Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
Bente
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

Hi L.J. Nice to see you too. Glad you could stop by!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

 


LJSellers wrote:

Bente/Jenny, it's great getting to know you and your books a little better!

L.J.


 

Hi L.J. - great to see you here! I just submitted a request for an "author" tag for you.

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

 


Bente wrote:

Becke - I tried my hand at a YA mystery a couple of years ago, that didn't go anywhere. Apparently YA mysteries don't sell these days, or maybe it was just the one I wrote. In either case, it seems YA is off the table for me, since my agent doesn't rep it. The idea behind that book is on its way into a different book, though, an adult romantic thriller/suspense book I'm planning to write after DIY-5 is handed in in September. I'm also playing with an idea for a paranormal romance series that would be a whole lot of fun to write, but with all the juggling I'm doing already, between the two series that are already up and running and the new project, I don't know that I want to stray too far. I enjoy mystery and suspense, I seem to be reasonably good at writing it, and I think I'll probably stay where I am, at least for the time being. In five years, the answer may have changed, but for now, I'm pretty content where I'm at.


 

I love your working title "DIY-5" -- too funny! These new ideas sound interesting. Please be sure to come back and tell us if you go ahead with these books!

 

Author
Bente
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

Actually, DIY-5's working title is FLIPPING OUT. Don't know yet whether I'll be allowed to keep it, but I suspect not. DIY-4 will be called MORTAR AND MURDER, and it's coming January 4th, 2011. I wanted to call it ISLAND GETAWAY, but that was deemed not renovate-y enough. FLIPPING OUT is the title of the TV-show Derek and Avery are on in book 5, though, so I thought it would make for a good title. We'll see.  

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

Bente- both of your other projects sound really good too.

When you got it, flaunt it.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

 


Bente wrote:

Actually, DIY-5's working title is FLIPPING OUT. Don't know yet whether I'll be allowed to keep it, but I suspect not. DIY-4 will be called MORTAR AND MURDER, and it's coming January 4th, 2011. I wanted to call it ISLAND GETAWAY, but that was deemed not renovate-y enough. FLIPPING OUT is the title of the TV-show Derek and Avery are on in book 5, though, so I thought it would make for a good title. We'll see.  


 

How much say do you have in your titles? I've heard some publishers don't give authors a lot of input.

 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

[ Edited ]

Welcome Bente:

 

I just finished reading your "FATAL fixer-upper".

 

Fatal Fixer-Upper (Do-It-Yourself Series #1)  

 

I absolutely loved it! Enjoyed Avery and Derek's adventures. The home renovation ideas were wonderful too. Especially the lace on the cabinets! What a great idea!

 

I found your book a very fast-paced read and couldn't wait to find out what happened at the end. And you didn't disappoint! Can't wait to read your next one!

Spackled and Spooked (Do-It-Yourself Series #2)

  

 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

Hi Jennie..Welcome to Mystery.I love The Titles and Beautiful covers of your Books..Will Have a Look at them in depth on BN and I am sure TBR will be in order..Becke had quite a Lineup of Great Authors here and so Glad you are Part of That "Club".. Best...Susan Vtc..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Bente
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

Debbie, thanks! Believe me, I flaunt everything I've got!

 

Becke, the short answer to that is, "none." That is, I get to suggest titles, and if my editor and the sales and marketing teams like my title, they keep it. If they don't, they come up with something else. Mortar and Murder was also my suggestion, so I can't complain too much; I just thought Island Getaway was a better title for that particular book. It's not easy to come up with these super-cute cozy titles, yanno.

Author
Bente
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

Eadie, I'm so glad you enjoyed Fatal Fixer-Upper. Spackled and Spooked is better, I've been told - I think so too - and Plaster and Poison better than that again, so hopefully you'll enjoy those, as well, when you get around to trying them! (And if I can just toot a little bit here, my agent said the manuscript for DIY-4, Mortar and Murder, is the best thing I've ever written, so you've got something to look forward to there, as well.)

 

Susan, thank you. Yeah, the covers are fabulous, aren't they? I can't take any credit, as that's entirely Berkley's deal, but I totally lucked out. The cover artist - she who paints the pictures, as opposed to the designer who designs the overall look of the cover, and the one who designs the overall look of the inside of the book - is called Jennifer Taylor, and she has a company called Paperdog Studio. You can google them and see some more of her stuff.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

 

Bente:
When you're good, you're good and that's great because I can't wait to read them!

