Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author JANET BOLIN!!!

I am VERY excited to welcome debut author JANET BOLIN to B&N's Mystery forum! I've been waiting ages for Janet's book to come out so I could feature her here. I know you're going to enjoy visiting with her!

Berkley Prime Crime

Threadville has everything - a fabric store, yarn shop, notions store, quilting boutique, and Willow Vanderling's brand new shop, In Stitches, a hit with tourists eager to learn embroidering in the latest way, with software and machines.

But when the village's bullying zoning commissioner picks a fight with Willow and turns up dead in Willow's yard, the close-knit community starts unraveling at the seams.

Willow must stitch together clues and find the real murderer, or the next thing she embroiders may be an orange prison jumpsuit...

In stores June 7, 2011

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JANET BOLIN!!!

MAYBE IT'S ALL ABOUT HOBBIES...

I was about seven, and for years (!), I'd been offering really helpful suggestions about the clothes my mother designed and sewed. Now I was going to make my own skirt.

At the fabric shop, I ran my fingers along each bolt of cloth, probably about sixteen times. My mother didn't mind. She was doing the same thing. Finally, after much indecision and heavy consultation, I chose a navy blue cotton broadcloth with a red pin stripe.

Back home, under my mother's close supervision, I cut out a couple of large rectangles and a strip for the waistband. Using my mother's old black Singer, I carefully stitched the rectangles into a tube, then gathered the tube to the waistband. I made a buttonhole and sewed on a big red button. We folded a deep hem, and my mother, whose ability to stitch a straight line was far superior to mine, sewed the hem with her machine. For the finishing touch, she showed me how to wind red embroidery floss under one machine stitch and over the next.

I had made my own skirt and embroidered it, too. I was hooked.

I also loved reading. I asked where books came from. People wrote them? Wow! I knew what I wanted to do when I grew up.

Whether I grew up or not is debatable, but now I'm writing books in which my main character solves crimes. She also embroiders the way I do now, with sewing and embroidery machines.

What could be better?

Janet

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You can find Janet on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Janet-Bolin/267325191115

And on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/JanetBolin

And look what our friend AVERY AAMES just tweeted:

AveryAames Author @JanetBolin shares mozzarella cheese pancake recipe. Yum. Http://www.mysteryloverskitchen.com

Uh oh - looking at Janet's recent tweets, sounds like she's had a run-in with some poison ivy:

"Memo to self: stay out of poison ivy, and if you inadvertently touch it, wash it off immediately. Itch, itch . . ."

Janet also blogs at KILLER CHARACTERS: http://www.killercharacters.com/

Killer Characters

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ELDERBERRY BAY GETS A NEW NAME

On the banks of the Elderberry River

Elderberry Bay is on the shore of Lake Erie at the mouth of the Elderberry River. With the lake to the north, a state forest to the east, and gentle farmland to the west and the south, the quaint Pennsylvania village is rich with a diversity of flora and fauna and incredible summer sunrises and sunsets. The village's sand beach is uncrowded and pristine.

Many of Elderberry Bay's beautiful old Victorian and Arts and Crafts buildings have been restored and now house boutiques catering
 to fabriholics, quilters, seamstresses, knitters, crocheters, and everybody else who likes to create with fiber and textiles. Customers flock to Elderberry Bay to browse, take courses, find inspiration, and spend money. Elderberry Bay has gained a new prosperity, a fresh look, and best of all, a nickname--Threadville.

The latest shop in Threadville is Willow Vanderling's In Stitches. Willow 
uses her camera, computer and sewing machine to create embroidery designs. Some clients download the designs. Others buy them already stitched onto fabrics, linens, and clothing. Willow also sells embroidery machines and supplies, and she teaches her students how to embellish their projects with machine embroidery.

However, not all of the residents of Elderberry Bay appreciate having their village overrun by busloads of women wielding charge cards and showing off wardrobes of wearable art.  With more undercurrents swirling around the people of Elderberry Baythan in Lake Erie and the Elderberry River combined, murder finds its way into Threadville… 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bald Eagle fishing Lake Erie

Pumpkins ready for harvest

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tally-Ho and Sally-Forth

Photos by Bruce and Claire Bolin

becke_davis
0 Kudos

If you have an embroidery machine and would like the file for this design - free! - please email Willow@ThreadvilleMysteries.com . Cut and paste the address if necessary. Be sure to tell her which file format you'd prefer (some formats may not be available). She'll email the design to you in an attachment.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

June 6 - 12, 2011 - 
Chat with me at the Barnes and Noble Mystery Book Club

June 7, 2011 - 
DIRE THREADS will be in stores! 

