becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author HALLIE EPHRON!

Hallie_Ephron wrote:

ReadingPatti wrote:

Hallie_Ephron, Welcome, I looked at your books and they sound intriguing. I love the titles.

Do you get to choose your titles?

I look forward to reading your books.

ReadingPatti

Great question! I did for this book. But not the last one. Though my working title for this one was AVATAR which, for obviously reason, I had to jettison.

NEVER TELL A LIE started out life as BABY, BABY (two pregnant women, get it?) -- but the publisher felt it didn't sound enough like a suspense novel so we batted back and forth alternate titles and ended up with NEVER TELL A LIE which I love. Of course the LTMN movie version retitled it AND BABY WILL FALL. They did a great job with the adaptation, though the changed the ending and killed the dog. I'd never kill a dog (or let a baby fall) in my books.

The process of coming up with a book title fascinates me. Yep, I can see why AVATAR wouldn't work. I like both the movie title and the book title for your first book - I like your working title but I have to agree, I might not have instantly recognized it as suspense.

They killed the dog??? That's horrible! I think that's in the list of "rules for writers" - never kill off a pet!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie - What are you working on now? So many mystery authors are writing series books these days - is there a reason you have (so far) stayed with single titles? 

I should clarify - I love single titles, and I wonder if the preponderance of mystery series is more of a publishing trend than (necessarily) author choices.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Hallie:

I just finished your book, COME AND FIND ME. I read it in one sitting. It was very fast-paced and suspenseful. I love how your books flow one chapter into the next. I couldn't stop reading this very plot-twisting story! Loved it very much!

Come and Find Me

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The process of coming up with a book title fascinates me. Yep, I can see why AVATAR wouldn't work. I like both the movie title and the book title for your first book - I like your working title but I have to agree, I might not have instantly recognized it as suspense.

They killed the dog??? That's horrible! I think that's in the list of "rules for writers" - never kill off a pet!

I guess they didn't read the 'rules'! Maybe they're different for TV movies than for books - I know readers get more upset when writers kill off pets than they do when people die. I guess we all feel terrible when the victim is defenseless.

Loves suspense; Author of NEVER TELL A LIE and COME AND FIND ME.
Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Hallie:

I just finished your book, COME AND FIND ME. I read it in one sitting. It was very fast-paced and suspenseful. I love how your books flow one chapter into the next. I couldn't stop reading this very plot-twisting story! Loved it very much!

THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING TO HEAR!
Though it's a little daunting to find out it takes someone 4 hours to read what takes me a year and a half to write. Sigh.

Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hallie - What are you working on now? So many mystery authors are writing series books these days - is there a reason you have (so far) stayed with single titles? 

I should clarify - I love single titles, and I wonder if the preponderance of mystery series is more of a publishing trend than (necessarily) author choices.

I guess the ideas I feel more drawn right now to standalone ideas. I couldn't have tortured those characters in NEVER TELL A LIE any more than I did -- and COME AND FIND ME feels like it's just one story.

I did write a series of 5 novels -- the Dr. Peter Zak mystery series -- featuring a forensic neuropsychologist. I wrote them with a co-author and dear friend under the shared pseydonym G. H. Ephron. I liked it a lot, and maybe one day I'll write a series on my own. Who knows. Never say never.

Right now I'm working on another standalone. It's about a young woman and a very old woman and a house in the Bronx, set on the only bit of marsh that Robert Moses didn't manage to fill. I'm not even sure there is such a place, but there will be in this book!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie_Ephron wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I guess the ideas I feel more drawn right now to standalone ideas. I couldn't have tortured those characters in NEVER TELL A LIE any more than I did -- and COME AND FIND ME feels like it's just one story.

I did write a series of 5 novels -- the Dr. Peter Zak mystery series -- featuring a forensic neuropsychologist. I wrote them with a co-author and dear friend under the shared pseydonym G. H. Ephron. I liked it a lot, and maybe one day I'll write a series on my own. Who knows. Never say never.

Right now I'm working on another standalone. It's about a young woman and a very old woman and a house in the Bronx, set on the only bit of marsh that Robert Moses didn't manage to fill. I'm not even sure there is such a place, but there will be in this book!

I'm already intrigued - do you have a title or release date for this one?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie -

Awhile back I asked friends who attended the Reader Appreciation Day at the West Chester, Ohio Barnes & Noble to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors. This is what they came up with:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose? (Since NEVER TELL A LIE has already been cast and filmed, let's make this about casting your new book.)

Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Them ALL, of course. Because it's sensory detail that makes something feel really creepy. Smell, Touch (that roiling sensation in the stomach). And what is that ticking sound...?

Carol O'Connell's MALLORY'S ORACLE. ... Or Patricia Highsmith's THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY ... Or wait... Emma Donaghue's Room.

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

ACK! Don't know who Gerard Butler is. For me the comparison is between Castle and the Mentalist. I'm addicted to them both, I admit. But the hottest actors on a TV drama for me are, hands down, Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi on THE GOOD WIFE.

I do. I love the series that they run on public television. Most recently, LIFE ON MARS and ASHES TO ASHES and the Inspector Lewis series.

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose? (Since NEVER TELL A LIE has already been cast and filmed, let's make this about casting your new book.)

Diana in COME AND FIND ME -- Maybe Ellen Pompeo? Laura Linney (she can do anything)?

Wouldn't it be great if...??

Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

By the way, just wanted to steer folks to Jungle Red Writers where my blog sisters are the amazing and talented Jan Brogan, Roberta Isleib, Hank Phillippi Ryan Julia Spencer-Fleming, Rosemary Harris, Rhys Bowen, and Deborah Crombie.

