Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author DEE J. ADAMS!

Welcome Dee J! Is there anything you picked up from acting that you use in writing?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hi Maria!
Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed Dangerous Race! And huge thanks for picking up Danger Zone (on its release day no less!)! Makes me break out into happy dancing! Thank you for stopping by. You've put a smile on this gal's face already this morning. Yay again!

MariaPowers1 wrote:

SO EXCITED! I bought Danger Zone as soon as I remembered it released today. Loved Dangerous Race and it's the first Romantic Suspense that I've read in years. I used to read them all of the time and then they just weren't doing it for me, but Dangerous Race reminded me why I loved 'em to begin with. Congratulations on release day. No question right now, but I wanted to let you know that I am dancing with glee that the Danger Zone is on my Nook and just waiting for me to find the time to read it.

Maria

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hi GS,
Great question! One of the main things I learned as an actor is trying to make someone else's words real to me. I hope that makes sense... Sometimes, as a writer, you say something and it makes perfect sense in your head, but when it comes time to actually SAY those words, strange things can happen. <G> I'd like to think that my dialogue is realistic because I've been in those positions where I was forced to say things completely unnatural to me. I've learned to read all my books aloud to make sure the words are natural to my characters. Dialogue would have to be first on my list. Next is body launguage. We show our feelings so much through the things we do with our body. It's important to show those actions to help us see what the characters are feeling. Hope that answers your question!

GS2991 wrote:
Welcome Dee J! Is there anything you picked up from acting that you use in writing?

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Dee. I loved the excerpt from your book. It's interesting how you can combine mystery with romance. Have a wonderful week here at the mystery forum.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks! Haha yeah I see what you mean. Sometimes that idea or image in your mind sound great untill it hits paper. Then it just sounds totally off. What are things you do to help spark your writing? I write too and I been working on poems. I've found this can help with short storys. Making each word have more impact.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hi Maxcat,
Thank you! I'm having a great time so far! The questions have been terrific! Romance and mystery are my favorite things so combining them seems natural. Thanks for stopping by!

maxcat wrote:

Hi, Dee. I loved the excerpt from your book. It's interesting how you can combine mystery with romance. Have a wonderful week here at the mystery forum.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hi GS,

Things to spark my writing... hm... I usually come up with a scenario or incident... the old "What if?" and go from there. The better the conflict, the easier it is to write. A good conflict will almost write itself if the characters are developed enough and know what they want, why they want it and try their hardest to achieve it. Pretty much... a good idea sparks my writing. It's a matter of figuring out what that inciting incident is. What happens to whom so that we get a great story out of it?

Congrats on your writing! I started out song writing when I was tiny. I think songs are poetry to music. It all counts. Writing is writing no matter the length. It's getting our ideas/dreams on paper and ultimately - or not - sharing them with the universe on some level.

GS2991 wrote:
Thanks! Haha yeah I see what you mean. Sometimes that idea or image in your mind sound great untill it hits paper. Then it just sounds totally off. What are things you do to help spark your writing? I write too and I been working on poems. I've found this can help with short storys. Making each word have more impact.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thank you!! Writing for me is my escape. My vacation into other worlds. What about you?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:
Wow! These are tough questions! I'll do my best not to disappoint. (I'll put my answers right below the question. I think that's easiest...)

becke_davis wrote:

Dee - Awhile back, I asked fellow members of the Ohio Valley RWA to come with questions for my guests here. These were the questions they came up with:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

I try really hard to use all the senses so this one is a rough one. I'm going to go with a sense of touch. I want my characters aware of every touch because ultimately it's that connection that decides if there's chemistry.

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

I'm going way back here. I totally will be forever in love with A Rose In Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. If you haven't read that book... you need to. I can't even count how many times I've read it. And I'm going to cheat and add Shanna to the list, too. (Yes, I'm a cheater. <G>)

I think both of those are still in my "keeper" bookcase.

3) What do you think about the show Castle? 

Um... never seen it. Unfortunately, when I'm working, my writing time is at night. I had to give up television years ago. Every time I try to find a new series and make time for it at the beginning of a season, it ends up getting canceled. Grrr. I have yet to pick a winner so I've missed out on some long running shows.

The only show I watch regularly these days is NCIS. I like it because every episode is self-contained, with characters who continue throughout all the episodes. I avoid shows that have a continuing story, like soap operas.

3b) Who do you prefer, Nathan Fillion, Vin Diesel or Gerard Butler? (Hey, these aren't MY questions!)

George Clooney. Yes, I know. He wasn't one of my choices. <G> But he's adorable.

LOL! 

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

See question 3. Apparently I live in a cave. It's bad. Very bad. Although I do try and catch Hawaii Five-O when I can. (Is that considered a mystery TV show?)

I think it counts as suspense/thriller - close enough!

