becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author DOROTHY ST. JAMES!

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

I agee with you, Becke, the extension services are super resources that are all too often forgotten and overlooked in our area.

Today's plant propagation workshop was a wonderful way to celebrate my book's release! We practiced and refined our air-layering technique on sasanqua camellias. And I won a lovely pink-blooming sasanquas that the volunteers at the extension had propagated last year. Lucky me!

I meant to ask you, Dorothy - there's a mulch "recipe" at the end of your new book. Do you want to share it here?

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

It'll be my first time at Malice, too. I can't wait to meet you, Becke! I can't wait to meet everyone! I'll be the awestruck one who isn't saying anything.

<<I'll be with my friend Duffy Brown. We'll be hanging onto each other for dear life! I'm nervous I'll forget everyone's names!>>

At least we'll all be wearing name tags. I've not met Duffy yet. I look forward to meeting everyone...and reading their name tags.

White House Gardener Mysteries
Flowerbed of State May 2011
The Scarlet Pepper April 2012
Oak and Dagger April 2013
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

It'll be my first time at Malice, too. I can't wait to meet you, Becke! I can't wait to meet everyone! I'll be the awestruck one who isn't saying anything.

<<I'll be with my friend Duffy Brown. We'll be hanging onto each other for dear life! I'm nervous I'll forget everyone's names!>>

At least we'll all be wearing name tags. I've not met Duffy yet. I look forward to meeting everyone...and reading their name tags.

Here's my idea for name tags at conferences: name tags the size of a legal pad page, with names written in headline size bold type, worn on our backs. That way if you see someone who looks familiar but you can't place them, you can discreetly walk behind them and read the name tag without a) squinting at a tiny piece of paper hanging over their boobs while trying to avoid calling them by name. (If I have to introduce them to Duffy, I'm screwed!)

I do wish conferences would at least make name tags in larger type - it would be so much easier that way! I'm fine once I've met people a few times, but at conferences I get brain freeze with names! Luckily, there will be a lot of people there I've met before.

It will be like a Barnes & Noble Mystery Forum Reunion!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

RE: Amelia Peabody/Vicky Bliss

OMG, Fricka! Wasn't that last book such a great gift to the readers??? I loved how she'd tied the two series together. Swooned as I read it. I actually paid the hardcover price for the ebook when it first came out, I loved it that much (and wanted to get my hands on it immediately!)

That said, the book of hers that grabbed my heart and squeezed was Night Train to Memphis. What John did to Vicky broke my heart. (Of course it had a happy ending) It was one of those very rare books that I read, get to the ending, and start at the beginning again.

The Laughter of Dead Kings (Vicky Bliss Series #6) 

Night Train to Memphis (Vicky Bliss Series #5)   

Hmmmm--I could almost think we are sisters who got separated, if not at birth, then sometime in the past. I also liked Night Train to Memphis better than Laughter of Dead Kings, even though that was a good book. I don't blame John for what Vicky went through in Night Train, though--think it was cuddly little Schimidt who got her into the assignment and one of the head agents who was most to blame for her predicament. Much more thrilling a book, in my view, as we did not know if things were going to work out between John and Vicky--having his mother along on his "vacation" and her being so thrilled with his "sweet wife" Mary was an added complication that made it rough for both John AND Vicky! But I must admit, you are right about the latter book being a gift to us the readers. EP has been so busy churning out the Amelia mysteries that I had sort of given up hope that there would be another Vicky Bliss novel. Now, I'm hoping maybe Elizabeth will write one more Jacqueline Kirby novel!!!! Maybe one where she gets back together with that hunky Italian police agent that she met in The Seventh Sinner!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

It will be! There are so many great writers and super-fans planning to come. I can't wait! I just have to get my WIP finished, or else I'll feel like Cinderella, having to write at the free moments instead of playing at the ball. :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

It will be! There are so many great writers and super-fans planning to come. I can't wait! I just have to get my WIP finished, or else I'll feel like Cinderella, having to write at the free moments instead of playing at the ball. :smileyhappy:

Good luck finishing it!

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

Here's the direction on sheet composting as they appear in the back of the book. It's also known as lagnsa gardening, because you garden by layers. It's great for people like me who are too impatient (or perhaps too lazy) to keep a compost pile going. I also have a tiny yard and not a lot of room for a compost bin.

Recipe for Quick and Easy Sheet Composting

Sheet composting, also known as lasagna gardening, is a quick method for creating a rich planting medium for your vegetable or flower garden. Don’t have a yard? You can sheet compost in planters and pots. As the plant grows, it breaks down the compost ingredients, which in turn feeds the plant. Great for the lazy (or busy) gardener who is unwilling or unable to commit to the time and effort needed to tend a compost system.

