Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,230
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!


JennMcKinlay wrote:

My life hasn't changed much since I've been pubbed.  The timing was perfect as my sons began school just before I was published so it folded nicely around their school day.  The only BIG change is now I have deadlines, but those sure keep me on top of my time management!

Book signings are a joy.  It's always fun to meet people who enjoy your work.  The weirdest thing I've done since getting published was judge the annual Cupcake Love-In, a charity event held here in Scottsdale, AZ. A perfect fit since I write the cupcake bakery series, yes?  But one category was most unusual, so I had to eat a cupcake with a cricket on it.  Crunchy!


I do hope the cricket was dead, Jenn. That is pretty weird, though. Hopefully the cricket was covered with chocolate or some kind of sugary substance to make it taste, well, less like an insect. You were a good sport to eat that particular cupcake, I must say. So glad there weren't any of THOSE kinds of cupcakes at the "Cupcake Cozy" at that Scottsdale Mystery Bookstore where I met you and the other lady authors. That was a fun meeting! Plus all the cupcakes were quite delicious. They even served "Cupcake Wine" that evening. plus some great tasting cheese, which I suspect Avery brought. Yummmmm. My kind of evening-- books AND food!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!


JennMcKinlay wrote:

My life hasn't changed much since I've been pubbed.  The timing was perfect as my sons began school just before I was published so it folded nicely around their school day.  The only BIG change is now I have deadlines, but those sure keep me on top of my time management!

Book signings are a joy.  It's always fun to meet people who enjoy your work.  The weirdest thing I've done since getting published was judge the annual Cupcake Love-In, a charity event held here in Scottsdale, AZ. A perfect fit since I write the cupcake bakery series, yes?  But one category was most unusual, so I had to eat a cupcake with a cricket on it.  Crunchy!


A real cricket?? Ewww - nasty! What the heck was the category? Other than that, it sounds really fun!

 

Have you had any other unique experiences?

Author
JennMcK
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

Hi, Fricka!

 

Yes, the cricket was dead, but no chocolate coating to make it go down.  That was a fun signing. Avery Aames and Kate Carlisle are long time buddies and Beth Kendrick was there as well. It was my first time meeting her and she's just delightful.  And yes, Avery did bring cheese - I love doing signings with her!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

[ Edited ]

JennMcK wrote:

Hi, Fricka!

 

Yes, the cricket was dead, but no chocolate coating to make it go down.  That was a fun signing. Avery Aames and Kate Carlisle are long time buddies and Beth Kendrick was there as well. It was my first time meeting her and she's just delightful.  And yes, Avery did bring cheese - I love doing signings with her!


Jenn - Did you have trouble signing in? I noticed you've lost your author tag. I'll get that fixed asap.

 

Avery has mentioned that her book tours tend to be very food-related. Sounds like fun!!

 

I can't get over the cricket. Boy, cricket-eating, flying a glider, skate-boarding - were you a daredevil when you were growing up?

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

Thinking about your daring exploits makes me wonder if you've ever considered writing a series about a heroine with similar traits? Sort of a bungee-jumping, hang-gliding, skateboarding grown up Nancy Drew!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,230
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!


becke_davis wrote:

Thinking about your daring exploits makes me wonder if you've ever considered writing a series about a heroine with similar traits? Sort of a bungee-jumping, hang-gliding, skateboarding grown up Nancy Drew!


That sounds like a great premise, becke! I'd sure read those books! But I have to wonder, with all the OTHER series Jenn is already committed to, plus her family and any possible down time she might need, if she would really have the time for writing those. We can hope, though!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!


Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Thinking about your daring exploits makes me wonder if you've ever considered writing a series about a heroine with similar traits? Sort of a bungee-jumping, hang-gliding, skateboarding grown up Nancy Drew!


That sounds like a great premise, becke! I'd sure read those books! But I have to wonder, with all the OTHER series Jenn is already committed to, plus her family and any possible down time she might need, if she would really have the time for writing those. We can hope, though!


