Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

I'm very excited to be featured on the book club! Thanks so much for talking about my books. I have a lot of wonderul Someday Quilts readers out there and I'm hoping people will enjoy Missing Persons as much! Clare

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

I think it will be on Nook. At least I hope so, though it's completely out of my hands. If it isn't listed as being on Nook, please ask that it be included. Thanks! Clare

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

Fricka-

I know what you mean about the artistry of quilts. Even the simplest ones are beautiful, and certainly the Amish quilting is amazing and worth every penny (though, like you, it's way out of my budget. But a girl can dream.). I hope you like the books! Clare

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Clare - Thanks for joining us! Sorry for my absence - we had a huge storm and my power has been out for five hours. I've been going stir crazy!

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Clare and thank you for joining us.  I love the idea of a mystery series around quilts.  I'm a big admirer of the art, but have yet to try my hand at anything bigger than some pillows and placemats, but our youngest daughter does these great jean patchwork quilts.  Are you a quilter?  We're off to Colorado in a few days to visit her (and meet the newest grandson) and I'm taking her with me to the local B&N to get your books.  I think she will enjoy them as much as I will.  Hope you have a great time on your visit with us.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

ClareODonohue, Welcome to B & N. I hope you have a good time here.

I like the titles of your books. Do you pick your titles?

I must see about reading some of your books.

They look interesting.

So enjoy your visit.

ReadingPatti

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

I mostly choose the titles, though there is input from my editor, the marketing folks etc... so sometimes we go back and forth on titles until we find something we all like.

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

Hi Nancy-

Have fun in Colorado. Yes, I am a quilter. I made my first quilt when I graduated college, then sort of dropped it for a few years and took it back up. And I'm so glad I did. It's one of my favorite ways to de-stress. And the quilting community is very fun and supportive. It's great that your daughter is doing jean quilts. What an imaginative way to recycle. I'll bet they're cool looking. Clare  

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

Yikes! It's astounding how electricity dependent we are. Hope you are safe. Clare

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Clare - I love to hear authors' "call" stories. Would you tell us how you got word that you'd sold your first book?

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

I have a monster list of books to read too. And growing. I keep imagining that I will have all this down time when I can read and somehow catch up. Thanks for the support for writers - it is hard work, but it's also fun and I'm having a great time with each book.  

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

It's a story that makes as yet unpublished authors think that getting your book sold is easy so I want to start by saying that by the time I wrote my first novel I had been a professional writer for nearly 18 years, first in newspapers and then in TV. I wrote my first book, The Lover's Knot, starting in late 2006, and finished in the spring of 2007. I sent it around to some friends, got feedback and made changes to it. Then I did the usual sending out of pitch letters to agents I found on the internet etc... I also sent an email to all of my friends and asked if anyone knew a literary agent.

One of my friends had an acquaintance who was an agent, so through my friend I contacted this woman at a NY boutique agency and she agreed to read my manuscript. Within days she offered to represent me. She sent it out to publishers and we had some interest, especially from Plume, an imprint of Penguin. This was in the summer of 2007. My agent told me that it would be after Labor Day before I could expect to get an offer - and sure enough at 10am the day after Labor Day, Plume made an offer on the book. It was released exactly a year later.

One of the reasons I think my book sold so quickly was that I approached my agent with a marketing plan. I centered that first series around quilting, and I knew that world. I had friends who were well known in the quilting community, and I could approach an agent with a strategy for how to reach quilters. I think for writers looking for their first deal, it's important to think about your audience and what you could do to reach them. Make this a part of your pitch to agents. It will set you apart from the hundreds of other pitches.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ClareODonohue wrote:

It's a story that makes as yet unpublished authors think that getting your book sold is easy so I want to start by saying that by the time I wrote my first novel I had been a professional writer for nearly 18 years, first in newspapers and then in TV. I wrote my first book, The Lover's Knot, starting in late 2006, and finished in the spring of 2007. I sent it around to some friends, got feedback and made changes to it. Then I did the usual sending out of pitch letters to agents I found on the internet etc... I also sent an email to all of my friends and asked if anyone knew a literary agent.

One of my friends had an acquaintance who was an agent, so through my friend I contacted this woman at a NY boutique agency and she agreed to read my manuscript. Within days she offered to represent me. She sent it out to publishers and we had some interest, especially from Plume, an imprint of Penguin. This was in the summer of 2007. My agent told me that it would be after Labor Day before I could expect to get an offer - and sure enough at 10am the day after Labor Day, Plume made an offer on the book. It was released exactly a year later.

One of the reasons I think my book sold so quickly was that I approached my agent with a marketing plan. I centered that first series around quilting, and I knew that world. I had friends who were well known in the quilting community, and I could approach an agent with a strategy for how to reach quilters. I think for writers looking for their first deal, it's important to think about your audience and what you could do to reach them. Make this a part of your pitch to agents. It will set you apart from the hundreds of other pitches.

That's excellent advice, Clare - it certainly worked well for you. You made that sale incredibly fast! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Clare's publisher very kindly sent me an advance copy of MISSING PERSONS, which comes out at the end of the month. I'm really enjoying this book - I'm almost finished - and I have to say, I'd be very surprised if anyone can read the first few pages without becoming completely hooked!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Clare - What do you do when you Really Should Be Writing?

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

Hi Becke- Facebook is a big timewaster, along with downloading TV shows. Somehow if I'm at my computer, it feels like I'm kind of working. Somewhere in my brain is the person who worked in an office for years and feels the need to hide my timewasters from the boss. Only now I'm the boss, so I'm not sure who I'm trying to fool. I also quilt, but actually this really helps my writing. Sometimes when my brain is clogged up and I can't figure out what to do next, I quilt for a while and somehow the ideas start coming to me.

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm having author jitters as it gets closer to the May 31st release date. Last night I woke up and spent twenty minutes freaking out. I doubt Stephen King goes through this with his book releases, but I do.

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

I got very lucky. Plenty of really talented authors take much longer to publish, so I chalk it up to the years of writing and the marketing plan. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Clare and welcome to the mystery club, your novels look really good and I'm definitely going to check them out. It seems to me that there are quite a few crafting series out there right now, do you think that helps your novels gain exposure.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ClareODonohue wrote:

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm having author jitters as it gets closer to the May 31st release date. Last night I woke up and spent twenty minutes freaking out. I doubt Stephen King goes through this with his book releases, but I do.

Come back on the 31st and we'll help you celebrate!