Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author DEE J. ADAMS!

Thanks Becke!

Did I get it right?

I wish I was more technically savvy. I'm still learning. LOL. Thanks for the tips!

becke_davis wrote:

Dee - I'm not sure I mentioned that I ask a lot of questions here because a lot more people will be reading this thread than commenting on it. Since this is a forum rather than a book club, a lot of readers follow these visits to learn about the authors and their books. It helps them make book buying decisions, so it's a win/win!

Also, after you click "Reply" (the green icon on the lower right seems to work best) and the new comment box opens, you will see the word "Quote" (white writing in a black box) upper right. Click that to add the comment you are responding to.

Hope this helps!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LynneMarshall wrote:

Oh, my gosh, I'd forgotten about that fabulous picture I got to be a part of.  Meeting Suz Brockmann was a dream and it happened at a Barnes & Noble.  Such fun memories.

OK - I love the excerpt - always did.

Wishing you all the best with this wonderful book.  I've read it folks, it is fantastic!  And you're right Becke - trilogies are always enjoyable - and since I've had the privilege to have read #3 (I'm a critique partner of Dee's) I already know how much everyone will love it too.

Danger Zone has been getting fab reviews - deservedly.

:heart:

I'm also a HUGE Suz Brockmann fan - I've read everything she's written. Love, love, love the way she writes! She's going on a book tour in March, and I'll be seeing her late in the month when she's in Ohio. I can hardly wait!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

Thanks Becke!

Did I get it right?

I wish I was more technically savvy. I'm still learning. LOL. Thanks for the tips!

becke_davis wrote:

Dee - I'm not sure I mentioned that I ask a lot of questions here because a lot more people will be reading this thread than commenting on it. Since this is a forum rather than a book club, a lot of readers follow these visits to learn about the authors and their books. It helps them make book buying decisions, so it's a win/win!

Also, after you click "Reply" (the green icon on the lower right seems to work best) and the new comment box opens, you will see the word "Quote" (white writing in a black box) upper right. Click that to add the comment you are responding to.

Hope this helps!

There's not really a right or wrong way, but I don't always remember to explain the "quote" function to our guests here!

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Thanks Lynne! 

Lynne and I have been critique partners for years. She's an amazing author and her new book Courting His Favorite Nurse is also getting amazing reviews! We are both big fans of Suz. And I am hugely lucky that Suz is making Danger Zone (and me!) part of her countdown to Born to Darkness, the first book in her new Fighting Destiny series. So many good books to read!!

Becke, you're going to have a great time in Ohio meeting Suz. She's awesome!

becke_davis wrote:

LynneMarshall wrote:

Oh, my gosh, I'd forgotten about that fabulous picture I got to be a part of.  Meeting Suz Brockmann was a dream and it happened at a Barnes & Noble.  Such fun memories.

Wishing you all the best with this wonderful book.  I've read it folks, it is fantastic!  And you're right Becke - trilogies are always enjoyable - and since I've had the privilege to have read #3 (I'm a critique partner of Dee's) I already know how much everyone will love it too.

I'm also a HUGE Suz Brockmann fan - I've read everything she's written. Love, love, love the way she writes! She's going on a book tour in March, and I'll be seeing her late in the month when she's in Ohio. I can hardly wait!

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

To answer Becke's question below, I'm actually working on another book -potentially- for the Adrenaline Highs series. I'm about 3/4 of the way done. It's still hush-hush so I can't say too much about it. <G>

becke_davis wrote:

Dee_J wrote:

The third book in the series is called Dangerously Close. I think anyone who reads Danger Zone will want to know what happens to Ashley and DC answers that question. After everything that poor girl went through in Danger Zone I felt she needed her own happily ever after! And the villian in that book... holy cow...scared me just to write it. <G>

I like trilogies, and I think a lot of others do, too. You get to know the characters and their world, and by the end of the series you know you're going to miss them!

What's up next for you?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

Thanks Lynne! 

Lynne and I have been critique partners for years. She's an amazing author and her new book Courting His Favorite Nurse is also getting amazing reviews! We are both big fans of Suz. And I am hugely lucky that Suz is making Danger Zone (and me!) part of her countdown to Born to Darkness, the first book in her new Fighting Destiny series. So many good books to read!!

Becke, you're going to have a great time in Ohio meeting Suz. She's awesome!

becke_davis wrote:

LynneMarshall wrote:

Dee - That is sooooo exciting that Suz is giving you her support! Isn't she amazing? I've read Born to Darkness - she is really in top form with this new series!

Born to Darkness  

Here's a link to Lynne's book, while we're at it!

Courting His Favorite Nurse  

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Becke,

Yes, Born to Darkness is amazing! I loved Suz's Troubleshooter series, but I was NOT disappointed at all in BtoD. In fact, it may be her best book yet! I couldn't put it down. Love the cover! Thanks for posting both covers (of two of my favorite authors)! I'll be with Suz on Wednesday at her website and FB page! Looking forward to it. She interviewed me so there are a few secrets there.

becke_davis wrote:

LynneMarshall wrote:

Dee - That is sooooo exciting that Suz is giving you her support! Isn't she amazing? I've read Born to Darkness - she is really in top form with this new series!

Born to Darkness  

Here's a link to Lynne's book, while we're at it!

Courting His Favorite Nurse  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee - What were your favorite books when you were growing up? Did any particular books inspire you to become a writer?

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

I remember reading Judith McNaught. I nabbed it from my mom's night stand table after she finished with it. She caught me one day and said, "So you like that, huh?" I nodded and we both laughed. I don't even remember which one it was. When I discovered Kathleen Woodiwiss, I really fell hard for romance. I have every one of those ladies' books. Once I hit college, I didn't have time to read, but I rediscovered it once I began writing. Enter Suzanne Brockmann. <G> I became a writer completely by accident. Had never dreamed I could write or that people might want to read something I came up with. I'm glad I was wrong on both counts. <G>

becke_davis wrote:

Dee - What were your favorite books when you were growing up? Did any particular books inspire you to become a writer?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

I remember reading Judith McNaught. I nabbed it from my mom's night stand table after she finished with it. She caught me one day and said, "So you like that, huh?" I nodded and we both laughed. I don't even remember which one it was. When I discovered Kathleen Woodiwiss, I really fell hard for romance. I have every one of those ladies' books. Once I hit college, I didn't have time to read, but I rediscovered it once I began writing. Enter Suzanne Brockmann. <G> I became a writer completely by accident. Had never dreamed I could write or that people might want to read something I came up with. I'm glad I was wrong on both counts. <G>

becke_davis wrote:

I read Kathleen Woodiwiss years ago, too. I think Sandra Brown and Janet Dailey also brought be toward romance, but I LOVED Mary Stewart's romantic suspense the best!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee - Who are some of the authors you read today? 

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

I discovered Laura Wright and her Mark of the Vampire Series. She is an amazing author. I'm a huge Linda Howard fan... always have been and always will be. Like Suz, she's an auto buy for me. I also love Cherry Adair, Cindy Gerard and Tara Janzen to name a few more.

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:
I discovered Laura Wright and her Mark of the Vampire Series. She is an amazing author. I'm a huge Linda Howard fan... always have been and always will be. Like Suz, she's an auto buy for me. I also love Cherry Adair, Cindy Gerard and Tara Janzen to name a few more.

becke_davis wrote:

OOooooh, we share the same taste! I've read ALL of Linda Howard's and Tara Janzen's books, and a lot of Cherry Adair's and Cindy Gerard's, too. Fun!

New User
Ann_King
0 Kudos

Hi Dee J! I became a big fan after reading your first book, Dangerous Race, and you certainly have followed it up with another winner! LOVE Danger Zone! I'm also very exited to hear the book on Audible. The sample I just listened to on Amazon sounds soooo great - good job on narrating Dee J! Looking forward also to the third in the series, Dangerously Close! You are definitely an author I will follow as long as you are writing books:smileyhappy:
Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hi Ann!
Wow! Thank you so much. I really appreciate those kind words. I listened to the sample on Audible too. I get better. LOL. (At least I think I do... I certainly HOPE I do! <G>) I was a tad nervous that first day... but we all have to start somewhere. Anyway...I'm so glad you've enjoyed the books! That makes me smile! I will keep at it then in hopes that there are a few hundred thousand like minded people in the world. (Kidding. Kind of. Okay, not really. <G>)

Ann_King wrote:
Hi Dee J! I became a big fan after reading your first book, Dangerous Race, and you certainly have followed it up with another winner! LOVE Danger Zone! I'm also very exited to hear the book on Audible. The sample I just listened to on Amazon sounds soooo great - good job on narrating Dee J! Looking forward also to the third in the series, Dangerously Close! You are definitely an author I will follow as long as you are writing books:smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee - Awhile back, I asked fellow members of the Ohio Valley RWA to come with questions for my guests here. These were the questions they came up with:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What do you think about the show Castle? 

3b) Who do you prefer, Nathan Fillion, Vin Diesel or Gerard Butler? (Hey, these aren't MY questions!)

