Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
JoelleCharbonneau
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

Thanks for stopping by!  I admit, I am a believer that most people can sing. Those who have trouble singing just need some pointers in technique (breathing and where to put the sound in their mouth) and confidence.  There are a few occassions where people have a more difficult time learning.  Those involve paralyzed vocal chords or being tone deaf, but those instances are very unusual.  In all of my years of teaching, I've never found anyone who has bee afflicted with those. 

 

So-yes!  Everyone can sing.  (It just sometimes takes a little, or a lot, of practice.)

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

Hi, Joelle, I have never read any of your books but will definitely check them out. Welcome to the forum and have a great week here.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
JoelleCharbonneau
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

"I love the picture of you from your website, where you are performing in a musical. It reminds me of some pictures I have of my mom - she performed in both high school and college. I'll see if I can find them."

 

Becke - I think that production was one done in the western suburbs.  I got to perform that version of the Kind and I with a real pro.  I think Bill (who played our King) had played that role over two dozen times in his career...many of those instances were on tour starting when he was in his 20s.  He was spectacular and so much fun to work with.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!


JoelleCharbonneau wrote:

"I love the picture of you from your website, where you are performing in a musical. It reminds me of some pictures I have of my mom - she performed in both high school and college. I'll see if I can find them."

 

Becke - I think that production was one done in the western suburbs.  I got to perform that version of the Kind and I with a real pro.  I think Bill (who played our King) had played that role over two dozen times in his career...many of those instances were on tour starting when he was in his 20s.  He was spectacular and so much fun to work with.


That must have been quite a challenging role for you - and exciting, too!

 

I can't remember what my mom was in, except one was a Gilbert & Sullivan production. Darn, I wonder where those pictures are? 

 

Lots of singers in my family - my grandfather on my mom's side was an operatic tenor, and my dad's mom was a singer, too. My cousin on my dad's side is an opera singer (she's performed all over the U.S. and across Europe) and it looks like her daughter has that talent, too. It missed me, however. :-(

 

This is my cousin:

 

http://zander-wall.com/Bio.html

 

 

With all the music (and mystery) lovers in my family, I know your books will go down well. Thanks for giving me a great gift idea!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

Hi Joelle!  I remember your previous visit, and that you were a singer (as well as a skater).  How great that you are working that interest into another series!  I imagine that with the great success of the TV show Glee, that will give you an even wider audience for your books.  I was in the glee club in fifth grade; not sure exactly why, because I don't think I sing very well, but I was thrilled when the music teacher selected me!  All I remember is a Christmas concert; we sang Sleigh Ride, Adeste Fidelis, and Holly, Jolly Christmas, among others.  I still remember the harmonies or counterpoint that we did (and the lyrics to Adeste Fidelis, even though I didn't understand them!).

 

Welcome back!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
JoelleCharbonneau
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

"Hi Joelle!  I remember your previous visit, and that you were a singer (as well as a skater).  How great that you are working that interest into another series!  I imagine that with the great success of the TV show Glee, that will give you an even wider audience for your books.  I was in the glee club in fifth grade; not sure exactly why, because I don't think I sing very well, but I was thrilled when the music teacher selected me!  All I remember is a Christmas concert; we sang Sleigh Ride, Adeste Fidelis, and Holly, Jolly Christmas, among others.  I still remember the harmonies or counterpoint that we did (and the lyrics to Adeste Fidelis, even though I didn't understand them!)."

 

I love that you still remember the harmonies from when you were in 5th grade.  It shows how great experiences with music can continue to influence - even in a small way - our lives.  I happen to be a really big proponent of Music Education in our schools if you can't tell! 

 

And funny enough, I remember you very well from our last visit.  Your posting name, Dulcinea, always reminds me of Man Of La Mancha!

 

Thanks for the welcome:smileyhappy:  I'm so thrilled to be back here.

Author
JoelleCharbonneau
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!


That must have been quite a challenging role for you - and exciting, too!

 

I can't remember what my mom was in, except one was a Gilbert & Sullivan production. Darn, I wonder where those pictures are?

 

Lots of singers in my family - my grandfather on my mom's side was an operatic tenor, and my dad's mom was a singer, too. My cousin on my dad's side is an opera singer (she's performed all over the U.S. and across Europe) and it looks like her daughter has that talent, too. It missed me, however. :-(

 


Becke - the role was challenging and one of my favorites.  I've gotten pretty good at navigating the stage in a hoop skirt.  And wow!  I was just surfing your cousin's website.  You have quite the talent in the family!  We need to get everyone together for a sing-a-long.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!


