Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author DEE J. ADAMS!

becke_davis wrote:

Dee_J wrote:

Yeah... probably race car driving isn't for you. LOL.

I would've loved to be in some type of simulator, but I didn't have that kind of opportunity. My research was at the track both for practice time and during a race. Mike, my chief engineer, (yes, he's mine - all mine - LOL), answered sooo many questions for both books. He was amazing and very generous to let me watch his crew work for a weekend.

NJDamschroder wrote:

HOURS? No way. I could never do it. I fall asleep in the first hour of a road trip. LOL

This is fascinating! The only other author we've had at the Mystery Forum who had similar race car experiences is Lisa Gardner. Have you met her? Sounds like you have some shared interests!

Becke:

I recall talking to this author about car racing too. I told her about my experience of fainting in the race car in the pit at Pocono Raceway. Check Jean Brashear's page 2 of her visit:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-JEAN-BRASHEAR/td-p/1075346/highl...

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Dee_J wrote:

I would've loved to be in some type of simulator, but I didn't have that kind of opportunity. My research was at the track both for practice time and during a race. Mike, my chief engineer, (yes, he's mine - all mine - LOL), answered sooo many questions for both books. He was amazing and very generous to let me watch his crew work for a weekend.

NJDamschroder wrote:

HOURS? No way. I could never do it. I fall asleep in the first hour of a road trip. LOL

This is fascinating! The only other author we've had at the Mystery Forum who had similar race car experiences is Lisa Gardner. Have you met her? Sounds like you have some shared interests!

Becke:

I recall talking to this author about car racing too. I told her about my experience of fainting in the race car in the pit at Pocono Raceway. Check Jean Brashear's page 2 of her visit:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-JEAN-BRASHEAR/td-p/1075346/highl...

Oh, I forgot about that! Dee - I hope you get a chance to meet Jean one of these days!

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

I haven't met Lisa or Jean, but I have read many of Lisa's books. She's amazing. I'm going to check out that link to Jean now. <G> I loved doing the research for Dangerous Race. It was so much fun. I was very lucky to have the opportunity I did at the race track.

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Dee_J wrote:

NJDamschroder wrote:

Becke:

Oh, I forgot about that! Dee - I hope you get a chance to meet Jean one of these days!

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hey gang,

DId anyone see my interview at Suz Brockmann's countdown to Born to Darkness? Check it out and if you want some more scoop on Hollywood, ask away.

http://www.suzannebrockmann.com/fd1btdcountdownFeb22.html

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I love to watch TMZ. Have you heard of them or watch them?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Actually, I never watch TMZ. I feel bad enough for actors because of thier loss of privacy and TMZ tends to be fairly brutal in their chase for dirt. I worked with Harvey 25 years ago when he was a lawyer behind the scenes at People's Court. He's come a long way.

GS2991 wrote:
I love to watch TMZ. Have you heard of them or watch them?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Cool. What I like is they arn't afraid to make fun of themselves. They ganged up on on Harvey lastnight. It was funny. I do feel bad for the lack of privacy. I read in a autobiography once talking about how ruthless the media can be. For me names for my characters are the hard part. I can have a story idea for weeks or months before I finaly pick a name. Do you have any problems with names?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

On occasion I have problems with names. Not always. Sometimes the characters just ARE their names, so it's easy. Other times, I do struggle. We want our characters' names to go together just like we want the characters themselves to fit together, you know? Sometimes it's a challenge.

GS2991 wrote:
Cool. What I like is they arn't afraid to make fun of themselves. They ganged up on on Harvey lastnight. It was funny. I do feel bad for the lack of privacy. I read in a autobiography once talking about how ruthless the media can be. For me names for my characters are the hard part. I can have a story idea for weeks or months before I finaly pick a name. Do you have any problems with names?

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Exactly. :smileyhappy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

Hey gang,

DId anyone see my interview at Suz Brockmann's countdown to Born to Darkness? Check it out and if you want some more scoop on Hollywood, ask away.

