Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

This week's featured guest is an author I've recently discovered: CLARE O'DONOHUE. I think you will enjoy her books!

Clare's Website is here: http://clareodonohue.com/

She's on Facebook here: 

https://www.facebook.com/people/Clare-ODonohue/100000125914840

CLARE O’DONOHUE is a freelance television writer/producer. She produced television’s most popular quilting show, Simply Quilts, on HGTV, and she is currently producing and writing for a variety of television crime shows, including Forensic Files.

Author, Clare O'Donohue

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author CLARE O'DONOHUE!

[ Edited ]

ABOUT CLARE

I was born in Chicago, Illinois, the youngest of four children. My parents are both from Ireland, but they met in London, moved to the US, and settled on Chicago’s South Side, where I was born and raised.

I always knew I wanted to be a writer and in fact wrote my first novel (mini-novel actually. It was 60 pages) when I was 15. It was a mystery. After college I worked as a newspaper reporter and writing teacher before moving to LA and getting my first job in television. That was on the HGTV show, Simply Quilts.

I worked on the show for four seasons, eventually becoming the Supervising Producer, but I’ve written and produced for a lot of other shows as well. In the last twelve years, I’ve worked on shows for The History Channel, truTV, Food Network, A&E, Discovery, TLC, and others. My work has taken me all across the US and abroad and I’ve met a diverse group of people – from CEO’s to prison inmates, Malaysian orphans to famous athletes.

But all along I thought about writing a novel. I still loved mysteries so I finally sat down to write one. And lucky for me, I had the time. There’s a lot of what we in the freelance world like to call downtime, but is more commonly known as unemployment. Since I wasn’t earning any money, I also had motivation to write something that could catch the interest of a publisher.

And, luckily, I did. In 2008 I published The Lover’s Knot, the first in the Someday Quilts series. Now I’ve addedA Drunkard’s Path and The Double Cross. And in the fall of 2011, The Devil’s Puzzle.

With the release of Missing Persons, I’m launching a new, edgier mystery series; one that gives an inside look at the world of television. It deals with murder, friendship, and love, just like Someday Quilts, but from a very different viewpoint.

It’s been an amazing few years and hopefully it’s just the beginning. Thanks for being a part of it.

Clare

Clare O'Donohue

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thursday, June 16 & Friday, June 17th

Minnesota Quilt Show, St. Paul MN

Craftman’s Touch Booth (#533-#535)

www.mnquilt.org

Saturday, June 18th at 1pm

Southeast Wisconsin Festival of Books, Milwaukee, WI

Panel with Libby Fischer Hellman, Michael Harvey & Kevin Guilfoile

www.sewibookfest.com

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Devil's Puzzle  

Available September 27th.

It’s a cold case and a case of cold feet, as Nell Fitzgerald calls on the Someday Quilts ladies to help solve a case that is quite literally in her own backyard.

Archers Rest is getting ready for their 350th anniversary, with everyone pressed into service to prepare for the big day. Nell is put in charge of a quilt show and feels completely in over her head. But it soon turns out to be the least of her worries, when human remains are found in Nell’s grandmother’s garden. A menacing wave of shattered windows, defaced graves, and threats to prominent citizens soon follows, and fears fly that the town’s bygone history of witchcraft has been reawakened. Shockingly, Nell’s grandmother becomes the prime suspect and the ladies must solve the mystery and clear her good name—even if it means putting Nell’s own life in danger.

It’s a cold case and a case of cold feet, as Nell Fitzgerald calls on the Someday Quilts ladies to help solve a case that is quite literally in her own backyard.

Available September 27th.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Double Cross (Someday Quilts Series #3)  

Clare O'Donohue is a freelance television writer and producer. She has worked for a variety of documentary and informational shows including "Simply Quilts" on HGTV. She lives in Illinois.

Synopsis

A knotty new Nell Fitzgerald mystery in the series that's beguiling cozy fans and quilters alike. 

Nell Fitzgerald and the Someday Quilts ladies are asked to lead a quilting workshop at a new bed and breakfast in upstate New York. However, the retreat quickly takes an unexpected dark turn. When a body is found in the woods, and one of their own is the chief suspect, the ladies must rely on their craftiest thinking as they embark on their most personal case yet. 

With smart, sassy Nell leading the charge to clear her friend's name and find the real murderer, The Double Cross is sure to confirm Clare O'Donohue as a master of the mystery genre.

Publishers Weekly

Quilt instructor Susanne Hendrick leaves Archers Rest, N.Y., for the Adirondack town of Winston to teach at the Patchwork Bed-and-Breakfast in O'Donohue's busy third Someday Quilts mystery (after 2009's A Drunkard's Path). Accompanying Susanne is crafty sleuth Nell Fitzgerald; Nell's quilt-shop owner grandmother, Eleanor Cassidy; Nell's trusty dog, Barney; and Bernadette "Bernie" Avallone, the onetime high school sweetheart of Patchwork's owner, George Olnhausen. Bernie has never forgiven George's wife, Rita, once her best friend, for marrying George. When George is found shot dead, covered by Bernie's "double cross" quilt, she becomes the prime suspect. Nell is relieved when her boyfriend, Archers Rest's police chief Jesse Dewalt, helps Winston police chief Jim McIntyre investigate. Barney sniffs out another corpse in the woods, adding more fun to a puzzler somewhat marred by an unconvincing subplot involving twins taking Susanne's quilting class. 6-city author tour. (Sept.)