I expect you're right about that...

Author
JennMcKinlay
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎03-18-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

That would be awesome, Becke!  Hang gliding - Yes, I would do that.  Bungee jumping - NO!  Something about being attached to a rubberband does not appeal.    I'd love to write a series about a character who would do all these things.  My phobia is deep dark water, however, so cliff diving and scuba are OUT.

What other adrenaline rush activities are there?

Author
JennMcKinlay
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎03-18-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

I did have trouble signing in last night.  I was pretty sure I remembered my password, but the 

site disagreed - it won!

 

I was a dare devil as a kid.  My brother and I came up with all sorts of life threatening stunts that my mother didn't know of until years later.  I think it makes me a better parent. I know kids have to do dumb things to learn not to do dumb things and being told to "be careful" constantly does nothing to deter them, so it is best to let them learn on their own and be ready with the neosporine.  LOL.

Author
JennMcKinlay
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎03-18-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

I think I'll have to leave the daredevil detective to someone else.  I have just enough work to keep me out of trouble right now.  That, and I'd really like to write an adventure story for young adult (yes, my sons have been pestering me to write something for them).  So, I'm writing a story with two brothers who have a propensity for trouble, but whether it'll be a published book or just stories for my boys - we'll see.

 

I really need 72 hours in my days!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!


JennMcKinlay wrote:

That would be awesome, Becke!  Hang gliding - Yes, I would do that.  Bungee jumping - NO!  Something about being attached to a rubberband does not appeal.    I'd love to write a series about a character who would do all these things.  My phobia is deep dark water, however, so cliff diving and scuba are OUT.

What other adrenaline rush activities are there?


Oh, I'm with you on that. Going on a cruise sounds like torture to me, and scuba diving? Forget it!

 

What's the most daring activity you've ever done?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,230
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!


JennMcKinlay wrote:

That would be awesome, Becke!  Hang gliding - Yes, I would do that.  Bungee jumping - NO!  Something about being attached to a rubberband does not appeal.    I'd love to write a series about a character who would do all these things.  My phobia is deep dark water, however, so cliff diving and scuba are OUT.

What other adrenaline rush activities are there?



Rappeling up a mountain? Snowboarding(a la Shawn White)? Trekking in the African or Indian wilds?

Or for that matter, in the American West, in states like Idaho, Montana, and Colorado. Tree Climbing?

Barrel Racing(on horseback, of course!)?

I bet your sons can come up with lots more activities that would provide one with an adrenaline rush!

 

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
JennMcKinlay
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎03-18-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

Fricka's got the list - you could get a looong series out of an adrenaline junkie amateur sleuth with all of that.  For me, flying a glider was defintiely my most daring moment.  My instructor did a barrel roll and several wing overs.  It was amazing!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

Jenn - Thanks so much for joining us this week. I think you are our most daring guest in quite awhile! You're welcome to come back and update us on your news any time!

 

Author
JennMcK
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!

Thank you, Becke!  It was a pleasure!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,230
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENN MCKINLAY!


becke_davis wrote:

Jenn - Thanks so much for joining us this week. I think you are our most daring guest in quite awhile! You're welcome to come back and update us on your news any time!

 


Ditto. Thanks, Jenn, for taking the time to answer questions here and discuss both your books and future plans. It's been a hoot, and I hope to see you again sometime in the near future, to get another one of your books signed. I think I told you at the Cupcake Cozy that I loved the scenes you have in your Cupcake mysteries. When I read the descriptions of Old Town Scottsdale, I really enjoy it. That's something you have that at least for now sets you apart from other mystery writers. I enjoy your library mysteries too, but please don't stop doing the Cupcakes!

 

P.S. I bought a cupcake at my local Farmer's Market today. It was scrumptioius. I thought of you while I was eating it, too, ha ha. What's a bit more chocolate cake and frosting to my hips, anyway????

 

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie