becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CATE NOBLE!

Awhile back I asked friends who attended the Reader Appreciation Day at the West Chester, Ohio Barnes & Noble to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors.

This is what they came up with (I've adapted the list a bit):

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What have you been reading lately?

3) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

4) If you were casting any of your books, who would you choose?

5) Are you a pantser or a plotter?

6) What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cate - Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I just thought of one more thing. Would you share your "call" story with us? I love hearing how authors got the news of their first sale!

Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

More Q & A's with Cate Noble

What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

Touch. Fingers skimming low across sensitive skin. Teeth grazing lightly over a humming artery. Of course, I’m an extremely tactile person by nature. Most of my first drafts are still written in longhand. The scratch of nib and ink on paper is a siren’s song to my inner storyteller.  

I also like to juxtapose emotional feedback from touch against reason - i.e,  those fingers skimming lower and lower feel divine, coercing my heroine into dropping her emotional defenses. Until she remembers the last time she felt this divine, and knows she’ll regret it come morning. (Must. Shove. Hands. Away.)

What have you been reading lately?

Angels. Just finished Nalini Singh’s ARCHANGEL’S CONSORT.  On my nightstand now is  Kristina Douglas’s THE FALLEN: RAZIEL 

Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

I watch very little TV, but when I do...it’s crime drama, baby!  NCIS – any season, any time. Doesn't matter that I've seen every epsiode a dozen times.  Ditto for Burn Notice.  And Bones. (Gotta love David Boreanaz!)  

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Re: More Q & A's with Cate Noble

[ Edited ]

Cate

I'm actually watching reruns of NCIS right now. :smileyvery-happy:

Do you ever watch NCIS: Los Angeles?

My Book Giveaways

http://www.darkangel88.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cate_Noble wrote:

What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

Touch. Fingers skimming low across sensitive skin. Teeth grazing lightly over a humming artery. Of course, I’m an extremely tactile person by nature. Most of my first drafts are still written in longhand. The scratch of nib and ink on paper is a siren’s song to my inner storyteller.  

I also like to juxtapose emotional feedback from touch against reason - i.e,  those fingers skimming lower and lower feel divine, coercing my heroine into dropping her emotional defenses. Until she remembers the last time she felt this divine, and knows she’ll regret it come morning. (Must. Shove. Hands. Away.)

What have you been reading lately?

Angels. Just finished Nalini Singh’s ARCHANGEL’S CONSORT.  On my nightstand now is  Kristina Douglas’s THE FALLEN: RAZIEL 

Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

I watch very little TV, but when I do...it’s crime drama, baby!  NCIS – any season, any time. Doesn't matter that I've seen every epsiode a dozen times.  Ditto for Burn Notice.  And Bones. (Gotta love David Boreanaz!)  

Oooh - I love what you wrote about touch! ;-)

I just read Raziel, too, and Nalini Singh's new one is in my TBR pile. Did you know Kristina Douglas is a new pen name for Anne Stuart? She's a fave of mine.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

From Cate:

Here's a few more personal pictures. "What I do when I'm not writing."  I walk across the Hathaway Bridge that connects Panama City and Panama City Beach.  I am also a world-class lizard catcher.  How do these creatures get in my house?

cate noble hathaway3.jpg
cate noble LIZARD_20101217_081819.jpg
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

That was one of the lucky lizards. (Actually, I think they're called anoles.) I caught him and set him free. I think they sneak into the house while I'm out walking the bridge :smileymad:

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

darkangel_1988 wrote:

Don't ask me why, but I've never caught full episodes of NCIS: Los Angeles. So I've never made the same connection with that show. Do I need to make a better effort to watch it? (Or tape episodes?)
Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cate_Noble wrote:

That was one of the lucky lizards. (Actually, I think they're called anoles.) I caught him and set him free. I think they sneak into the house while I'm out walking the bridge :smileymad:

He's cuter - and greener - than the geckos I usually see. They don't bite or anything, do they? This guy is a handsome fellow!

Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

More Q & As with Cate Noble

These are FUN questions, Becke!

If you were casting any of your books, who would you choose?

Kevin Sorbo, circa “Hercules,” would have played a great Dante Johnson. (DEAD RIGHT)

But Matthew McConaughey would rule as DEADLY GAMES' Rocco Taylor. (Love, love, love all things McConaughey.)

Are you a pantser or a plotter?

A plotter. I used to be a little of both, but once I began writing a series, I became a hardcore fan of plotting. I’ve developed my own series of charts and methods that help me plot all the angles while keeping it interesting. My plotting is usually so in depth that I consider it a rough first draft. (Emphasis on ‘rough.’)

What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

I went from the Bobbsey Twins to Nancy Drew to (pant, pant) the Hardy Boys. My grandmother had a complete-at-the-time set of the Hardy Boys mysteries that probably belonged to one of my uncles. I read and re-read them, tucked away in grandma's attic. I sometimes wonder if my secret crush on older brother Frank Hardy fueled my interest in writing romantic suspense.

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I just read Raziel, too, and Nalini Singh's new one is in my TBR pile. Did you know Kristina Douglas is a new pen name for Anne Stuart? She's a fave of mine.

As soon as I heard Kristina Douglas was Anne Stuart, I dropped everything, hopped in my car and drove straight to the bookstore. There are not many authors that I'd do that for, so yeah, she's a fave of mine, too!

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: More Q & As with Cate Noble

Cate_Noble wrote:

These are FUN questions, Becke!

If you were casting any of your books, who would you choose?

Kevin Sorbo, circa “Hercules,” would have played a great Dante Johnson. (DEAD RIGHT)

But Matthew McConaughey would rule as DEADLY GAMES' Rocco Taylor. (Love, love, love all things McConaughey.)

Are you a pantser or a plotter?

A plotter. I used to be a little of both, but once I began writing a series, I became a hardcore fan of plotting. I’ve developed my own series of charts and methods that help me plot all the angles while keeping it interesting. My plotting is usually so in depth that I consider it a rough first draft. (Emphasis on ‘rough.’)

What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

I went from the Bobbsey Twins to Nancy Drew to (pant, pant) the Hardy Boys. My grandmother had a complete-at-the-time set of the Hardy Boys mysteries that probably belonged to one of my uncles. I read and re-read them, tucked away in grandma's attic. I sometimes wonder if my secret crush on older brother Frank Hardy fueled my interest in writing romantic suspense.

I'm looking for a couple of visual aides for your casting:

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Cate_Noble wrote:

darkangel_1988 wrote:

Don't ask me why, but I've never caught full episodes of NCIS: Los Angeles. So I've never made the same connection with that show. Do I need to make a better effort to watch it? (Or tape episodes?)

Well I'm not that crazy about NCIS: Los Angeles but I sometimes watch it.

You might want to watch a episode just to see if you like NCIS: L.A. :smileyhappy:

My Book Giveaways

http://www.darkangel88.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cate_Noble wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

As soon as I heard Kristina Douglas was Anne Stuart, I dropped everything, hopped in my car and drove straight to the bookstore. There are not many authors that I'd do that for, so yeah, she's a fave of mine, too!

I have learned not to start reading her books late in the day, though - not if I plan to get any sleep that night! How a woman who is so sweet, funny and, yes, a little nutty in real life can write such dark and HOT stories is a mystery to me!

Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I'm looking for a couple of visual aides for your casting:

Did I say that touch was my strongest sense?  I meant SIGHT. Visuals are so, so, so important.

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm with you there - but can we split the difference and go with touch AND sight? Because, y'know, those two look pretty touch-worthy to me.

Geesh, and here I've been behaving myself so well lately, too!

And I spelled "aides" wrong, didn't I? That's one of my words-to-watch-for when it comes to spelling.

