Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
BradParks
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author BRAD PARKS!

Eadie,

Thanks for reading the first two. And I would be delighted if you were able to find me on the road. Please do say hello. It'd be nice to connect a face to a username!

Brad

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

BradParks wrote:

Eadie,

Thanks for reading the first two. And I would be delighted if you were able to find me on the road. Please do say hello. It'd be nice to connect a face to a username!

Brad

I actually might be able to make it since the Library is about 1-1/2 hours from my house and it's at noon! I'll have to see as it gets closer to April 25th. Although Trenton, NJ is sometimes a not so nice place to visit - I need to make sure I don't get lost. I'll be sure to study directions before I leave home!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

eadieburke wrote:

BradParks wrote:

Eadie,

Brad

I actually might be able to make it since the Library is about 1-1/2 hours from my house and it's at noon! I'll have to see as it gets closer to April 25th. Although Trenton, NJ is sometimes a not so nice place to visit - I need to make sure I don't get lost. I'll be sure to study directions before I leave home!

Just checked the map and it will take me 1 hr. 4 mins. and I can travel along the Delaware River on the PA side and cross the Calhoun St. Bridge and the Library is near the State Park along the river on the Jersey side. Sounds like a piece of cake!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

BradParks wrote:

Hey everyone! Good to be here.

Let's dive right in and, oh, ReadingPatti, can I tell you how much I struggle with titles? I think it's because, as a former newspaper reporter, I never had to think of the headlines (the copy desk always did that part).

Anyhow, I like to have my titles describe the victim (in this case "the girl next door" is the paper girl/waitress who gets killed in the first scene -- she is later described as "pretty in a girl next door kind of way"). So I send a long list of such titles to my editor at St. Martin's Press. She then throws it past the cabal of editors and marketing people who decide what they think sounds cool. And, voila, title. I'm mostly just relieved when the deciding part is over. I've very bad at cool. (I mean, just look how I dress).

As to what I like about writing mysteries? Gosh. What don't I like? I guess start with the obvious: I love storytelling. It's what got me into the journalism business long ago. And I've often thought that stories with crime in them are compelling -- they're certainly what I like to read, so it seemed natural to write them.

Brad

Hi Brad! Are you still doing any newspaper work these days, or are you writing full time now?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

BradParks wrote:

Eadie,

Brad

Brad will be visiting a lot of libraries and Barnes & Noble stores on his book tour. I can't mention "competition" here, so if you go to the events page on his website you'll find even more places he'll be visiting.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

BradParks wrote:

Eadie,

Brad

i've only been to Trenton once, en route to Sesame Place in PA when my kids were little.

I don't think Brad's path is going to take him down my way (Cincinnati) - rats!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

BradParks wrote:

Eadie,

Brad

Brad will be visiting a lot of libraries and Barnes & Noble stores on his book tour. I can't mention "competition" here, so if you go to the events page on his website you'll find even more places he'll be visiting.

Checked the website. March 20th New Hope PA @ 1:00 PM at a local bookstore will be even better for me!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Welcome Brad! Thanks for coming! Do you have a character that you favor writing the most?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Brad, welcome to the forum here. I haven't read any of your books but will certainly find a few that will go in my TBR pile.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
BradParks
0 Kudos

Becke,

You asked if I still do newspaper work. And the answer, in general, is no. I still might do a bit of freelance here and there -- I've done some stuff for The Wall Street Journal and The New York Post, as well as the occasional op-ed for my old paper, The Star-Ledger. But I'm really a full-time writer.

As we always say, you can't beat the commute... ; )

Brad

Author
BradParks
0 Kudos

Hey GS2991,

You asked if I have a character I like writing most...

Is it a cop-out to say I like them all?

Yes it is.

So I would probably say, book in, book out, I like writing the interns the best (and there's a different intern in each book). For THE GIRL NEXT DOOR, the intern is nicknamed Lunky. He's a 6-foot-5, 250-pound former college tight end -- who turns out to be a closeted Philip Roth scholar. He's just a lot of fun, because he's both smart and clueless. And maybe he gives me an opportunity to take some subtle digs at Roth. ; )

Brad

Author
BradParks
0 Kudos

Maxcat -- Thanks for being willing to give me a try! If you end up hating them, I think Becke will give you your money back. Right Becke?

Brad

becke_davis
0 Kudos

BradParks wrote:

Becke,

You asked if I still do newspaper work. And the answer, in general, is no. I still might do a bit of freelance here and there -- I've done some stuff for The Wall Street Journal and The New York Post, as well as the occasional op-ed for my old paper, The Star-Ledger. But I'm really a full-time writer.

As we always say, you can't beat the commute... ; )

Brad

So true! What are you working on now - is the next book in this series already completed?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Haha yeah kinda hard to pick out one favorite character. Have you ever started a character not realizing it at the time, but later when you look at him/her the character turns out just like some one you know?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

BradParks wrote:

Hey GS2991,

You asked if I have a character I like writing most...

Is it a cop-out to say I like them all?

Yes it is.

So I would probably say, book in, book out, I like writing the interns the best (and there's a different intern in each book). For THE GIRL NEXT DOOR, the intern is nicknamed Lunky. He's a 6-foot-5, 250-pound former college tight end -- who turns out to be a closeted Philip Roth scholar. He's just a lot of fun, because he's both smart and clueless. And maybe he gives me an opportunity to take some subtle digs at Roth. ; )

Brad

I probably should have preordered my copy for Nook, but I got it as a print book instead. Hopefully the mailman will bring it soon!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Congratulations on your release day, Brad!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A word from The Interns:

The Girl Next Door

It's the national release day for The Girl Next Door (Carter Ross Series #3)  , that much-awaited moment when many tens of Brad's fans will flood the bookstores in anticipation of his latest masterpiece. At the offices of BradParksBooks.com, the hard-working interns were preparing for this by... hang on a second.

"Zach, what are you doing?" asked Sarah, the smart intern. "We have a book to promote."

Zach, the silly intern, was staring at a computer screen with an unusual degree of concentration. Behind him was a wall-sized, hand-made poster with the word "REBA" crossed out in red marker.

"What's going on?" Sarah asked.

"I'm launching a Reba McEntire smeer campaign," he said.

"Why?" asked Sarah.

"Because of this," Zach said.

Celebrity Brad

He handed her a copy of Local Scoop, a Virginia lifestyle magazine. On the cover, it listed "Celebrity Sightings: Reba McEntire, Dorris Buffett, Brad Parks."

"What's wrong?" Sarah said. "Someone actually considers Brad a celebrity. That's terrific! Misguided... but terrific!"

Maggie, the clueless intern, piped up: "Who's Dorris Buffett again?"

"Warren's sister," Zach snapped. "I'm not worried about her. But Reba. Reba is a threat. I mean, look, they gave her first billing."

"Well, don't you think that's kind of appropriate?" asked Sarah. "Hasn't she sold, like, 70 million records or something like that?"

"All the more reason we have to destroy her," Zach said. "Brad is a celebrity now. And all celebrities step on a few necks on their way to the top. It's the American way. We have to bring Reba down!"

"Zach," Sarah started. "I don't think..."

"Aha! I got it!" Zach said, pointing at the computer screen. "It says here one of her most famous songs, 'Fancy' was originally recorded by Bobbie Gentry two decades earlier. She stole it! One of Reba's biggest hits wasn't even hers!"

"That's called a cover and recording artists do it all the time," Sarah said. "Anyone who reads the liner notes would know that."

"I don't care! In this day and age, it's all about the whiff of scandal," Zach said. "Quick, fire up the Twitter account. Get the Facebook page in the harness! We'll have Reba ruined by lunchtime!"

Riiiiight. Anyhow, Zach's malice aside, the interns really are excited that people can finally get their hands on the latest entry in the award-winning Carter Ross series. The reviews have been glowing. And the interns have worked hard, getting the boss all polished up and ready to launch on The Tangled Up in Khaki Tour. They even put new tires on the Book Tour Mobile.

The interns hope you can come and visit Brad on the road—he gets lonely otherwise—but if you can't make it out to see him at your local bookstore,THE GIRL NEXT DOOR is also available on-line through retailers like Barnes & Noble.

And if you should happen to have your own sighting of Reba McEntire sometime soon, don't tell Zach. It might get ugly.

Happy Release Day,

The BradParksBooks.com Interns

Author
BradParks
0 Kudos

Becke,

You asked what I'm working on now. I've actually not only got the fourth Carter Ross done -- it's called THE GOOD COP and it's coming out next year -- I just wrapped up the fifth one. (Because there's no sense in sitting idle). My next project, once I'm done with the latest book tour, will be a stand alone novel, because it seems like time to head in that direction. Though I have only the faintest clue at this point what it even might be about. Stay tuned!

Brad

Author
BradParks
0 Kudos

GS2991,

You asked, "Have you ever started a character not realizing it at the time, but later when you look at him/her the character turns out just like some one you know?"

Actually, it ususally goes the opposite way for me. I start writing them like someone I know but then they morph into something entirely different. One of the things I enjoy about writing is having characters sort of reveal themselves to me slowly. Sometimes they really surprise me!

Brad