JoelleCharbonneau wrote:

That must have been quite a challenging role for you - and exciting, too!

 

I can't remember what my mom was in, except one was a Gilbert & Sullivan production. Darn, I wonder where those pictures are?

 

Lots of singers in my family - my grandfather on my mom's side was an operatic tenor, and my dad's mom was a singer, too. My cousin on my dad's side is an opera singer (she's performed all over the U.S. and across Europe) and it looks like her daughter has that talent, too. It missed me, however. :-(

 


Becke - the role was challenging and one of my favorites.  I've gotten pretty good at navigating the stage in a hoop skirt.  And wow!  I was just surfing your cousin's website.  You have quite the talent in the family!  We need to get everyone together for a sing-a-long.


Maybe after I move back to Chicago I'll get to see you perform sometime - I'd love that!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

Joelle - Will you be writing any more of the skating mysteries? I'd be sad to see that series end!

 

Can you give us any hints about the next book in your glee club series, or are you still working on it?

Author
JoelleCharbonneau
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!



Joelle - Will you be writing any more of the skating mysteries? I'd be sad to see that series end!

 

Can you give us any hints about the next book in your glee club series, or are you still working on it?


 

Becke - I'm thrilled to say that there will be more skating books.  Book three - Skating on the Edge, will hit shelves on Oct. 2nd and Skating Under The Wire will come out next year.  After that, we'll have to see what my publisher says, but I love writing them and I, too, would hate to see the series come to an end.

 

As for the next Glee Club mystery--I'm happy to say END ME A TENOR was turned into my editor last month!  It is due out April 2nd, 2013 and I just got the cover copy, which means I can give you a sneak peak.

 

Singing in a production of The Messiah and rehearsing her show choir for a holiday concert may be more than Paige can Handel. Not only does she have to contend with the overblown ego of world-renowned tenor David Richards, she now has to quickly revamp the show choir’s number, since not one but two other high schools are performing the same song for the quickly approaching competition season.
 
The tempestuous tenor may have a voice to die for, but when he drops dead during rehearsal after drinking poisoned water, Paige has to compose herself and once again solo as a sleuth to find a killer who’s no choirboy…
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!


JoelleCharbonneau wrote:


Joelle - Will you be writing any more of the skating mysteries? I'd be sad to see that series end!

 

Can you give us any hints about the next book in your glee club series, or are you still working on it?


 

Becke - I'm thrilled to say that there will be more skating books.  Book three - Skating on the Edge, will hit shelves on Oct. 2nd and Skating Under The Wire will come out next year.  After that, we'll have to see what my publisher says, but I love writing them and I, too, would hate to see the series come to an end.

 

As for the next Glee Club mystery--I'm happy to say END ME A TENOR was turned into my editor last month!  It is due out April 2nd, 2013 and I just got the cover copy, which means I can give you a sneak peak.

 

Singing in a production of The Messiah and rehearsing her show choir for a holiday concert may be more than Paige can Handel. Not only does she have to contend with the overblown ego of world-renowned tenor David Richards, she now has to quickly revamp the show choir’s number, since not one but two other high schools are performing the same song for the quickly approaching competition season.
 
The tempestuous tenor may have a voice to die for, but when he drops dead during rehearsal after drinking poisoned water, Paige has to compose herself and once again solo as a sleuth to find a killer who’s no choirboy…

What a FABULOUS title! Maybe it's funnier to me because "Lend me a tenner" is such a common British expression (my husband is a Brit) and because of the allusion to "Lend Me a Tenor." Very cool!

 

I'm so glad there will be more skating mysteries, too!

 

By the way, I forgot to ask about your family. Is your husband still playing in the Blues Brothers tribute band? How's your little tyke doing?

Author
JoelleCharbonneau
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!


Becke_Martin wrote:

 

What a FABULOUS title! Maybe it's funnier to me because "Lend me a tenner" is such a common British expression (my husband is a Brit) and because of the allusion to "Lend Me a Tenor." Very cool!

 

I'm so glad there will be more skating mysteries, too!

 

By the way, I forgot to ask about your family. Is your husband still playing in the Blues Brothers tribute band? How's your little tyke doing?


 

 

 

I'm so glad you like the title.  So far, I've kept all of the titles I started with.  I'm not sure how that happened.

 

And my husband is still playing in the Blues Brothers band.  In fact, we'll be watching him play before the fireworks tomorrow.  And the little tyke is getting bigger all the time.  He's 4 1/2 and had a recent adventure that involved the ER.  I'm told kids hitting doing damage to the bottom of their chin is a very common injury.  The good news is he's a real trooper and we actually had fun in the ER. 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!