More Reviews and Recommendations

Biography

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Missing Persons (Kate Conway Series #1)  

Synopsis

The debut of an exciting new mystery series featuring a cynical, crafty television producer turned amateur sleuth.

The cause of death is "undetermined," but the cops peg Chicago television producer Kate Conway as the main suspect when her soon-to-be ex-husband, Frank, is found dead. To make matters worse-and weirder- Frank's new girlfriend suddenly wants to be friends.

Happy for the distraction, Kate throws herself into a new work assignment for the television program Missing Persons: the story of Theresa Moretti, a seemingly angelic young woman who disappeared a year earlier. All Kate wants is a cliché story and twenty-two minutes of footage, but when the two cases appear to overlap, Kate needs to work fast before another body turns up-her own.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please give Clare O'Donohue a rousing welcome!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Clare:

I just finished your first book, THE LOVER'S KNOT, and absolutely loved it! I started it this afternoon and never put it down until I finished it! The words just flowed and I had to find out who murdered Marc. I loved all the characters and especially Nell and Jesse. I can't wait to read the 2nd book, A DRUNKARD'S PATH, to see if anything develops between Nell and Jesse!

Hope you enjoy your visit with us and keep on writing!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Welcome Clare! I will admit that I haven't read any of your books. They look interesting so I will add them to my monster list of books I want to read. I admire people who have the creativity and ability to write. It must be amazingly hard but so rewarding.

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Hi Clare. Welcome.  I have Missing Persons on my TBR list.  I am hoping it will be available for the Nook soon. Any chance?  I definitely will be reading it, one way or another.  The Quilt series looks like something I need to look into.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

A new writer to B&N! Welcome, Clare. I have seen your someday quilts series and now I will buy them. Thanks for beeing here this week.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Oooh, I think I watched that HGTV show, "Simply Quilts"! 

Although I'm not a quilter myself, I admire the artwork involved in quilting. One of my best friends and I used to shop in the historic distric of Glendale(AZ) where there was a shop that featured quilts from Amish women. The quilts were too expensive for me to even think about buying, so I used to just look at them and drool. I also was able to attend an exhibit at the Sharlot Hall Museum in Prescott, Arizona, some years back, which featured quilts from the Guild that is still active there. In fact, at the gift shop there, I've been lucky enough to spot some of the women actually at work on a quilt.

I think the first mystery book I read that featured quilting was an Imogen Quy mystery by Jill Paton Walsh. The whole plot had to do with a quilt having mathematical codes built into it, which a prominent mathematician(male) had stolen from another mathematician(female).

Earlene Fowler and Jennifer Chiaverini are two other authors that I know of who feature quilting into their plot lines.

So, Clare, welcome to our mystery forum here. I must say the covers of your books look very intriguing, and I'm adding your books to my TBR file.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

seasanddollar wrote:

Hi Clare. Welcome.  I have Missing Persons on my TBR list.  I am hoping it will be available for the Nook soon. Any chance?  I definitely will be reading it, one way or another.  The Quilt series looks like something I need to look into.

Missing Persons  

Sorry, I think I only posted the book links. It's already out on Nook, too!

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

seasanddollar wrote:

Missing Persons  

Sorry, I think I only posted the book links. It's already out on Nook, too!

Thank you .I thought sure I had checked and it said not available on Nook. I've been adding so many I guess I got confused! I'll check it out with the sample now!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Well, am I a fast worker, or what??? I just returned from the library, and I now have a copy of The Lover's Quilt to read. I had just finished checking to see if Clare's books were on the library database, and found that several of them were. Since we are limited to three requests at a time, and I was full up, I thought I would pick-up one of my request books that had come in and then come home and request one of Clare's books. However, I decided while at the library to check the Mystery section just to see if one of Clare's books might be on the shelves. I really didn't have very high expectations of finding one, but there it was! Whoooopeeee!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Ooops, sorry--that title is The Lover's Knot, not The Lover's Quilt. I got too exited about getting the book, I guess.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Ooops, sorry--that title is The Lover's Knot, not The Lover's Quilt. I got too exited about getting the book, I guess.

LOL - it's an easy mistake to make!

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

Thanks Eadie! I hope you enjoy the other books in the Someday series, and on May 31st I launch a new series, with the release of Missing Persons. I hope you'll check it out. Clare 

Author
ClareODonohue
0 Kudos

Fricka - I hope you like it! Let me know what you think. Clare