Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author CHARLEY COLINS!

Debut mystery author CHARLEY COLINS also writes romance as Keri Ford. Charley (aka Keri) is a good friend of mine - like the fabulous Duffy Brown, Keri and I have been roommates at a writer's conference before. I'm excited that many authors are going back and forth between romance and mystery, two of my favorite genres!

Please welcome Charley Colins/Keri Ford! http://keriford.com/charley-colins/

Keri Ford

About Keri

Keri Ford was raised in South Arkansas on a farm surrounded by family, horses, cows, donkeys, ostriches, emus, chickens, ducks, Canadian Geese, and enough dogs one would think they were a pound…and then she bought a Cosmopolitan when she was twenty-two. She doesn’t recall the fantastic sex tip that drew her to the magazine, but she vividly remembers reading an excerpt of Christina’s Skye’s Code Name: Princess. One elevator scene and quick thought of, I didn’t know people wrote stuff like this… and her life would never be the same.

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CHARLEY COLINS!

In Her Sights  

The Lexie Olympia Novels

Some call her a killer.
Others call her a hero.

Lexie Olympia calls herself neither. She’s getting the job done because she can. A beloved philanthropist by day who’s nicknamed Melville’s Sweetheart, Lexie has the city wrapped around her little finger. Having been a victim in the past, left behind with the killer still on the loose, Lexie knows what it’s like to live with that fear. Instead of biting her nails over it, she takes action. Drug lords, gang leaders, con artists, kidnappers, serial killers, anyone who leaves behind innocent victims are marked on Lexie’s list.

When a neighbor leaves a stolen ancient dagger on her doorstep and skips town, Lexie’s left picking up the pieces. The police, a local private investigator, and a gang are all after this artifact and Lexie uses her nighttime persona, Artemis, to get to the bottom of things. Everything is going smoothly until she gets caught.

Chapter One - Excerpt

Lexie Olympia stood over her nightstand and debated between the .38 special and the Taser. Whoever was breaking into her safe downstairs deserved to have the .38 for an early breakfast, but it would create a huge mess. Not just blood. Particles and pieces. It would splatter over whatever was near his head. Considering the location of the thief leaning in her safe, the snub nose gun would have brain matter landing all over her diamonds.

Ruining millions of dollars in precious stones was bad, but it wasn’t the worst of it. It was after three in the morning. Daylight was way too close to be dumping a dead body. And calling the police after shooting him would guarantee the newspapers. Like hell would she have a photograph of a chalk outline on her marble floors printed. Or worse, the photographers could make some tacky request for her to pose with the gun.

A chill went over her shoulders.

She shook and grabbed the Taser. Fifty thousand volts pulsing through his nervous system would do the trick. Looked like she’d be the lucky Ms. Olympia tonight who bravely caught a man sneaking around her home.

She unclicked the probe cartridge and pulled the trigger. Electricity sparked and sizzled, signaling it was ready to go. She re-inserted the probes and hurried down the hall. Her pink slippers with fluffy white lambs jumping over fences silenced her steps. That and years of training that taught her how to move quickly, but silently.

At the top of the stairs, she checked the security feed to her phone to see her intruder was still there and still elbow deep in her safe. Good. Just stay there one more minute and she’d light him up more than Mrs. Abrenger did her yard for the holidays. For the first time, the thought of all those giant snowmen, numerous candy canes, and nonstop flashing lights put a smile on Lexie’s face.

She slung her leg over the mahogany stair railing and slid to the second floor landing. Then repeated to the bottom level. Her toes made not a sound as she eased off the banister to the floor. The burglar on camera didn’t startle or even pause. Instead he continued pawing her diamonds. Anything in that safe was easily replaceable, but if he took her new custom designed emerald bracelet and went out the window before she got there, she’d hunt him down like the low-down, dirty thief deserved to be. That bracelet was needed to match a dress she had plans for next week.

This thief was good, having made it this far without her knowledge. She’d give him that. It was farther than anyone else had gotten. Had she not already been awake and staring at her phone at the time, it was possible she’d have missed him altogether. He’d done his research and discovered not only her primary security system, but also the back-up. Unfortunately for him and anyone else who tried, there was no paper trail on the very small camera installed on her safe. Then also just her. Everyone underestimated Lexie Olympia. A very big mistake. Satisfying warmth snaked through her blood.

The sweet and innocent Ms. Lexie Olympia role she played during the day was all part of her disguise.

She eased around the edge of the stair railing and peeked down the north hallway. It was dark, and she hurried toward her office. She wanted to be there before he was finished so she could take him by surprise.

She slipped inside her office. The deep room with a small table and chairs, sitting area, and large desk all appeared normal. Moonlight streamed through the window on the far wall, adding a highlight to each item. Even a sheen of light touched the edges of the usually closed, but this time opened door to the small storage room containing her safe.

Careful of items in the room, she crept closer and peeked inside. There her thief stood. His back to her, arms inside her safe. Seeing him on camera was one thing. Seeing him in her things in person infuriated her all over again. Her pulse throbbed through her veins, but after years of training, her breath was controlled and silent.

He had wide shoulders. From her angle behind him, he appeared to have thick arms. Legs shoulder-width apart and built, by the looks of the way they fit his cargo pants. He had the kind of build she tended to avoid for hand-to-hand combat unless it was necessary. She was skilled, fast, and in shape. She was also only five-ten and one thirty-five. One well-landed punch from arms that size and nothing else would matter. It’d be over with because she’d be unconscious.

He straightened and grunted like he was frustrated. If he thought it was bad trying to rob her, he should try being robbed a time or two. She resisted a grunt of her own. Time to get this over with. She lifted the Taser and aimed to take him before he had a chance to swing at her.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

http://anyadavis.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/please-welcome-author-keri-ford/

Anya: Hi Keri – thanks so much for visiting here today! Tell us about yourself! How long have you been writing, and what are you working on now?

Keri: It was 5 years in July! I plotted my first book during college Lit 2! Right now I’m working on the second story in my Uninhibited in Apple Trail, Arkansas Series. My editor wants 6 in all, so I need to get cracking! Only 2 are finished.

I was raised in South Arkansas on a farm surrounded by family, horses, cows, donkeys, ostriches, emus, chickens, ducks, Canadian Geese, and enough dogs one would think we were a pound…And then I bought a Cosmopolitan when I was twenty-two.

I don’t recall what I’m sure was some fantastic sex tip, but I vividly remember reading an excerpt of Christina’s Skye’sCode Name: Princess. One elevator scene and quick thought of, I didn’t know people wrote stuff like this… and my life would never be the same.

Anya: You’ve just sold two books (but your editor wants SIX??? Wow!). Would you tell us about the books you’ve completed and sold?

Keri: Yes! Short version: Hot sex for shy girls!

Long version: The women in Apple Trail, Arkansas are working up the courage to ask for some spice in their life. They don’t want to be chained up and whipped, but just have a little…fun.

Stephanie’s been hearing her neighbor’s nightly sexcapades through her bedroom wall and she wants a turn. But Parker Madison isn’t so easily swayed. He wants Stephanie all right, but not just in the bedroom. He wants commitment and long-term, not a quick roll.
Short-term does not lead to long term.

Or can it….hmm…we’ll have to wait and see what these two can do!

Anya: They sound great – I’m excited to read them both!

What’s your writing process like? Are you a plotter or a pantser?

Keri: I’m a pantyliner (I didn’t coin that phrase, I picked it up along the way). I usually start with an idea, pant my tale off (heh) for the first 3 or so chapters and then after that I loosely plot the rest.

Anya: I’m going to have to remember that one!

We met (in person) at Lori Foster’s get together in Cincinnati, but that’s not where you come from. Tell us a little about yourself!

Keri: And it was so much fun meeting you! Sorry if I snored. And sorry about the makeup everywhere…and shoes…and clothes (I’m not a light packer, folks).

I’m from South Arkansas. I’ve been down here since I was 3ish. I grew up on a farm and shortly after I married, my husband and I put a house on that same farm. I live about 200 yards from the home I grew up in. It’s really cool to look outside and see my little boy playing in the same places I did when I was his age.

Anya: Um, you didn’t snore, but I bet I did. And, honey, I think my makeup took up more of the bathroom than yours did! (Remind me to send you the latest blackmail payment – I wouldn’t want those pictures of me without makeup getting out!)

Tell us about your interests and activities in your “real” life!

Keri: Life exists outside of writing and the internet?? Why hasn’t anyone told me this before???

I have a lot of interests in a lot of things that I don’t get to do near enough. I LOVE to draw pictures with charcoal, but with a toddler in the house, that’s hard to do. I enjoy making large 3D cakes for my son’s birthdays and family functions. This turkey was a huge hit at Thanksgiving last year! I’ve got an idea in mind to do a bucket of apples for a function later in September! It’ll be my first dip into using modeling chocolate, too!

