Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author BIANCA ZANDER!

Bianca-Zander wrote:
I seem to have lost the ability to quote other posts in my replies - sorry about that.

The site is occasionally plagued by gnomes and gremlins, I'm afraid.

Usually this works: Click "Reply" in the lower right (for some reason it works better than the one upper left). When the new comment box opens, click "Quote" - it's on the upper right next to "Spell Check." Hopefully that will work!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What books have influenced you, both as a reader and as a writer? Do you ever have time to read now that you're a published author yourself?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Bianca-Zander wrote:
I seem to have lost the ability to quote other posts in my replies - sorry about that.

Usually this works: Click "Reply" in the lower right (for some reason it works better than the one upper left). When the new comment box opens, click "Quote" - it's on the upper right next to "Spell Check." Hopefully that will work!

I have the most problems when I use my i-pad. For some reason, I have trouble creating spaces between paragraphs. You put them it but when you post, everything runs together. Don't have that problem when I use my computer. Very frustrating and I also can't use the "Add Product" button - it just doesn't work with the i-pad.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Bianca-Zander wrote:

I have the most problems when I use my i-pad. For some reason, I have trouble creating spaces between paragraphs. You put them it but when you post, everything runs together. Don't have that problem when I use my computer. Very frustrating and I also can't use the "Add Product" button - it just doesn't work with the i-pad.

Thanks, Eadie - I hadn't thought of that.

Author
Bianca-Zander
0 Kudos

LOL - I have to admit, your answer surprised me. I guess because I know a lot of authors from Australia and New Zealand (some are romance authors), that hadn't occurred to me. My first impressions of New Zealand were formed by reading Ngaio Marsh books. Have you ever read her mysteries? ------------------------------------------ Now I'm intrigued to know what you were expecting me to say! I haven't read any Ngaio Marsh but I'm thrilled to hear that you have. I must check out her books.
Author
Bianca-Zander
0 Kudos

What books have influenced you, both as a reader and as a writer? Do you ever have time to read now that you're a published author yourself? * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I don't read as much as I did when I was younger, mostly due to the demands of family. When I was a kid I loved anything magical: The Wizard of Oz, Five Children and It (E Nesbitt), Roald Dahl etc. And those books have been a huge influence - that sense of escaping into a world where anything is possible. Some of my favorite novels are humorous ones: Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, though a lot of readers have missed the humor in my own novel! Edith Wharton's House of Mirth is, in my mind, close to perfection, and whenever I forget how to write, it inspires me to try harder. A Japanese writer called Haruki Murakami was hugely influential on The Girl Below, in that he reminded me that adults like to read about magical things too. When I'm in the thick of writing, I find it hard to read any fiction at all. It either influences me too much, or I feel miserable because what I'm writing isn't as good as what I'm reading - and never will be. I also enjoy non-fiction: biographies & pop psychology.
Author
Bianca-Zander
0 Kudos

I'm using a mac too so maybe that's the glitch. When I first got on the forum, the 'quote' button was there - but now it has vanished. A supernatural coincidence?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bianca-Zander wrote:
LOL - I have to admit, your answer surprised me. I guess because I know a lot of authors from Australia and New Zealand (some are romance authors), that hadn't occurred to me. My first impressions of New Zealand were formed by reading Ngaio Marsh books. Have you ever read her mysteries? ------------------------------------------ Now I'm intrigued to know what you were expecting me to say! I haven't read any Ngaio Marsh but I'm thrilled to hear that you have. I must check out her books.

I guess it didn't occur to me that the Aboriginal aspects of NZ would be the best known. I think of the scenery and, well, sheep - thanks to Ngaio Marsh.

Her autobiography is wonderful:

Black Beech and Honeydew  

Some of her books are set in England, some in New Zealand. Not many are still in print, unfortunately. I just checked Wikipedia, which says:

Most of the novels are set in England, but four are set in New Zealand, with Alleyn either on secondment to the New Zealand police (Vintage Murder, Colour Scheme, and Died in the Wool), or on holiday (Photo Finish); Surfeit of Lampreys begins in New Zealand but continues in London.

Surfeit of Lampreys (Roderick Alleyn Series) 

Vintage Murder 

Colour Scheme (Roderick Alleyn Series) 

Photo Finish (Roderick Alleyn Series)     

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bianca-Zander wrote:
I'm using a mac too so maybe that's the glitch. When I first got on the forum, the 'quote' button was there - but now it has vanished. A supernatural coincidence?

I blame the gremlins!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Did you always want to be a writer, Bianca, or did you start out with another career in mind?

Author
Bianca-Zander
0 Kudos

"Died in the Wool" has to be the best murder mystery title ever for a book set in New Zealand!
Author
Bianca-Zander
0 Kudos

Did you always want to be a writer, Bianca, or did you start out with another career in mind? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was very into fine art (painting) at high school and couldn't decide between that and writing. I went to art school, got bored, dropped out, went to university, became a journalist... then finally decided to give fiction a go in my late 20s. I didn't have the confidence or concentration to pursue it seriously before that. One of the great things about a small country like New Zealand, where the job market is a little less competitive, is that you can try out a few different careers before working out which one is for you. I've worked as a screenwriter, documentary maker and radio producer as well as writing for magazines.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bianca-Zander wrote:
Did you always want to be a writer, Bianca, or did you start out with another career in mind? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was very into fine art (painting) at high school and couldn't decide between that and writing. I went to art school, got bored, dropped out, went to university, became a journalist... then finally decided to give fiction a go in my late 20s. I didn't have the confidence or concentration to pursue it seriously before that. One of the great things about a small country like New Zealand, where the job market is a little less competitive, is that you can try out a few different careers before working out which one is for you. I've worked as a screenwriter, documentary maker and radio producer as well as writing for magazines.

You've had quite a varied career! Have you thought of making a movie of your book?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for visiting with us this week, Bianca! Come back again soon!

Author
Bianca-Zander
0 Kudos

You've had quite a varied career! Have you thought of making a movie of your book? >>>> I'd love someone else to make one - but I don't want to have anything to do with it myself.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bianca-Zander wrote:
You've had quite a varied career! Have you thought of making a movie of your book? >>>> I'd love someone else to make one - but I don't want to have anything to do with it myself.

I'll be watching your career with interest!