June 7, 2011 - 
Read and comment about my guest post at the BookEnds Blog

June 10, 2011 - 
I'll be a guest on 
Lori's Reading Corner

June 13, 2011 3 - 4 PM O
verwhelm me with questions at Berkley Prime Crime's facebook page, The Crime Scene 

June 13, 2011 9 - 10 PM - Live chat with me and other Berkley Prime Crime authors at the Writerspace Reader's Chat Room 

June 16, 2011 - Reading with other authors at the Toronto Sisters in Crime meeting, The Faculty Club, University of Toronto, 41 Willcocks Street, Toronto, Ontario. 7 - 9 PM. Non-members $5.00. Informal dinner in the pub downstairs beginning around 6.

June 22, 2011 - 
I'll be visiting Dollycas's Thoughts

Watch for more events, including interviews with:

The Book Resort

Mary Buckham

Suspense Magazine

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery Series)  

Willow Vanderling wants to leave her New York City life behind and has joined good friend Haylee in tour bus destination town Threadville. Nicknamed for the abundance of fiber art and fabric stores, Elderberry Bay, PA, looks like a perfect setting for Willow's new machine embroidery shop. And it is, until a powerful bully from the village is found dead in Willow's backyard, and she was the last one to wish him dead!

Being the newest shopkeeper in town, Willow has no way to figure out her allies, initially. But as she and Haylee sleuth, they learn about the village's dark secrets. As expected, all hands are on deck to solve this whodunit, including a loyal posse of tour bus gals.

VERDICT With a winning cast of characters, Bolin should be able to stitch together quite a series for Willow and her fellow shopkeepers. Certain to appeal to Lorna Barrett's "Booktown Mystery" readers. Embroidery project included.

Library Journal

becke_davis
0 Kudos

FROM DIRE THREADS by JANET BOLIN...

Photo by Bruce Bolin

The sky in the south brightened from pale apricot to delicate azure. The road ran along bluffs above Lake Erie, covered with ice resembling a quilt stitched together from patches of peach, periwinkle, and lime. I parked again and got out. Some of the photos I took showed the lake as if no human had ever touched it, but when I aimed the camera in another direction, I captured images of ice fishing huts dotted over the frozen bay. Smoke swirled from the chimney of one. An ATV was parked beside it.

Boom!

I dove to the ground beside the driver’s door. Had the murderer followed me out of the village to take potshots at me?

The noise rocketed out onto the lake, too prolonged for a gunshot. The thick lake ice must have developed a sudden, and very long, crack.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please give JANET BOLIN a big B&N welcome!

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Thanks for the huge welcome, Becke! I'm thrilled and honored to be here. Having a book published has been my lifelong dream, so now that it's finally happening, I feel like I'm still in that dream. The book will be in stores officially tomorrow, but I had a launch party Saturday night, and got to sign books with the special signing pen friends gave me. It's finally beginning to sink in that my writing (well, some of it) actually ended up as a book.

Janet

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Janet:

Your new book, DIRE THREADS, looks very interesting! I'll definitely be reading this one! 

I see you are from PA near Erie. I'm from PA but on the other side of the state, closer to Allentown. I love the new convention center on Lake Erie. PA Kiwanis was the first service club to book the new Erie convention center and we got a very good discount by booking before it opened.

Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Hi, Eadie,

My character, Willow, lives near Erie. I was born and raised near Pittsburgh, and my parents spent their last years near Erie, but I live on the other side of Lake Erie, in rural Ontario. When conditions are right at night, I can see lights from Erie. Lake Erie is often unfairly maligned. It's a beautiful area, all around the lake.

Janet

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JanetBolin wrote:

Hi, Eadie,

My character, Willow, lives near Erie. I was born and raised near Pittsburgh, and my parents spent their last years near Erie, but I live on the other side of Lake Erie, in rural Ontario. When conditions are right at night, I can see lights from Erie. Lake Erie is often unfairly maligned. It's a beautiful area, all around the lake.

Janet

Sorry about that, I just assumed that you were in or near Erie since you are writing about Lake Erie! 

Do you get as much lake-effect snow as Erie in Ontario? I know we visited Erie in the winter and it was amazing how one part got 20 inches of snow and then you drive 15 or 20 mins. away and there is only a couple of inches. Drive a little further and you find 20 inches again. I guess it depends on which way the wind is blowing. Anyway, it is beautiful country in that area!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Not a problem - I've certainly spent time in the area. Here on the north shore, the snow usually blows somewhere else, like to Erie or Buffalo.The eastern shores of the Great Lakes usually get the worst hits. And then there's Syracuse, which supposedly gets even more snow than Buffalo.

Janet

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JanetBolin wrote:

Not a problem - I've certainly spent time in the area. Here on the north shore, the snow usually blows somewhere else, like to Erie or Buffalo.The eastern shores of the Great Lakes usually get the worst hits. And then there's Syracuse, which supposedly gets even more snow than Buffalo.

Janet

Janet:

I know all about Syracuse - my sister used to live there! It snows practically every day from November thru March and is cloudy most of the time. My sister said that the radio announcer would say, "Get your sunglasses ready, the sun's coming out today!" Living in Syracuse could cause major cabin fever!

When I was a kid living in Philadelphia, my best friend's father was a fireman, painter and tailor. He taught us how to sew. We made black watch plaid slacks, jacket and skirt. He said that we did a good job matching the plaids. Of course, he helped us lay out the pattern! Well, we thought we were the 'cat's meow' and how could you miss us with all that plaid going on! I love to sew but I get a little OCD because once I start a project, I will stay up all night sewing until it's done.

That's why I know I will love your series and I will probably stay up all night reading it! Best of luck with it!

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Eadie, I love your story about the plaid. Matching paids is not easy, and I tend to avoid them for that reason. Those must have been some outfits. How lucky you were to have a tailor teach you how to sew! A tailor, fireman, and painter - that's quite a combination. Firefighting will appear in the second book in the Threadville series.

Willow's best friend, Haylee, is a tailor (and will participate in the firefighting when we get to that), and all of the Threadville fabric art store owners make their own clothes.

If you do stay up all night reading DIRE THREADS, get some rest before trying to match plaids <g>.

Janet

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome, Janet, to our mystery forum.

I love the cover of your book--TWO first rate puns, no less. One of my English Lit profs told us that  the pun is either the highest or the lowest form of humor, and for me, it's always been the former.

The cover on your book is really lovely, too, which brings me to my  first question: Did you get to select the artwork for your book, or was that primarily an editorial decision?

Second, Willow is kind of an unusual name for a character(that is, if you are not the female  progeny of Will Smith). Did you consciously choose that name for a reason, or did the character appear  to you with that name already chosen?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Hi, Fricka, and thanks for the welcome.

Pun-haters might have a problem with cozies and cozy titles! I've always loved puns, although I was told by a high school English teacher that they were the lowest form of humor. I don't remember what, if anything, she considered the highest (or even a good) form of humor. So I stuck with puns <g>. I was very pleased that Berkley kept the title I suggested.

The artwork for the book is an editorial/art department/marketing decision. I was asked for ideas, and they incorporated many of them. I love what they came up with and can hardly wait to see what will be next.

I named Willow after a cottage we once owned on the Susquehanna in New York. I loved that place. I thought it would be fun to give someone a name she would have to live up to, so I let her be tall and thin.

I also put the cottage in DIRE THREADS, and since I'd christened my protagonist Willow, I had give the cottage in the book a new name! The original cottage was painted blue, so the cottage became Blueberry Cottage.

I suppose that not many characters get named after cottages. Willow Cottage must have been named after a tree, but all that was left of the tree in our time was a stump with the most amazing mosses growing on it. We had elderberry bushes on that property, too, and we had lots of elderberries near Pittsburgh when I was a kid, so I went for more berries and named the village Elderberry Bay. But lots of people now call it Threadville, and who can blame them?

Janet