Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

Hi, Jenn, your books sound interesting, especially the Library Lover's series. I will have to check into those. Welcome to the forum and have a good week.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi, Jenn, your books sound interesting, especially the Library Lover's series. I will have to check into those. Welcome to the forum and have a good week.

I discovered Jenn's cupcake series first, but I think her Library series is my new favorite. I hear she has library groupies now!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jenn - Fricka mentioned your whole family came out to support you. Are they always this loyal? I'm impressed!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Good Morning Jenn and welcome to our mystery blog! I read SPRINKLE WITH MURDER over the weekend and enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to reading BUTTERCREAM BUMP OFF as I need to find out what's happening next to Melanie Cooper! I'm also interested in your library series and the Josie Bell series looks interesting too!

One question about writing under another name - Do you think it hinders readers who love your first series if they don't realize that Josie Bell is really Jenn McKinlay? 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Hi ReadingPatti!

Thanks!  I love word play titles and cozy mysteries do seem to be the best (not that I'm biased or anything).  I have no problem with the word "cozy".  I do consider my books cozies and I'm damn proud of it.  Here's why: We have to be better writers than the noir/thriller/suspense writers.  Yes, I said BETTER:smileyhappy:  They swear, bleed and bonk all over the page - EASY!  We have to bring suspense and lust from off the page and still make our books page turners - HARD!  Now, I love thrillers/suspense and I have no problem with swearing (I swear like a sailor when it's required - think hammer on thumb), but seriously, they have it SO easy.  I'm just sayin'! 

Jenn

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

I'm on deadline so the celebration will have to keep, although I did play hookey yesterday and go play in the snow in the high country in AZ!  A bunch of lovely gifts have come from my publisher and my agent, so I'm feeling pretty fizzy happy about my first appearance in the New York Times Book Review!  Yay!

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Hi, Fricka!

Great to "see" you again.  So glad you enjoyed the cake pops (they are a weakness).

Yes, my entourage is my family - they give me A LOT of material :smileyhappy:

I do have a new series coming out in April (50% OFF MURDER) under the name Josie Belle.  It's a bargain hunters series because I am a serious lover of thrift.  My dad says it's my Scottish blood - he's seriously thrifty, too!

Yes, BN and a few other websites put the RED VELVET REVENGE image on the DEATH by the DOZEN title - they've all been notified, so it should be fixed soon.

Thanks for the welcome!

Jenn

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Hi, Mary!

Thanks for the welcome!  Yep, the psychopathic single mindedness thing should be in every writer's resume.  We definitely need it!  LOL.

Jenn

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Thanks, Maxcat!

It's fabulous to be here.  BN has always been very good to me and I appreciate it!

Jenn

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Becke,

I have ot be honest I've had to ban the hooligans (my sons) because they seemed to think the signings were for them!  LOL.  But otherwise, yes, my family is a constant presence.  And because I work in a library, and I do have peeps that are wonderfully supportive!

Jenn

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Hi, EadieBurke,

Thanks for the kind words about SPRINKLE - it's very much appreciated!

As for the names.  I've written under 2 pen names - Lucy Lawrence and Josie Belle.  These are both writer for hire projects.  Basically, I kept submitting (rather my agent kept submitting) my manuscripts, but the pub either liked my characters and hated my plot or vice versa.  I believe that they got SO sick of me that they had a meeting and said, "If we give her a series, will she go away?"  So, they offered me a decoupage (yes, really) mystery series under the name Lucy Lawrence.  I snatched it!  Then I knew I had to sell them something of my own ASAP.  So, I pithced a cupcake series - they loved it.  Then convinced that cupcakes would go the way of the decoupage, I pitched a library series - they loved it.  Then they had a writer for hire for a bargain hunter series (did I mention I love thrift?) so I asked to do that on the chance that both cupcake and library would fail.  They gave me the bargain hunter series and then I just pitched a London hat shop series which they love so now I have four series currently going.  Yes, I am insane and obviously not a little paranoid.  I have promisedmy fellow writers that since both the cupcake and library series have proven to be wildly popular, I will CALM down.  I promise :smileyhappy:

So, yes, people may have a harder time finding Josie Belle and Lucy Lawrence but the pub owns the copyright on those books and honestly it can be a very liberating experience writing under a different name. 

Thanks for the excellent question!

