Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JANET BOLIN!!!

JanetBolin wrote:

Not a problem - I've certainly spent time in the area. Here on the north shore, the snow usually blows somewhere else, like to Erie or Buffalo.The eastern shores of the Great Lakes usually get the worst hits. And then there's Syracuse, which supposedly gets even more snow than Buffalo.

Janet

Hi Janet! I grew up in Chicago, where snow can be pretty heavy, but I always heard "It may be bad here, but at least we don't get as much snow as Buffalo!" Then I visited the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where they had snow markers reaching way above my head. Now I wonder if the UP might get even more snow than Buffalo!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Welcome, Janet, to our mystery forum.

I love the cover of your book--TWO first rate puns, no less. One of my English Lit profs told us that  the pun is either the highest or the lowest form of humor, and for me, it's always been the former.

The cover on your book is really lovely, too, which brings me to my  first question: Did you get to select the artwork for your book, or was that primarily an editorial decision?

Second, Willow is kind of an unusual name for a character(that is, if you are not the female  progeny of Will Smith). Did you consciously choose that name for a reason, or did the character appear  to you with that name already chosen?

Isn't it a fabulous cover? My parents were always pointing out puns to me when I was a kid. Now I have a fondness for them, too!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response, Janet.

NOW I understand better my attraction to cozies-- they use a lot of punning titles, which I love.

I guess Willow is lucky that you named her after a tree, basically(or after a cottage named for a tree, which is close to the same thing, I guess). It's kind of funny to think you could have left the name of the cottage you had in mind intact, and named your heroine Blueberry or Elderberry. Thankfully, not many mothers(or book authors, either) are so heartless as to leave their daughter with that kind of albatross hanging over her head, though of course she could  have been nicknamed "Berry" for short. Heee heee!

BTW, those are some lovely photos you shared that were taken by members of the Bolin family.

In that one shot, are those wolves, or dogs overlooking the bay? My first thought was wolves, but then I also thought of Malamutes or Siberian Huskies, or other members of the Spitz family of dogs who look a lot like wolves, except of course for the tails. Couldn't see the tails in the photo, so that's why I'm wondering.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Becke, I think I've seen some of those snow markers in the U.P. Entire houses must be buried at times. And I've heard that Syracuse gets more than Buffalo, but residents of Buffalo might want to argue about that.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Janet - Would you share your "call" story with us (how you got the news you'd sold your book)?

Also, what's coming up next in Threadville? Can you tell us anything about the second book or is it too soon to say?

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

What a great cover!!  I love the design!

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Or I could have shortened her name to Elder or Blue . . . Those would be fun names to have. Berry would be a cute name, though.

Our dogs, who are the models for Sally-Forth and Tally-Ho in my novels, are definitely part border collie and part something else, something(s) bigger. The dogs looking over the bay are the same dogs as in the other pictures, but in that case the dogs were holding their ears up because the ice was rubbing together, making sounds that sounded like dogs barking. They really wondered about that. I wrote that icy lake scene before the photo presented itself! I was quite amazed.

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Becke, my call was really exciting. I suppose they all are, but I was in the Poconos on my way to the Malice Domestic Conference in 2009 when I received a message to call my agent. I pulled into a gas station and phoned her. The gas station was in a valley, so reception inside the car was not good, and vehicles were roaring down a nearby highway making it almost impossible to hear outside the car. So I sort of crawled into the drivers' seat with my head by the steering wheel and my bum sticking out the open door. That may have been the only time I will ever use my rear end as an antenna. I don't think it works very well as an antenna, BTW.

I managed to understand that Berkley was offering me a 3-book contract! They'd only had the proposal for 3 weeks, and I was amazed. And soooo excited that I could barely contain myself.

I was dancing around the gas station parking lot when a family pulled up with a HUGE travel trailer. While the father was gassing it up, a cute little red-headed boy who must have been about 5 years old pointed up at one of the windows in the vehicle and said that was where his bunk was. It was all I could do not to inform that little boy that I was about to become a published author.