(Roberta, writing as Lucy Burdette, has a NEW series featuring a food critic and set in Key West coming out soon.)

Lotsa great books to get into --

Slugfest (Dirty Business Series #4)

One Was a Soldier (Clare Fergusson Series #7)

Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy Series #10)

Drive Time (Charlotte McNally Series #4)  

deb

Necessary as Blood (Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James Series #13)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie_Ephron wrote:

By the way, just wanted to steer folks to Jungle Red Writers where my blog sisters are the amazing and talented Jan Brogan, Roberta Isleib, Hank Phillippi Ryan Julia Spencer-Fleming, Rosemary Harris, Rhys Bowen, and Deborah Crombie.

(Roberta, writing as Lucy Burdette, has a NEW series featuring a food critic and set in Key West coming out soon.)

Lotsa great books to get into --

Slugfest (Dirty Business Series #4)

One Was a Soldier (Clare Fergusson Series #7)

Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy Series #10)

Drive Time (Charlotte McNally Series #4)  

deb

Necessary as Blood (Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James Series #13)

I love this blog - I've been so busy lately, I've been neglecting my favorite places - I need to get back on track!

Rosemary and Julia have guest blogs here this week - I'm working on featuring all the Jungle Red ladies here! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie_Ephron wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Them ALL, of course. Because it's sensory detail that makes something feel really creepy. Smell, Touch (that roiling sensation in the stomach). And what is that ticking sound...?

Carol O'Connell's MALLORY'S ORACLE. ... Or Patricia Highsmith's THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY ... Or wait... Emma Donaghue's Room.

I'm a big fan of Carol O'Connell's - those are fascinating books!

ACK! Don't know who Gerard Butler is. For me the comparison is between Castle and the Mentalist. I'm addicted to them both, I admit. But the hottest actors on a TV drama for me are, hands down, Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi on THE GOOD WIFE.

My daughter is addicted to The Good Wife!

I do. I love the series that they run on public television. Most recently, LIFE ON MARS and ASHES TO ASHES and the Inspector Lewis series.

I LOVE Inspector Lewis - I like this series even better than Inspector Morse!

Diana in COME AND FIND ME -- Maybe Ellen Pompeo? Laura Linney (she can do anything)?

Oh - Laura Linney! She's marvelous!

Wouldn't it be great if...??

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie - Do you have any Barnes & Noble book signings scheduled? Will you be at any library events or conference book signings?

Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hallie - Do you have any Barnes & Noble book signings scheduled? Will you be at any library events or conference book signings?

Thanks for asking, Beckie!

I'll be at the Sacramento Bee Book Club Thursday, April 21.

And the Newburyport Literary Festival Friday April 29.

Melrose Library in Melrose, MA on May 3.

And June 21 at Baypath College's terrific day-long event for book groups:

“Are You a Bookie” at Baypath College, Longmeadow, MA.

June 21 “Are You a Bookie” at Baypath College, Longmeadow, MA. Hallie will give the keynote at this terrific event for book groups in Western Massachusetts.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm still kicking myself for leaving it too late to register for the Mad Anthony conference (they sold out). You were soooo close!

I have another question (sorry for bombarding you with them): Did growing up in a famous family impact you as a writer? I would think growing up with all those sisters would give you plenty of fodder for books. I'm one of three girls and my sister had three girls (I have one of each). I know around our house there was lots of (mostly friendly) competition between us, but we were always close. My sister insists girls are a lot harder to raise - I'm not so sure about that.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Hallie, I'm waiting your answer to Becke's question about your family dynamics.

I am a fan of your work and wanted to stop by and say hi and thanks for chatting with us.

Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I have another question (sorry for bombarding you with them): Did growing up in a famous family impact you as a writer? I would think growing up with all those sisters would give you plenty of fodder for books. I'm one of three girls and my sister had three girls (I have one of each). I know around our house there was lots of (mostly friendly) competition between us, but we were always close. My sister insists girls are a lot harder to raise - I'm not so sure about that.

(And thanks for the noodge, Debbie -- maybe it was a Freudian slip that this question got past me!)

Of course, growing up in a family of writers made a huge difference. First of all, the house was awash in books. We read, my mother even recited poetry at the dinner table and I learned a lot by heart and coudn't help but develop a love of words--the well turned phrase is a thing of beauty.

Everyone's growing up experiences are fodder for fiction, and mine are no exception. But my sisters have ALL already rehashed our family to death. I'm not sure what I could add, though I do have a half-finished novel about growing in Beverly Hills that one day I'll resurrect. Maybe. Or maybe not.

The sisters in COME AND FIND ME are definitely not me and any of my sisters. If anything, I was drawing more on the relationship my daughters have to one another, and even then not that much. And Diana's mother is no one I've ever met!

The wonderful thing that coming from a writing family gave me was the courage to TRY - I figured, I have the same genes they do, so why not try? But it wasn't unti lI was old enough to stop worrying about failing that I did.

Frequent Contributor
Mysterylover1138
0 Kudos

Hallie

I am super excited to add you to my TBR pile, I loved the little excerpts that Becke put up and now I can't wait to read your novels.  

Sorry I was late in getting to speak to you I have been on vacation and now it seems the fun is over :smileysad:

Just a quick question:  If give one piece of knowledge that you learned since you began that you didn't know when you first started out to an aspiring author what would it be?

Hope you have a great Friday.

L

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Hi Hallie and Welcome

Although I will admit, I have not read your books, but there is still time and an evergrowing TBR pile. 

How do you keep your mind fresh-ideas, topics for books, etc?  I can only imagine what a writer's mind has to go through to get beyond "It was a dark and stormy night".  I read and wonder with all of the different authors that Becke has introduced me to how I will ever get through reading something by every one. 

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt