Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author BETH GROUNDWATER!

becke_davis wrote:

Beth - Between writing and traveling, do you have much time to read? With limited reading time, which books made the cut?

I try to read about a book a week, usually at night before falling asleep. When I travel, I take at least a couple of paperbacks with me to read on the plane trips. Some of my favorite mystery series include those written by William Kent Krueger, Louise Penny, Sharyn McCrumb, CJ Box, and Margaret Coel, and I love Nancy Pickard's stand-alone books. I also am in a book club that reads widely outside the mystery genre, and I read those monthly selections to discuss with them.

- Beth

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Beth - Between writing and traveling, do you have much time to read? With limited reading time, which books made the cut?

I try to read about a book a week, usually at night before falling asleep. When I travel, I take at least a couple of paperbacks with me to read on the plane trips. Some of my favorite mystery series include those written by William Kent Krueger, Louise Penny, Sharyn McCrumb, CJ Box, and Margaret Coel, and I love Nancy Pickard's stand-alone books. I also am in a book club that reads widely outside the mystery genre, and I read those monthly selections to discuss with them.

- Beth

Great choices! I'll post links to a few examples of these authors' work:

Northwest Angle (Cork O'Connor Series #11) 

The Ballad of Tom Dooley 

Force of Nature (Joe Pickett Series #12) 

The Scent of Rain and Lightning 

The Spider's Web (Wind River Reservation Series #15) 

A Trick of the Light (Armand Gamache Series #7)       

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thank you for the heads up.  I'm heading over there now!

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

I wanted to make sure you all knew about a chance to win a free copy of WICKED EDDIES along with some other mystery novels:

The International Thriller Writers is sponsoring a book giveaway on the Book Bitch website, and my WICKED EDDIES is one of them. To enter the contest, go here: http://bookbitch.com/

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Now I'm seriously impressed. Where do you find time to do everything?

Speaking of which, I was interested to learn about all you do for Sisters in Crime. Would you like to share some of your SIC experiences with us?

I don't do all that much for Sisters in Crime, certainly not as much as the members of the national board do! I serve on the national membership committee. We have monthly teleconference meetings to discuss and implement ways to increase and retain members and to develop new membership categories. I was a big proponent of the yearly membership category and was one of the first to sign up for that membership category. As a result, Beth Wasson, the Executive Secretary, asked me to present the lifetime membership pins at the Sisters in Crime breakfast at the Malice Domestic conference.
I used to serve on the board of a Colorado Sisters in Crime local chapter, but that chapter folded when attendance at meetings dwindled, all of the board members became term-limited, and no one else stepped forward to serve on the board. I'm now just a member of the Guppies on-line chapter. It's for aspiring mystery authors, but even though I'm published now, I made so many good friends in the chapter that I really enjoy continuing to participate.
- Beth

--
Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Sorry I forgot to post the link to your blog, Beth! I thought that was a really interesting video interview - hope you don't mind that I posted it!

No worries, Becke. I just thought I didn't do a very good job with that interview. Of course, I think that about every TV/radio interview I do! ;-)
- Beth

--
Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

I forgot to say something about Sisters in Crime that I really would like to emphasize here. The organization is not just for authors and aspiring authors. We also welcome librarians, booksellers, publishers, and especially READERS to join! It's your chance (other than here!) to hob-nob with mystery authors on-line at at in-person national and local chapter meetings. Here's the link to the website for more information:

http://www.sistersincrime.org/

--
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Now I'm seriously impressed. Where do you find time to do everything?

Speaking of which, I was interested to learn about all you do for Sisters in Crime. Would you like to share some of your SIC experiences with us?

I don't do all that much for Sisters in Crime, certainly not as much as the members of the national board do! I serve on the national membership committee. We have monthly teleconference meetings to discuss and implement ways to increase and retain members and to develop new membership categories. I was a big proponent of the yearly membership category and was one of the first to sign up for that membership category. As a result, Beth Wasson, the Executive Secretary, asked me to present the lifetime membership pins at the Sisters in Crime breakfast at the Malice Domestic conference.
I used to serve on the board of a Colorado Sisters in Crime local chapter, but that chapter folded when attendance at meetings dwindled, all of the board members became term-limited, and no one else stepped forward to serve on the board. I'm now just a member of the Guppies on-line chapter. It's for aspiring mystery authors, but even though I'm published now, I made so many good friends in the chapter that I really enjoy continuing to participate.
- Beth

Thanks, Beth - I think it's wonderful that you volunteer so much!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

I forgot to say something about Sisters in Crime that I really would like to emphasize here. The organization is not just for authors and aspiring authors. We also welcome librarians, booksellers, publishers, and especially READERS to join! It's your chance (other than here!) to hob-nob with mystery authors on-line at at in-person national and local chapter meetings. Here's the link to the website for more information:

http://www.sistersincrime.org/

I'm a member!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Beth (waving the queen wave to you)

I just wanted to stop in and say hello to one of my favs.

Thanks so much for taking the time out of you very busy schedule to give us some of your secrets :smileyhappy:

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Beth (waving the queen wave to you)

I just wanted to stop in and say hello to one of my favs.

Thanks so much for taking the time out of you very busy schedule to give us some of your secrets :smileyhappy:

Here's a big queen wave right back at 'cha, Debbie! I'm so glad you count me as one of your favs. :smileyhappy:

For everyone,

Publicist PJ Nun posted an interview with me on her bookbrowsing blog today. If you'd like to read it, go to: http://bookbrowsing.wordpress.com/

- Beth

--
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Finally finished TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET. Have to say this book was action packed and I loved every second. Really glad that things ended well for Judy and Nick's relationship and all should live happy ever after (until the next book, I suppose). Claire can really get herself into some hairy adventures and I look forward to the next one! WICKED EDDIES up next!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:
Finally finished TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET. Have to say this book was action packed and I loved every second. Really glad that things ended well for Judy and Nick's relationship and all should live happy ever after (until the next book, I suppose). Claire can really get herself into some hairy adventures and I look forward to the next one! WICKED EDDIES up next!

Hi Eadie,

I'm so glad you enjoyed reading TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET! It will be re-released by Midnight Ink in trade paperback and ebook this November, and I'm hoping that will bring more readers to the series. I hope you enjoy young Mandy Tanner's adventures just as much as you do Claire's.

Mentioning the ebook version of TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET reminded me to check if the Nook version of WICKED EDDIES was up yet at the B&N website. It's not there yet, but it should be soon, so I hope you Nook readers will keep checking back for it. For some reason, it takes a little longer for the Nook versions of my Midnight Ink books to get listed than the trade paperback ones.

- Beth

--
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Hi Eadie,

I'm so glad you enjoyed reading TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET! It will be re-released by Midnight Ink in trade paperback and ebook this November, and I'm hoping that will bring more readers to the series. I hope you enjoy young Mandy Tanner's adventures just as much as you do Claire's.

Mentioning the ebook version of TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET reminded me to check if the Nook version of WICKED EDDIES was up yet at the B&N website. It's not there yet, but it should be soon, so I hope you Nook readers will keep checking back for it. For some reason, it takes a little longer for the Nook versions of my Midnight Ink books to get listed than the trade paperback ones.

- Beth

Here are all the books of yours B&N has on Nook right now. Have you considered putting your short story on Nook as a free read?

A Real Basket Case 

Deadly Currents 

Fish Tales    

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Here are all the books of yours B&N has on Nook right now. Have you considered putting your short story on Nook as a free read?

Hi Becke,

I presume you mean my "Fatal Fish Flop" short story that is in the Guppies Anthology. I've actually published eight other short stories in various anthologies, magazines, etc. and even in audio form. Many of the stories have been published multiple times. And, various contracts are involved, some with restrictions not allowing me to republish the story in other places or formats for a year, two years, or more. I just haven't had the time to go through my short story contracts to figure out what stories I can publish on-line now, and then to educate myself about how to do all of that, technically. My book contracts are taking priority right now.

- Beth

--
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Becke,

I presume you mean my "Fatal Fish Flop" short story that is in the Guppies Anthology. I've actually published eight other short stories in various anthologies, magazines, etc. and even in audio form. Many of the stories have been published multiple times. And, various contracts are involved, some with restrictions not allowing me to republish the story in other places or formats for a year, two years, or more. I just haven't had the time to go through my short story contracts to figure out what stories I can publish on-line now, and then to educate myself about how to do all of that, technically. My book contracts are taking priority right now.

- Beth

For the people who missed the other anthologies, are there links where they can read your short stories?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Beth - Do you have any special plans for this weekend?

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

For the people who missed the other anthologies, are there links where they can read your short stories?

Hi Becke,

The easiest place to find some of my short stories on-line is Sniplits.com, which has three available to listen to in downloadable audio form. The voice talent they use is very good, and I'm pleased with the performances of the actors who read mine. You can see the descriptions of my three stories at:

http://sniplits.com/storiesforauthor.jsp?a=202

- Beth

--
Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I am staying at my husband's cousin's house in Colorado Springs, Colorado, for the weekend. We drove down here yesterday morning to go to the closing of our former Colorado Springs house yesterday afternoon. We met the new owners and they seem very nice, and the closing went off without a hitch. We're down to owning just one home now, in Breckenridge, and we're very happy about that!

Last night we drank a bottle of champagne to celebrate with the cousins, then the four of us went out to dinner. Today is a quiet day of rest, then I have two signings here on Saturday and Sunday for my new Wicked Eddies  release. Saturday, I'll have a wine & cheese signing at Black Cat Books in Manitou Springs from 2-4 pm, and Sunday I'll have a signing at the Briargate Barnes & Noble bookstore from 2-4 pm. We'll hit the nearby Costco store after that, then head back up into the mountains for home.

What are everyone else's Memorial Day weekend plans? Going to any book signings perhaps? I sure hope some people show up at mine! ;-)

- Beth

--
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I am staying at my husband's cousin's house in Colorado Springs, Colorado, for the weekend. We drove down here yesterday morning to go to the closing of our former Colorado Springs house yesterday afternoon. We met the new owners and they seem very nice, and the closing went off without a hitch. We're down to owning just one home now, in Breckenridge, and we're very happy about that!

Last night we drank a bottle of champagne to celebrate with the cousins, then the four of us went out to dinner. Today is a quiet day of rest, then I have two signings here on Saturday and Sunday for my new Wicked Eddies  release. Saturday, I'll have a wine & cheese signing at Black Cat Books in Manitou Springs from 2-4 pm, and Sunday I'll have a signing at the Briargate Barnes & Noble bookstore from 2-4 pm. We'll hit the nearby Costco store after that, then head back up into the mountains for home.

What are everyone else's Memorial Day weekend plans? Going to any book signings perhaps? I sure hope some people show up at mine! ;-)

- Beth

Sounds like a fun weekend, Beth! We have an exciting weekend of clearing out the house. We're getting ready to put it up for sale, so we've got a lot of stuff to get rid of. It's a lot of work, but we're making progress.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for visiting with us this week, Beth! Come back soon!