Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JANET BOLIN!!!

I used to skip reading acknowledgments, but they do offer a peek into the author's personality, don't they, more than the actual book does. Before I had an agent, I checked to see who the author's agent was, especially when I really liked a book.

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Imagine not needing to revise! I'm hoping to not have to revise as much.

Author
SofieK
0 Kudos

Revising

I actually like revising--when I admit that other writers usually groan. For me it's like cooking. When I cook I look at the recipe as a baseline to start at and I revise as I go. 

Sofie aka Darlene

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Re: Revising

I like revising words and sentences, and could do that forever (not good when one has deadlines.)

Sometimes, though, I decide to make major changes, and take out huge scenes with the plan of putting them back in, reorganized and revised. I always feel a little ill until I have it all put together again. I'm afraid that all those words--or maybe only the letters in them!--will just drain out of the manuscript and end up in a puddle on the floor, and I'll never make sense of them again.

Deadlines are making me more of a plotter. I still fly into the mist, but now I may have a better idea of where I'm trying to end up. Major readjustments are frequently needed, however.

Some of my best writing comes during the mist-flying episodes. How about you? Do you plot carefully, fly into the mist, or combine the two?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JanetBolin wrote:

I used to skip reading acknowledgments, but they do offer a peek into the author's personality, don't they, more than the actual book does. Before I had an agent, I checked to see who the author's agent was, especially when I really liked a book.

*cough* Well, there is that, too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JanetBolin wrote:

I like revising words and sentences, and could do that forever (not good when one has deadlines.)

Sometimes, though, I decide to make major changes, and take out huge scenes with the plan of putting them back in, reorganized and revised. I always feel a little ill until I have it all put together again. I'm afraid that all those words--or maybe only the letters in them!--will just drain out of the manuscript and end up in a puddle on the floor, and I'll never make sense of them again.

Deadlines are making me more of a plotter. I still fly into the mist, but now I may have a better idea of where I'm trying to end up. Major readjustments are frequently needed, however.

Some of my best writing comes during the mist-flying episodes. How about you? Do you plot carefully, fly into the mist, or combine the two?

I love learning about your process! I'm interested in your critique partners. Do you help each other while you're in early stages of your story or only in the revisions? I ADORE my own critique partners, so it's a subject I'm always curious about.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Blogging

Janet shared this link with me:

http://www.mysteryloverskitchen.com/2011/06/and-then-there-was-time-she-put-sugar.html 

Janet - are you doing a blog tour for your new release? Please let us know if you're blogging anywhere else!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Janet - Would you like to do a little bragging about your fabulous niece?

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Welcome Janet, I have been waiting for the release of Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery Series)  so I could get started reading it.  Now I can get started.

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

My critique partners and I ask for help at any stage. We've been together about 10 years, and have become friends, so our objectivity may sometimes be questionable. However, we must be doing something right, all of us going from unpublished to published.

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Blogs, yes! I guess I should have mentioned them. On Tuesday, I blogged at my agents' blog:

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2011/06/janet-bolin-on-storytelling.html

Today, I'm sharing a Pet Peeve on Lorna Barrett's blog, Dazed and Confused:

http://lornabarrett.blogspot.com/2011/06/talk-about-pet-peeve.html

Come by and see the funny photos of a very persisent Baltimore Oriole.

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Brag about my fabulous niece? I'm sooooo glad you asked.

She's my sister's daughter, Elyse Fenton: http://www.elysefenton.com/

Last summer, her first book of poetry, Clamor, was nominated for the Dylan Thomas Prize for Young Writers. Just being nominated was a huge honor.

My sister, brother, and I commented that if Elyse was put on the short list, we should probably all go to Wales for the awards ceremony.

And she was, and we did, and she won!

We all have a great time together, so it would have been a wonderful vacation, anyway. But . . . wow!

Since then, Elyse also won theTexas Institute of Letters Bob Bush Memorial Award for First Book of Poetry.

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Thank you, seasanddollar! I hope you enjoy it!

Author
SofieK
0 Kudos

Janet, I'm a plotter all the way. The one time I tried "flying into the mist" the resulting book was a disaster. I like to know which road I'm on so I can enjoy the scenery, if that makes sense. 

Sofie aka Darlene aka Hey Mom!

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

I'm trying to learn to plot more, but I never quite know what's going to happen in a scene until I write it. Sometimes I'm surprised. Usually, it's a nice surprise.

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Janet to the BN forum

Reading the posts sure makes me think that you REALLY love to write!  Will be looking to add you to my TBR pile

Thanks for joining us

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

seasanddollar wrote:

Welcome Janet, I have been waiting for the release of Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery Series)  so I could get started reading it.  Now I can get started.

I always hesitate to give away spoilers when our visiting authors' books are released the week of their featured visit. I know a lot of you are buying and reading Janet's book this week. If you want to talk about it later - or if you have questions or comments for Janet after you finish it - come back and post about it here. I'll let Janet know if there are additional comments later.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JanetBolin wrote:

Blogs, yes! I guess I should have mentioned them. On Tuesday, I blogged at my agents' blog:

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2011/06/janet-bolin-on-storytelling.html

Today, I'm sharing a Pet Peeve on Lorna Barrett's blog, Dazed and Confused:

http://lornabarrett.blogspot.com/2011/06/talk-about-pet-peeve.html

Come by and see the funny photos of a very persisent Baltimore Oriole.

Two great blogs - thanks for the links!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JanetBolin wrote:

Brag about my fabulous niece? I'm sooooo glad you asked.

She's my sister's daughter, Elyse Fenton: http://www.elysefenton.com/

Last summer, her first book of poetry, Clamor, was nominated for the Dylan Thomas Prize for Young Writers. Just being nominated was a huge honor.

My sister, brother, and I commented that if Elyse was put on the short list, we should probably all go to Wales for the awards ceremony.

And she was, and we did, and she won!

We all have a great time together, so it would have been a wonderful vacation, anyway. But . . . wow!

Since then, Elyse also won theTexas Institute of Letters Bob Bush Memorial Award for First Book of Poetry.

Please pass on our congratulations to Elyse!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

SofieK wrote:

Janet, I'm a plotter all the way. The one time I tried "flying into the mist" the resulting book was a disaster. I like to know which road I'm on so I can enjoy the scenery, if that makes sense. 

I'm always fascinated at the way every author has their own way of writing. It seems you're either a plotter or a pantser. I know a few people whose process is a hybrid of the two. I wonder if there are certain personality traits that make authors one or the other?