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Wow! These are tough questions! I'll do my best not to disappoint. (I'll put my answers right below the question. I think that's easiest...)

becke_davis wrote:

Dee - Awhile back, I asked fellow members of the Ohio Valley RWA to come with questions for my guests here. These were the questions they came up with:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

I try really hard to use all the senses so this one is a rough one. I'm going to go with a sense of touch. I want my characters aware of every touch because ultimately it's that connection that decides if there's chemistry.

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

I'm going way back here. I totally will be forever in love with A Rose In Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. If you haven't read that book... you need to. I can't even count how many times I've read it. And I'm going to cheat and add Shanna to the list, too. (Yes, I'm a cheater. <G>)

3) What do you think about the show Castle? 

Um... never seen it. Unfortunately, when I'm working, my writing time is at night. I had to give up television years ago. Every time I try to find a new series and make time for it at the beginning of a season, it ends up getting canceled. Grrr. I have yet to pick a winner so I've missed out on some long running shows.

3b) Who do you prefer, Nathan Fillion, Vin Diesel or Gerard Butler? (Hey, these aren't MY questions!)

George Clooney. Yes, I know. He wasn't one of my choices. <G> But he's adorable.

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

See question 3. Apparently I live in a cave. It's bad. Very bad. Although I do try and catch Hawaii Five-O when I can. (Is that considered a mystery TV show?)

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

Hm... There's a model, Jed HIll... He IS Quinn. He is exactly what I saw when I wrote Quinn. Look him up. Yummy. For Ellie, I kind of see Jennifer Anniston, just a little younger and blonder. Something about her face, just struck me as "Ellie."

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

I am -90% of the time- a plotter. I usually have to know where the book is going so I can write it. There was one instance where I started a book with a two people who had completely absolute OPPOSITE goals and those characters wrote that book from beginning to end. I was just the fingers at the keyboard getting it out as fast as I could. Took about 2 and a half months. It's one of my favorites. <G> It starts with a bang too. Literally.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome to our forum, Dee J!

I meant to write on here sooner, but we've been having a tune-up on our computer, and the guy just brought it back minutes ago.

Anyway, loved reading that excerpt. For some reason, now I can't get the song "Danger Zone" from a certain movie which featured Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer(hint, hint) out of my mind!

Dee J, do you get the ideas for the titles for your books before you write them, or do them come after you've written most of the book? Or does the editorial staff make that choice for you?

Also, your name is very evocative. Are you now, or have you ever been, an actual DJ/disc jockey????

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hi Fricka,

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the excerpt! Also glad your computer is tuned-up. Hopefully it's working like it's brand new.

Now I can't get that song out of MY mind either. LOL. Luckily I really like that song. <G>

As for the book titles... Dangerous Race actually had a fairly boring title for a long time. It always had the word "Race" in it, but nothing really stuck. I finally decided to spice it up so I added "Dangerous". Hence Dangerous Race. Once I had that, I really liked the idea of different variations on the word Danger. And they all work with each story, which I love. I wasn't sure if Carina Press would want to change the titles of any of the books, but happily they didn't. I think the title for the second book came as I was midway through my outline and realized what the book was about. Same with Dangerously Close. As soon as I figured out where I was going, the title came naturally. When you read the books, you'll see why.

Now my name... I would have liked to use just the initials D.J. since they are my actual initials, but in doing some research, I discovered an actual Disc Jockey who goes by the name of DJ Adams. And because I write "books" I discovered that if people wanted to find me on google and used any form of "DJ Adams" and "books" then the internet thought you wanted to "book DJ Adams for your party." LOL. So I had to switch things up a bit with Dee. (So, no, I was never a disc jockey, but I do love music. <G>)

Because there are quite a few Dees out there these days, I use the initial so people know it's me, Dee J.

Fricka wrote:

Welcome to our forum, Dee J!

I meant to write on here sooner, but we've been having a tune-up on our computer, and the guy just brought it back minutes ago.

Anyway, loved reading that excerpt. For some reason, now I can't get the song "Danger Zone" from a certain movie which featured Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer(hint, hint) out of my mind!

Dee J, do you get the ideas for the titles for your books before you write them, or do them come after you've written most of the book? Or does the editorial staff make that choice for you?

Also, your name is very evocative. Are you now, or have you ever been, an actual DJ/disc jockey????

New User
MariaPowers1
0 Kudos

SO EXCITED! I bought Danger Zone as soon as I remembered it released today. Loved Dangerous Race and it's the first Romantic Suspense that I've read in years. I used to read them all of the time and then they just weren't doing it for me, but Dangerous Race reminded me why I loved 'em to begin with. Congratulations on release day. No question right now, but I wanted to let you know that I am dancing with glee that the Danger Zone is on my Nook and just waiting for me to find the time to read it.

Maria