Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author ED KOVACS!

optic_i wrote:

Hi Ed, sorry for my last post, I am my own gremlin today ! 

I saw the book price like Eadie and wanted to ask if the book was out of print. It looks like one I would like to read if you were to have it reprinted.

Also, Ed, I didn't know that you could find gold and silver by dousing. I found that very interesting because a friend of mine taught me how to pan for gold in some streams. No gold was found but it was an adventure for me, anyway!    :smileyhappy:       

Optic

Thanks for your questions.  Hopefully, we can get Unseen Forces revised and re-released.  It was never an e-book, so I'll see what I can do.

I'm a member of the Tucson Dowser's Association.  A lot of the dowsers have come to it from an engineering background, interestingly enough.  These folks are more scientifically oriented and believe that one can only dowse for water,  They also don't charge much to do it.

But others will dowse for anything.  I enlised some dowsers to try and "map dowse" the location of a crashed aircraft.  There is a dowser in Northen California who is very very good at locating missing aircraft, but he will only do i for family members.

Other dowsers have had success looking for artifacts/gold/silver.  My late uncle was tested by skeptics who had hidden gold, and he was always able to locate it!

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

EdKovacs wrote:

Here is some of the advance praise I got for UNSEEN FORCES:

ACCLAIM FOR ED KOVACS’

UNSEEN FORCES

“Indiana Jones on steroids.  Kovacs adroitly embroiders an intellectual tapestry encompassing geography, history, and phenomenology all accented with action and intrigue.”

-Col. John Alexander, author of Future War, and The Warrior’s Edge,

“Kovacs makes fine use of his screenwriting background – weaving Egyptian mythology, psychic spying, and a quest for the secret of eternal life into a spellbinding thriller that will keep you riveted well past midnight.  Unseen Forces seems destined for the big screen… but we all know the book’s always better than the movie.”

-Terry Perkins, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch

“Ed Kovacs wrote the first movie about the U.S. military’s secret psychic spy unit.  He knows his stuff, and his novel, Unseen Forces, is a helluva thrill ride full of conspiracies within conspiracies.  It’s Indiana Jones meets Jason Bourne.  He owes me a night’s sleep, because I couldn’t put it down.”

-Bob Misiorowski, producer, Tombstone

Unseen Forces is about a modern day spy agency race to solve an ancient Egyptian riddle, and it will keep you up nights with feverish anticipation.  Ed Kovacs’ novel is destined to become a classic in the action/mystery/quest genre!”

-Randall Fitzgerald, author of Cosmic Test Tube

“A real page-turner rivaling The Da Vinci Code.”

-Phenomena Magazine

“I couldn’t wait to get back to it after I put it down.  Kovacs covers some serious philosophical questions within the framework of a potboiler.”

-Paul Smith, Major, U.S. Army (retired), former military remote viewer in a secret unit funded by the Defense Intelligence Agency.  Author of Reading The Enemy’s Mind

Becke,

UNSEEN FORCES is out of print, but I think used copies are available online.  I own all of the rights, and will probably get around to doing a revision and releasing it as an e-book.  Does it sound like something you'd want to read?

(I must be boring--almost no one else has commented in this thread!)

Ed - This is normal, don't worry. A couple hundred people usually view the threads during the week our featured authors visit, but that count continues to go up - sometimes astronomically - over the weeks and months. 

Part of the problem is our glitchy sign-in process - it's necessary to sign in before you can comment, so some people just give up and read the posts instead. On the plus side, our lovely lurkers buy a lot of books!

Since people do continue to view these threads, please come back any time you want in the future. You're always welcome to share new information with us - a new book cover, an e-release, an award nomination - anything you like! This is "your" thread now, and we'd love to see you back here again.

You asked about UNSEEN FORCES - definitely let me (and the rest of us) know if you reissue it. That's another difference with the Mystery Forum - it's not like a traditional book club where people read the books in the advance of an author's visit. Here, people read the posts and (sometimes) ask questions (mostly they leave that to me), and then they go out and buy the book if it sounds interesting.

Oddly enough, our participants seem to like it best when debut authors join us. Brand new authors often draw a lot more interest than the big names!

Thanks for that info, Becke, I didn't realize that.  I didn't expect to reach tons of people here, but I know I would be reaching QUALITY people.  And I mean that.

If I can dig up some photos not on my website that might be interesting, I will email them to you.

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

I promised to post a story about my research for UNSEEN FORCES.  Here's an excerpt from an interview I did with a Website called the Daily Grail:

Rico: Apart from the action and conspiracy theories, your novel also deals with the very real and tragic plight of the Burmese people. I’ve been following the story of Aung San Suu Kyi for many years, but the drug trade in the Golden Triangle has remained largely unreported in the West. Tell us about your experiences in Thailand and Burma, and how it affected your novel?

Ed: I’m a sucker to support the underdog, the average guy. I’d been following the genocide against Burmese ethnic groups for a long time, and wanted to give some ink to their plight. For me, the best way to do that with veracity is to go there. I made both legal and illegal incursions into Burma, in the Golden Triangle, to see things for myself. I also spent time down in Mae Sot, a town Soldier of Fortune magazine compares to the wild wild West. I visited Burmese refugee camps on the Thai side of the border that were shelled and attacked by the Burmese army, until driven away by Thai Rangers.

Mae Sot was a wild and wooly place.  In the Golden Triangle I traveled with different guides, and thankfully avoided trouble. I was told I was suspected of being DEA – not a good thing in an area where everyone is dealing dope. I’m gratified to hear from so many readers who tell me the chapters set in Asia are their favorite part of my book.

Cheers,

Ed

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Ed:

Definitely come back and let us know when we can acquire a copy of UNSEEN FORCES. The more you can't get a copy, the more you want one. Human nature?

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ed sent some pictures to share with all of you, and because of the time difference they've been sitting on my computer several hours. So, a little late, here they are.

I can't get the captions to show up under the appropriate pictures, but they should show up in this order:

1) At the fabulous temple ruins in Cambodia.

2) The French Quarter bar Pravda is featured prominently in all Cliff St. James novels.  Here I am with two off-duty security contractor buddies in Pravda, just before a small brawl broke out.  No one was seriously injured!

3) This from a dowsing expedition to Rudy, AZ, looking for gold.

ed_angor_wat.jpg
NewOrleans001.JPG
DSCI0099.JPG
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Yes I want Unseen Forces too.

Have a great weekend Ed and everyone!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the pics,  being a writer and haveing been to Asia and traveled, what's you favorite exotic location?  Also what place captivated your imagination, and perhaps you thought you would write about it someday.    :smileyhappy:        Optic

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Wine and the newspaper..what could be better

Then I saw this in my local paper!

The bleak and dangerous situation in New Orleans that followed Hurricane Katrina has an element of treachery added to it in Ed Kovacs' new novel, “Storm Damage.”

As the book opens, it's five months, 15 days into the “new normal,” as residents called the time just after the storm. Kovacs' hero, Cliff St. James, was a policeman until the hurricane. He is now teaching martial arts, but he's broke and going deep into debt.

“Storm Damage: A Crime Novel”

By Ed Kovacs

Minotaur, 320 pages, $25.99

“Mother Nature and the looters had destroyed my place of business; my students fled to points unknown around the country. I had no job, no income. Me and a couple hundred thousand other people.”

St. James is in his damaged dojo when a woman walks in and startles him so much, he's decked by a student. Twee Siu is the daughter of the last murder victim before Katrina hit. Her father was a friend of St. James, and she wants to hire the former cop to find out what happened. He is reluctant to take the case until Siu offers him $550 a day plus expenses and a $30,000 bonus if he finds out what happened to her father.

In “Storm Damage,” everyone has an ulterior motive and everyone is dirty, especially the police and Detective Sgt. Dice McCarty, who was St. James' nemesis when he was on the force. McCarty has since hooked up with St. James' ex-wife.

As St. James looks for answers, he wanders through a city that is as dark — and the characters as hard to pin down — as the floodwaters still swirling in many of the city's streets.

Finding out what happened isn't going to be easy. The body disappeared with the flood, and so did any evidence. That's not to say St. James won't find out a lot about his old friend, including a connection with the CIA.

By the time Mardi Gras hits the storm-torn streets, St. James is trying to not only solve a mystery, but also avoid a killer who's looking for him.

Kovacs has written a fast-paced, gritty novel in which no one is to be trusted and nothing is as it seems. His noir take on the thriller will hook readers and make residents of New Orleans glad that although things were bad in their city, they weren't as bad as Kovacs paints them.

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Yes I want Unseen Forces too.

Have a great weekend Ed and everyone!

Thanks, Debbie!

This is for Debbie and all the Cardinals fans out there:

"Money talked and Albert walked (intentionally)."

Go Cardinals!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

The bleak and dangerous situation in New Orleans that followed Hurricane Katrina has an element of treachery added to it in Ed Kovacs' new novel, “Storm Damage.”

As the book opens, it's five months, 15 days into the “new normal,” as residents called the time just after the storm. Kovacs' hero, Cliff St. James, was a policeman until the hurricane. He is now teaching martial arts, but he's broke and going deep into debt.

By Ed Kovacs

“Mother Nature and the looters had destroyed my place of business; my students fled to points unknown around the country. I had no job, no income. Me and a couple hundred thousand other people.”

St. James is in his damaged dojo when a woman walks in and startles him so much, he's decked by a student. Twee Siu is the daughter of the last murder victim before Katrina hit. Her father was a friend of St. James, and she wants to hire the former cop to find out what happened. He is reluctant to take the case until Siu offers him $550 a day plus expenses and a $30,000 bonus if he finds out what happened to her father.

In “Storm Damage,” everyone has an ulterior motive and everyone is dirty, especially the police and Detective Sgt. Dice McCarty, who was St. James' nemesis when he was on the force. McCarty has since hooked up with St. James' ex-wife.

