Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author EMILY ARSENAULT!

Wednesday's guest in our Month of Suspense & Thrillers is EMILY ARSENAULT!

Emily Arsenault

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author EMILY ARSENAULT!

BIO

I haven’t had a terribly interesting life, so I won’t share too many details. But the highlights include:

•    When I was a preschooler and a kindergartner, I had a lazy eye and I was Connecticut’s “Miss Prevent Blindness,” appearing on pamphlets and television urging parents to get their kids’ eyes checked. I wore an eye patch and clutched a blonde doll wearing a similar patch. I imagine it was all rather maudlin, but at the time I wouldn’t have known that word.

•    I wrote my first novel when I was in fifth grade. It was over a hundred pages and took me the whole school year to write. (It was about five girls at a summer camp. I’d never been to a summer camp, but had always wanted to attend one.) When I was all finished, I turned back to the first page, eager to read it all from the beginning. I was horrified at how bad it was.

•    At age thirteen, I got to go to a real sleepaway camp. It was nothing like the book I had written.

•    I studied philosophy in college. So did my husband. We met in a Hegel class, which is awfully romantic.

•    I worked as an editorial assistant at Merriam-Webster from 1998-2002, and got to help write definitions for their dictionaries.

•    My husband and I served in the Peace Corps together, working in rural South Africa. I miss Losasaneng, miss many of the people we met there, and dream about it often.

•    I am now working on my third novel. It is tentatively titled Just Someone I Used to Know, named after and old song Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton used to sing together.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Broken Teaglass  

The dusty files of a venerable book publisher . . . A hidden cache of coded clues . . . A story written by a phantom author . . . An unsolved murder in a gritty urban park—all collide memorably in Emily Arsenault’s magnificent debut, at once a teasing literary puzzle, an ingenious suspense novel, and an exploration of definitions: of words, of who we are, and the stories we choose to define us.

In the maze of cubicles at Samuelson Company, editors toil away in silence, studying the English language, poring over new expressions and newly coined words—all in preparation for the next, new edition of the Samuelson Dictionary. Among them is editorial assistant Billy Webb, just out of college, struggling to stay awake and appear competent. But there are a few distractions. His intriguing coworker, Mona Minot, may or may not be flirting with him. And he’s starting to sense something suspicious going on beneath this company’s academic facade.

hardcover edition

Mona has just made a startling discovery in the office files: a trove of puzzling quotations, all taken from the same book, “The Broken Teaglass.” Billy and Mona soon learn that no such book exists. And the quotations from it are far too long, twisting and bizarre for any dictionary. They read like a confessional, coyly hinting at a hidden identity, a secret liaison, a crime. As Billy and Mona ransack the office files, a chilling story begins to emerge: a story about a lonely young woman, a long-unsolved mystery, a moment of shattering violence. And as they piece together its fragments, the puzzle begins to take on bigger personal meaning for both of them, compelling them to redefine their notions of themselves and each other.

Charged with wit and intelligence, set against a sweetly cautious love story, The Broken Teaglass is a book that will delight lovers of words, lovers of mysteries, and fans of smart, funny, brilliantly inventive fiction.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

In Search of the Rose Notes  

“An emotionally complex and deeply satisfying read.” – Publishers Weekly (starred review)

At age eleven, Nora and Charlotte are the best of friends—until their teenager babysitter, Rose, disappears under mysterious circumstances. They decide to “investigate,” using paranormal theories and techniques they glean from a hand-me-down collection of Time-Life books. But their search goes nowhere, and leaves both girls distraught and angry with each other.

In her late twenties, Nora is drawn back her old neighborhood, and to Charlotte, when Rose’s bones are found. She was probably murdered, and Charlotte is adamant that they solve the crime. Nora—who was the last known person to see Rose alive—is forced to reconsider her memory of the events surrounding the disappearance, and her own troubled adolescence following those fateful days. And she’s not sure if she’s ready to face the secrets that begin to surface.

Told in alternating narratives from the past and present, this is a mystery about broken friendship and the unease of revisiting adolescent memory.

“In Search of the Rose Notes” feels like a beautifully written secret, whispered into the reader’s ear about the lives of two former best friends now tied together only by a mystery. This is a smart, creative and utterly charming novel.