Anya: Now that we know you can make 3D cakes, you will be in charge of food for our next party! (I’m thinking nekkid cowboys, shirtless Scot …)

Who are some of your favorite authors, and what are some of your favorite books? (For example, if you could only keep five books, what would they be?)

Keri: Oh, boy. Okay, here’s five, sort of. And they are subject to change!

Gaelen Foley’s His Wicked Kiss. This book is part of a series and it showed me how to write a family series and keep it interesting.

Monica McCarty’s Highlander Series (yeah, I know, it’s not *A* book). These books showed me how to write alpha males that aren’t a-holes and strong females that don’t cross the b-line.

Victoria Dahl’s Start Me Up. This is a newer release, but this story had a direct impact on my Uninhibited series by showing me strong, sexually active heroines who don’t come across as trashy/slutty.

Cindy Gerard‘s To The Edge. Showed me a great tortured hero.

Janet Evanovich’s One For The Money. This showed me characterization and how very small things can make you laugh out loud and be remembered. It showed me it’s the small things that can make a book memorable.

Anya: Great choices!

Still on the subject of books, which books/authors turned you on to romance?

Keri: My first romance book was Christina Skye’s Code Name: Princess. I was hooked. And then Suzanne Enoch’s Sin and Sensibility was my first historical and turned me onto that genre. Anytime I think of books that brought me to the genre, those are at the top of my list.

Anya: What were your favorite books as a child?

Keri: The Shel Silverstein poem books. My grandpa gave them too me and I loved them. I’ve read them several times over. In fact, I bought my son his own set so he couldn’t ruin mine. (safety first!) When I was pregnant, my husband read all of them to my belly.

Anya: Aww, that’s so sweet!

Would you share your “call” story with us – how you found out you’d sold your first book?

Keri: That was such a whirlwind! I sent Turquoise Morning Press a historical that they passed on. The editor there said she’d love to see something contemporary from me. I was working on a novella at the time, so when I finished it, I sent it to her.

I woke up the next morning to an email saying she loved it and she wanted it! It was about 6 in the morning, so I ran and jumped on the bed and woke my husband up. And then had to wait several hours for other people to get out of bed before I could do more exciting jumping and squealing. In all, I submitted, sold and signed my first contract in under 24hours. Like I said, whirlwind.

Anya: Wow, that is so cool!

What have been some other important turning points in your life?

Keri: Uh…I kind of failed at a lot of things. I wasn’t afraid to try anything new. I went to college for broadcasting, dropped that after about 3 days. Who knew you had to be so invested in politics to read a telemonitor??

Next I tried out photography. I love taking pictures. Forming the books and ordering prints and all that jazz—not so much. Next I looked at education. I though high school teacher! Yeah, that didn’t last either.

Writing was something that I loved day in and day out. Even when I was stuck on a story and rejections were rolling in, quitting never came to mind. After I had stuck with it for over a year and still found it thrilling, I knew then writing was what I was supposed to do. I just clicked on day and drove me harder to write more and learn more.

Anya: They say we only learn when we fail, you know. And now you are on your way …

Who are your hotties (in real life, fiction or TV/movies)?

Keri: Ah, gotta say my husband here. We met when I was 17. I knew before I turned 18 I wanted to marry him—and I did a few years later! My favorite story to tell is of our first date. We met at a jr. high football game and he was so nervous, he hid in the press box for the first twenty minutes!

Anya: So romantic!

Where would you like to be, career-wise, in five years?

Keri: Would saying Top of the New York Times be a little farfetched? I have a saying, reach for the stars and maybe you’ll land on the moon. I always think big and broad and reach as far as I can. An end goal for me would be supporting my family with my writing.

Anya: I’ve heard you have to imagine it to make it happen, so go for it, baby!

Tell us a couple of little-known facts about yourself.

Keri: I hate the letter ‘k’. I really do. It’s such an ugly letter to me. It’s all sharp edges and straight lines. I don’t even like writing it all that much. You would have thought I would have factored that in when I selected my penname.

Umm…I don’t wear makeup or glam up at home all that often. So when I do, people who’ve known me my whole life often don’t recognize me. I talked to someone for about fifteen minutes one time before he figured out who I was. He was shocked.

