Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author DEE J. ADAMS!

Dee_J wrote:

Hi Reading Patti,

Thank you! I've had a great time here so far!

I love my covers too! Aren't they gorgeous! The cover Gods were watching over me. LOL. I had zero say in my book covers. But that didn't bother me since they were so spot on perfect! <G>

Dangerous Race actually had a different title for a long time, but ultimately I thought it was too boring. The title had "Race" in it, but it needed something more... thrilling. Hence "Dangerous." It was shorter and much snappier. I really liked the idea of the word "Danger" and wanted to keep it the through line for the series.

Thanks for checking out the books!! Hope you enjoy them!

ReadingPatti wrote:

Dee_J, Hi and welcome. Hope your visit is a great one. I love the titles of your books and I love a good romantic suspense. I must check out your books.

I love the covers. Do you help in the design of them and how do you come up with your titles? I always wonder how mystery writers come up with their titles.

Have a great visit

I will be checking out your books.

ReadingPatti

Dee - Was it your decision to tweak the titles, or did your publisher suggest that? I'm always curious how much input authors have in these decisions.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Becke,
Yes! I actually heard the story about George's prank on Richard, from Richard himself. He guest starred on a couple of episodes of "Still Standing" where I worked as the dialogue Coach. Hearing the story from his point of view was hysterical. That man is so funny. George has pulled a few good ones on Richard. They are the best of friends.
All those stories from your post are wonderful! I guess as long as you have the money to pull off some of them it's all good. LOL. (Although the chicken story is just plain wrong. I shudder at that.) There is a point where a prank is no longer a prank. Sometimes it's a fine line.

becke_davis wrote:

Dee_J wrote:
All the time. Of course, it depends on the show. George Clooney used to pull a lot of pranks. Not as many as he does these days. I think he was just warming up with us at Roseanne. He got me good one time. Nearly got me fired! I've worked on kids's shows where the kids prank each other. It can be pretty funny.

GS2991 wrote:
Behind the seens. Are there ever gags or pranks?

I remember reading someplace that George Clooney and Brad Pitt pull tricks on each other like Paul Newman and Robert Redford famously used to do.

I just Googled that prank

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Becke,
Ha. Rosie absolutely lived/lives by the first quote. She was all about being in charge those days. I haven't seen her in over twenty years, but I doubt that has changed. That third quote always cracked me up.

becke_davis wrote:

I love quotes, and some great ones are attributed to her:

The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it.
Roseanne Barr

The quickest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
Roseanne Barr

I figure if my kids are alive at the end of the day, I've done my job.
Roseanne Barr

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Dee J, I've heard people having to sit in the makeup chair for sometimes hours at a time. Do you really have to do that? That would drive me insane!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

The titles were mine. Carina Press didn't change them. Dangerous Race was the only one with a different working title, but by the time I submitted it to Carina Press, it had it's current title. I think there is less leeway for category authors to title their books, but it also depends on the publisher and what they feel will catch the most attention. I think having some form of "Danger" in the title automatically says "suspense" and I like that recognition.

becke_davis wrote:

Dee - Was it your decision to tweak the titles, or did your publisher suggest that? I'm always curious how much input authors have in these decisions.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Absolutely. Of course it depends on what the actual makeup is. But for a female who might have to dress up for a wedding or formal occasion where full hair and makeup is required it can take 90 minutes easy. Sometimes longer depending on a hair style. If a person is playing an alien of some sort...forget about it... you're talking HOURS. Possibly 3 or 4. It all depends on the look and detail required. On the other hand, if you're a guy with not much maintainence, you could be out of the chair (both hair and makeup) in 10 or 15 minutes.

GS2991 wrote:
I've heard people having to sit in the makeup chair for sometimes hours at a time. Do you really have to do that? That would drive me insane!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Happy Day! Found this in my TBR pile today! Features UNBREAKABLE a short story by Debra Webb!

From Back Cover:

"Although she's been hired to prove that drives are serious athletes, Dr. Maxine Gray doesn't think much of NASCAR racing. So in the sprit of Christmas, driver Rush Jackson is determined to show the good doctor the "rush" that racing - and race car drivers - can bring."

A NASCAR Holiday  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hi Dee J, wow. I'm a tomboy I never wear any of that. Never got into girl stuff. Uhh that would drive me crazy. It is kinda funny I get called "Sir " alot and I like to turn around in mock hurt. Haha.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Forever My Love / Solitary Soldier  

Found this book in my pile too! Features SOLITARY SOLDIER by Debra!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Hi Eadieburke,
Did you mean me? Actually, my two releases currently are Dangerous Race and Danger Zone with Carina Press. I don't have any other stories published. And I can almost guarantee I wouldn't be in an anthology because I don't know how to write small. LOL. All my books are fairly hefty at 100K +.
Unbreakable is by one of the authors in that anthology. (Kimberly, Debra or Roxanne.) <G>

eadieburke wrote:

Happy Day! Found this in my TBR pile today! Features UNBREAKABLE a short story by Dee!

From Back Cover:

"Although she's been hired to prove that drives are serious athletes, Dr. Maxine Gray doesn't think much of NASCAR racing. So in the sprit of Christmas, driver Rush Jackson is determined to show the good doctor the "rush" that racing - and race car drivers - can bring."