– Alafair Burke, author of Long Gone and Angel’s Tip

“An enthralling, extremely well-written novel . . . a definite stay-up-all-nighter. I couldn’t rest until I found out what had happened to Rose. “

– Meg Cabot, author of Abandon and Overbite

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome EMILY ARSENAULT!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome Emily: I am currently reading IN SEARCH OF THE ROSE NOTES. I am only 50 pages into the book and it is already hard to put down. I was hoping to finish it today but I got an unexpected phone call to meet a friend for lunch. It was an absolutely beautiful day with no rain and low humidity so it was hard to say "no" especially with many unique shops in the same area. Needless to say, I hope to finish your book tomorrow! Thanks for visiting with us and I hope to check out THE BROKEN TEAGLASS soon - that book looks very interesting too!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Emily, your books sound intriguing and I'll have to checked into them. I can see my TBR pile will go into overflow.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome, Emily, to our friendly Mystery Forum. The Broken Teaglass sounds very intriguing, so like Maxcat,  I'm adding that to my TBR pile.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
Emily-Arsenault
0 Kudos

Thanks, Eadie! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Author
Emily-Arsenault
0 Kudos

And thanks, everyone, or the warm welcome.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Emily - Thanks for joining us! Your "author" tag should show up soon.

What are you working on now - have you already completed your next book?

Author
Emily-Arsenault
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke. My next novel isn't completed yet, but I'm working hard to get it finished for my November deadline. It's another "sort of" mystery, this time about a woman investigating the death of an old college friend of hers, who was a writer. The writer friend had written a great deal about women in country music--in particular, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and Dolly Parton--so there is a lot in the book about that topic. I've been having a lot of fun researching the lives and music of these ladies.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Emily-Arsenault wrote:

Thanks, Becke. My next novel isn't completed yet, but I'm working hard to get it finished for my November deadline. It's another "sort of" mystery, this time about a woman investigating the death of an old college friend of hers, who was a writer. The writer friend had written a great deal about women in country music--in particular, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and Dolly Parton--so there is a lot in the book about that topic. I've been having a lot of fun researching the lives and music of these ladies.

Emily:

Your next book sounds very interesting too! I love country music and I've been to The Grand Ole Opry and I love Loretta, Tammy and of course, Dolly! See, we are on a first name basis and I'm sure after all your research, it's first names only for you too!

Sounds great! Hope you meet your deadline and then we can order that one too!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Emily-Arsenault
0 Kudos

Eadie--Yes, at this stage, I definitely feel I'm on a first name basis with Lorettta, Tammy, and Dolly. I love them all!

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome Emily---Both of your books sound great, and needless to say, I've added them to my TBR list!  Your new book sounds great also, since I am a big Country Western fan also.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Emily-Arsenault wrote:

Ooh, this definitely sounds like a book I'll want to read! I hope you'll come back and tell us more when it's completed!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Emily -

Awhile back I asked friends who attended the Reader Appreciation Day at the West Chester, Ohio Barnes & Noble to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors. This is what they came up with:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) Do you have a favorite of your own books?

3) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

4) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

5) What do you do when you Really Should Be Writing? 

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Emily-Arsenault wrote:

Ooh, this definitely sounds like a book I'll want to read! I hope you'll come back and tell us more when it's completed!

I second that great idea!

Author
Emily-Arsenault
0 Kudos

Becke--

1) Sight and smell. I didn't realize I describe smell so often until a person interviewing me on the radio recently read me several smell-description passages from my book, and asked me to explain why I wrote that way. I think smell is used particularly often in my second book because the narrator is spending so much time revisiting places she hasn't been to since her childhood. And smell is, of course, very evocative of memories.

2) Since I only have two published books, it is hard to pick a favorite. I think Broken Teaglass is funnier, but I think In Search of the Rose Notes is more suspenseful and perhaps a little more disciplined, in terms of how I went about the writing. They each have their strengths. They are very different books. The second is much darker than the first.

3) I watch some mystery TV shows and movies. Lately my husband and I have been trying the PBS Foyle's War series on Netflix. We enjoy the characters.

4) That is a hard question. I have to admit I don't give this a great deal of thought. I will have to think this one and come back with some names later.

5) Funny you should ask that! Just a few days ago I deactivated my personal Facebook account because I felt it was looking at it too often when I should be writing. Lately, when I really should be writing, I've also been watching a lot of the Porter Wagoner Show and other 60s and 70s country music shows on Youtube. I know I can call a certain amount of this "research," but I think I exceeded the limit on that excuse many videos ago.