Jenn

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

I'm on deadline so the celebration will have to keep, although I did play hookey yesterday and go play in the snow in the high country in AZ!  A bunch of lovely gifts have come from my publisher and my agent, so I'm feeling pretty fizzy happy about my first appearance in the New York Times Book Review!  Yay!

My husband and I were just talking about the crazy weather. It's in the 80s here in Cincinnati this week while Arizona has snow. I hear this is called La Nina weather (can't do a tilda here) - I'm sorry about your snow but I LOVE the early spring!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

Hi, EadieBurke,

As for the names.  I've written under 2 pen names - Lucy Lawrence and Josie Belle.  These are both writer for hire projects.  Basically, I kept submitting (rather my agent kept submitting) my manuscripts, but the pub either liked my characters and hated my plot or vice versa.  I believe that they got SO sick of me that they had a meeting and said, "If we give her a series, will she go away?"  So, they offered me a decoupage (yes, really) mystery series under the name Lucy Lawrence.  I snatched it!  Then I knew I had to sell them something of my own ASAP.  So, I pithced a cupcake series - they loved it.  Then convinced that cupcakes would go the way of the decoupage, I pitched a library series - they loved it.  Then they had a writer for hire for a bargain hunter series (did I mention I love thrift?) so I asked to do that on the chance that both cupcake and library would fail.  They gave me the bargain hunter series and then I just pitched a London hat shop series which they love so now I have four series currently going.  Yes, I am insane and obviously not a little paranoid.  I have promisedmy fellow writers that since both the cupcake and library series have proven to be wildly popular, I will CALM down.  I promise :smileyhappy:

So, yes, people may have a harder time finding Josie Belle and Lucy Lawrence but the pub owns the copyright on those books and honestly it can be a very liberating experience writing under a different name. 

Jenn

Jenn:

Thanks for answering my question! Just wondering why, if you already had popular books under your Jenn McKinlay name, you would want to have to prove yourself under another name. That is quite a challenge!

Anyway, good luck and now that I know it's you, I'll also try your decoupage mystery and thrift books too! What's another few books on the TBR pile!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Good Morning Jenn and welcome to our mystery blog! I read SPRINKLE WITH MURDER over the weekend and enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to reading BUTTERCREAM BUMP OFF as I need to find out what's happening next to Melanie Cooper! I'm also interested in your library series and the Josie Bell series looks interesting too!

One question about writing under another name - Do you think it hinders readers who love your first series if they don't realize that Josie Bell is really Jenn McKinlay? 

I was wondering if you originally wrote this as Josie Bell and then reissued it as Jenn McKinlay - when I searched for the link here it didn't come up when I searched Josie Bell. It DID come up when I searched Jenn McKinlay.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

Hi ReadingPatti!

Thanks!  I love word play titles and cozy mysteries do seem to be the best (not that I'm biased or anything).  I have no problem with the word "cozy".  I do consider my books cozies and I'm damn proud of it.  Here's why: We have to be better writers than the noir/thriller/suspense writers.  Yes, I said BETTER:smileyhappy:  They swear, bleed and bonk all over the page - EASY!  We have to bring suspense and lust from off the page and still make our books page turners - HARD!  Now, I love thrillers/suspense and I have no problem with swearing (I swear like a sailor when it's required - think hammer on thumb), but seriously, they have it SO easy.  I'm just sayin'! 

Jenn

This is a very interesting take on cozies, Jenn!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

I'm amazed by the number of books you've written recently. How long does it take you to complete one, on average?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

Becke,

I have ot be honest I've had to ban the hooligans (my sons) because they seemed to think the signings were for them!  LOL.  But otherwise, yes, my family is a constant presence.  And because I work in a library, and I do have peeps that are wonderfully supportive!

Jenn

I'm always impressed at the way librarians support authors. It drives me crazy that so many libraries are losing funding and letting librarians go!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

Hi, EadieBurke,

Jenn

"If we give her a series, will she go away?" 

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

It takes me two to three months to finish a book.  I try to never miss a deadline and I turn in

very clean copy with minimal revisons required.  I worked too hard to get here to take it lightly

and do less than my best.

Jenn

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

It takes me two to three months to finish a book.  I try to never miss a deadline and I turn in

very clean copy with minimal revisons required.  I worked too hard to get here to take it lightly

and do less than my best.

Jenn

Wow! Your editors must LOVE you!