Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author BRAD PARKS!

BradParks wrote:

Becke,

You asked what I'm working on now. I've actually not only got the fourth Carter Ross done -- it's called THE GOOD COP and it's coming out next year -- I just wrapped up the fifth one. (Because there's no sense in sitting idle). My next project, once I'm done with the latest book tour, will be a stand alone novel, because it seems like time to head in that direction. Though I have only the faintest clue at this point what it even might be about. Stay tuned!

Brad

Now that is what I call efficient! Can you give us any hints about THE GOOD COP and Book Five? I'm intrigued about the upcoming stand-alone - I'll be eagerly watching your newsletters for news about that!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Mornin! :smileyhappy: Brad, do you like to listen to music while you write or do you like silence?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Girl Next Door (Carter Ross Series #3)  

Woo-hoo! My copy arrived today - I started reading it a little while ago and it's SOOO good! I'm almost 100 pages into it already, so I'll most likely finish it tonight. I love the premise, and it's fun to see Carter's love life develop, too. (I'm a sucker for romance.) I'm busy trying to figure out where the mystery is going to go!

It's funny - I've spent the last few weeks doing interviews and research for a big feature assignment for a landscape trade magazine. Part of the research has involved tracking down old obituaries to help piece together a family tree for a many-branched nursery family whose patriarch came here from Italy over 100 years ago. It was fun that this story centers around the obituary of an Italian-American woman - made me feel right at home!

Author
Brad_Parks
0 Kudos

Becke,

THE GOOD COP is about illegal gun-smuggling. It started when I began to recognize the incredibly disrepancy in gun-control laws that exists in this country. For example, in New Jersey, if you want to buy a gun, you have to apply for one with the town police chief, who has to do a full background check on you and has broad discretion to turn you down. Then there's a 30-day wait before you can actually possess the gun. In Virginia, where I now live, all you have to do is belly up to the table at a gun store, plunk down a valid Virginia driver's license, and off you go. PLUS, if you get a concealed carry permit -- which is relatively easy to do -- you can buy as many guns as you want, as often as you want, no questions asked (and then -- if you're unscrupulous -- you can be on the streets of Newark, NJ or Camden, NJ selling them out of your trunk later that afternoon).

CARTER ROSS NO. 5 gets into one of those great Jersey subject: Toxic waste cleanup! So it starts with people getting sick (for reasons no one can figure) and quickly involves the mob and other savory characters.

So there's lots of good, clean fun ahead for Carter!

Brad

Author
Brad_Parks
0 Kudos

GS2991,

Are you from the South or midwest? Do you know what a Hardees is?

Yeah, that's where I write -- a Hardess about five miles from where I live. Most of the time, I let the gentle tinkering of a fastfood restaurant serve as my white noise machine. But every once in a while, if someone sits right next to me and starts having a really boring conversation about the weather or their gout or something like that, I'll slip in headphones. I have a mix of totally vapid pop songs on my iTunes -- it's a list called "Brad's Writing Faves" -- that I can "listen" to without using too much brain power.

Brad

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brad_Parks wrote:

Becke,

THE GOOD COP is about illegal gun-smuggling. It started when I began to recognize the incredibly disrepancy in gun-control laws that exists in this country. For example, in New Jersey, if you want to buy a gun, you have to apply for one with the town police chief, who has to do a full background check on you and has broad discretion to turn you down. Then there's a 30-day wait before you can actually possess the gun. In Virginia, where I now live, all you have to do is belly up to the table at a gun store, plunk down a valid Virginia driver's license, and off you go. PLUS, if you get a concealed carry permit -- which is relatively easy to do -- you can buy as many guns as you want, as often as you want, no questions asked (and then -- if you're unscrupulous -- you can be on the streets of Newark, NJ or Camden, NJ selling them out of your trunk later that afternoon).

CARTER ROSS NO. 5 gets into one of those great Jersey subject: Toxic waste cleanup! So it starts with people getting sick (for reasons no one can figure) and quickly involves the mob and other savory characters.

So there's lots of good, clean fun ahead for Carter!

Brad

I think it's pretty easy to get guns in my area, too. These both sound great, Brad! I'll add them to my wish list!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Yeah I know Hardees. I like the thick burgers. What is your favorite thing to eat at a Hardees?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brad_Parks wrote:

GS2991,

Are you from the South or midwest? Do you know what a Hardees is?