No matter the condition of the soil in your yard, you’ll end up with a planting bed filled with nutrient-rich, fluffy soil.

Ingredients:

Water from a hose

Newspapers or cardboard

Topsoil

Greens (fruit and vegetable scraps from your kitchen, grass clippings, tea leaves/bags, coffee grounds—ask your local coffee shop for their used grounds)

Browns (leaf litter, hay)

Directions:

Determine the size and location of your planting site.

Spread a layer of newspaper or cardboard over the planting site, overlapping the sheets. There’s no need to pull grass or weeds or till the soil, just layer the newspapers over the existing ground.

Using a hose, soak the newspapers or cardboard.

Add a layer of greens (see list from above). Wet with a hose.

Add a layer of topsoil. Wet with a hose.

Add a layer of browns (see list from above). Wet with a hose.

Continue adding layers of greens, browns, and topsoil until you have a mound/planting bed that is at least two feet high. Wet each layer with a hose.

Finally, top the mound/planting bed with three to four inches of topsoil. Wet with a hose.

Plant your garden. (There’s no need to wait. The roots will help break down the compost material as your plants grow, in turn providing your plants with nutrients.)

Add a thick layer of mulch.

Enjoy!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Dorothy and becke-- maybe you two could get T-Shirts that have your names in large print on them, for your appearance at Malice. I agree that the nametags given out at most conventions are not big enough to read from a distance.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

Here's the direction on sheet composting as they appear in the back of the book. It's also known as lagnsa gardening, because you garden by layers. It's great for people like me who are too impatient (or perhaps too lazy) to keep a compost pile going. I also have a tiny yard and not a lot of room for a compost bin.

Recipe for Quick and Easy Sheet Composting

Sheet composting, also known as lasagna gardening, is a quick method for creating a rich planting medium for your vegetable or flower garden. Don’t have a yard? You can sheet compost in planters and pots. As the plant grows, it breaks down the compost ingredients, which in turn feeds the plant. Great for the lazy (or busy) gardener who is unwilling or unable to commit to the time and effort needed to tend a compost system.

No matter the condition of the soil in your yard, you’ll end up with a planting bed filled with nutrient-rich, fluffy soil.

Ingredients:

Water from a hose

Newspapers or cardboard

Topsoil

Greens (fruit and vegetable scraps from your kitchen, grass clippings, tea leaves/bags, coffee grounds—ask your local coffee shop for their used grounds)

Browns (leaf litter, hay)

Directions:

Determine the size and location of your planting site.

Spread a layer of newspaper or cardboard over the planting site, overlapping the sheets. There’s no need to pull grass or weeds or till the soil, just layer the newspapers over the existing ground.

Using a hose, soak the newspapers or cardboard.

Add a layer of greens (see list from above). Wet with a hose.

Add a layer of topsoil. Wet with a hose.

Add a layer of browns (see list from above). Wet with a hose.

Continue adding layers of greens, browns, and topsoil until you have a mound/planting bed that is at least two feet high. Wet each layer with a hose.

Finally, top the mound/planting bed with three to four inches of topsoil. Wet with a hose.

Plant your garden. (There’s no need to wait. The roots will help break down the compost material as your plants grow, in turn providing your plants with nutrients.)

Add a thick layer of mulch.

Enjoy!

For those of you who want more info on this:

Lasagna Gardening 

Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces 

Lasagna Gardening with Herbs    

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Dorothy and becke-- maybe you two could get T-Shirts that have your names in large print on them, for your appearance at Malice. I agree that the nametags given out at most conventions are not big enough to read from a distance.

I think sandwich boards might work even better!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dorothy - How many books have you planned for this series?

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Or perhaps there should be an app for that. Everyone has a chip in their badge. You can glance down at your phone when you walk up to them and get a full bio. And then you could use it to stalk your favorite authors, too! LOL!

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I have a 3-book contract, and I'm working on the third book now. Will the series continue beyond this third book? That'll be for the publishing gods to decide, I think.

Writing these books have taken me places and let me meet people who I never would have dreamed I would meet, like other mystery others who I adore, and agency officials, and tours of the White House, its gardens, and a peek into the top secret areas at the State Department. What a thrill ride I've been on these past couple of years. I'm grateful for what I've been given so far. So I try not to look too far into the future.

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

It's time for another puppy picture.

