Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CATE NOBLE!

Thanks for the welcome. I love spending time with fellow readers, so I'm tickled to be on the B&N Mystery boards today! 

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

*waves madly* Hi Jenn!! Thanks so much for stopping by!

I was excited to see your name in the acknowledgments of Cate's new book - how cool!

Ditto-ing the mad waves to Jenn. Besides being a branding genius and an oh-so-awesome-writer herself, Jenn is a fab brainstormer.

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

LizBemis wrote:

Hello Cate from your webmaster!!

Hello AWESOME webmaster! As Becke noted, Bemis Productions handles my website. And Liz gets all the credit for creating the "suspenseful" tone that greets you on my home page. Glad you're here today, Liz!
Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
Author
loriharris
0 Kudos

Hi, Cate!  You're one of my favorite authors!  I just picked up Deadly Games and can't wait to read it. 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Cate:

I just read your story DEAL WITH THE DEVIL from the book, BADDEST BAD BOYS. I really enjoyed the adventures of Max and Ellie. The book also has stories from Shannon McKenna and E. C. Sheedy. Shannon will be visiting with us also, so I read her story, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE. Enjoyed her story too. This book really gave me a taste for your writing and it seems that I will be picking up some more of your books in the near future! 

Thanks again for visiting with us!

Baddest Bad Boys

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

FUN questions, Becke!  I'll answer a few now - a few later:

What are you most likely to be doing when you Really Should Be Writing? 

Reading - it’s that old too many books, too little time, problem.  Unintentional web-surfing can be a huge distraction, too. For example, I can go to BN.com, intent on checking out just ONE specific book. Then something in that “customers who bought this also bought...” box will catch my eye, and next thing I know, I’ve been online for two hours. (And ordered waaaay too many books!)

Who was your favorite character in your books, and why?

Can I pick two? Grey Thomas, the undercover hero in my first Lauren Bach novel, LONE RIDER, will always be special because he was my first published hero – and a girl never forgets her first. However, Rocco Taylor, the hero of DEADLY GAMES, has haunted my dreams for years. Rocco first appeared in DEAD RIGHT, then again in DEADLY SEDUCTION.  So by the time his story rolled around, I was beyond eager to write. Now that I think about it, I liked that Grey and Rocco both had an old-fashioned sense of honor.

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cate_Noble wrote:

Thanks, Becke. I'm delighted to be here. And happy President's Day everyone!

Happy President's Day to you, too, Cate!

Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Cate:

I just read your story DEAL WITH THE DEVIL from the book, BADDEST BAD BOYS. I really enjoyed the adventures of Max and Ellie.

DEAL WITH THE DEVIL was my first novella. I had fun with the characters, but what a challenge to write a compacted storyline! I admire the masters of this shorter format. It was also uber cool to be in a anthology with two of my favorite authors, Shannon McKenna and E. C. Sheedy. I enjoyed the experience.

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

loriharris wrote:

Hi, Cate!  You're one of my favorite authors!  I just picked up Deadly Games and can't wait to read it. 

Hi Lori - thanks for joining us! Are you the Lori Harris who writes for Harlequin Intrigue, by chance?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cate_Noble wrote:

FUN questions, Becke!  I'll answer a few now - a few later:

What are you most likely to be doing when you Really Should Be Writing? 

Reading - it’s that old too many books, too little time, problem.  Unintentional web-surfing can be a huge distraction, too. For example, I can go to BN.com, intent on checking out just ONE specific book. Then something in that “customers who bought this also bought...” box will catch my eye, and next thing I know, I’ve been online for two hours. (And ordered waaaay too many books!)

Who was your favorite character in your books, and why?

Can I pick two? Grey Thomas, the undercover hero in my first Lauren Bach novel, LONE RIDER, will always be special because he was my first published hero – and a girl never forgets her first. However, Rocco Taylor, the hero of DEADLY GAMES, has haunted my dreams for years. Rocco first appeared in DEAD RIGHT, then again in DEADLY SEDUCTION.  So by the time his story rolled around, I was beyond eager to write. Now that I think about it, I liked that Grey and Rocco both had an old-fashioned sense of honor.

This brings me to a question I'd forgotten to ask: Why did you decide to start using Cate Noble instead of Lauren Bach? Are the Lauren Bach books written in a different style?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's nice to see so many people visiting today. I was absent for about two hours, and NOT because I was working on the garden deadline I have today, which is what I should have been doing.

Nope, we had a power cut for two solid hours and I'd forgotten to charge my laptop last night. My landline phone was dead, too. I practically went into withdrawal - no computer, not much charge left on my cell phone, no lights, no heat, no TV. Aak!!

