Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author HALLIE EPHRON!

Hallie_Ephron wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I have another question (sorry for bombarding you with them): Did growing up in a famous family impact you as a writer? I would think growing up with all those sisters would give you plenty of fodder for books. I'm one of three girls and my sister had three girls (I have one of each). I know around our house there was lots of (mostly friendly) competition between us, but we were always close. My sister insists girls are a lot harder to raise - I'm not so sure about that.

(And thanks for the noodge, Debbie -- maybe it was a Freudian slip that this question got past me!)

Of course, growing up in a family of writers made a huge difference. First of all, the house was awash in books. We read, my mother even recited poetry at the dinner table and I learned a lot by heart and coudn't help but develop a love of words--the well turned phrase is a thing of beauty.

Everyone's growing up experiences are fodder for fiction, and mine are no exception. But my sisters have ALL already rehashed our family to death. I'm not sure what I could add, though I do have a half-finished novel about growing in Beverly Hills that one day I'll resurrect. Maybe. Or maybe not.

The sisters in COME AND FIND ME are definitely not me and any of my sisters. If anything, I was drawing more on the relationship my daughters have to one another, and even then not that much. And Diana's mother is no one I've ever met!

The wonderful thing that coming from a writing family gave me was the courage to TRY - I figured, I have the same genes they do, so why not try? But it wasn't unti lI was old enough to stop worrying about failing that I did.

Hallie - My brother's wife comes from a very talented family. Her brother has two Pulitzers to his name. I feel VERY intimidated having a "real" writer in the family. You definitely have talent in your genes, but I imagine there are good and bad aspects to that. I'm very glad you had the courage to write - keep those books coming!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie - Thank you so much for visiting with us this week! This is "your" thread now, so you're welcome to come back and post updates any time you like. I hope you'll come back and visit again soon!

Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

Mysterylover1138 wrote:

Hallie

Just a quick question:  If give one piece of knowledge that you learned since you began that you didn't know when you first started out to an aspiring author what would it be?

Hi, L!

Tough question - I've learned so many things, and I guess that a writer's best virtue is patience and perseverance... I'm sure you've heard that.

On Jungle Red Laura Alden, whose debut novel MURDER AT THE PTA is nominated for an Agatha Award, just guest blogged. She says it eloquently.

She'd written for 10 years straight, had 6 unpublished novels and "was heartily sick of rejection after rejection after rejection. Maybe I really couldn’t write. Maybe I’d been wasting my time all those years. Maybe I should take up something less painful, like learning to swallow fire.

"Then came the last straw. In January 2009, in the middle of querying Novel #6, I was laid off from my job. I stopped querying, stopped writing, stopped everything but hunting for work. That’s when Lorraine Bartlett nudged me about talking to her agent.

"Well, what the heck, I figured. If someone’s looking for a writer to write a series, why not me?

"Six months later, I had a signed contract for three books. Six months after that, I was lucky enough to find a wonderful new job. Six months after that, Murder at the PTA was published, and now I’m an Agatha nominee. And to think I was almost ready to quit writing altogether. It’s a weird, weird world."

It took me 5 years and 2 unpublished books to finally get published, but it doesn't get easier and it certainly doesn't get faster. Go figure.

Loves suspense; Author of NEVER TELL A LIE and COME AND FIND ME.
Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hallie - Thank you so much for visiting with us this week! This is "your" thread now, so you're welcome to come back and post updates any time you like. I hope you'll come back and visit again soon!

Oh, Becke! LOVE the bouquet -- Thanks so much for having me!

A great friend Ellen Crosby, author of The Viognier Vendetta (Wine Country Mystery Series #5)  sent me this photo of the B&N front table (!) in Reston VA - how cool is that?

Come and Find Me in Reston, VA, B&N

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie_Ephron wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Oh, Becke! LOVE the bouquet -- Thanks so much for having me!

A great friend Ellen Crosby, author of The Viognier Vendetta (Wine Country Mystery Series #5)  sent me this photo of the B&N front table (!) in Reston VA - how cool is that?

Come and Find Me in Reston, VA, B&N

I love it! Just looking at that display has me reaching for my credit card...

Reader
Bestobooks
0 Kudos

Sorry that I missed Ms. Ephron when she was guest-blogging here :smileysad:

I hadn't joined the Mystery Forum yet, though I have sampled a wee bit of her writing on my Nook and was going to be ordering her last two novels soon (really, honestly, I was, and now I will!)

The style of her writing is right up my alley.  I read all her entries though here and will also be checking out the Jungle Red Writers blog to make the acquaintance of the other authors there.

And thanks Becke, for organizing such an interesting forum for lovers of suspense such as myself!

Rae
Best O' Books
http://www.thebestobooks.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bestobooks wrote:

I hadn't joined the Mystery Forum yet, though I have sampled a wee bit of her writing on my Nook and was going to be ordering her last two novels soon (really, honestly, I was, and now I will!)

The style of her writing is right up my alley.  I read all her entries though here and will also be checking out the Jungle Red Writers blog to make the acquaintance of the other authors there.

And thanks Becke, for organizing such an interesting forum for lovers of suspense such as myself!

You know, a lot of our guest authors sign up to get automatic notifications when new comments are posted. If you ever come across a thread for an author who has visited with us, go ahead and post a comment. That will "reactivate" the thread and the author may come back and respond to you.

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

Bestobooks wrote:

Add my apologies to the mix!  I don't know what happened to last week; it's all a blur! 

Some interesting stories here; love the questions about family.  I don't have sisters, only brothers.

I'll add my thanks to Becke and Ms. Ephron as well!!!

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

Bestobooks wrote:

Thanks, Rae! Hoping you like them...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bestobooks wrote:

I don't know how I missed this earlier - thanks so much for joining us!