I was excited to go to Malice, anyway. It's always a fun conference, but I was meeting my long-time critique partners for the first time - Krista Davis who writes the Domestic Diva Mystery series and Avery Aames who writes the Cheese Shop Mysteries. I guess we would have shrieked and carried on at our first meeting, anyway, but we certainly did not behave in a sedate and decorous manner.

I'm calling the second book in the Threadville Series THREADED FOR TROUBLE. Of course I'm hoping that Berkley will love the title as much as I do. Willow is chosen to present a top-of-the-line sewing and embroidery machine to the winner of an embroidery competition. Unfortunately, the machine malfunctions, the new owner dies, and Willow wants to clear its name - and hers. Can you say Killer Sewing Machine . . . ? ? ?

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Thank you, Maria. The artist is Robin Moline. Berkley has their artists make large paintings which they then reduce in size for the covers.

My monitor has been showing the water as a sort of periwinkle blue, but the actual cover is more purple. Very striking. I'm very lucky!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JanetBolin wrote:

Becke, my call was really exciting. I suppose they all are, but I was in the Poconos on my way to the Malice Domestic Conference in 2009 when I received a message to call my agent. I pulled into a gas station and phoned her. The gas station was in a valley, so reception inside the car was not good, and vehicles were roaring down a nearby highway making it almost impossible to hear outside the car. So I sort of crawled into the drivers' seat with my head by the steering wheel and my bum sticking out the open door. That may have been the only time I will ever use my rear end as an antenna. I don't think it works very well as an antenna, BTW.

I managed to understand that Berkley was offering me a 3-book contract! They'd only had the proposal for 3 weeks, and I was amazed. And soooo excited that I could barely contain myself.

I was dancing around the gas station parking lot when a family pulled up with a HUGE travel trailer. While the father was gassing it up, a cute little red-headed boy who must have been about 5 years old pointed up at one of the windows in the vehicle and said that was where his bunk was. It was all I could do not to inform that little boy that I was about to become a published author.

I was excited to go to Malice, anyway. It's always a fun conference, but I was meeting my long-time critique partners for the first time - Krista Davis who writes the Domestic Diva Mystery series and Avery Aames who writes the Cheese Shop Mysteries. I guess we would have shrieked and carried on at our first meeting, anyway, but we certainly did not behave in a sedate and decorous manner.

I'm calling the second book in the Threadville Series THREADED FOR TROUBLE. Of course I'm hoping that Berkley will love the title as much as I do. Willow is chosen to present a top-of-the-line sewing and embroidery machine to the winner of an embroidery competition. Unfortunately, the machine malfunctions, the new owner dies, and Willow wants to clear its name - and hers. Can you say Killer Sewing Machine . . . ? ? ?

Janet - I LOVE your call story! (As to the antenna, I think my "bum" could double as a satellite dish. Comes from living in my computer chair these days!)

THREADED FOR TROUBLE is a fabulous title but you may have jinxed yourself. I'm picturing KILLER SEWING MACHINE on your next cover...

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Satellite dish! That could explain why I thought it might work!

I'm hoping to have the word Thread in all of my titles - but we'll see. Killer Sewing Machine works, too.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Janet, welcome to the B&N mystery forum. I'm going to look into your books as I'm a crafty person and like to read cozies. Thanks for being here this week.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Thanks, Maxcat! Crafts and reading make a great combination. Crafts and writing do, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Janet - What do you do when you Really Should Be Writing? (Something craft-related, I'm guessing...)

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Uh-oh, Becke, I think it's more like I'm writing when I should be doing something craft-related! Or, maybe to be more accurate, I'm checking email when I should be embroidering or writing . . .

A few years ago, I began teaching myself to play the piano, and I was pretty good at practicing until we got the puppies. They were about a year old, but very active. Then I got my book contract, and the poor piano (an electronic one - never needs tuning) sits there unplayed and I lose what little skill I'd gained.