Yeah, that's where I write -- a Hardess about five miles from where I live. Most of the time, I let the gentle tinkering of a fastfood restaurant serve as my white noise machine. But every once in a while, if someone sits right next to me and starts having a really boring conversation about the weather or their gout or something like that, I'll slip in headphones. I have a mix of totally vapid pop songs on my iTunes -- it's a list called "Brad's Writing Faves" -- that I can "listen" to without using too much brain power.

Brad

Hey, how did you find a Hardee's? All the ones in my area are gone.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Woo-hoo! I finished Brad's book on my lunch break. Another winner!
Brad, I lived in Succasunna, NJ back in the day, and we'd get the occasional black bear. (Never in our own yard, but down the street from us.) I can't imagine confronting a bear up close and personal!
I got a kick out of the shout-out to Jen Forbus - very cool!
I don't want to give away any spoilers so I'll leave it at that. I'll preorder the next book as soon as it's available!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brad - Thanks so much for visiting with us this week! I hope this series continues for a long time. Have fun on your tour!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Bye Brad:

Hope to see you next Tuesday in New Hope at the bookstore!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Thanks for coming Brad!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
Brad_Parks
0 Kudos

Hey Everyone! Thanks for having me. (Eadie -- Look forward to seeing you in New Hope...)

And thanks, as always, for having me, Becke. Didn't realize you were a Jersey Girl at one point. I knew there was a reason I liked you...

As I probably won't be checking in on this page all that frequently, anyone who trips on this and wants to ask me a question is more than welcome to do so -- my email is just my first name at bradparksbooks.com.

Thanks again, all!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brad_Parks wrote:

Hey Everyone! Thanks for having me. (Eadie -- Look forward to seeing you in New Hope...)

And thanks, as always, for having me, Becke. Didn't realize you were a Jersey Girl at one point. I knew there was a reason I liked you...

As I probably won't be checking in on this page all that frequently, anyone who trips on this and wants to ask me a question is more than welcome to do so -- my email is just my first name at bradparksbooks.com.

Thanks again, all!

I've lived in Cincinnati 19 years, grew up in Chicago, but also lived in London and NJ. Haven't moved as often as some people, but we've moved a fair amount!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brad's latest newsletter

[ Edited ]

The Girl Next Door
Read an excerpt

(IMPORTANT NOTE NO. 1: Due to circumstances beyond the interns' control, there have been some changes to theTangled Up in Khaki Tour schedule. Okay... maybe it wasn't entirely beyond the interns' control. Peter, the slothful intern, had been tasked with booking the tour. It turns out he spent most of the time photocopying his butt and mailing the images to strangers. Point is, if you were planning to come see Brad on the road, please check here to make sure the event still exists. Also, one of the events added—the reception being held April 16 in Newark by Jaffe Communications—requires an RSVP.)

The image was leaked by the interns atCrimespree Magazine, who at least wanted to give the interns at BradParksBooks.com a warning as to what was coming—professional courtesy among interns being what it is.

It was actually Zach, the silly intern, who printed it out and brought it to the other interns' attention: the cover of the March/April issue of the until-now highly respected crime fiction magazine.

Crimespree Cover

"Oh, dear Lord," said Sarah, the smart intern. "How are we going to spin this one?"

"I don't think we have to spin anything," Zach said. "We just have to tell Brad that the local pimp called and wants his suit back."

"Oh, I don't know, I think it's kind of cool," said Maggie, the clueless intern, as she studied the printout. "Don't you think it has an 'international man of mystery' feel about it?"

"More like James Bond when he hasn't been drinking his prune juice," Zach said.

Just then, Peter, the slothful intern, walked through the office, carrying a stack of envelopes, snickering on his way to the mailbox.

"What's his deal?" Zach asked.

"You don't want to know," Sarah said. "Anyhow, we need to stay focused here. This is Brad's first magazine cover. We can't just let this pass without, I don't know, some kind of apology. Or at least an explanation, or something."

Maggie held it up again and smiled at it. "I don't think we have to say anything. Let's just let the picture speak for itself. I mean, a picture is worth a thousand words."

"Yeah, but do all the words have to be synonyms for 'fulsome?'" Sarah asked.

"Maggie's right," Zach said. "What's the worst that could happen? We get sued by the creators of Miami Vice?"

