becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

After reading the other anecdotes, I thought of one that might be appropriate here.  When I was a kid, I had roller skates, the old-fashioned kind that you fastened over your shoes with a key.  I wasn't very good at them, as I've never had good balance or coordination.  Sometimes I skated in the basement, and one day, for some reason, I decided to try one of those arabesque moves (leaning forward with one leg extended out in back), which I had never done before, so I clumsily soared across the floor, and right into my father's workbench with my forehead!  I can't remember if it cut me; I certainly didn't need stitches, but I also certainly leaned my place and ability level and never tried a stupid move like that again!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
JoelleCharbonneau
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 said:

When I was a kid, I had roller skates, the old-fashioned kind that you fastened over your shoes with a key.  I wasn't very good at them, as I've never had good balance or coordination.  Sometimes I skated in the basement, and one day, for some reason, I decided to try one of those arabesque moves (leaning forward with one leg extended out in back), which I had never done before, so I clumsily soared across the floor, and right into my father's workbench with my forehead!  I can't remember if it cut me; I certainly didn't need stitches, but I also certainly leaned my place and ability level and never tried a stupid move like that again!

Ouch!  But funny enough, I've heard more than one injury story involving skating in the basement.  I never had a basement growing up, which is probably why my injury stories aren't this interesting!

HAPPY 4th EVERYONE!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JoelleCharbonneau wrote:

dulcinea3 said:

When I was a kid, I had roller skates, the old-fashioned kind that you fastened over your shoes with a key.  I wasn't very good at them, as I've never had good balance or coordination.  Sometimes I skated in the basement, and one day, for some reason, I decided to try one of those arabesque moves (leaning forward with one leg extended out in back), which I had never done before, so I clumsily soared across the floor, and right into my father's workbench with my forehead!  I can't remember if it cut me; I certainly didn't need stitches, but I also certainly leaned my place and ability level and never tried a stupid move like that again!

Ouch!  But funny enough, I've heard more than one injury story involving skating in the basement.  I never had a basement growing up, which is probably why my injury stories aren't this interesting!

HAPPY 4th EVERYONE!

My kids were both into skating - my son, especially, loved inline skating. (Is that the right word for it? It's been awhile - like 15 years!) My daughter was skating in a cul de sac near our home wearing skates that laced up - they came up almost as high as ice skates. She hit a rock and flew through the air - because her ankles were encased in the tightly laced skates, there was no "give". She broke her ankle and two bones in her foot, putting her out of basketball for a whole year.

I was always more into ice skating - the Jaycees always flooded an area near my house every winter, turning it into a skating rink. We didn't have a roller rink in the area. I'm not a fan of icy cold weather, but the ice skating rink was free and convenient!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joelle - Your voice is stunning! I really enjoyed watching and listening to those video clips. I hope I get to see you perform live one of these days!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Good morning!  I'm worn out from packing boxes and clearing out rooms in the house we've lived in for 20 years. It's made me think about multi-tasking. Joelle, how do you squeeze everything in - writing, singing, performing and being the mother of a young child? There are only so many hours in the day, so I'm curious how you make room for it all!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Joelle:

Finished Skating Around The Law yesterday.

I would have to say that I am very impressed that this was your first novel. I found it to be an excellent read with humor and interesting characters, especially Elwood, the camel. It had a lot of twists which kept the story flowing and I was surprised at the end. Did not suspect this person at all. 

I will have to read the rest in this series and then move onto your Glee Club series.

I enjoyed watching the videos and your performance in The King and I very much. I just recently saw Mary Poppins and Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway. My husband and I are going back to New York in October for our anniversary and we will see another show and have dinner. We are also looking forward to our trip to Croatia for two weeks in September. My grandparents were born there and I am anxious to visit and see the towns they were born in.

Thanks for visiting with us and stop back soon!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
JoelleCharbonneau
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Joelle, how do you squeeze everything in - writing, singing, performing and being the mother of a young child? There are only so many hours in the day, so I'm curious how you make room for it all!

Hi Everyone!  Sorry I was absent for a while.  I took a quick trip down to Springfield, IL to do a booksigning for the Rainbow Girls and the hotel internet was out!  Sigh....

Becke - your question makes me laugh.  Techncially, there aren't enough hours int he day!  (And thanks for listening to my singing!)  I stopped performing stage shows when my son was born since it was hard to do 8 shows a week with a baby.  So, at the moment I concentrate on my son, my students and my deadlines.  I am very lucky that my 4 year old still takes a nap.  Otherwise, I might never sleep since I do most of my writing when he has his eyes closed.

Author
JoelleCharbonneau
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Finished Skating Around The Law yesterday.

I would have to say that I am very impressed that this was your first novel. I found it to be an excellent read with humor and interesting characters, especially Elwood, the camel. It had a lot of twists which kept the story flowing and I was surprised at the end. Did not suspect this person at all.

I will have to read the rest in this series and then move onto your Glee Club series.

Oh I am so glad you enjoyed Skating Around The Law.  I had so much fun writing it and Elwood the camel is one of my very favorite characters.  Skating Over The Line came out last year.  Skating On The Edge is due out on Oct. 2nd.

And I really hope if you read Murder For Choir that you like that cast of characters, too!

Thanks for watching the videos of the singing.  I love Broadway.  I'll be curious what shows you see while you are there.  And have a safe and wonderful trip to Croatia.  How exciting!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JoelleCharbonneau wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Joelle, how do you squeeze everything in - writing, singing, performing and being the mother of a young child? There are only so many hours in the day, so I'm curious how you make room for it all!

Hi Everyone!  Sorry I was absent for a while.  I took a quick trip down to Springfield, IL to do a booksigning for the Rainbow Girls and the hotel internet was out!  Sigh....

Becke - your question makes me laugh.  Techncially, there aren't enough hours int he day!  (And thanks for listening to my singing!)  I stopped performing stage shows when my son was born since it was hard to do 8 shows a week with a baby.  So, at the moment I concentrate on my son, my students and my deadlines.  I am very lucky that my 4 year old still takes a nap.  Otherwise, I might never sleep since I do most of my writing when he has his eyes closed.

JoelleCharbonneau wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

So THAT's the explanation!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joelle - Thanks so much for joining us this week! Come back again any time!

New User
easyreader50SV
0 Kudos

Sounds like fun! Will it be available for nook?

Author
JoelleCharbonneau
0 Kudos

easyreader50SV said:

I am happy to say that YES!  MURDER FOR CHOIR is available on the Nook:smileyhappy:

And Becke - thanks so much for having me here.  It is always an honor and a pleasure to talk to you and the B&N readers.  You all ROCK!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

JoelleCharbonne, hi sorry I am late to this. I have been busy. I love the titles of your books.

How do you come up with them?

I must check them out.

ReadingPatti

Author
JoelleCharbonneau
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti said:

JoelleCharbonne, hi sorry I am late to this. I have been busy. I love the titles of your books.

How do you come up with them?

I must check them out.

ReadingPatti

Hi Patti,

Titles are a funny thing.  A lot of authors don't need a title they love in order to start writing the book, but I do.  The title sets the tone for me.  I was lucky that SKATING AROUND THE LAW came immediately to mind.  Since the book had a roller rink in it, I wanted something in the title to reflect that.  Luckily, the publisher loved that title and coming up with new titles that have the same feel is much easier than starting from scratch.

For Murder For Choir, I admit I'm not sure why that title popped into my head, although I did want the book to reflect the subject matter!  My editor at Berkley loved that title and they are thrilled with the title to book 2 - END ME A TENOR (which is a play on the play Lend Me A Tenor - which I love!). 

So far I'm 9 for 9 on keeping my titles.  (If you include the Young Adult books that will be published from Houghton Miffin Harcourt next year.) I'm starting to feel some pressure to keep the streak alive.  I'll let you know if I do!

And I hope if you read the books you enjoy them.  I know I love writing them!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JoelleCharbonneau wrote:

easyreader50SV said:

I am happy to say that YES!  MURDER FOR CHOIR is available on the Nook:smileyhappy:

And Becke - thanks so much for having me here.  It is always an honor and a pleasure to talk to you and the B&N readers.  You all ROCK!

Here's the link:

Murder for Choir  

Author
DianneCastell
0 Kudos

Hi, Joelle

With Cincy hosting the Chior Games this title fits right in. Love the cover and adding it to my TBR pile. 

Keep those great reads coming

Iced Chiffon
Berkley Prime Crime
Oct 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DianneCastell wrote:

Hi, Joelle

With Cincy hosting the Chior Games this title fits right in. Love the cover and adding it to my TBR pile. 

Keep those great reads coming

Dianne - ((hugs)) WONDERFUL to see you here!