Anya: Now I wish I’d asked for before and after make-up pictures! But – the letter K? Well, I already know a Carey (and two Keri’s and a Kerry), so what’s it going to be: Qery? Uhhhhhh …

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Keri: A flying unicorn. Let’s just say I never lacked for an imagination. It wasn’t just a random dream. I mean, I seriously thought out the pros and cons of it. The travel I could do. The good I could accomplish (I supposed I fancied myself as a possible superhero). I could fly around to see the world for free! I was a big dreamer—still am.

Anya: Is it confusing to share the same first name as one of your author friends?

Keri: LOL, not at all. For those who don’t know, Keri Stevens is a good friend and author who also recently made her first sale to Carina Press! Yay!

We call her Keri and I’m called Whippersnapper (they think I’m so young because I don’t get pop culture references from like, the 80s and before. Okay, early 90s and earlier.). I do get confused on FaceBook sometimes because it just puts, “Keri has commented on *blankblankblank*.” It always stops me and I usually have to go look.

Anya: I can see where that would be confusing, WP! (BTW, anyone starts calling me an age-related nickname, and there will be hell to pay!)

Thanks very much for answering my nosy questions! I hope I’ll see you again soon!

Keri: Thanks for having me! I hope to come back to Lori Foster’s for 2011. I had so much fun up there! And thanks for inviting me here today!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome CHARLEY COLINS! (You can call her Keri, too!)

Contributor
KeriFord_CharleyColins
0 Kudos

Thank you for such a lovely welcome, Becke! 

We did that interview in...2010? Somewhere thereabouts. Lot of fun going back through my answers and seeing a lot of my thoughts and feelings are still the same.

Country Contemporary Romance as Keri Ford
Mystery Romance as Charley Colins
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome, Charley/Keri!

Loved the excerpt from your new mystery book! I'm sure I will enjoy reading about Ms. Olympia's adventures! (Hmmm-- don't know if most people would describe choosing between a gun and a taser in dealing with a housebreaking thief an adventure or not, but it sounds adventurous to ME!:catlol:)

Anyway, any friend of becke's, you know...

Have to say, you are extremely youthful looking in those photos... the first one, where you were posed in front of a tree, made me think you were about, oh, fourteen or so. Of course, having since scrolled down the titles of the books you've written gives me the clue that you probably are not quite that young--but believe me, one day you will be glad to look younger than your chronological age, if not now.

I was interested to read that you're from Arkansas. What part are you from? I have cousins who live in DeValll's Bluff, which is sort of in the central area. It's a beautiful state!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Charley, welcome to the Mystery Forum this week. I don't read romance but I am interested in your mystery. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for being here!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
KeriFord_CharleyColins
0 Kudos

Hi Fricka! Thank you so much! I'm 29 now. In the yellow picture I was about 27...? I think? Time gets away from me. :smileyhappy: When I was 18 and was taken for 13 it wasn't so awesome, but I'm enjoying my genes now.

I'm in south central Arkansas in El Dorado. Arkansas is a lovely state. A lot of a different environments all in one place.

I thought Lexie deciding between the gun and the Taser was very adventurous. She kind of thought him as a stray dog on her lawn at first, but how awesome would that be to take down a stranger in your home in the middle of the night? Me? I’d probably hide in my closet and focus on not wetting my pants. 

Contributor
KeriFord_CharleyColins
0 Kudos

Thanks, Maxcat! I hope you enjoy it! I started writing mystery (with a strong, strong romance subplot) before I moved into straight romance. Going back to mystery (with only a romance elements this time) was a challenge and fun!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KeriFord_CharleyColins wrote:

Thank you for such a lovely welcome, Becke! 

We did that interview in...2010? Somewhere thereabouts. Lot of fun going back through my answers and seeing a lot of my thoughts and feelings are still the same.

How time flies - that was a fun interview! (Yes, Anya is my alter ego - one of them!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Welcome, Charley/Keri!

Loved the excerpt from your new mystery book! I'm sure I will enjoy reading about Ms. Olympia's adventures! (Hmmm-- don't know if most people would describe choosing between a gun and a taser in dealing with a housebreaking thief an adventure or not, but it sounds adventurous to ME!:catlol:)

Anyway, any friend of becke's, you know...

Have to say, you are extremely youthful looking in those photos... the first one, where you were posed in front of a tree, made me think you were about, oh, fourteen or so. Of course, having since scrolled down the titles of the books you've written gives me the clue that you probably are not quite that young--but believe me, one day you will be glad to look younger than your chronological age, if not now.