Bente wrote:

Eadie, I'm so glad you enjoyed Fatal Fixer-Upper. Spackled and Spooked is better, I've been told - I think so too - and Plaster and Poison better than that again, so hopefully you'll enjoy those, as well, when you get around to trying them! (And if I can just toot a little bit here, my agent said the manuscript for DIY-4, Mortar and Murder, is the best thing I've ever written, so you've got something to look forward to there, as well.)

 

Susan, thank you. Yeah, the covers are fabulous, aren't they? I can't take any credit, as that's entirely Berkley's deal, but I totally lucked out. The cover artist - she who paints the pictures, as opposed to the designer who designs the overall look of the cover, and the one who designs the overall look of the inside of the book - is called Jennifer Taylor, and she has a company called Paperdog Studio. You can google them and see some more of her stuff.


 

 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

 


Bente wrote:

Debbie, thanks! Believe me, I flaunt everything I've got!

 

Becke, the short answer to that is, "none." That is, I get to suggest titles, and if my editor and the sales and marketing teams like my title, they keep it. If they don't, they come up with something else. Mortar and Murder was also my suggestion, so I can't complain too much; I just thought Island Getaway was a better title for that particular book. It's not easy to come up with these super-cute cozy titles, yanno.


 

 

Yeah, I have a couple friends whose title choices were over-ridden. The titles they were given were fine, I just used to assume authors had more say in that.

 

I think I'm going to get your DIY books for my mom. She loves books like those!

Author
Bente
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

If your mom likes cozies, she'll probably like mine just fine. The set-up and characters are pretty typical for this type of series: city girl inherits house in small town, hooks up with handsome neighbor/cop/lawyer/handyman/plumber, starts new venture in small town and stays there with handsome guy at the end of book 1. Pretty standard, really. My books are a little longer and maybe a little more intricate than some - I juggle the mystery, the history, the love affair and the renovating - but basically, it's your standard cozy. Let me know what your mom thinks.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

 


Bente wrote:

If your mom likes cozies, she'll probably like mine just fine. The set-up and characters are pretty typical for this type of series: city girl inherits house in small town, hooks up with handsome neighbor/cop/lawyer/handyman/plumber, starts new venture in small town and stays there with handsome guy at the end of book 1. Pretty standard, really. My books are a little longer and maybe a little more intricate than some - I juggle the mystery, the history, the love affair and the renovating - but basically, it's your standard cozy. Let me know what your mom thinks.


 

My mom loves cozies, but her vision has kept her from reading for several months. She's finally worked up the nerve to get the cataract surgery her doctor has been recommending. She has that done next week, and I'm sure she'll be on a reading binge when she can see clearly again!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

Bente - Awhile back, I asked friends in my local writer's group to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors.

 

This is what they came up with:

 

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

 

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

 

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

 

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

 

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

 

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

Author
Bente
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

 

Can I go with the sixth? It's all sort of weird and intuitive. If not, then probably sight. I'm a very visual person.

 

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

 

I wish I'd written the Harry Potter books. And not just because of the popularity, but because she must have had so much fun putting it all together.

 

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

 

I've never seen Castle, and I don't know who Nathan Fillion is. I think I know what Gerard Butler looks like, and he isn't hot at all. Sorry. My personal celebrity crush at the moment is Shemar Moore, since he looks so much like the love interest in A Cutthroat Business. Beyond that, I've always like Josh Brolin and Cary Elwes, Princess Bride era.

 

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

 

I watch Criminal Minds. I used to watch Numbers, before it got cancelled. I watched Without A Trace for a while. I still think the original Law & Order was the best, and when Jerry Orbach died, the series ought to have been over.

 

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

 

For the DIY series: Avery = Kate Hudson; Derek = Aaron Eckhart, Melissa = Leslie Bibb

 

A Cutthroat Business: Savannah = Faith Hill (yes, I know she's not an actress); Rafe = Shemar Moore  

 

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

 

I'm a pantser, mostly. I start out with an idea that takes me through the first 100 pages, roughly, and then I hit the wall. I do have a good idea how the book is gonna end, or at least who the murderer is, because it's difficult to get to where you're going otherwise. Especially with mysteries. There are clues that have to be sprinkled throughout, and that kind of thing. That said, I have very little idea what's gonna happen between the beginning and the end. I don't outline ahead of time. I find if I know too much about what's going on, it's no fun writing the book.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

 


Bente wrote:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

 

Can I go with the sixth? It's all sort of weird and intuitive. If not, then probably sight. I'm a very visual person.

