Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author DEE J. ADAMS!

I'm sure if I watched more television or movies that I'd have more of an opinion. Of course there's the fact that I hear gossip on some of these guys which instantly skews my thinking on them. It doesn't matter how gorgeous someone is... if I hear something that puts them in a less than stellar light, I tend to remember that and it dims the attraction. Whereas, with George (as an example), he is someone I know to be inteligent, funny and sincere. Um... and gorgeous. Because I know that about him, he becomes that much more attractive. It all comes down to the fact that I need to get out of my cave and see what is out there! LOL.

becke_davis wrote:

Dee_J wrote:

Becke,

I just now realized that you commented on my answers to those great questions and I feel the need to comment on your comments. <G>

I actually never saw Jed until I finished writing Quinn and I had no idea he was a romance cover model. Goes to prove that I do REALLY live in a cave. Jeez.

And, yes, I know I cheated when I named George, but he is my favorite person and happens to be someone I've worked with and know. It's hard for me to comment on the other three when I've barely seen them. (That goes back to that cave thing I was telling you about. <G>)

Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. <sigh> It doesn't get much better than that when you talk about historical romance.

Well, my critique partner thinks NO ONE can top Gerard Butler, but he does nothing for me. Another friend is all about Vin Diesel, and several friends love Nathan Fillion. My personal fave is Joe Manganiello  - Alcide from True Blood.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Dee J, I am picky about when or where I write. I have to be comfortable. In my bean bag and late at night when its quiet. Or take off in the woods and find a tree to lean against. The cridders after time have to peek at the weird two leger invading their room. Haha. You?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Yes, it hurt, but I was so nervous about how many people were actually witnessing me bleed like a faucet that I wasn't paying much attention until later...like when my nose swelled up to balloon proportions. <G>

And Becke, I will definitely keep you posted on the YA. :smileyhappy:

GS2991 wrote:
Ouch!

Author
NJDamschroder
0 Kudos

Thanks, Fricka, that song obligingly remained in the background until you mentioned it. Now it's flooding my mind! LOL

Hi, Dee! I have Danger Zone, but I was waiting to read it, of course, until I bought Dangerous Race. Which I just did, because I thought WTH, discipline shouldn't apply to buying books. LOL

While I have no interest in watching racing as a "sport," I do admire the skill of the drivers and consider them athletes. And I love books that (accurately!) delve into the world of professional sports. Is racing something you're familiar with? What kind of research did you do for this series? Did you get to ride or drive fast? :smileyhappy:

~~~~~
Natalie J. Damschroder
Author of High-Stakes Romantic Adventure and Paranormal Romance
Love with a Shot of Adrenaline
Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Depending on where I am in the writing process, it doesn't matter what's happening around me. I can go to Starbucks and write a thousand words in an hour or I can do it in the house when it's quiet. (Either at my desk or the sofa in the den.) If I'm at a point where I'm not sure exactly where I'm going in the story, then I might need quiet to work it out. I can't listen to music when I write at home because it distracts me, but if it's background noise somewhre else it doesn't seem to bother me. Weird, right? I am not a morning person. Repeat NOT a morning person. I have to do my writing in the afternoon or night. I've always been a night owl and it seems to be when I'm most productive.
I'm sure those animals love watching you. <G> It's breaks up their day... gives them something to think about. LOL.

GS2991 wrote:
Hi Dee J, I am picky about when or where I write. I have to be comfortable. In my bean bag and late at night when its quiet. Or take off in the woods and find a tree to lean against. The cridders after time have to peek at the weird two leger invading their room. Haha. You?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hi Dee J, Ever base a character's personality off of yourself or someone you know?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hi Natalie!!
Thanks for coming by! And giant thanks for picking up both books! Yay! I hope you enjoy them!
I was never a race fan in any way, shape or form. My husband wanted to go to the Indy 500 because it's the biggest sporting event in the US, I believe, with the capacity for nearly half a million people. (That's a lot of people in one place for a sporting event!) We'd never seen anything like it and it was an amazing experience. There was only 1 female in the race that year and I got to wondering what it might be like for her being the only female driver on the track. My cousin lives in Indianapolis and had a connection to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He got me in touch with one of the teams racing that year. I ended up observing that team when they came out to the California Motor Speedway. Their chief engineer, Mike O'Gara let me shadow him (and the crew) for the day and he answered dozens and dozens of questions for me. I also interviewed a female driver (who asked not to be named). I wore a headset during the race that day and used some of the exact dialogue in the book that they used on the track.
I couldn't ride in one of these cars because they are open wheel race cars with only one seat. (People get my cars confused with NASCAR cars where someone could actually sit in the passenger seat.) Even if they'd have let me, I'd have been too scared to get behind the wheel of one anyway. They are intimidating with all the knobs and buttons on the dash. LOL.(Not to mention they cost a fortune and I doubt any old "Jo" (my middle name, btw) would be allowed to hop in and drive. <G>
I open the book with the track temperature at 117 degrees. I used that number because that's how hot it was the day I was there. Brutally hot. And the drivers are decked out in head to toe flame retardant bodysuits UNDER their racing suits. Imagine being in a car for 3 to 4 hours in that kind of heat. Then keep your hands on the wheel and continue making left turns while keeping the car on the track and fighting those G forces. This takes more athletic ability than most people realize. Yikes... did I talk long enough. LOL.

NJDamschroder wrote:

Thanks, Fricka, that song obligingly remained in the background until you mentioned it. Now it's flooding my mind! LOL

Hi, Dee! I have Danger Zone, but I was waiting to read it, of course, until I bought Dangerous Race. Which I just did, because I thought WTH, discipline shouldn't apply to buying books. LOL

While I have no interest in watching racing as a "sport," I do admire the skill of the drivers and consider them athletes. And I love books that (accurately!) delve into the world of professional sports. Is racing something you're familiar with? What kind of research did you do for this series? Did you get to ride or drive fast? :smileyhappy:

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Most of my characters have some part of me in them. (Even my villians. LOL. That's right... you don't want to meet me in a dark alley. Haha.) Other characters might have a characteristic of someone I know, but truly, the characters are all fictional.

GS2991 wrote:
Hi Dee J, Ever base a character's personality off of yourself or someone you know?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Dee J, Yeah haha I like to give then little bits but my characters have their own life. I see my characters in my mind. When I've got a story in my mind and I've draged my feet writing it, I see them with crossed arms and tapping feet. Do you have a character that is your favorite to write?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

NJDamschroder wrote:

Hi Natalie - Great to see you here!

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hm... my favorite character to write... That's a tough one. They are all my favorite when I'm writing them. Even when they do stupid things and I want to smack them. LOL. I may have to be general here and stick with the fact that I love writing my heroines. I love when they are strong and kick ass. (When they do things I wish I could do. <G>) I guess I can say that it's not so much a character that's my favorite to write, but certain characteristics of characters are my favorite. Hope that makes sense.

GS2991 wrote:
Hi Dee J, Yeah haha I like to give then little bits but my characters have their own life. I see my characters in my mind. When I've got a story in my mind and I've draged my feet writing it, I see them with crossed arms and tapping feet. Do you have a character that is your favorite to write?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I agree. Theres that certain type of character I like writing. I have a favorite pencil I write with. Do you have a favorite pen or pencil?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

There are a couple of pens I hoard because I like them so much. (And get upset with the husband or daughter when they find and move them!) I have a couple of really good pens from RWA conferences. I also recently had Dee J. Adams pens made up and love them.  But alas... they are swag and I only snagged a couple for myself. <G>

GS2991 wrote:
I agree. Theres that certain type of character I like writing. I have a favorite pencil I write with. Do you have a favorite pen or pencil?

Author
NJDamschroder
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:
I couldn't ride in one of these cars because they are open wheel race cars with only one seat.

Wow, you did some amazing research! Sounds like a fantastic experience.

I wasn't thinking so much that you'd have gotten to drive a real race car, but an "experience" car kind of thing, one they use specifically for giving civilians a taste of what it's like. But it sounds like you got a full taste of what it's like being part of it all.

HOURS? No way. I could never do it. I fall asleep in the first hour of a road trip. LOL

