Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author HALLIE EPHRON!

I had the pleasure of meeting HALLIE EPHRON at Bouchercon in 2009. I'm very excited to welcome Hallie as our featured author this week!

Photo by Lynne Wayne

Hallie Ephron

Hallie Ephron is an award-winning mystery reviewer for theBoston Globe. She is the author of Never Tell a Lie, which was a finalist for the Mary Higgins Clark Award and was made into the film And Baby Will Fall for the Lifetime Movie Network, and Writing and Selling Your Mystery, which was nominated for both an Edgar and an Anthony Award. Ephron lives near Boston, Massachusetts.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author HALLIE EPHRON!

alt

Hallie's website is here: http://hallieephron.com/

Hallie's Bio:

Writer, book reviewer, teacher…

Hallie Ephron  grew up in Hollywood in a family of writers. Her parents were screenwriters Henry and Phoebe Ephron who wrote such classics as “Desk Set” and “Carousel.” Hallie grew up in a house filled with books, the third of four sisters (Nora, Delia, and Amy) all competing to be heard.

It was a good training ground for a writer, but Hallie’s first love has always been teaching. She taught elementary school, then at the college level, then in corporations. She took her time getting around to trying her hand at writing fiction. She says her genes gave her the courage to try.

She still  loves to teach and often gives writing workshops, including the annual retreat, Seascape: Escape to Write, where she teaches an intensive weekend workshop with authors Roberta Isleib and S. W. Hubbard.

Hallie wrote her first mystery novel (Amnesia) with a good friend, neuropsychologist Donald Davidoff, and together they penned a series of five “Dr. Peter Zak” mystery novels for St. Martin’s Minotaur under the shared pen name G. H. Ephron.

She made a splash writing solo when she turned to psychological suspense. Never Tell a Lie was published by HarperCollins in 2009. Publishers Weekly gave the novel a starred review and called it “stunning” and a “deliciously creepy tale of obsession.” It has been translated into 7 languages and was nominated for multiple awards, including the Mary Higgins Clark Award. It won the David Award for best mystery of 2009. Never Tell a Lie was adapted for film as And Baby Will Fall for the Lifetime Movie Network 

Hallie’s new novel, Come and Find Metells the story of a recluse who works and lives online and must brave the “real world” when her sister goes missing. Booklist calls it “A suspenseful tale of high-tech skulduggery that even low-tech readers will appreciate.”

Hallie combined writing talent with a love of teaching in Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock ‘Em Dead with Style (Writers Digest Books). The book received rave reviews and was nominated for Edgar and for Anthony awards. She also wrote The

Everything Guide to Writing Your First Novel.

Hallie is also is an award-winning book reviewer for the Boston Globe where her column runs every other month. She lives near Boston with her husband and has two wonderful daughters.

Books by Hallie Ephron 

• Come and Find Me (Wm. Morrow, March, 2011)
  • Never Tell a Lie (Wm. Morrow, 2009)
  • The Bibliophile’s Devotional (Adams Media, 2010)
  • 1001 Books for Every Mood (Adams Media, 2008)
  • The Everything Guide to Writing Your First Novel (Adams Media, December, 2010)
  • Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock ‘Em Dead with Style (Writers Digest Books, 2005)

And the Dr. Peter Zak mystery series by G. H. Ephron

• Amnesia (St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2000)
  • Addiction (St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2001)
  • Delusion (St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2002)
  • Obsessed (St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2003)
  • Guilt (St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2005)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

“And Baby Will Fall” Novelist Sees Characters Brought to Life

by Hallie Ephron

Years ago, if you’d told me I was going to write a novel (“Never Tell a Lie”) that would be turned into a movie (“And Baby Will Fall”) for the Lifetime Movie Network, I’d have said, “No way.” I’m not a writer. Sure, I come from a Hollywood family with parents who were screenwriters (“Carousel,” “The Desk Set”), and all three of my sisters have written novels and screenplays. But I was always “the one who didn’t write.” 

