! I had to stop reading last night to get out my package of Brie with Cranberries and Almonds and heat it up. I had it in the fridge for Super Bowl Sunday but didn't get a chance to use it that day. Who knew that I would read your book and it would rescue me from my cheese urge! 

 

Do you know how many books you will write in this series? 

 

Hope you enjoy your visit and come back soon to visit again!


Eadie - There's a sneak peek at Avery's fourth book at the back of CLOBBERED BY CAMEMBERT, after the recipes.


Great! At least there will be four!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Kate_Carlisle
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎02-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Hi, Avery!!!! (Had to come wave to you on your conversation thread, too. :smileywink:)

 

Everyone, if you haven't tried the Cheese Shop Mysteries yet, you really must. They're fabulous and fun. Avery has a great sense of humor and a wonderful way of building lots of twists and turns into the mystery plot. Love them! Just one warning... reading them will make you hungry!

Kate Carlisle
The Bibliophile Mysteries
Author
AveryAames
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎09-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Look for the ebook (a little square) on the right column of the page.

 

~Avery

 

Author
AveryAames
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎09-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Eadie, I've been contracted so far for 5 books. I'm hoping for more. We have to see what the sales are doing. So far, B&N sales are terrific. I'm hitting their lists this week and my editor is very pleased.  :smileyhappy:

 

My books will start coming out every February, so you can now put it on your calendar knowing that it wil be my "valentine" to my readers.  :smileyhappy:

 

Best,

 

~Avery

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!


Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Hi, Avery!!!! (Had to come wave to you on your conversation thread, too. :smileywink:)

 

Everyone, if you haven't tried the Cheese Shop Mysteries yet, you really must. They're fabulous and fun. Avery has a great sense of humor and a wonderful way of building lots of twists and turns into the mystery plot. Love them! Just one warning... reading them will make you hungry!


This is so true! I'm amazed at the twists and turns in her stories. Who knew you could mix a Hawaiian fire dancer with camembert cheese and honey bees and come up with a winning plot??

Author
AveryAames
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎09-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Kate, aw, shucks and thanks. I appreciate the plug. Can you readers tell we're friends?  LOL

 

Hope you're doing well after our whirlwind week of signings and travel. We have more to come. Rest up!

 

~Avery

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!


AveryAames wrote:

Eadie, I've been contracted so far for 5 books. I'm hoping for more. We have to see what the sales are doing. So far, B&N sales are terrific. I'm hitting their lists this week and my editor is very pleased.  :smileyhappy:

 

My books will start coming out every February, so you can now put it on your calendar knowing that it wil be my "valentine" to my readers.  :smileyhappy:

 

Best,

 

~Avery


Since it's printed at the back of the book, I'm assuming the title of book four, TO BRIE OR NOT TO BRIE isn't a secret.

 

Your titles are so catchy, how do you ever come up with them?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!


AveryAames wrote:

Eadie, I've been contracted so far for 5 books. I'm hoping for more. We have to see what the sales are doing. So far, B&N sales are terrific. I'm hitting their lists this week and my editor is very pleased.  :smileyhappy:

 

My books will start coming out every February, so you can now put it on your calendar knowing that it wil be my "valentine" to my readers.  :smileyhappy:

 

Best,

 

~Avery


Avery:

Thanks for the quick response to my question. I will definitely be looking out next February for the next installment!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt