becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author BETH GROUNDWATER!

Please welcome back mystery author and loyal B&N Mystery Forum follower, BETH GROUNDWATER. If you go to book signings and/or mystery conferences, chances are you've met Beth - she's an active member of Sisters in Crime and of the GUPPIES.

I met Beth for the first time at Left Coast Crime last year. It was great to see her again at Malice Domestic last month, too! I didn't get a picture of Beth at Malice, so here's one from last year:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author BETH GROUNDWATER!

About Beth Groundwater

My first forays into fiction writing were my Freddie stories when I was in fifth and sixth grade. My protagonist, Freddie, had all sorts of wild adventures, including visiting an underground mole city after burrowing down in a giant screw-mobile. Freddie was a boy, because back in the sixties, I thought girls weren't supposed to have adventures. I know better now! 

A middle-school English teacher almost squelched my love for telling stories when she graded assignments on grammar, punctuation and sentence structure versus content. A good student, I learned to focus on form versus function to get the grade--something I had to unlearn later. During my high school senior year, I took an independent study in English and wrote fiction and poetry, which was critiqued by a college professor. They came back covered in red ink, but I learned a lot, including how to handle criticism!

After that, I obtained a college degree in Psychology (useful in character development) and Computer Science from the College of William and Mary in 1978. I wondered why I double-majored in the two fields that attracted the weirdest students at the college. I now think it's because of my lifelong interest in developing solutions to convoluted puzzles, be they software algorithms, understanding what makes a person tick, or solving a mystery story's "what if?"

I was a software engineer and software project manager until my retirement in 1999. Once management discovered I was a rare commodity--a software engineer who could write, I wrote countless manuals, design documents, final reports, marketing proposals, and technical papers that I presented at conferences. I also married, obtained a Masters Degree, and produced two children. I had no time to read the newspaper or watch TV, let alone write fiction. But once my husband and I met our retirement savings goals, I yearned to create stories again.

I've been writing fiction since retiring and so far have finished seven novels, a novella, and numerous short stories. I was active in two critique groups for over five years, but now meet with one. To learn the craft, I studied writing books, took workshops, went to conferences, and entered contests, some of which I won or placed in (see my resume). I attended my first writers' conference, the Pikes Peak Writers Conference, in 1997 and still attend regularly. I'm also a big believer in networking. I belong to the following writing organizations: Mystery Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, Pikes Peak Writers, Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers, and the Short Mystery Fiction Society. I am the Membership Chair for the Rocky Mountain Chapter of Mystery Writers of America.

On my long road to publication, I collected over 100 rejections on my short stories in order to get nine published, including one in Wild Blue Yonder, Frontier Airlines' in-flight magazine, one which was translated into Farsi, and one which was performed in live theatre. I also spent almost three years getting rejected by 89 literary agents before one decided I might have some talent and took me on. Two months later, he negotiated the contract for my first published novel. I am now with my second agent. Am I bragging about my persistence? No. I'm just telling prospective authors what it takes. Keep at it!

I enjoy the many outdoor activities available in my home state of Colorado, including downhill skiing, hiking and biking. Also, I love water sports, particularly whitewater rafting/canoeing and snorkeling. If a water slide is around, I'm on it--more than once. Growing up as a military brat, I also enjoy and thrive on travel. I'm the family travel agent and have planned trips for us to Europe, Southeast Asia, Africa, South America, Australia, New Zealand and all over the USA, including Alaska and Hawaii. I've loved to read since I was a child, and I read at least two novels a month. I savor those monthly meetings with my Book Club, and not just for the gossip and wine!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

APPEARANCES

Sunday, May 27, 2012, 2 - 4 PM

Barnes & Noble Booksellers
1565 Briargate Boulevard, Colorado Springs, CO 80920

Thursday, August 2, 2012, 7 – 9 PM

Discussion with Mystery Book Club

Highlands Ranch Library

9292 Ridgeline Blvd., Highlands Ranch, CO 80129

Saturday, August 25, 2012, 9 AM – 4:30 PM

“Engineering a Mystery and The Art of Dialogue Writing” Workshop

Chaffee County Writers Exchange

Meeting Room at Sangre de Cristo Electric Association

29780 US Highway 24, Buena Vista, CO 81211

Thursday-Sunday, October 4-7, 2012

Bouchercon

Cleveland Marriott Renaissance Hotel

24 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44113

Her full schedule is here:http://bethgroundwater.com/Appearances.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Dangers and Excitement of Whitewater Rafting

My RM Outdoor Adventures mystery series features the sport of whitewater rafting. The sleuth, Mandy Tanner, is a whitewater river ranger on the upper Arkansas River of Colorado, the most commercially rafted river in the United States. The huge volume of commercial and private boaters keep Mandy and her fellow river rangers busy performing rescues, checking licenses and safety procedures, clearing dangerous debris, etc. Mandy knows the rapids in the river like the back of her hand because, like most of the seasonal river rangers who work for the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA), she used to be a rafting guide, taking tourists down various sections of the Arkansas on guided trips.

And I’m one of those tourists who love to rides the waves of Colorado’s whitewater rivers! Many people think the experience must be a terrifying one. But, the risks can be managed so the danger is minimized and the fun is maximized. First, to go whitewater rafting, you must:

1. 1.Be in good health (heart attacks are the most common cause of rafting deaths).

2. 2.Know how to swim.

Additionally, you MUST share your medical conditions (such as diabetes or asthma) with your rafting guide and bring along any essential medications or equipment (such as an inhaler or epi-pen). One rafting guide I interviewed said his first customer death on the river was a man who suffered from emphysema, didn’t divulge that condition on his paperwork, then left his medications in his car. The man fell in the cold water, was pulled back into the raft, but couldn’t catch his breath. That guide is still haunted by the man’s death, even though he could do nothing to help him and it wasn’t his fault!

Second, you should know your limits, based on physical condition and experience level. If you’re a first-time rafter, you should raft a river section that doesn’t have any rapids classified higher than Class III, Difficult. And if you do tackle Class III rapids, you should have a professional guide in your raft.

The International Scale of River Difficulty rates individual rapids and river sections on a six class scale. They range from Class I, Easy, with small waves with no obstacles, through Class II, Medium, up to Class V, Extremely Difficult, with long, violent rapids. The highest is Class VI, formerly classified as Unrunnable or Danger to Life or Limb, which are only attempted by expert kayakers after hours of scouting and with safety lines and rescuers standing by.

Family “float trips” usually stay in the Class I – III range and the roller-coaster adventure trips that I and other whitewater adventurers take are usually in the Class III-V range. I, however, have set my own upper limit at Class IV. You should always be prepared to swim any rapid your boat goes through, because the raft may flip or you may be tossed into the water. And I’ve decided that I don’t want to swim any rapid higher than IV, even though I’m a strong swimmer for my age.

The photos below were taken during a summer trip with my husband, my son and one of his friends, and our guide on the Blue River of Colorado, which was a Class II-III run and lots of fun.

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Overview

Book two in the RM Outdoor Adventure Mystery series by Agatha Award finalist Beth Groundwater.

Fly fishing is dangerous? River ranger Mandy Tanner had no idea until days before a huge tournament in Salida, Colorado. True, the Arkansas River can be a man-eater, but the rapids weren’t responsible for driving a hatchet into the neck of would-be competitor Howie Abbott—a secretive man who may have been cheating. While casting about for suspects, Mandy seeks clues from Abbott’s family members, including her best friend, bartender Cynthia Abbott. But when Cynthia becomes the prime suspect, Mandy realizes that trolling for the true killer has plunged her way too deep into wicked eddies.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The words and video aren't quite in sync, but I thought you'd be interested in this:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

At Malice Domestic: Cricket McRae, Jessie Chandler, Beth Groundwater, Alan Orloff. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jan Burke and Beth Groundwater:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Midnight Ink authors (and editor Terri Bischoff, upper right) at Malice Domestic.
 — with Jess Lourey, Alan S. Orloff, Darrell James, Beth Groundwater, Jessie Chandler, Deborah Sharp and Terri Bischoff.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome BETH GROUNDWATER!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Nice to meet you.  I will have to check out the outdoor mystery seris.  I love the titles and the description of the one sounds like something I would enjoy.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Please welcome BETH GROUNDWATER!

Ooooo yes, welcome back, Beth. I enjoyed reading Deadly Currents very much and look forward to reading the next book in your series, Wicked Eddies.

Any chance you might be signing books in the Southwest sometime in the future, like maybe next fall? ( I would love to travel to one of your book signings in Colorado, but right now can't afford to do that!)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beth has been traveling, so she may be a bit late joining us. How about some coffee and donuts to start the day?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm reading an anthology by the Guppies, the group Beth belongs to. You'll find a lot of authors in it that have visited us here, including Beth, of course! The stories, as you can guess by the title, all have a fishy theme. I think you'll get a kick out of Beth's story, FATAL FISH FLOP.

Fish Tales  

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Beth, I would truly like to read one of your mysteries. But I keep forgetting to buy one. This time I will! Thanks for being here this week.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Beth has been traveling, so she may be a bit late joining us. How about some coffee and donuts to start the day?

Howdy, everyone!

Yes, indeed, I need that coffee this morning after getting home about 10:30 PM last night from my top-of-the-bucket-list trip to Peru for a week (Lima, Cuzco, Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu) and Ecuador for a week (Quito, Galapagos Islands). It was an amazing trip, and I hope to post some photos to my blog once my husband and I sort through them.

Today I'm doing laundry and contacting the dentist to make an appointment to get a crown made. I had the lovely experience of cracking a tooth in half while in Peru and having a root canal done by a Peruvian endodontist! It all went well with minimal pain, the procedure cost probably less than half that it would have cost in the US, and our travel guide went with me to the endodontist to translate. I have to credit OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) for their phenomenal trip planning and fantastic guides.

I'll answer individual msgs. next. I'm happy to be here with you all this week!

- Beth

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Nice to meet you.  I will have to check out the outdoor mystery seris.  I love the titles and the description of the one sounds like something I would enjoy.

Hi Ryan,

Nice to meet you, too! I hope you'll give

Deadly Currents and

Wicked Eddies  a read, too! I've found that this series appeals to both women mystery readers and to male readers who are fans of CJ Box, William Kent Krueger, Nevada Barr, and Craig Johnson, who also feature outdoor or Western settings in their mystery series.

- Beth

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13