Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author JEANNE ADAMS!

Those of you who've been hanging around the Mystery Forum awhile may remember JEANNE ADAMS. She's visited with us a few times before:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-Author-JEANNE-ADAMS/m-p/876664/highlig...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Featured-Book-for-August-DARK-amp-DEADLY-by-Jeanne-Ad...

During last September's celebration of Agatha Christie's 120th birthday, Jeanne blogged about Christie's love-hate relationship with her popular detective, Hercule Poirot:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/JEANNE-ADAMS-blogs-about-Agatha-Christie-s-Love-Hate/...

Jeanne is back to talk about her new book, DEADLY LITTLE LIES. Join us!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JEANNE ADAMS!

Biography

It’s wonderful for a writer to live near Washington, DC as I do. The research resources are fabulous, the scenery is great – complete with monuments, gorgeous public buildings, and the most amazing, weird, convoluted, political people – and I get to be here with the most awesome family, friends and neighbors in the world. I live here with my wonderful husband (he’s my personal hero), my two delightful, growing-too-fast sons, and my silly Dalmatian.

As former marketing executive, I worked for research parks, governmental concerns and not-for-profits, (which is also great fodder for the writer’s mind!) but now I’m happily employed as a consultant and full-time writer. I’m a member of Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction Writers of America and Thriller Writers. I’m also a proud member of theWashington Romance Writers, an RWA chapter, as well as several online RWA chapters.

One of the most enjoyable things I get to do as a consultant and writer, is to teach. I enjoy connecting with my clients, readers and other writers. In addition to my marketing work, I’ve gotten degrees in interior design and landscape design, which I use to teach a class on Creating the Write Environment. Having also worked in the funeral and cemetery business for nearly thirteen years, I teach a class on Body Disposal. I’m also very proud to work with bestselling author Madeline Hunter to teach a class on Surviving Almost There. You can check those out on the Classes button.

Being part of the Ad(d)ams Family, as you can imagine, Halloween is my favorite holiday. I love to work in the garden, run my Dalmatians, hang out with my family, and write. Other than that, as another, more famous author says, the rest is subject to change without notice.

Grins,

Jeanne

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jeanne's website is here: http://www.jeannepadams.com/

She blogs with the fabulous Romance Bandits: http://romancebandits.blogspot.com/

You can find Jeanne on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneAdams8

And on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/#!/jeanneadams

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Deadly Little Lies  

Deadly Little Lies by Jeanne Adams: Book Cover

Caught In A Game

Secrets are what drive billionaire security expert Davros Gianakopulos to succeed. And no one intrigues him more than striking art gallery owner Carrie McCray. But when a vengeful enemy traps Dav and Carrie in a ruthless battle of wits, the only thing he can trust is desire. . .

Carrie has faced down trouble before—betrayal taught her how. But staying one step ahead of those hunting her and Dav is as dangerous as her urgent feelings for him. Each move brings them closer to disaster, just as Dav's every searching kiss challenges Carrie's hard-won reserve. And he'll do whatever it takes to protect her. . .even putting their last chance at love on the line. . .

Praise for Deadly Little Secrets

". . .fast-paced, riveting. . . " —Carla Neggers

"An evocative and explosive thriller! " —Roxanne St. Claire

"One of the best Romantic Suspense novels of the year! "—Romantic Times

"An edge-of-your-seat read. " —New York Times bestselling author Dianna Love

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome JEANNE ADAMS!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Jeanne - Welcome back to B&N's Mystery Forum!

First of all, I've been meaning to ask - did you make it through the earthquake and Hurricane Irene without damage? You live where all the action is - it reminds me of that Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

Author
JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse
0 Kudos

Good Morning, Becke!  I'm so happy to be here.  Thanks for having me on again.  :smileyembarrassed:

Wasn't that Agatha Christie week fun?  I loved that.

How is everyone today?  What did you read over the weekend?  I read Rita Mae Brown's latest, and started Spider Bones by Kathy Reichs.

What about you, Becke?