As St. James looks for answers, he wanders through a city that is as dark — and the characters as hard to pin down — as the floodwaters still swirling in many of the city's streets.

Finding out what happened isn't going to be easy. The body disappeared with the flood, and so did any evidence. That's not to say St. James won't find out a lot about his old friend, including a connection with the CIA.

By the time Mardi Gras hits the storm-torn streets, St. James is trying to not only solve a mystery, but also avoid a killer who's looking for him.

Kovacs has written a fast-paced, gritty novel in which no one is to be trusted and nothing is as it seems. His noir take on the thriller will hook readers and make residents of New Orleans glad that although things were bad in their city, they weren't as bad as Kovacs paints them.

J

This is so cool! Congratulations, Ed - you're getting lots of fabulous reviews!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ed - Thanks so much for visiting with us all week. I know the conditions for you have been far from ideal, with your extremely busy schedule plus the crazy time difference.

Do come back and keep us posted about any new releases, new covers or any other news you might have. It's been a fun week!

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

By Ed Kovacs

J

Thank you J, aka leisure_reader!

Wine and a newspaper sounds pretty good.  Where I am, I can get my hands on some reds from Moldovia that are drinkable, but that's the best I can say about them.

Awesome that STORM DAMAGE review ran in your local paper--thanks for sharing that.

Cheers,

Ed

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the pics,  being a writer and having been to Asia and traveled, what's you favorite exotic location?  Also what place captivated your imagination, and perhaps you thought you would write about it someday.    :smileyhappy:        Optic

Thanks for the Question, optic_I,

Well, Egypt really captivated me back in the early 1990s when I visited there after shooting a movie in Israel.  I knew I would write about it and did so in UNSEEN FORCES.

As to my favorite exotic location, that's a tough call.  Here's a very incomplete list:

Hakone, Japan

Cheju Island, South Korea

Ko Samui, Thailand

Luang Prabang, Laos

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Porte Allegre, Brazil

Cayo, Belize

Most Greek Islands (in fact, the entire Mediterranean!)

And since we haven't seen everything, we'll just have to keep traveling, eh?

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Ed - Thanks so much for visiting with us all week. I know the conditions for you have been far from ideal, with your extremely busy schedule plus the crazy time difference.

Do come back and keep us posted about any new releases, new covers or any other news you might have. It's been a fun week!

Becke,

Thanks for having me and for your hard work hosting this fabulous community service.  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Cheers,

Ed Kovacs

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EdKovacs wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the pics,  being a writer and having been to Asia and traveled, what's you favorite exotic location?  Also what place captivated your imagination, and perhaps you thought you would write about it someday.    :smileyhappy:        Optic

Thanks for the Question, optic_I,

Well, Egypt really captivated me back in the early 1990s when I visited there after shooting a movie in Israel.  I knew I would write about it and did so in UNSEEN FORCES.

As to my favorite exotic location, that's a tough call.  Here's a very incomplete list:

Hakone, Japan

Cheju Island, South Korea

Ko Samui, Thailand

Luang Prabang, Laos

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Porte Allegre, Brazil

Cayo, Belize

Most Greek Islands (in fact, the entire Mediterranean!)

And since we haven't seen everything, we'll just have to keep traveling, eh?

Oh great - I haven't been within 1000 miles of ANY of those places! Geesh.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EdKovacs wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Becke,

Thanks for having me and for your hard work hosting this fabulous community service.  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Cheers,

Ed Kovacs

Thanks, Ed - will you be coming home for Christma?

Author
EdKovacs
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

EdKovacs wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Becke,

Cheers,

Ed Kovacs

Becke,

Unfortunately, for the 6th year out of the last seven, I will be working on a security conract during the holidays.  It's not easy, but that's the way it goes.  I'm in a Muslim country, so there was no Thanksgiving dinner at the end of my 13.5 hour shift.  Not complaining, just suggesting that sometimes people don't know how much they really have to be thankful for.

OK, over and out!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Thanks for talking with us Ed,

Be safe and Merry Christmas ! 

I hope to see SIGHT UNSEEN  in e book for nook next year !    :smileyhappy:   Optic

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EdKovacs wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

EdKovacs wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Becke,

Cheers,

Ed Kovacs

Becke,

Unfortunately, for the 6th year out of the last seven, I will be working on a security conract during the holidays.  It's not easy, but that's the way it goes.  I'm in a Muslim country, so there was no Thanksgiving dinner at the end of my 13.5 hour shift.  Not complaining, just suggesting that sometimes people don't know how much they really have to be thankful for.

OK, over and out!

Ed - If you have time on Christmas Day, come back and spend some time with us. I probably won't be on the computer much that day, but I usually check in once or twice. We'll try to make it a more Christmasy holiday for you, if we can!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Oops. Sorry Ed !

I meant, I'd like to see UNSEEN FORCES in Nook Book. Sorry for the error.   :smileyhappy:

Optic