Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

 

Clare - Awhile back I asked friends who attended the Reader Appreciation Day at the West Chester, Ohio Barnes & Noble to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors. This is what they came up with:

 

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

 

2) Do you have a favorite of your own books?

 

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

 

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

 

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

 

Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

I think that all mysteries help each other - because no writer can keep up with the pace of the average mystery reader, if one author can hook someone on mysteries then we all benefit. I do enjoy reading craft mysteries because it's fun to see a hobby I enjoy featured in a book. By the success of so many books, I have to think a lot of people feel the same way.

 

Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

Wow! Great questions.

1- I "see" my books while I write, so I guess I would have to say sight.

2- My favorite book is always the one I'm currently working on, because I need to be most in love with it to keep working on it.

3- I am sorry to say I haven't seen Castle yet. I know I should, I've heard lots of wonderful things.

4- I do watch mystery shows -everything from Murder She Wrote to Monk. I'm a big fan of Justified, which isn't a mystery but is based on books by Elmore Leonard.

5 - I have no idea on casting! It's been suggested to me by some friends that Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Garner would make a good Kate Conway should Missing Persons ever be a film - and I'd be happy with either.  

Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

I WILL!! Thanks!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!


ClareODonohue wrote:

Wow! Great questions.

1- I "see" my books while I write, so I guess I would have to say sight.

2- My favorite book is always the one I'm currently working on, because I need to be most in love with it to keep working on it.

3- I am sorry to say I haven't seen Castle yet. I know I should, I've heard lots of wonderful things.

4- I do watch mystery shows -everything from Murder She Wrote to Monk. I'm a big fan of Justified, which isn't a mystery but is based on books by Elmore Leonard.

5 - I have no idea on casting! It's been suggested to me by some friends that Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Garner would make a good Kate Conway should Missing Persons ever be a film - and I'd be happy with either.  


Try to catch an episode of Castle (even though it's really over the top) - the woman who plays the lead detective would be a cool Kate Conway!

Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

I will. So many people I know love that show.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

Clare - What's next for you? Do you plan to continue both series now?

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

I have #4 in the Someday series, The Devil's Puzzle, coming out Sept. 27th so at the moment I hope to continue both. It will, of course, depend on the audience interest in my continuing them. I still work as a TV producer so sometimes it's a bit of a juggle but I love writing these characters so I hope that I can keep doing it. 

Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

Becke-

What a lovely way to start the day! Good morning to you.

Clare

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!


ClareODonohue wrote:

I have #4 in the Someday series, The Devil's Puzzle, coming out Sept. 27th so at the moment I hope to continue both. It will, of course, depend on the audience interest in my continuing them. I still work as a TV producer so sometimes it's a bit of a juggle but I love writing these characters so I hope that I can keep doing it. 


Are you working on another quilt book right now? Or are you taking a break until The Devil's Puzzle comes out?

Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

I'm actually working on the sequel to Missing Persons, which at the moment is called Life Without Parole. And then I think I will take a break for a bit, just to catch my breath and give my imagination a rest. Then it will be time to talk about what's next. Of course, it's not just my decision. My publisher looks at sales figures and what they want to publish so once I'm rested and ready we'll chat about the next book.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!


ClareODonohue wrote:

I'm actually working on the sequel to Missing Persons, which at the moment is called Life Without Parole. And then I think I will take a break for a bit, just to catch my breath and give my imagination a rest. Then it will be time to talk about what's next. Of course, it's not just my decision. My publisher looks at sales figures and what they want to publish so once I'm rested and ready we'll chat about the next book.


I'll have to preorder the next book so I don't forget. I love your voice!

Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

 Eadie- I'm so glad you're enjoying the books. I have a bit of a crush on Jesse (as does Nell - so I guess we'll have to fight over him). I really enjoy writing about these two people who are different, but also respect and like each other. I hope you like where I take them. Clare

Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

Thanks Becke. Missing Persons is a bit different in tone and mood to my Someday Books, but it's still me -- and I'm hoping people will be open to something a bit edgier. Let me know what you think! Clare 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!


ClareODonohue wrote:

 Eadie- I'm so glad you're enjoying the books. I have a bit of a crush on Jesse (as does Nell - so I guess we'll have to fight over him). I really enjoy writing about these two people who are different, but also respect and like each other. I hope you like where I take them. Clare



 

Ok, we can share Jesse! Since you're his creator, you are in charge of his destiny. Well, maybe not, since most of the authors agree that their characters certainly seem to have minds of their own and often go off into different directions than the author expected.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
ClareODonohue
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

They all have minds of their own. Quite annoying sometimes.

 

In Missing Persons there is a character that all my women friends want to sleep with (and he's a murder suspect!) and the men I know who have read the book have suggested that they guy is clearly 1) bad in bed and 2) a pyschopath - neither of which I say in the book, or would ever say about him. They don't like him because I describe the character as really good-looking, helpful, and quite rich. No man wants to compete with that even if the competition is fictional. Crazy!

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎02-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

Welcome Claire

 

So as a "Chicagoan" - Cubs or Sox?  Cubs-keeps the dreaming alive

Best Pizza? - Lou Malnatti's - the Lou (all veggie deep dish)

What do you put on a hot dog?  ketchup, mustard, or both

 

Interesting blog and will be adding to the evergowing TBR pile. 

 

Good luck

 

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!


leisure_reader wrote:

Welcome Claire

 

So as a "Chicagoan" - Cubs or Sox?  Cubs-keeps the dreaming alive

Best Pizza? - Lou Malnatti's - the Lou (all veggie deep dish)

What do you put on a hot dog?  ketchup, mustard, or both

 

Interesting blog and will be adding to the evergowing TBR pile. 

 

Good luck

 

J


You know, I'm a native Chicagoan, too (even though I've been in Cincinnati a long time) - you're making me homesick! Best pizza for me is Rosati's!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

Clare - Thanks so much for spending the week with us! Come back anytime and share your updates: new releases, B&N book signings, etc. We'd love to visit with you again!