Author
JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse
0 Kudos

Hahah!  Yes, it's interesting 'round DC these days - Earthquakes, floods, non-stop rainrainrain.  I keep thinking about that old Bill Cosby Routine:

God says, in a booming voice: "Noah, I want you to build an Ark..."

Noah:  "Riiiiiiiight.  Who is this?  Is that you Fred?"

Grins.

I'm thinking of investing in an ark.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse wrote:

Good Morning, Becke!  I'm so happy to be here.  Thanks for having me on again.  :smileyembarrassed:

Wasn't that Agatha Christie week fun?  I loved that.

How is everyone today?  What did you read over the weekend?  I read Rita Mae Brown's latest, and started Spider Bones by Kathy Reichs.

What about you, Becke?

Hi Jeanne! I've got SPIDER BONES in my TBR pile (which never seems to go down...). I've had some trouble updating the book list on my B&N profile - it can be accessed by clicking on my name/picture - so lately I've been using Shelfari. Over the weekend I finished Louise Penny's new release and almost finished your new one. (If I disappear for awhile, that's what I'll be doing!) My complete reading list is here: 

http://www.shelfari.com/beckemartindavis/shelf

Do you keep track of what you read? 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LOL, Jeanne - We had that Bill Cosby album (remember record albums?) when I was a teenager. We played it until the grooves wore out!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hahah!  Yes, it's interesting 'round DC these days - Earthquakes, floods, non-stop rainrainrain.  I keep thinking about that old Bill Cosby Routine:

God says, in a booming voice: "Noah, I want you to build an Ark..."

Noah:  "Riiiiiiiight.  Who is this?  Is that you Fred?"

Grins.

I'm thinking of investing in an ark.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jeanne - Since you've visited with us before, I may have asked this already. Do you still remember when you got the call that you'd sold your first book? Would you share that story with us?

Also, how has the business changed - from your perspective - since you sold your first book?

Author
JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse
0 Kudos

You asked if I kept track of what I'd read.  I have to confess that I don't.  I need to do the post on B&N like you do, or shelfari or goodreads.  I've been so overwhelmed in the last year with family stuff that's finally calming down, so maybe now I can get to it!  Grins.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You asked if I kept track of what I'd read.  I have to confess that I don't.  I need to do the post on B&N like you do, or shelfari or goodreads.  I've been so overwhelmed in the last year with family stuff that's finally calming down, so maybe now I can get to it!  Grins.

I totally understand! I read so much that it's hard to keep the list up-to-date. The one year I made my own database (before they had things like Shelfari - or before I knew about sites like it, anyway), it was such a pain in the neck I stopped after a year. I figured I could read a whole book in the time it had taken me to list everything.

With your reading time so limited, do you have certain authors you will still make time for - your "must-read" authors? Do you have any recommendations - books that shot to the top of your list?

Author
JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:  Thanks for posting that Bill Cosby bit, Becke!  Gosh, I do love that.  Laugh every time.  Grins.

I do remember my Call, very, very clearly.  Grins.  Kinda like your first kiss and first.. well, you know.  You don't forget it.

I was taking my kids to camp on a really, really hot July day right after that year's National conference.  I have a cell phone, but not many people have the number, so I don't get called on it that much.  Particularly back then!  ha!  My sister habitually called me at "drive time" - around 8:30 a.m. - so when the phone rang, I just picked up and said, "Hey sis, hang on."  I then in no uncertain terms told my two boys that they needed to pipe down and let me talk to their aunt.

*wince*

When I put the phone back up to my ear, the famous Kate Duffy from Kensington was laughing so hard she could hardly talk.  "Hi Jeanne, this isn't your sister."

I looked at the number.  212 area code.  New York.  Ohhhhhhhh cripes!

I put on my best "professional voice" and talked to her for a moment then asked her if I could call her back when I'd completed my camp-drop.  She laughingly agreed, but before hanging up, she said, "And just so you know, I want to buy your 2006 Golden Heart book, so don't wait too long to call me back."

O.M.Gosh.

I started whooping it up in the car, much to the great surprise of my two sons as I'm pretty non-communicative and not very sparky at that time of the morning.  Hahah!