Sarah pondered this for a moment, considering all the variables. "I guess you're right," she said, finally. "I mean, the report from the publisher is that sales of THE GIRL NEXT DOOR are up. The reviews have been great. I guess we can just let this one pass."

Just as Sarah finished this pronouncement, Peter returned to the office.

"Hey," he said. "We're out of copy toner. Does anyone know where we have more?"

(IMPORTANT NOTE NO. 2: If you should happen to see Peter's name in the return address portion of an envelope that arrives in your mail, Do notopen it).

On Behalf of Our Coverboy,
The BradParksBooks.com Interns

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

LATE BREAKING NEWS: The Girl Next Door has landed on the Baker & Taylor Mystery Bestseller List at No. 4! The interns are, naturally, taking full credit.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Brad's latest newsletter

Girl Next Door Large Type Edition

The assault came as soon as Sarah, the smart intern, walked through the front doors of the offices atBradParksBooks.com. Inside, she found Zach, the silly intern, bursting with the insouciant energy of a 22-year-old who doesn't get paid for his work but doesn't care because he now knows he'll be on his parents' healthcare plan through age 25.

"Hey there!" exclaimed Zach. "Is this a beautiful morning or what?"

"Yeah, I guess it's..." Sarah started.

"There's a bright golden haze on the meadow," Zach interrupted. "And the corn is as high as an elephant's eye."

"Are you applying for an internship at the Rogers and Hammerstein Foundation or something?" Sarah asked.

"No, I'm just really happy!"

"That's fine. Now could you please stop yelling?"

"I'm not yelling," Zach said. "I'm simply choosing an appropriate font size in which to announce that Brad's latest book, THE GIRL NEXT DOOR, is now available in a large print edition."

"Okay, that's great," Sarah said. "Now knock it off with the large font already!"

And she actually was yelling.

"Sorry," Zach said. "Anyway, as I was about to say, it's great news because now readers of advanced age—you know, like forty or something—can enjoy Brad's work."

"You seriously consider forty an advanced age?"

"You're right. I really should have said thirty-five."

And with that, Zach was banned from talking for the rest of the day. But he still wanted people to know the large print edition of THE GIRL NEXT DOOR is now available from the publisher or can be ordered from your favorite bookseller, be it virtual or actual.

In other news, Brad has been named Toastmaster at Left Coast Crime 2014, a prestigious honor that nevertheless fell to him. (Maggie, the clueless intern, immediately started buying loaves of bread so Brad could practice until Sarah assured her it wasn't that kind of toast).

Meanwhile, the Tangled Up in Khaki Tour has now run its course. In case you missed it the interns have assembled a small photo montage (mostly to make you glad you did).

Here's Brad making some new fans at Velma Teague Library in Glendale, Arizona:

Glendale, AZ, We Love Brad

Here's Brad losing one of those fans:

Glendale, AZ, The Dip

Here's Brad at Sacramento City Cemetery, proving he can always be goaded into posing for a silly photograph, even in a place where such antics are probably inappropriate:

Sacramento Cemetery Statue

And here's this photo, taken at a nice event thrown for him by his friends at Jaffe Communications. It's not a particularly interesting picture, but it at least proves Brad did not wear the same beige-colored blazer at every single tour stop:

Jaffe Communications

Finally, if you really did miss Brad on tour, you can watch this YouTube video taken of him at the Gaithersburg Book Festival, where he made most of the same jokes he did at all his other signings. If you hurry, you can be the 21st viewer.

Gaithersburg Book Festival

Hope you're having a great summer; or, sorry, in honor of Zach: Hope you're having a great summer.

Warmly,
The BradParksBooks.com Interns

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke, I see that Brad is scheduled to be the Toastmaster at Left Coast Crime for 2012! Since the theme is Calamari Crime, I wonder if Brad is practicing his, um, "squid-worthy" jokes? Heee Heee!:catlol:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke, I see that Brad is scheduled to be the Toastmaster at Left Coast Crime for 2012! Since the theme is Calamari Crime, I wonder if Brad is practicing his, um, "squid-worthy" jokes? Heee Heee!:catlol:

I bet you're right!

Author
Brad_Parks
0 Kudos

Actually, I'm thinking of delivering the speech in a squid costume. They have those at Party City, right?