 

Oh, that's a fabulous answer - I love it!

 


 

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

 

I wish I'd written the Harry Potter books. And not just because of the popularity, but because she must have had so much fun putting it all together.

 

 

I hear she had a lot of rejections for the first book. I bet those publishers are banging their heads now!

 

 


 

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

 

I've never seen Castle, and I don't know who Nathan Fillion is. I think I know what Gerard Butler looks like, and he isn't hot at all. Sorry. My personal celebrity crush at the moment is Shemar Moore, since he looks so much like the love interest in A Cutthroat Business. Beyond that, I've always like Josh Brolin and Cary Elwes, Princess Bride era.

 

 

Nathan Fillion got his start on a soap opera, and has been in several shows since then. As I mentioned, writer friends of mine came up with these questions. One of my critique partners is obsessed with Gerard Butler -- hence this question. Shemar Moore -- oh YES! I'm showing my age when I say my favorites lean toward Tom Hanks, Alan Rickman, Colin Firth and Pierce Brosnan.

 

 

 

 

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

 

I watch Criminal Minds. I used to watch Numbers, before it got cancelled. I watched Without A Trace for a while. I still think the original Law & Order was the best, and when Jerry Orbach died, the series ought to have been over.

 

 

So many authors I know are obsessed with Criminal Minds! I like it, but sometimes it's just too dark for me. My favorite is a British series called Midsomer Murders.

 

 

 

 

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

 

For the DIY series: Avery = Kate Hudson; Derek = Aaron Eckhart, Melissa = Leslie Bibb

 

A Cutthroat Business: Savannah = Faith Hill (yes, I know she's not an actress); Rafe = Shemar Moore  

 

 

 

Faith Hill and Shemar Moore? Okay, I want to read that book NOW!

 

 


 

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

 

I'm a pantser, mostly. I start out with an idea that takes me through the first 100 pages, roughly, and then I hit the wall. I do have a good idea how the book is gonna end, or at least who the murderer is, because it's difficult to get to where you're going otherwise. Especially with mysteries. There are clues that have to be sprinkled throughout, and that kind of thing. That said, I have very little idea what's gonna happen between the beginning and the end. I don't outline ahead of time. I find if I know too much about what's going on, it's no fun writing the book.


 

 

Thanks so much for answering all those nosy questions!

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

Bente - My husband commented that your name is similar to mine, at least the way I spell it. Your name is really unique - is it short for something? I like it!

Author
Bente
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

Becke - Bente is actually the short form of Benedicte, female of Benedict, but like Tamara/Tammy or Rebecca/Becky, it's used as its own name as well. It's a fairly common Norwegian name that's also used in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Holland, and other northern European countries. I grew up in Norway. Norwegian is my first language, English my second. I started learning it in school at 10 years old or so. It's pronounced Benta or Bentuh - or just as if the last e is said the same way as the first e. Hope that makes sense. 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JENNIE BENTLEY!

[ Edited ]

 


Bente wrote:

Becke - Bente is actually the short form of Benedicte, female of Benedict, but like Tamara/Tammy or Rebecca/Becky, it's used as its own name as well. It's a fairly common Norwegian name that's also used in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Holland, and other northern European countries. I grew up in Norway. Norwegian is my first language, English my second. I started learning it in school at 10 years old or so. It's pronounced Benta or Bentuh - or just as if the last e is said the same way as the first e. Hope that makes sense. 


 

 

That is very cool, and Benedicte is an absolutely beautiful name!

 

When I lived in England years ago, I used to work with a woman who grew up in Norway; her mother was English and her father was Norwegian. She said it was beautiful there. I was very impressed because she could knit very complex sweaters in Scandinavian designs without even following a pattern. 

 

Also, when I was growing up in a family with 5 children, we became friends with a Norwegian-American family who also had 5 kids almost the same ages. I've always loved their names: Gretchen, Johanna, Christian, Peter and Christina. The parents went on a long holiday to visit relatives in Norway and I remember being fascinated by the slides they took. It really is an amazing country! My father and brother have been there, but I never made it further north than Scotland.