On the plus side, I did manage to finish getting my tax papers organized in the semi-darkness (it's very rainy and gloomy here today), after working on them all weekend. When the lights came back on, though, my husband and I were definitely doing a happy dance! (He works from home, too.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm posting a picture from Cate's personal collection. I'll let her explain it to you!

cate noble.jpg
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Welcome, Cate, to the Mystery thread. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

It's nice to be so welcome! Thanks for inviting me.

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I'm posting a picture from Cate's personal collection. I'll let her explain it to you!

Does this really need explaining? It's me, girded up to do battle with words. (Think: This is war!) Truth be told, it's also me, girded up to diet. (Think: Die, cake, die!) Could also pass as me girded up to clean house. (Think: Housework makes you ugly.)

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

loriharris wrote:

Hi Lori - thanks for joining us! Are you the Lori Harris who writes for Harlequin Intrigue, by chance?

Yes, that is the same Lori L. Harris who writes for Harlequin Intrigue!  Nice to see Lori here, too!

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

Q & A with Cate Noble

Continuing with Becke's questions....

Was there any particular scene that you had difficulty writing, and why?

In DEADLY GAMES, the heroine, Gena Armstrong, has the twin ghosts of alcoholism and abuse, that haunted her past. Because I chose to show those past scenes as extended flashbacks, I struggled with how to convey Gena’s old vulnerability without undermining her present strength. Gena made some bad choices and paid the price. But she changed and made better choices. It was challenging to show a character at her worst while still keeping the reader sympathetic toward the character.

What is the weirdest thing you do when writing to get into the process?

LOL! I can’t share the truly weirdest in a public forum. But I will tell you about my magic writing socks. They’re thick and neon-bright colored, with little star-shaped gripper things on the bottom. I can’t write when my feet are cold and my husband bought these as a joke because I’m always in search of the perfect pair of socks. (Did I mention I don’t wear shoes unless I absolutely have to?) There’s something cosmic about these socks and part of my ritual of sitting down to write, is slipping on my magic writing socks. As you might imagine, no writing happens on laundry days. 

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Taken 
Cate_Noble wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

loriharris wrote:

Yes, that is the same Lori L. Harris who writes for Harlequin Intrigue!  Nice to see Lori here, too!

Set Up With the Agent

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cate_Noble wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Does this really need explaining? It's me, girded up to do battle with words. (Think: This is war!) Truth be told, it's also me, girded up to diet. (Think: Die, cake, die!) Could also pass as me girded up to clean house. (Think: Housework makes you ugly.)

When it comes to ME and dieting, this would be more effective:

Author
Cate_Noble
0 Kudos

More Q & A with Cate Noble

Another question from Becke:

Why did you decide to start using Cate Noble instead of Lauren Bach? Are the Lauren Bach books written in a different style?

The Bach titles were all stand-alone books, and while generally well-reviewed, they weren’t growing in the market. I discussed this with my editor - the late, great, Kate Duffy – who suggested (again!) that I develop connected storylines, because readers liked involvement with a series. (Kate knew the market. And she truly respected the end user: the reader.) Kate also suggested I emphasize the suspense elements versus the romance; to go for a grittier read. Since these books would be a different tone and direction from the Bach novels, we decided to go with a different pseudonym as well.

Side note: Kate dreamt up my new pseudonym. It was originally supposed to be “Kate Noble’  – a blending of Kate’s first name and one of her close friend’s surname. I loved it!  But half-way into production, we learned there was another ‘Kate Noble’ preparing to debut in historical romance, so we changed to Cate Noble. And no matter how it’s spelled, it will always be my special gift from Kate Duffy.

Cate Noble
www.CateNoble.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: More Q & A with Cate Noble

Cate_Noble wrote:

Another question from Becke:

Why did you decide to start using Cate Noble instead of Lauren Bach? Are the Lauren Bach books written in a different style?

The Bach titles were all stand-alone books, and while generally well-reviewed, they weren’t growing in the market. I discussed this with my editor - the late, great, Kate Duffy – who suggested (again!) that I develop connected storylines, because readers liked involvement with a series. (Kate knew the market. And she truly respected the end user: the reader.) Kate also suggested I emphasize the suspense elements versus the romance; to go for a grittier read. Since these books would be a different tone and direction from the Bach novels, we decided to go with a different pseudonym as well.

Side note: Kate dreamt up my new pseudonym. It was originally supposed to be “Kate Noble’  – a blending of Kate’s first name and one of her close friend’s surname. I loved it!  But half-way into production, we learned there was another ‘Kate Noble’ preparing to debut in historical romance, so we changed to Cate Noble. And no matter how it’s spelled, it will always be my special gift from Kate Duffy.

I friend of mine wrote a lot of books for Kate Duffy under one pen name. She's just sold a series of mysteries to Berkley and in honor of Kate, she is using part of her name as a pen name. ("Duffy Brown")