Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author AVERY AAMES!

Hi, Avery, I love the titles of your cheese books. I may have to buy a couple of yours along with Kate Carlisle's books to add to my TBR pile.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Since it's almost Valentine's Day, I did a search to see what cheese-related Valentine's specialties I could find:

Cheese For Valentine's Day

Coach Farm Heart-Shaped Goat Cheese

LOVE'S SWEET

LOVE'S SWEET

Celebrate your sweet love with heart shaped triple creme cheese, rich dark chocolate, fruit and nut crostini and more cheese.

Our Love's Sweet Collection includes our ownHeart's Desire (7oz), named for the romantic cove on the western banks of the Tomales Bay, Midnight Moon (12oz), an aged goat cheese imported from Holland by Cypress Grove Chevre and Txiki (12oz), pronounced "Cheeky", a Basque style sheep milk from Barinaga Ranch, made just across the bay from Heart's Desire Beach.

Petit Bonheur is studded with pink peppercorns, providing sparks of piquant flavor throughout. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's a few more:

Buy French Goat Cheese Coeur du Berry 6.6 oz. The best gourmet food on sale online.

Coeur d'Arras

The first thing one notices about the coeur d'arras is its strong smell and its attractive shape in the form of a heart. A cheese that merits your attention. 
It has a strong flavor, and the density of the coeur d'arras melts slowly and heavily on the tongue, leaving a sweet, lingering aftertaste.
The coeur d'arras comes from the Maroilles family, its rind is washed, the pate is soft, uncooked and unpressed.

Heart Shaped Goat Cheese - Coach Farm

Aged Chèvre:
Coach Farm Aged Chèvre

This semi-soft, bloomy-rinded goat cheese is made in Dutchess County, New York. The cheese is creamy and lightly lemony, with a little mineral tang from the bloomy rind.

Capriole Goat Cheese

Chèvre Hearts:
Capriole Goat Cheese

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome AVERY AAMES!

Becke, I'm so glad you think so. I loved my Hawaiian fire dancer. And yes, the Camembert. It's so much fun to work with cheese in a completely different aspects.  Have I mentioned that the research is the most fun!!

~Avery

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Titles...well, first I think cheese, and then I think how can I use that in the story? Often I try to come up with titles that fit movies or previous books so I can get a rhythm. And then I just play. A fan just sent me a cute one:  Gouda versus Evil.  I like that.  I also have Gouda Grief and As Gouda as Dead. 

Gouda seems to be a pretty easy cheese to work with re: titles. They're fun!

Avery

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

I included the Heart's Desire in the most recent book. Their cheeses are amazing!  Happy Valentine's day to all. Cheese and chocolate go well together, too. I have a post on a chocolate and cheese fondue, as well. Both are on Mystery Lovers Kitchen. Check out appetizers and desserts in our recipe section (found in the left column).  And I retweeted a post I had done on Janet Rudolph's chocolate blog. To die for. Yum!

Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

AveryAames wrote:

Becke, I'm so glad you think so. I loved my Hawaiian fire dancer. And yes, the Camembert. It's so much fun to work with cheese in a completely different aspects.  Have I mentioned that the research is the most fun!!

~Avery

What does your research involve? Do you travel to exotic places to test their cheeses?

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Research involves going to different cheese shops and tasting cheeses, reading up in Culture Magazine and online sites about new cheeses. I email my favorite cheesemonger (and now friend), Marcella, who has a fabulous blog: marcellathecheesemonger.com  She has a feline foodie named Spaulding Gray (who you can "like" on Facebook). She's been terrific to me, making sure I get the cheeses in the right seasons and offering up suggestions of cheeses that I haven't tried. 

I would like to go to exotic places, but time doesn't always allow. :smileyhappy:

~Avery

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

By the way, I'm having a launch contest through March 1. All who sign up for my mailing list on my website are eligible to win a darling cheese paddle from Sur la Table. And I'll be having more contests throughout the year!

And there's a giveaway of a couple of my books today on Make Mine Mystery blog.

Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

AveryAames wrote:

By the way, I'm having a launch contest through March 1. All who sign up for my mailing list on my website are eligible to win a darling cheese paddle from Sur la Table. And I'll be having more contests throughout the year!

And there's a giveaway of a couple of my books today on Make Mine Mystery blog.

Avery

Avery's website is here: http://www.averyaames.com/

And here's the link to MAKE MINE MYSTERY:

http://makeminemystery.blogspot.com/2012/02/please-welcome-mystery-author-avery.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

AveryAames wrote:

Research involves going to different cheese shops and tasting cheeses, reading up in Culture Magazine and online sites about new cheeses. I email my favorite cheesemonger (and now friend), Marcella, who has a fabulous blog: marcellathecheesemonger.com  She has a feline foodie named Spaulding Gray (who you can "like" on Facebook). She's been terrific to me, making sure I get the cheeses in the right seasons and offering up suggestions of cheeses that I haven't tried. 

I would like to go to exotic places, but time doesn't always allow. :smileyhappy:

~Avery

Here's the link to Spaulding Gray's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spaulding-Gray-Portlands-Feline-Foodie/350580277144?sk=wall

Spaulding Gray: Portland's Feline Foodie

becke_davis
0 Kudos

By the way, I had to grin at the shout-out to Krista Davis' Domestic Diva mysteries in your book!

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Max cat, I love hearing that. Kate's and my books are a good combo.

~Avery

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Krista Davis is one of Charlotte's favorite authors!!  Charlotte loves cozy mysteries. After all, she considers herself an amateur sleuth, right? She needs guidance! And who better than Sophie, from Krista's memories, to guide her?

BTW, Lesa Holstine gave Clobbered by Camembert a great review. The first sentence, however, starts off with Charlotte "exasperates" her and that's because we all fear that the protagonist will get herself in hot water! It is one of the dilemmas of writing an amateur sleuth. The heart has to be in the right place. I find that Charlotte in Cheese Shop and Sophie in the Domestic Diva mysteries that Krista writes both have their hearts in the right place. They are always trying to help a friend and/or family, and may justice prevail!

~Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

AveryAames wrote:

Krista Davis is one of Charlotte's favorite authors!!  Charlotte loves cozy mysteries. After all, she considers herself an amateur sleuth, right? She needs guidance! And who better than Sophie, from Krista's memories, to guide her?

BTW, Lesa Holstine gave Clobbered by Camembert a great review. The first sentence, however, starts off with Charlotte "exasperates" her and that's because we all fear that the protagonist will get herself in hot water! It is one of the dilemmas of writing an amateur sleuth. The heart has to be in the right place. I find that Charlotte in Cheese Shop and Sophie in the Domestic Diva mysteries that Krista writes both have their hearts in the right place. They are always trying to help a friend and/or family, and may justice prevail!

~Avery

That's true of so many of our favorite amateur sleuths!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

AvaryAames, I love the titles of your books.

Do you consider your books cozy myteries? I know many authors who don't like that title. But I think a cozy is a good mytery that you want to read while curled up by a fire and just read.

What do you like about writing mysteries?

I hope your visit is a great one.

ReadingPatti

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Hi, Patti, yes, my books are "cozies." I don't mind the genre title at all. It suggests exactly what you said, curling up in a chair (bed, couch) to read a good book. A cozy often means a book that has a "gentle" crime (it is usually still murder but the horror and guts are off the page). It stars an amateur sleuth (not a detective or cop) who is usually personally drawn into the story whether to save a family member, a friend, a friend of a friend, or herself. There's little or no bad language, and in mine, the steamy sex is off the page, but don't get me wrong, Charlotte is in love. It's Valentine's Day. How can I not mention that? Very much in love!  :smileyhappy:

Happy Valentine's Day to all.

~Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Do you have any special plans for Valentine's Day, Avery? It's snowing here, which may put a cramp in some people's dinner plans if it keeps up all day.

valentines-day/vintage-valentine-5.gif

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka suggested we have champagne and fondue to celebrate Valentine's Day. Here's some pretty cupcakes, too!

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Fricka, these look delicious. The cupcakes, wow!!!  I love chocolate and cheese fondue, too!  I put a couple of those recipes on my Mystery Lovers Kitchen blog.

Special day? With my honey out of town on business, I'm going golfing. I'll be checking in with you all in a few hours. Los Angeles has great weather today. I'm very blessed.

Hugs and hearts to all!

XOXO

Avery