My pup, Rosie, turned 1 sometime this past week. When? We don't know. She's a rescue pup. We started to foster her and her brother when they were 4 or 5 weeks old for the local shelter. They were still wobbly on their stubby little legs.

Rosie was so tiny, only 4 pounds! Now she's close to 40 pounds! Here's Rosie through the past year:

She's often frustrated that she isn't small anymore. She has growing pains aplenty. She doesn't fit neatly on our laps, can no longer hide under the sofa and treat it like a den, and can't play with our little Iona (who is 7 pounds) without making Iona nervous that this giant, bouncy beast might crush her.

But she loves how her long legs eat up the ground below her. She loves getting a bigger portion than Iona for dinner. And I think she truly enjoys trying to knock me over when she jumps up on me.

Happy birthday, you big goof! And many happy returns!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Dorothy Hi, happy one day belated Release Day!!! and Happy birthday to Rosie, maybe you could make her a carrot cake :smileyhappy:

i love your mysteries and it's so nice that you get to attend the book fair, I love to meet authors and I always check out their website for their events calendar.

I'm in St. Louis and this month i get to meet MJ Rose and Marie Bostwick.

I don't see you scheduled for the area.

It's good to say hi, good luck with the new novel

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Or perhaps there should be an app for that. Everyone has a chip in their badge. You can glance down at your phone when you walk up to them and get a full bio. And then you could use it to stalk your favorite authors, too! LOL!

BRILLIANT!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I have a 3-book contract, and I'm working on the third book now. Will the series continue beyond this third book? That'll be for the publishing gods to decide, I think.

Writing these books have taken me places and let me meet people who I never would have dreamed I would meet, like other mystery others who I adore, and agency officials, and tours of the White House, its gardens, and a peek into the top secret areas at the State Department. What a thrill ride I've been on these past couple of years. I'm grateful for what I've been given so far. So I try not to look too far into the future.

Well, I hope there are more - fingers crossed!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

It's time for another puppy picture.

My pup, Rosie, turned 1 sometime this past week. When? We don't know. She's a rescue pup. We started to foster her and her brother when they were 4 or 5 weeks old for the local shelter. They were still wobbly on their stubby little legs.

Rosie was so tiny, only 4 pounds! Now she's close to 40 pounds! Here's Rosie through the past year:

She's often frustrated that she isn't small anymore. She has growing pains aplenty. She doesn't fit neatly on our laps, can no longer hide under the sofa and treat it like a den, and can't play with our little Iona (who is 7 pounds) without making Iona nervous that this giant, bouncy beast might crush her.

But she loves how her long legs eat up the ground below her. She loves getting a bigger portion than Iona for dinner. And I think she truly enjoys trying to knock me over when she jumps up on me.

Happy birthday, you big goof! And many happy returns!

What a sweetheart! Here's a virtual cake to help the celebrations:

Author
dorothy_mcfalls
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Dorothy Hi, happy one day belated Release Day!!! and Happy birthday to Rosie, maybe you could make her a carrot cake :smileyhappy:

i love your mysteries and it's so nice that you get to attend the book fair, I love to meet authors and I always check out their website for their events calendar.

I'm in St. Louis and this month i get to meet MJ Rose and Marie Bostwick.

I don't see you scheduled for the area.

It's good to say hi, good luck with the new novel

Thank you so much for the well wishes! I'm glad that you enjoy my mysteries. I hope to keep writing them as long as I can! My schedule is still forming, but right now the closest I get to St. Louis is Cleveland, OH, not too close. I'll be there for Bouchercon in the fall.

That's so neat that you got to meet MJ Rose and Marie Bostwick! Speaking of Marie's books, one of my long-time ambitions is to make a quilt. I watch all the quilting shows and just sigh and wish I had a sewing machine (and a place to put a sewing machine.) 

We baked muffins in Rosie's honor. She did get a few pieces. And so did the rest of the gang. A snapped this picture with my iTouch a few weeks ago. Rosie with Iona, our papillon, and Suki, our stubborn (but sweet) kitty.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dorothy_mcfalls wrote:

We baked muffins in Rosie's honor. She did get a few pieces. And so did the rest of the gang. A snapped this picture with my iTouch a few weeks ago. Rosie with Iona, our papillon, and Suki, our stubborn (but sweet) kitty.

Awwwww, total cute! Happy belated birthday to Rosie. Thank you for sharing her "growing up" pictures, too. It's nice to see that all three of your pets can relax happily together. I don't have a pet right now, due to my parent's health issues, so I vicariously enjoy viewing other people's pets.

Dorothy, thanks so much for joining us here on the B&N Mystery Forum; it's been a pleasure chatting with you!