~~~~~
Natalie J. Damschroder
Author
NJDamschroder
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Natalie - Great to see you here!

Hi, Becke! I have to get over here more often! :smileyhappy:

~~~~~
Natalie J. Damschroder
Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Yeah... probably race car driving isn't for you. LOL.

I would've loved to be in some type of simulator, but I didn't have that kind of opportunity. My research was at the track both for practice time and during a race. Mike, my chief engineer, (yes, he's mine - all mine - LOL), answered sooo many questions for both books. He was amazing and very generous to let me watch his crew work for a weekend.

NJDamschroder wrote:

HOURS? No way. I could never do it. I fall asleep in the first hour of a road trip. LOL

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Some research is fun. Like I am getting into archery mostly since one of my characters uses a bow. But this is more becoming a hobby now. I find it a lot of fun. Has there been somthing you researched and took a liking too?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

You mean besides race car driving? LOL. I NEVER watched it before or cared. Now I'm all but glued to most of the Indy car races. I feel as if I know all the drivers. (I only know one.) But I know several crew members on two teams so I root for them. And of course I cheer on the women drivers the most. As far as other research... Danger Zone deals in show business so that was something I already knew about. The third book revolves around the music industry. For anyone else reading... that's the very FIRST hint I've dropped about Dangerously Close!

GS2991 wrote:
Some research is fun. Like I am getting into archery mostly since one of my characters uses a bow. But this is more becoming a hobby now. I find it a lot of fun. Has there been somthing you researched and took a liking too?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hi Dee J, I don't pay much attention to Indy cars. Maybe a couple drivers. But its the weekend to stay home if you don't like busy stores haha. When my writing slows down I try make for a trip out in the wood. I like the cridders and the quiet. I can relax and throw more sticks to the fire. In a way of saying. I also like to dive in to a book, drawing, or somthing like catching snakes out of the creek. For writing do you have a place you like to see or somthing you like to do ?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

Yeah... probably race car driving isn't for you. LOL.

I would've loved to be in some type of simulator, but I didn't have that kind of opportunity. My research was at the track both for practice time and during a race. Mike, my chief engineer, (yes, he's mine - all mine - LOL), answered sooo many questions for both books. He was amazing and very generous to let me watch his crew work for a weekend.

NJDamschroder wrote:

This is fascinating! The only other author we've had at the Mystery Forum who had similar race car experiences is Lisa Gardner. Have you met her? Sounds like you have some shared interests!