I was well into my forties when I gave in to my genes and started writing fiction. As I wrote “Never Tell a Lie,” I envisioned every scene cinematically. My camera was the narrator, Ivy Rose, a young woman who is days away from giving birth. I tried to channel the feelings of vulnerability I’d had when I was pregnant with my first child. Like Ivy, I’d had a career and suddenly I was at home, a stranger in my own neighborhood, as I waited for the baby to “drop.” Like her, I had endless nightmares that something would go wrong. 

Ivy Rose (played by Anastasia Griffith) has even more to be worried about. She’s had a series of miscarriages, so she knows how easily things can go wrong. She depends utterly on her husband, David (played by Brendan Fehr), for emotional support. Melinda White (played by Clea Duvall) threatens to upset their dream when she shows up at their yard sale and literally disappears inside their house. 

Ivy, David and Melinda went to high school together. I knew kids just like each of them. David was one of the popular kids — star quarterback and an all-around good guy who still takes his good looks and talent for granted. Ivy wasn’t popular or unpopular; she just had her own circle of friends and got along. If she’d been active in the drama club, she’d have painted scenery, not starred in the plays. Melinda was in a class by herself. She was overweight, odd-looking, painfully awkward and isolated — the perfect victim. 

Seeing my characters brought to life on the screen was incredible. Even though I’d envisioned Ivy with long black hair, Anastasia Griffith absolutely captures her every-woman-ness, her vulnerability, her spunk and smarts. She’s never a victim, even though life keeps dealing her curveballs. Brendan Fehr is pitch-perfect bewildered as the situation drives him into a protective crouch. Even though he’s caught in a net of lies, he’s just as I envisioned, a fundamentally decent man who adores his wife. 

And Melinda. I realized that she’d be the hardest character to play, because she’s so complicated. She’s a victim, and yet she’s not. Melinda was most transformed in the film adaptation, and Clea Duvall is brilliant — I won’t say more for fear of giving away the plot twists. 

People have asked me if I’d write another book featuring Ivy Rose. My answer is always an emphatic “No!” I put her through the wringer. A few years later, I see Ivy and David still married. They’d have two kids. She’d be a working mom. His landscape business would be thriving. They’d be living the American dream — but the blind trust they once shared would be gone, and they’d know better than to take any of their good fortune for granted.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

From Wikipedia: Hallie Ephron is the author of six acclaimed novels – her latest, Never Tell a Lie, is a psychological suspense novel set in suburban Boston. It is being made into a Lifetime/TV movie starring Anastasia GriffithBrendan Fehr, and Clea Duvall. It was a finalist for the Mary Higgins Clark Award and won the David Award for Best Novel of 2009.

See the trailer for AND BABY WILL FALL here: http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/and-baby-will-fall/video/previews/and-baby-will-fall-preview

And read more about it here: http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/and-baby-will-fall

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Come and Find Me 

Synopsis

Computer security expert and reformed hacker Diana Highsmith has not ventured beyond her home for more than a year—not since that fateful climbing vacation in Switzerland took Daniel's life. Haunted by the sound of Daniel's cries echoing across the gorge as he fell, Diana cannot stop thinking about the life they'll never have—grief that has transformed her into a recluse.

Diana doesn't have to shut herself off com­pletely from the world, though; she and Daniel's best friend run a thriving Internet security company. From her home, in her pajamas, Diana assesses security breaches, both potential and real, and offers clients a way to protect themselves from hackers—the kind of disruptions Diana herself used to create. Once Diana has a game plan she is able to meet with clients in OtherWorld, an Internet-based platform, using Nadia, an avatar she created for herself. Diana knows she'll have to rejoin the "real world" eventually, but right now a few steps from her door each morning is all she can handle.