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Cate

So many books now on my TBR list and yours will be moving up!

What are your inspirations?  Do you ever get writers block?  How do you handle that?

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Cate_Noble wrote:

He's cuter - and greener - than the geckos I usually see. They don't bite or anything, do they? This guy is a handsome fellow!

Nah they're harmless. Noisy though, worse than crickets and 20 times as loud in the summer.

Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

What are your inspirations?  Do you ever get writers block?  How do you handle that?

Thanks, J! Sounds like your TBR pile resembles mine.

My inspiration for specific stories usually comes from dreams. I'm a vivid night dreamer, which means I can also have wicked nightmares. (I tell myself it's all fodder for books.) My inspiration for writing in general comes from being an avid reader. You know how you can read a book that's so darn good, you start to read more slowly because you don't want it to end?  Or how you close a book after the last page and just sit there shaking your head in amazement because you were so thoroughly entertained? That inspires me to be a better storyteller.

As far as writer's block...{shudder} Me no like that word.

Seriously, sometimes I hit walls within a story, but I've learned that it's usually because I haven't plotted it out correctly or I've failed to fully flesh out a character. When I have a story idea that's compelling, it creates its own energy - a sense of urgency to write. When I have characters that I'm in love with, I'm eager to interact with them. If I'm not eager - then I go back to the drawing board and brainstorm a new angle. If I don't have a high level of enthusiasm for the work, it's impossible to write. 

I've also seen writer-friends "blocked" {shudder} because of self-doubt and worry. Worry over how the book will be received, or whether it iwll sell, or if their editor will like it, etc. Their concern over a possible future outcome cripples them.

Likewise, word flow will freeze if a writer starts to expect their sentences to come out perfect the first time around. There are two distinct stages to writing: creating and editing. They are performed sequentially, not simultaneously. You create a first draft, then you read it and ask if it accomplishes what you wanted it to. If not, then you edit/revise until it does. But you have to get those initial words onto paper or screen first. Trying to edit words before I even type them will send me out of my office in search of housework. And I hate housework.

Is that helpful?

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cate_Noble wrote:

leisure_reader wrote:

Thanks, J! Sounds like your TBR pile resembles mine.

My inspiration for specific stories usually comes from dreams. I'm a vivid night dreamer, which means I can also have wicked nightmares. (I tell myself it's all fodder for books.) My inspiration for writing in general comes from being an avid reader. You know how you can read a book that's so darn good, you start to read more slowly because you don't want it to end?  Or how you close a book after the last page and just sit there shaking your head in amazement because you were so thoroughly entertained? That inspires me to be a better storyteller.

Oooh - that is so cool about your dreams influencing your stories!

As far as writer's block...{shudder} Me no like that word.

Seriously, sometimes I hit walls within a story, but I've learned that it's usually because I haven't plotted it out correctly or I've failed to fully flesh out a character. When I have a story idea that's compelling, it creates its own energy - a sense of urgency to write. When I have characters that I'm in love with, I'm eager to interact with them. If I'm not eager - then I go back to the drawing board and brainstorm a new angle. If I don't have a high level of enthusiasm for the work, it's impossible to write. 

I've also seen writer-friends "blocked" {shudder} because of self-doubt and worry. Worry over how the book will be received, or whether it iwll sell, or if their editor will like it, etc. Their concern over a possible future outcome cripples them.

Been there; done that. Sooo frustrating when that happens!

Likewise, word flow will freeze if a writer starts to expect their sentences to come out perfect the first time around. There are two distinct stages to writing: creating and editing. They are performed sequentially, not simultaneously. You create a first draft, then you read it and ask if it accomplishes what you wanted it to. If not, then you edit/revise until it does. But you have to get those initial words onto paper or screen first. Trying to edit words before I even type them will send me out of my office in search of housework. And I hate housework.

Is that helpful?