I was interested to read that you're from Arkansas. What part are you from? I have cousins who live in DeValll's Bluff, which is sort of in the central area. It's a beautiful state!

She's not quite THAT young but I agree - Keri is blessed with great genes!

I was born in Hot Springs, Arkansas but never lived there. I've learned more about Arkansas from Keri than from my personal experience!

Contributor
KeriFord_CharleyColins
0 Kudos

I thought I’d make a quick post about who Lexie Olympia is and how she came about.

I had been cover-to-cover reading Stephanie Plum at the time and I loved how each book I walked away remembering the characters and what they were doing in Jersey. I wanted to create a strong and memorable character like that.

But someone completely different from Plum. I wanted someone deadly and not afraid of weapons. I went straight for a contract killer—but not in a paranormal world or a military world where an assassin’s actions would be more acceptable.

I wanted secrets and power and smooth confidence set in today’s world. I spent some time thinking about what characters out there have these qualities. I ended up at Batman and Lara Croft. Lexie just really took off from there and became this very secretive and manipulative character.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Keri/Charley - What mystery authors do you like? I'm sure you're busy with writing these days, but have you read any recent mysteries you'd like to recommend?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I thought I’d make a quick post about who Lexie Olympia is and how she came about.

I had been cover-to-cover reading Stephanie Plum at the time and I loved how each book I walked away remembering the characters and what they were doing in Jersey. I wanted to create a strong and memorable character like that.

But someone completely different from Plum. I wanted someone deadly and not afraid of weapons. I went straight for a contract killer—but not in a paranormal world or a military world where an assassin’s actions would be more acceptable.

I wanted secrets and power and smooth confidence set in today’s world. I spent some time thinking about what characters out there have these qualities. I ended up at Batman and Lara Croft. Lexie just really took off from there and became this very secretive and manipulative character.

Batman and Lara Croft? I love this!!!!

Contributor
KeriFord_CharleyColins
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

Keri/Charley - What mystery authors do you like? I'm sure you're busy with writing these days, but have you read any recent mysteries you'd like to recommend?

(oh! I figured out how to quote...it's the little things...)

I've been under back-to-back deadlines since I sold my first book in 2010. Not a lot of time for reading. The most recent mystery book I read was late this summer. It was Darynda Jones's First Grave on the Right. I love a book that can take a twist on what you know and turn it around and I thought she did such a great job of creating a full-time grim reaper into a fun girl. 2nd and 3rd grave are already out and 4th grave releases this month. I'm horribly behind!

If anyone has any rec's for a books that take a twist on a character like that, I'd love to hear it!

A friend of mine attended a conference recently and she picked up several doubles of mystery books. She's sending me those now so I can't wait to discover some new books! I'm determined to have a deadline free holiday so I can read and bake!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

(oh! I figured out how to quote...it's the little things...)

I've been under back-to-back deadlines since I sold my first book in 2010. Not a lot of time for reading. The most recent mystery book I read was late this summer. It was Darynda Jones's First Grave on the Right. I love a book that can take a twist on what you know and turn it around and I thought she did such a great job of creating a full-time grim reaper into a fun girl. 2nd and 3rd grave are already out and 4th grave releases this month. I'm horribly behind!

If anyone has any rec's for a books that take a twist on a character like that, I'd love to hear it!

A friend of mine attended a conference recently and she picked up several doubles of mystery books. She's sending me those now so I can't wait to discover some new books! I'm determined to have a deadline free holiday so I can read and bake!

*bangs head on desk* Sorry I forgot to explain how to quote text here! I love Darynda Jones' books, too! If you're looking for recommendations, scroll through the featured authors and guest blogs here, or just check the "What Are You Reading Now?" thread for ideas.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson Series #1)  

Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson Series #2)  

Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson Series #3)  

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet  

Death and the Girl Next Door  

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Charley:

I enjoyed reading about you and your books. I've never read any of your romance books. I enjoy mysteries better so I will be checking out your Lexi series!

Thanks for visiting with us and come back again and let us know what you are up to!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor
KeriFord_CharleyColins
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Charley:

I enjoyed reading about you and your books. I've never read any of your romance books. I enjoy mysteries better so I will be checking out your Lexi series!

Thanks for visiting with us and come back again and let us know what you are up to!

Thanks eadie! I'm thrilled to be chatting with yall this week!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Keri - Do you have any book signings scheduled this fall?