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

Hm... There's a model, Jed HIll... He IS Quinn. He is exactly what I saw when I wrote Quinn. Look him up. Yummy. For Ellie, I kind of see Jennifer Anniston, just a little younger and blonder. Something about her face, just struck me as "Ellie."

Ay caramba - this is Jed Hill:

Hey, I recognize that image!

The Perfect Play  

This is him, too:

Breaking Point (I-Team Series #5)  

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

I am -90% of the time- a plotter. I usually have to know where the book is going so I can write it. There was one instance where I started a book with a two people who had completely absolute OPPOSITE goals and those characters wrote that book from beginning to end. I was just the fingers at the keyboard getting it out as fast as I could. Took about 2 and a half months. It's one of my favorites. <G> It starts with a bang too. Literally.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

I think writing is - or can be - definitely an escape. Although I'm sure that's not true for everyone. It all depends on what you write! For me, it's a place where I can do and say things through other people that I don't or can't in real life. It's all pretend. I figure life is tough enough so if I can create a fictional world that's full of love and excitement (and love - did I mention love?) then it's good entertainment for the soul. If nothing else... it's a little bit of mind candy.

GS2991 wrote:
Thank you!! Writing for me is my escape. My vacation into other worlds. What about you?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Do you ever try different genres? I like to write different stuff time to time. But I favor fantasy.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Funny you should ask... I did write a young adult novel a year ago and pitched it recently. Since my teenage daughter can't yet read my books I thought I'd write something she COULD read. And since I've done a lot of work in kids' television, I'm hoping I have an idea what kids/teens might be interested in. I guess we'll find out. <G> I have a whole series planned for that as well. (Anyone who would like to cross fingers, toes, legs and any other remaining digits, feel free to do so. LOL.)

GS2991 wrote:
Do you ever try different genres? I like to write different stuff time to time. But I favor fantasy.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Haha. You ever use experience from your life for ideas in your writing? I always add little tibits of me into my storys. Kinda my signature.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Becke,

I just now realized that you commented on my answers to those great questions and I feel the need to comment on your comments. <G>

I actually never saw Jed until I finished writing Quinn and I had no idea he was a romance cover model. Goes to prove that I do REALLY live in a cave. Jeez.

And, yes, I know I cheated when I named George, but he is my favorite person and happens to be someone I've worked with and know. It's hard for me to comment on the other three when I've barely seen them. (That goes back to that cave thing I was telling you about. <G>)

Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. <sigh> It doesn't get much better than that when you talk about historical romance.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Absolutely! In Danger Zone - for instance - my heroine, Ellie had an accident on set that broke her nose. <raises hand> Hello. That happened to me. We were right in the middle of shooting a pilot and half the audience saw me get slammed in the face. That ended my night pretty quickly. LOL. (Cut to me walking to the ER across the street from the studio and waiting 4 hours for the Dr. to tell me my nose was broken. Which, BTW, was very easy to see by looking at my FACE. <G>) All my characters have parts of me in them. Even the men.

GS2991 wrote:
Haha. You ever use experience from your life for ideas in your writing? I always add tibits of me into my storys. Kinda my signature.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Ouch!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

Absolutely! In Danger Zone - for instance - my heroine, Ellie had an accident on set that broke her nose. <raises hand> Hello. That happened to me. We were right in the middle of shooting a pilot and half the audience saw me get slammed in the face. That ended my night pretty quickly. LOL. (Cut to me walking to the ER across the street from the studio and waiting 4 hours for the Dr. to tell me my nose was broken. Which, BTW, was very easy to see by looking at my FACE. <G>) All my characters have parts of me in them. Even the men.

GS2991 wrote:
Haha. You ever use experience from your life for ideas in your writing? I always add tibits of me into my storys. Kinda my signature.

Oh no - ouch is right!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

Funny you should ask... I did write a young adult novel a year ago and pitched it recently. Since my teenage daughter can't yet read my books I thought I'd write something she COULD read. And since I've done a lot of work in kids' television, I'm hoping I have an idea what kids/teens might be interested in. I guess we'll find out. <G> I have a whole series planned for that as well. (Anyone who would like to cross fingers, toes, legs and any other remaining digits, feel free to do so. LOL.)

GS2991 wrote:

Keep us posted on this!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

Becke,

I just now realized that you commented on my answers to those great questions and I feel the need to comment on your comments. <G>

I actually never saw Jed until I finished writing Quinn and I had no idea he was a romance cover model. Goes to prove that I do REALLY live in a cave. Jeez.

And, yes, I know I cheated when I named George, but he is my favorite person and happens to be someone I've worked with and know. It's hard for me to comment on the other three when I've barely seen them. (That goes back to that cave thing I was telling you about. <G>)

Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. <sigh> It doesn't get much better than that when you talk about historical romance.

Well, my critique partner thinks NO ONE can top Gerard Butler, but he does nothing for me. Another friend is all about Vin Diesel, and several friends love Nathan Fillion. My personal fave is Joe Manganiello  - Alcide from True Blood.