When Diana's sister goes missing, however, she is forced to do the impossible: brave both the outside world and her own personal demons to find her sister. As one step outside leads to another, Diana soon discovers that she is following a trail fraught with danger—and uncovering a web of deceit and betrayal, both online and real-life, that threatens not only her sister's life, but her own.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie blogs here - you'll recognise a lot of the authors!

http://www.jungleredwriters.com/

Hallie is on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1103005367

Hallie Ephron

Here's a picture I took of Hallie and Roberta Isleib at Bouchercon in 2009:

Boucher6.jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love this picture of Hallie and Hank Phillippi Ryan (Hallie - I stole this from your Facebook page. Hope you don't mind!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Awhile ago I posted information about the MAD ANTHONY conference in Hamilton, Ohio - practically in my backyard. Apparently I'm a horrible multitasker, because with all my preparations for my New Mexico vacation and Left Coast Crime, etc., I totally forgot to register for Mad Anthony. By the time I got my act together, they'd completely sold out!

This was especially frustrating since Hallie was the keynote speaker! Next year I'm going to register well ahead of time, but this year I'll have to pass on the information secondhand:

Mad Anthony Writers Conference

Saturday's Keynote Speaker

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please give a huge welcome to HALLIE EPHRON!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hello Ms. Ephron! Thanks for joining us!:smileyvery-happy:

New User
booksfan
0 Kudos

very nice: This is also a awesome book you won't be able to put it down!! 

Tremendous thriller: Very powerful and dynamic read Treacherous "The Beginning"
Don't be left out get your copy today @: www.treacherousthebook.com

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Hallie:

I read your book NEVER TELL A LIE last week. I really enjoyed it very much and found it to be a real page-turner with lots of twists. It was a pretty scary story that seemed so believable. That made the book unable to be put down until you find out what happens!

I am looking forward to reading COME AND FIND ME and your other books. Thanks for a great read and keep on writing!

Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Hallie_Ephron
0 Kudos

WOW! I'm just back from 6 days of travel (yesterday began at 4 AM and ended at midnight, thank the good lord, at home!) and this is such a refreshing way to start the week!

Becke you are SUCH a generous host! And thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Hi, Tigerbear! Hey, back atcah Booksfan. Edie - thanks for the kind words!!

I confess I felt I was taking a risk writing a book that takes place partly in cyberspace, in a "world" I didn't even know existed where you could meet friends, work, shop, teleport, and even climb virtual Alps. And still have the book feel like a suspenseful woman's fiction, part mystery and part thriller -- a story of a woman who has to leave home to find herself. But hey, I've always been a big fan of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, and I love the idea of that journey that circles you back to the start.

Looking forward to more conversation!

If you're near Milton, MA come say HI at the Milton Library Wednesday at 7. Or in Sacramento I'd love to see you at the Sac Bee Book Group 4/21 - I'm thrilled to be the featured author!

Loves suspense; Author of NEVER TELL A LIE and COME AND FIND ME.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Hallie! I've been frantically trying to join you but I've had some problems getting signed in.

I loved NEVER TELL A LIE - read it in one sitting, because I couldn't put it down. I've got COME FIND ME on order, but my copy hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping it gets here today.

I'm soooo sorry I missed you at Mad Anthony! I should have registered the first time I shared the information about it here. I've asked to be put on their mailing list so I can sign up before they sell out next year. Was this a one-time thing for you, or have you attended Mad Anthony before? What was the topic of your keynote speech? I've been checking YouTube to see if anyone posts a video of it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hallie's got a very full event schedule - you can check it out here to see if she'll be in your area:

http://hallieephron.com/events/

Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

Hello Becke, all and blog sistah Hallie,

Although we're both on Jungle Red the last time I saw Hallie was last month when she gave a terrific presentation at MWANY's monthly dinner - if you ever have a chance to hear Hallie speak, run, don't walk. Not only is she a terrific writer she's wonderful speaker. I'm also happy to report that her charming husband doesn't really have fangs - that was a pic from last fall's New England Crimebake featuring Guest of Honor Charlaine Harris - so a lot of us got into vampire mode!

Can't wait to read Come and Find Me - if it's half as good as Never Tell a Lie they'll be casting the movie any day now...

Rosemary

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.