JoelleCharbonneau wrote:

Becke_Martin wrote:

 

What a FABULOUS title! Maybe it's funnier to me because "Lend me a tenner" is such a common British expression (my husband is a Brit) and because of the allusion to "Lend Me a Tenor." Very cool!

 

I'm so glad there will be more skating mysteries, too!

 

By the way, I forgot to ask about your family. Is your husband still playing in the Blues Brothers tribute band? How's your little tyke doing?


 

 

 

I'm so glad you like the title.  So far, I've kept all of the titles I started with.  I'm not sure how that happened.

 

And my husband is still playing in the Blues Brothers band.  In fact, we'll be watching him play before the fireworks tomorrow.  And the little tyke is getting bigger all the time.  He's 4 1/2 and had a recent adventure that involved the ER.  I'm told kids hitting doing damage to the bottom of their chin is a very common injury.  The good news is he's a real trooper and we actually had fun in the ER. 


Okay, I'm trying to figure out how my signature showed up as Becke_Martin instead of Becke_Davis. Weird things happen on this site occasionally, but this is a first!

 

Are there Youtube videos of your husband's band? If so, I can post one here.

 

I hope your little guy wasn't hurt too badly - it sounds scary! Give him an extra hug from me. Does he have your hair? I'm going to be a grandma in about a month and the odds are favorable for a redhead. I can hardly wait!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

[ Edited ]
When my daughter, Meredith, was 5, I took her to get her first library card. She was so excited, she tripped on a frayed piece of carpet and went head first into a table leg and split open her forehead. She jumped up into my arms with blood gushing all over. A man grabbed her and laid her on the table and put his handkerchief on her forehead and yelled for someone to call an ambulance. The hospital was only down the road so it was not too far to get her stitches. I faint at the sight of blood, so I was sitting on a chair holding her hand with my head between my knees while they were stitching her forehead. I'm halfway thru Skating Around The Law. Can't wait to finish the book to see who the murderer is. It's really a good read. Spent the day packing for the beach, so I'll have more time tomorrow to finish the book. Sorry but I haven't figured out have to make paragraphs on my ipad. It just doesn't keep the spaces after I hit POST.
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
JoelleCharbonneau
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!


becke_davis wrote:

 

Okay, I'm trying to figure out how my signature showed up as Becke_Martin instead of Becke_Davis. Weird things happen on this site occasionally, but this is a first!

 

Are there Youtube videos of your husband's band? If so, I can post one here.

 

I hope your little guy wasn't hurt too badly - it sounds scary! Give him an extra hug from me. Does he have your hair? I'm going to be a grandma in about a month and the odds are favorable for a redhead. I can hardly wait!


HA!  If there is a way to confound technology, I will be the one to do it.

 

Yes...here is a link for my husband's Blooze Brothers tribute band.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROFIZVtIysk  (Oh..there's also a youtube channel under my name with a few videos from when I did King and I.)

 

And nope-the tot is free of the red hair.  He's more brown.  Which is good.  I burn at the drop of a hat!  And while he did a number on his chin, it could have been worse.  The next day he was ready to go back to the same playground where it happened!

Author
JoelleCharbonneau
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎06-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!


eadieburke wrote:

 

When my daughter, Meredith, was 5, I took her to get her first library card. She was so excited, she tripped on a frayed piece of carpet and went head first into a table leg and split open her forehead. She jumped up into my arms with blood gushing all over. A man grabbed her and laid her on the table and put his handkerchief on her forehead and yelled for someone to call an ambulance. The hospital was only down the road so it was not too far to get her stitches. I faint at the sight of blood, so I was sitting on a chair holding her hand with my head between my knees while they were stitching her forehead. I'm halfway thru Skating Around The Law. Can't wait to finish the book to see who the murderer is. It's really a good read. Spent the day packing for the beach, so I'll have more time tomorrow to finish the book. Sorry but I haven't figured out have to make paragraphs on my ipad. It just doesn't keep the spaces after I hit POST.


It is amazing how much kids can scare us!  But what interesting stories we end up because of those scary moments.

 

And YAY!  i am thrilled you are enjoying Skating Around The Law.  Rebecca, Pop, Elwood and the gang are favorites of mine to write!  I hope you enjoy the rest while you lay on the beach.  (I am jealous of the beach!!!!  But the redhead in me knows I'd burn.)

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOELLE CHARBONNEAU!