Then I called my sister and we laughed and laughed about the bad idea of "assuming" it was your sister when the phone rings at 8:30 am.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jeanne - Since you're going to be here on Agatha Christie's birthday (September 15th), maybe we can do some kind of tribute that day. I'll re-post last year's blog, and if you'd like to add anything new (your favorite Christie books, anything like that) we can expand our discussion!

How old were you when you first discovered the mystery genre? When did you realize you wanted to write mysteries (or romantic suspense)?

Author
JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse
0 Kudos

Oops, forgot to answer the second part of your question about how the business has changed since I started.

Wow, light years of change.  But to my mind, it's all good.  There are more avenues for people to get great reading material out there, there's more competition for good books, which can only be good for those of us writing good books, and there's a whooooolllle lot of change going on.

It can be really intimidating, and people can make some bad choices (like publishing an un-edited manuscript that only they have read - eek!), but all in all, I think the brave new world of publishing, which changes virtually every day, is an exciting place to be.

What do you think about it?

Author
JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

With your reading time so limited, do you have certain authors you will still make time for - your "must-read" authors? Do you have any recommendations - books that shot to the top of your list?

Oh, gosh.  Well, obviously I make time for Rita Mae Brown and Kathy Reichs.  Grins.  I make time for my fellow Kensington Author Lisa Jackson.  Anything JD Robb or Nora Roberts (with whom I get to sign this weekend Sept. 17th, at her bookstore!  Woot!  #NY2D is about to be out!).  Oh, no, I'm not a fan girl...no...not me....(lying!)  Ha!  I make time for any of the Romance Bandits' books when they come out,   I just finished Bandit Jo Robertson's The Watcher - FABULOUS thriller, btw.  Really gripping.  I'm going to download Aunty Cindy's (Loucinda McGary) prequel to her Irish thrillers, The Sidhe Princess.  Read Kate Carlisle's latest Desire, and Beth Andrews latest Superromance on the plane - wonderful! - home from a weekend away with my darling DH.  Grins.  Oh, and Donna MacMeans's Redeeming the Rogue.

I do tend to read more mystery and suspense, and fantasy than anything else, even though I write romance.  I'm weird that way.  I've been re-reading a lot of Clive Cussler's books, just for fun.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:  Thanks for posting that Bill Cosby bit, Becke!  Gosh, I do love that.  Laugh every time.  Grins.

I do remember my Call, very, very clearly.  Grins.  Kinda like your first kiss and first.. well, you know.  You don't forget it.

I was taking my kids to camp on a really, really hot July day right after that year's National conference.  I have a cell phone, but not many people have the number, so I don't get called on it that much.  Particularly back then!  ha!  My sister habitually called me at "drive time" - around 8:30 a.m. - so when the phone rang, I just picked up and said, "Hey sis, hang on."  I then in no uncertain terms told my two boys that they needed to pipe down and let me talk to their aunt.

*wince*

When I put the phone back up to my ear, the famous Kate Duffy from Kensington was laughing so hard she could hardly talk.  "Hi Jeanne, this isn't your sister."

I looked at the number.  212 area code.  New York.  Ohhhhhhhh cripes!

I put on my best "professional voice" and talked to her for a moment then asked her if I could call her back when I'd completed my camp-drop.  She laughingly agreed, but before hanging up, she said, "And just so you know, I want to buy your 2006 Golden Heart book, so don't wait too long to call me back."

O.M.Gosh.

I started whooping it up in the car, much to the great surprise of my two sons as I'm pretty non-communicative and not very sparky at that time of the morning.  Hahah!

Then I called my sister and we laughed and laughed about the bad idea of "assuming" it was your sister when the phone rings at 8:30 am.

I've heard such wonderful things about Kate Duffy - you were lucky to have her as your editor. I wish I'd met her! She was my friend Dianne Castell's editor for many years. When Dianne sold her first mystery series, she took part of Kate's name as her pen name, Duffy Brown.

I love this story - what a great way to start the day, with a phone call saying your book had sold! Which was more exciting - the Golden Heart or the sale? (Or is that a stupid question?)