Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

eadieburke wrote:

Anyway, good luck and now that I know it's you, I'll also try your decoupage mystery and thrift books too! What's another few books on the TBR pile!

My sentiments exactly, eadie! I can hardly wait to get my hands on Jenn's pseudonynmous books now!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Good morning, all! Happy First Day of Spring!

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Thanks, Eadie!  Mostly, I took on a lot of work because I was afraid of failing.  

Now, not so much!  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jenn - What do you do when you Really Should Be Writing?

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

If I can't get my head in the game when it needs to be (especially on deadline), I'll take my skateboard out for a spin around the block.  It helps blow out the cobwebs, gets the blood flowing and usually I can sit down and concentrate after a good sidewalk surf.   If it's really bad, I clean.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

If I can't get my head in the game when it needs to be (especially on deadline), I'll take my skateboard out for a spin around the block.  It helps blow out the cobwebs, gets the blood flowing and usually I can sit down and concentrate after a good sidewalk surf.   If it's really bad, I clean.

Skateboarding?? You are definitely an original!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

JennMcKinlay wrote:

What, becke, you thought that picture of Jenn Sidewalk Surfboarding was just a photo-op? Jenn, you are my heroine! I've always thought that skateboarding looked like it would be fun, but my balance is not great, and now at my age(60), I'd be wanting full body padding before I got on one of those, and just the thought of falling off makes me think I'd better stick to walking! Had to laugh at your line, " If it's really bad, I clean." Nothing like starting to clean a house to make the brain cells wake up and think, " I could be doing something better than THIS!" Heee heee!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

JennMcKinlay wrote:

What, becke, you thought that picture of Jenn Sidewalk Surfboarding was just a photo-op? Jenn, you are my heroine! I've always thought that skateboarding looked like it would be fun, but my balance is not great, and now at my age(60), I'd be wanting full body padding before I got on one of those, and just the thought of falling off makes me think I'd better stick to walking! Had to laugh at your line, " If it's really bad, I clean." Nothing like starting to clean a house to make the brain cells wake up and think, " I could be doing something better than THIS!" Heee heee!

Well, actually...yes. Sort of. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jenn - What were the books (or authors) that inspired you to become a writer? Who are your favorite authors today?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Good morning Jen, thanks Becke for inviting her here, I haven't read her yet but am looking forward to it.

what a great question for her Becke I love to know the authors that inspire authors

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Hi, Fricka!  It is fun, but I'm a tomboy and I've been skateboarding since I was nine.  Gave it up for years then had two boy children and now I'm back!  Love it.

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Two books made me want to be a writer: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis and Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery.  I read both very young and they made a huge impression upon me.  Now I read everything I can get my hands on.  I truly have too many favorites to name.  Authors are like outfits for me - what am I in the mood to read today?  In fact, today I am reading Hounded by Kevin Hearne, who I just met at the Tucson Book Festival, it's an urban fantasy novel about a nine hundred year old druid.  Love it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

Two books made me want to be a writer: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis and Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery.  I read both very young and they made a huge impression upon me.  Now I read everything I can get my hands on.  I truly have too many favorites to name.  Authors are like outfits for me - what am I in the mood to read today?  In fact, today I am reading Hounded by Kevin Hearne, who I just met at the Tucson Book Festival, it's an urban fantasy novel about a nine hundred year old druid.  Love it!

Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #1)  

Oooh, this looks good! Thanks for telling us about it! I love your influential books, too - true classics!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Jenn, Welcome !

I just started reading Due Or Die and I am really enjoying it. Havening it set in my home state of CT. also. I  like the situations you put the characters in during the nor'easter . :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

JennMcKinlay wrote:

Thanks Jenn, that's exactly the kind of reader I am too. 

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Anne of Green Gables, I adored that book and read it several times!! So nice that you're a guest, love your mysteries!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jenn - How has your life changed since you've become a multipublished author? Has anything odd or interesting ever happened on one of your book tours?

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

Thanks, optic_i!

Did I spell that right?  The nor'easter came from my childhood memories of the blizzard in '78 --

trees coated in ice and snowdrifts that were ten feet tall.  I do not think my parents loved it as much as 

my brother and me, but it was AWESOME!

Author
JennMcKinlay
0 Kudos

My life hasn't changed much since I've been pubbed.  The timing was perfect as my sons began school just before I was published so it folded nicely around their school day.  The only BIG change is now I have deadlines, but those sure keep me on top of my time management!

Book signings are a joy.  It's always fun to meet people who enjoy your work.  The weirdest thing I've done since getting published was judge the annual Cupcake Love-In, a charity event held here in Scottsdale, AZ. A perfect fit since I write the cupcake bakery series, yes?  But one category was most unusual, so I had to eat a cupcake with a cricket on it.  Crunchy!