Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author DOROTHY ST. JAMES!

Welcome Dorothy: I have FLOWERBED OF STATE in my to-be-read pile. I will definitely move it up and then look forward to reading THE SCARLET PEPPER. Your titles are very eye-catching and hopefully they will help sell your books! I hope you enjoy your visit with us!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dorothy - Both of your books have beautiful covers. Have you ever met the artist who painted them?

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author DOROTHY ST. JAMES!

Thanks, Maxcat! I appreciate it. I have been looking forward to this week for a while now.

White House Gardener Mysteries
Flowerbed of State May 2011
The Scarlet Pepper April 2012
Oak and Dagger April 2013
Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author DOROTHY ST. JAMES!

Oak and Dagger should be out April 2013 (I think). I find release dates often shift around.

It's fall and Casey is back in the garden. What do holes in the South Lawn, a lost letter from Dolley Madison, and an ex-spy have in common? In the spring of 2013, Casey is going to find out how those three seemingly unconnected events in her life add up to betrayal…and murder.

Lots of unanswered questions will be answered in this book. It's been exciting (and quite a challenge) as I work on finishing writing its last 1/3.

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

Thanks for stopping by and for the welcome, Eadie! I hope you enjoy Flowerbed of State. I've been pleased with the reviews that came in for it over the past year.

As for the covers, I consider myself quite the lucky girl. The cover artist, Mary Ann Lasher, does lots of mystery novel covers. Many of her covers features a cat or a dog. I've heard from my editor that Milo, the White House's naughty puppy, might just show up on the next cover!!! Now that would be something.

Becke, I haven't had the pleasure to meet the cover artist. Actually, I haven't even met my editor in person. This really is a cyber world we live in nowadays.

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

Speaking of dogs, here's a picture of Iona, my little princess. She's a 5-pound, 6 year-old papillon. And she owns my heart. She likes to eat my carrots (pulls them out of the ground) and loves, loves, loves to eat the broccoli. Thank goodness the plants have grown too tall for her to reach the florets. When I'm working out in the garden, she begs for me to pick her some to munch on, which of course I do.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

Speaking of dogs, here's a picture of Iona, my little princess. She's a 5-pound, 6 year-old papillon. And she owns my heart. She likes to eat my carrots (pulls them out of the ground) and loves, loves, loves to eat the broccoli. Thank goodness the plants have grown too tall for her to reach the florets. When I'm working out in the garden, she begs for me to pick her some to munch on, which of course I do.

Sooooo cute!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dorothy - What were some of the books that inspired you to become a writer?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Congratulations on your release day, Dorothy!

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

Some of my favorite books that really inspired me are:

The Modesty Blaise series by Peter O'Donnell

The Vicky Bliss Series by Elizabeth Peters

The Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters

Did you see, Becke, that Elizabeth Peters will be at Malice? I've never met her. And I can't be more thrilled to hear what she has to say about writing. Whenever I need inspiration, I pick up one of her books. I love, love, love her!

Anything by Mary Higgens Clark, Ernest Hemingway, or Agatha Christie, but especially Hemingway's and Christie's short stories. There's an art to writing a short story. I'm amazed when it's done well.

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

Thank you! Thank you! This is the day that I've been nervously anticipating. The book is out there now. Oh no!... I mean, YAY! (Really, I'm happy about it.) :smileytongue:

Today I'm celebrating by attending a plant propagation workshop that my local extension is hosting. It's being held in a part of town that will take me right past the local Barnes & Noble, so you know where I'll be stopping...and visiting...and perhaps buying a few copies.

Welcome to the world, little seedling:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

Did you see, Becke, that Elizabeth Peters will be at Malice? I've never met her. And I can't be more thrilled to hear what she has to say about writing. Whenever I need inspiration, I pick up one of her books. I love, love, love her!

Anything by Mary Higgens Clark, Ernest Hemingway, or Agatha Christie, but especially Hemingway's and Christie's short stories. There's an art to writing a short story. I'm amazed when it's done well.

Elizabeth Peters is going to be at Malice?? That's fabulous! This will be my first time there.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

Thank you! Thank you! This is the day that I've been nervously anticipating. The book is out there now. Oh no!... I mean, YAY! (Really, I'm happy about it.) :smileytongue:

Today I'm celebrating by attending a plant propagation workshop that my local extension is hosting. It's being held in a part of town that will take me right past the local Barnes & Noble, so you know where I'll be stopping...and visiting...and perhaps buying a few copies.

Welcome to the world, little seedling:

Have fun at the workshop! Local extension services are a great resource for home gardeners!

Here's some balloons to help you celebrate!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Dorothy - Both of your books have beautiful covers. Have you ever met the artist who painted them?

Aww, no fair, becke, I was going to ask that! :catlol:

Anyway, Welcome back to our forum., Dorothy, and thank you for your answer to becke's question. I also agree with eadie that the titles of your books are quite appealing, as I am a sucker for puns!

Thanks also for sharing with us your writing experience of working on Scarlet Pepper. So glad you were finally able to get the book finished!!!!! BTW, I love the title, as it makes me think of The Scarlet Pimpernel, one of my favorite books. Did you choose the title yourself, or was that decision made by your editors(sorry if you've already answered this--I'm skimming through posts to catch up)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

OMG Another Elizabeth Peters fan!!!! I got started on her Amelia Peabody series first, and then also got into her Vicky Bliss and Jacqueline Kirby books as well. Have you read the latest VB book, which indicates that her John Smythe is a descendant of Amelia and Emerson Peabody!!!?  So glad for you that you are going to Malice Domestic. Maybe you and becke will be able to meet Elizabeh there-- soooo exciting!!

Re my previous post-- did you ever read Baroness O's Scarlet Pimpernel?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

It'll be my first time at Malice, too. I can't wait to meet you, Becke! I can't wait to meet everyone! I'll be the awestruck one who isn't saying anything.

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

RE: Amelia Peabody/Vicky Bliss

OMG, Fricka! Wasn't that last book such a great gift to the readers??? I loved how she'd tied the two series together. Swooned as I read it. I actually paid the hardcover price for the ebook when it first came out, I loved it that much (and wanted to get my hands on it immediately!)

That said, the book of hers that grabbed my heart and squeezed was Night Train to Memphis. What John did to Vicky broke my heart. (Of course it had a happy ending) It was one of those very rare books that I read, get to the ending, and start at the beginning again.

The Laughter of Dead Kings (Vicky Bliss Series #6) 

Night Train to Memphis (Vicky Bliss Series #5)   

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fricka, you made me laugh. I came up with the titles when writing the three-book proposal years ago. And I've been very lucky that Berkley has let me keep them all.

The Scarlet Pepper is actually a takeoff from The Scarlet Letter. My friend Nina Bruhns, who writes sexy romantic suspense, kept thinking it was from The Scarlet Pimpernel too. Whenever we'd talk about the book, she'd tell me that I needed to change the title to The Scarlet Peppermill, which isn't a bad title. Maybe one day I'll use it. :smileyhappy:

I've not read Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel (bad me), but I've watched a couple of the movie adaptations. I'll have to add that to my TBR list.

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

I agee with you, Becke, the extension services are super resources that are all too often forgotten and overlooked in our area.

Today's plant propagation workshop was a wonderful way to celebrate my book's release! We practiced and refined our air-layering technique on sasanqua camellias. And I won a lovely pink-blooming sasanquas that the volunteers at the extension had propagated last year. Lucky me!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

It'll be my first time at Malice, too. I can't wait to meet you, Becke! I can't wait to meet everyone! I'll be the awestruck one who isn't saying anything.

I'll be with my friend Duffy Brown. We'll be hanging onto each other for dear life! I'm nervous I'll forget everyone's names!