I could also spend more time out walking around with the dogs (not that they exactly walk, but you know what I mean.)  And contracting poison ivy and being bitten by bugs. The poison ivy has ceased to be an issue, phew. I had visions of itching during my launch party!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JanetBolin wrote:

Uh-oh, Becke, I think it's more like I'm writing when I should be doing something craft-related! Or, maybe to be more accurate, I'm checking email when I should be embroidering or writing . . .

A few years ago, I began teaching myself to play the piano, and I was pretty good at practicing until we got the puppies. They were about a year old, but very active. Then I got my book contract, and the poor piano (an electronic one - never needs tuning) sits there unplayed and I lose what little skill I'd gained.

I could also spend more time out walking around with the dogs (not that they exactly walk, but you know what I mean.)  And contracting poison ivy and being bitten by bugs. The poison ivy has ceased to be an issue, phew. I had visions of itching during my launch party!

My daughter had a run-in with poison ivy sometime back. NOT fun!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

With everything else you have going on, do you find much time to read? Who are some of your favorite authors?

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

I arrived home from working at camp one summer to be greeted by my mother with a very long face. "Your sister is not as beautiful as she used to be," she said. You can imagine what fears went pounding through my brain!

It turned out that my sister had a bad case of poison ivy on her face. I'm pleased to say that she got over it and returned to being beautiful.

I'm usually very careful, and wash off the oils right away. So what did I think, I was invinciible? Ha!Last week, after plodding happily through and around poison ivy plants, I didn't bother soaping off those oils until my legs started to itch. Hello!

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Writing makes it hard to turn off the editor when reading for pleasure. When I first started writing, I kept wanting to revise the books I was reading. I've sort of stopped doing that, now, and can once again read for pure enjoyment. I used to read hours every day, but I still read a lot.

Every 10 years or so, I re-read REBECCA by Daphne du Maurier, and I re-read Mary Stewart's suspense novels more often than that. Madeleine Brent's books tend to be out of print, but she (really he - Peter O'Donnell of Modesty Blaise fame) wrote some wonderful suspense. And I love Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels, especially the Vicky Bliss novels. Sue Grafton demonstrated how to bring heroines into this century. Still, I find Mary Stewart's heroines solving mysteries while wearing frocks rather endearing - a sort of time capsule.

An amazing British suspense is coming out in North America tomorrow - SISTER by Rosamund Lupton. I came upon it in Heathrow last December and read it on the flight home, and it was almost as enthralling as REBECCA. On an airplane. That's saying a lot.

And cozies! Just about everyone! A lot of cozy authors are Mary Stewart fans, and her style of dry humor and suspense-building sometimes show in their writing.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JanetBolin wrote:

Writing makes it hard to turn off the editor when reading for pleasure. When I first started writing, I kept wanting to revise the books I was reading. I've sort of stopped doing that, now, and can once again read for pure enjoyment. I used to read hours every day, but I still read a lot.

Every 10 years or so, I re-read REBECCA by Daphne du Maurier, and I re-read Mary Stewart's suspense novels more often than that. Madeleine Brent's books tend to be out of print, but she (really he - Peter O'Donnell of Modesty Blaise fame) wrote some wonderful suspense. And I love Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels, especially the Vicky Bliss novels. Sue Grafton demonstrated how to bring heroines into this century. Still, I find Mary Stewart's heroines solving mysteries while wearing frocks rather endearing - a sort of time capsule.

An amazing British suspense is coming out in North America tomorrow - SISTER by Rosamund Lupton. I came upon it in Heathrow last December and read it on the flight home, and it was almost as enthralling as REBECCA. On an airplane. That's saying a lot.

And cozies! Just about everyone! A lot of cozy authors are Mary Stewart fans, and her style of dry humor and suspense-building sometimes show in their writing.

Sister  

Wow, that's quite a recommendation! Like you, I'm a big Mary Stewart fan - I'm due to reread them again soon!