A NASCAR Holiday  

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

You don't need a lot of makeup all the time or every day. For me, it makes me feel good about myself. I don't wear a ton, but enough to bring out the good features (and the hide the features I don't like! LOL). I don't mind spending 5 minutes with makeup if it makes me feel good the rest of the day. And depending on what I've got going, then more time might be required. If it's not worth it to you, then you shouldn't do it. Everyone is different.

GS2991 wrote:
Hi Dee J, wow. I'm a tomboy I never wear any of that. Never got into girl stuff. Uhh that would drive me crazy. It is kinda funny I get called "Sir " alot and I like to turn around in mock hurt. Haha.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Sorry about that! I got confused with our guest from 2/16/12 - must have been the NASCAR mention that got me!

Dee_J wrote:
Hi Eadieburke,
Did you mean me? Actually, my two releases currently are Dangerous Race and Danger Zone with Carina Press. I don't have any other stories published. And I can almost guarantee I wouldn't be in an anthology because I don't know how to write small. LOL. All my books are fairly hefty at 100K +.
Unbreakable is by one of the authors in that anthology. (Kimberly, Debra or Roxanne.) <G>

eadieburke wrote:

Happy Day! Found this in my TBR pile today! Features UNBREAKABLE a short story by Dee!

From Back Cover:

A NASCAR Holiday  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:
Becke,
Yes! I actually heard the story about George's prank on Richard, from Richard himself. He guest starred on a couple of episodes of "Still Standing" where I worked as the dialogue Coach. Hearing the story from his point of view was hysterical. That man is so funny. George has pulled a few good ones on Richard. They are the best of friends.
All those stories from your post are wonderful! I guess as long as you have the money to pull off some of them it's all good. LOL. (Although the chicken story is just plain wrong. I shudder at that.) There is a point where a prank is no longer a prank. Sometimes it's a fine line.

becke_davis wrote:

Dee_J wrote:
All the time. Of course, it depends on the show. George Clooney used to pull a lot of pranks. Not as many as he does these days. I think he was just warming up with us at Roseanne. He got me good one time. Nearly got me fired! I've worked on kids's shows where the kids prank each other. It can be pretty funny.

GS2991 wrote:
Behind the seens. Are there ever gags or pranks?

I remember reading someplace that George Clooney and Brad Pitt pull tricks on each other like Paul Newman and Robert Redford famously used to do.

I just Googled that prank

I'm not much for pranks or practical jokes myself. Some of these hover on that fine line, and one was GROSS! Maybe it's a guy thing...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:

Becke,
Ha. Rosie absolutely lived/lives by the first quote. She was all about being in charge those days. I haven't seen her in over twenty years, but I doubt that has changed. That third quote always cracked me up.

becke_davis wrote:

I love quotes, and some great ones are attributed to her:

The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it.
Roseanne Barr

The quickest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
Roseanne Barr

I figure if my kids are alive at the end of the day, I've done my job.
Roseanne Barr

I like that first quote a lot - and I think it's very true! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:
The titles were mine. Carina Press didn't change them. Dangerous Race was the only one with a different working title, but by the time I submitted it to Carina Press, it had it's current title. I think there is less leeway for category authors to title their books, but it also depends on the publisher and what they feel will catch the most attention. I think having some form of "Danger" in the title automatically says "suspense" and I like that recognition.

becke_davis wrote:

I think they are great titles! Also, they make it clear from the start what the reader can expect. Some titles are really confusing!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Happy Day! Found this in my TBR pile today! Features UNBREAKABLE a short story by Debra Webb!

From Back Cover:

A NASCAR Holiday  

And, coincidentally, Deb was just here last week!

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

No worries. <G>
(There are a lot of Dees lurking these days. That's why I tend to use my initial J as well.)

eadieburke wrote:

Sorry about that! I got confused with our guest from 2/16/12 - must have been the NASCAR mention that got me!

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

Becke,
Thanks. And I agree with you. Some titles are misleading. I really wanted something short, but I also wanted to get the feel of the book across. I was thrilled Carina liked the titles as they were submitted.

becke_davis wrote:

I think they are great titles! Also, they make it clear from the start what the reader can expect. Some titles are really confusing!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dee_J wrote:
No worries. <G>
(There are a lot of Dees lurking these days. That's why I tend to use my initial J as well.)

eadieburke wrote:

I have a funny NASCAR story. When my kids were in high school, there was a big "meet the teachers" open house. Parents and students at the open house were given mix and match answer sheets where you had to guess which teacher's name went with their hobby or "little known fact." 

One that everyone missed was NASCAR related - the English teacher both of my kids had turned out to be a huge fan. When school was out she'd go to every single race! I don't think anyone guessed that one right.

Author
Dee_J
0 Kudos

That's cute. (Kind of like me and my dogs. People don't peg me for Pitbull. LOL.) Funny how we assume people's likes by what they do or don't do for a living. Like the librarian who pole dances at night. (Bad example? LOL.)

becke_davis wrote:

I have a funny NASCAR story. When my kids were in high school, there was a big "meet the teachers" open house. Parents and students at the open house were given mix and match answer sheets where you had to guess which teacher's name went with their hobby or "little known fact." 

One that everyone missed was NASCAR related - the English teacher both of my kids had turned out to be a huge fan. When school was out she'd go to every single race! I don't think anyone guessed that one right.