I saw it, and you deserve special congratulations for such a great review from her, PLUS an interview!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

Hey gang,

I'm still kind of stumbling over the words "a 450 page handwritten novel." I know some authors write longhand (or dictate their stories), but I can't IMAGINE writing a whole book by hand. For me, that spells NIGHTMARE!!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee -

How about some name-dropping from your acting and coaching days - have you worked on sitcoms we would be familiar with? What actors have you worked with?

Do you have any pictures of yourself from your acting days? If you'd like to share any, email them to me in jpeg attachments and I'll upload them here.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Becke, haha longhand isn't that bad. Its typing it all over on a computer that to me sounds a nightmare. I favor longhand.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Becke,
I think I've worked with a few people you might be familiar with. My very first sitcom, I worked with a 16 year old Matthew Perry. He was a sweetie and I told him he was going to be hugely famous. He rolled his eyes at me. <G> My second series was Roseanne where I met an adorable George Clooney. I told George something similar: "You're going to own this town someday," I said. He shook his head at me. Actually, I just saw George 2 weeks ago for the first time in about 17 years. He told me I hadn't changed a day. I told him the same thing and he said, "I HAVE TO." He's still adorable. I've worked on dozens of series that didn't last very long and a few that went a few seasons. I did a pilot years ago with Betty White, Marie Osmond and Craig Furgeson. That was a blast. All wonderful people.  I wish I pictures from those days, but I've always been horrible at the picture taking. And it's not something I think about when I'm working with people.

becke_davis wrote:

Dee -

How about some name-dropping from your acting and coaching days - have you worked on sitcoms we would be familiar with? What actors have you worked with?

Do you have any pictures of yourself from your acting days? If you'd like to share any, email them to me in jpeg attachments and I'll upload them here.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Becke!
LOL. I'm seeing all these posts backwards! Aw... thanks for the flower. LOL. Love it!
I know. She's amazing! I've been a fan of hers for so many years. Her new Born to Darkness is such an amazing book. Probably her best to date.

becke_davis wrote:

Dee_J wrote:

Hey gang,

I saw it, and you deserve special congratulations for such a great review from her, PLUS an interview!

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

At the time, I didn't own a computer so I had no other choice. I drove to San Diego and crashed on my brother's sofa where I had no distractions and hand wrote 100 pages in 2 days. I'll never forget it. I think it took me somewhere around a month to get the whole thing into a computer when I finally bought one. That became my second draft since I edited as I went along.

becke_davis wrote:

Dee_J wrote:

Hey gang,

I'm still kind of stumbling over the words "a 450 page handwritten novel." I know some authors write longhand (or dictate their stories), but I can't IMAGINE writing a whole book by hand. For me, that spells NIGHTMARE!!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Hi Becke, haha longhand isn't that bad. Its typing it all over on a computer that to me sounds a nightmare. I favor longhand.

Liz Lipperman doesn't like to type, either. And Lisa Unger wrote one of her books longhand. I'm sure there were others, but those two authors stick in my mind.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:
Becke,
I think I've worked with a few people you might be familiar with. My very first sitcom, I worked with a 16 year old Matthew Perry. He was a sweetie and I told him he was going to be hugely famous. He rolled his eyes at me. <G> My second series was Roseanne where I met an adorable George Clooney. I told George something similar: "You're going to own this town someday," I said. He shook his head at me. Actually, I just saw George 2 weeks ago for the first time in about 17 years. He told me I hadn't changed a day. I told him the same thing and he said, "I HAVE TO." He's still adorable. I've worked on dozens of series that didn't last very long and a few that went a few seasons. I did a pilot years ago with Betty White, Marie Osmond and Craig Furgeson. That was a blast. All wonderful people.  I wish I pictures from those days, but I've always been horrible at the picture taking. And it's not something I think about when I'm working with people.

becke_davis wrote:

Dee -

WOW!!!!! I'm impressed!!!

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

LOL. It was a lot of fun, that's for sure. And Roseanne was a real hoot too. She taught me so much about being strong and standing up for myself. I did a few episodes in the first 4 seasons and they still re-run this many years later.

WOW!!!!! I'm impressed!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hi Dee J, Roseanne. That's really cool. I watch the re-runs every once and a while. That show is funny. Hahaha.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.