becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JOSHUA GRAHAM!

Joshua_Graham wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Joshua - What do you do when you Really Should Be Writing?

LOL!  The quick answer is, "Eating Snickers!"

But I do a lot of communicating with my friends and fans on facebook, emails, and I probably spend a lot of time telling different places on the internet about my book.  When I should be writing, I often find myself handling things of every day life like paying the bills, doing laundry, thinking about what my next book will be.  I do give myself time off, and I don't consider that time as "really should be writing" time.  In that down time, I love hanging out with my friends, playing Texas Holdem (I just won this weekend, woot!) and just doing life with my best friends.

Ooooh...Snickers! (It's dangerous to mention chocolate on this board!)

Author
Joshua_Graham
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

eadieburke wrote:

Joshua:

Your epic/fantasy book, ONCE WE WERE KINGS  , looks very interesting also. Would you say that your favorite genres and authors - religious and spiritual, (Lewis, Lucado and Osteen) thriller/horror, (Koontz and King) have influenced you to go into that genre or has the epic/fantasy genre always been of interest to you?

Thank you, eadieburke!  ONCE WE WERE KINGS   is a very personal book and in answering your questions, I'll explain why.

I would definitely say that all those authors I listed are an influence in my writing, and some an influence in my life.  I have written mostly in the Myster/Thriller/Suspense genre, and while I enjoy epic fantasy, I've never had the opportunity to write it before. 

A few years ago, when my son was six years old, we were reading THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA together.  He adores those books (as do I) and can tell you all the titles, characters, plot lines, from memory.  One day, when he was 6, while reading him THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER, he looked up at me and said, "Daddy, will you write me a book?"  The rest is history.  There could be no higher commission to fulfill.  It took a few years, but I finally completed it.

When the hardcover ARC arrived at our house last week, the excitement was palpable.  And of course, I was obliged to read them (my son and daughter, to whom it is dedicated) a few chapters.  They insisted I read it in a "English" accent, despite the fact that I told them that it is we Americans who speak with an accent.

Whereas the other authors have influenced my writing style, C.S. Lewis' writing has influenced not just my writing, but my thinking and values as well.  He was a brilliant scholar, writer and theologian.

ONCE WE WERE KINGS  

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Joshua_Graham wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Joshua:

Your epic/fantasy book, ONCE WE WERE KINGS, looks very interesting also. Would you say that your favorite genres and authors - religious and spiritual, (Lewis, Lucado and Osteen) thriller/horror, (Koontz and King) have influenced you to go into that genre or has the epic/fantasy genre always been of interest to you?

Thank you, eadieburke!  ONCE WE WERE KINGS is a very personal book and in answering your questions, I'll explain why.

I would definitely say that all those authors I listed are an influence in my writing, and some an influence in my life.  I have written mostly in the Myster/Thriller/Suspense genre, and while I enjoy epic fantasy, I've never had the opportunity to write it before. 

A few years ago, when my son was six year old, we were reading THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA together.  He adores those books (as do I) and can tell you all the titles, characters, plot lines, from memory.  One day, when he was 6, while reading him THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER, he looked up at me and said, "Daddy, will you write me a book?"  The rest is history.  There could be no higher commission to fulfill.  It took a few years, but I finally completed it.

When the hardcover ARC arrived at our house last week, the excitement was palpable.  And of course, I was obliged to read them (my son and daughter, to whom it is dedicated) a few chapters.  They insisted I read it in a "English" accent, despite the fact that I told them that it is we Americans who speak with an accent.

Whereas the other authors have influenced my writing style, C.S. Lewis' writing has influenced not just my writing, but my thinking and values as well.  He was a brilliant scholar, writer and theologian.

ONCE WE WERE KINGS  

Joshua:

Thanks for your very touching response! I also love C S Lewis's writing. Is it your hope to write a series that would also teach very valuable lessons such as C S Lewis?

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joshua_Graham wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Joshua:

Your epic/fantasy book, ONCE WE WERE KINGS  , looks very interesting also. Would you say that your favorite genres and authors - religious and spiritual, (Lewis, Lucado and Osteen) thriller/horror, (Koontz and King) have influenced you to go into that genre or has the epic/fantasy genre always been of interest to you?

Thank you, eadieburke!  ONCE WE WERE KINGS   is a very personal book and in answering your questions, I'll explain why.

A few years ago, when my son was six years old, we were reading THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA together.  He adores those books (as do I) and can tell you all the titles, characters, plot lines, from memory.  One day, when he was 6, while reading him THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER, he looked up at me and said, "Daddy, will you write me a book?"  The rest is history.  There could be no higher commission to fulfill.  It took a few years, but I finally completed it.

ONCE WE WERE KINGS  

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story with us! What a gift to your children!

Author
Joshua_Graham
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

ONCE WE WERE KINGS  

Joshua:

Thanks for your very touching response! I also love C S Lewis's writing. Is it your hope to write a series that would also teach very valuable lessons such as C S Lewis?

Indeed, it is my hope to write a series that captivates the minds and hearts of children from ages 8 to 98!  At the very heart of it all is a story.  But if it happens to resonate and the inner messages cause a positive change in how readers (especially young readers) see themselves, from where their significance is derived, and to overcome prejudice, then I will be even more satisfied that I have done my job as writer, and as a father who has left a worthwhile legacy for his children.
Author
Joshua_Graham
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke!  :smileyhappy:  This is a wonderful place to share and discuss.  I truly appreciate this opportunity.

becke_davis wrote:

ONCE WE WERE KINGS  

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story with us! What a gift to your children!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Joshua_Graham wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

ONCE WE WERE KINGS  

Joshua:

Indeed, it is my hope to write a series that captivates the minds and hearts of children from ages 8 to 98!  At the very heart of it all is a story.  But if it happens to resonate and the inner messages cause a positive change in how readers (especially young readers) see themselves, from where their significance is derived, and to overcome prejudice, then I will be even more satisfied that I have done my job as writer, and as a father who has left a worthwhile legacy for his children.

Wow! You just gave me goosebumps! That really would be a worthwhile legacy! I wish you well on your journey to accomplish your mission!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Joshua_Graham
0 Kudos

I just thought I'd share some fan mail I've received for BEYOND JUSTICE

They can all be read here on my testimonials page: http://joshua-graham.com/books/reader-testimonials/ 

“…I did not put it down, from start to finish. He had me crying in the first chapter, confused, dazed, mesmerized, and astounded throughout the entirety, and sobbing at the beautiful, poignant ending. I was feverishly reading, unable to stop, but then completely saddened when the journey was over. I am pleasantly exhausted, after riding this emotional roller coaster, and I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. It is a must read!
~Cindy-Lee M.S

“I sobbed at the end of Beyond Justice. I wanted to wake my babies up and hug them and kiss them and hug them some more. Tearing up now as I type. It’s a very moving book and makes me appreciate my family and my life even more
~Stacey B.

“…The story is impactful on so many levels, spiritually, soul searching and forgiving. I could not put it down.”
~Amy S.

“…Moments ago I finished reading Beyond Justice. I was moved to tears more than once. What an amazing and emotional novel. It is not often I am moved so profoundly. I have had a tumultuous relationship with God over the last 15 years and you, Joshua, have brought me back home. Thank you, sir.”
~Kim L.

“Just finished your book! Everyone raved about it on the nook page so I thought I’d give it a try. WOW. Not what I expected. It was a pleasant and kind of strange surprise that I happened along this wonderful book (or should I say message) this week!  I have been struggling with somethings right now and your book put things into perspective. You have a special talent and I thank you :)
~Jennifer T.

Thanks again for featuring me here, I hope you'll spread the word if you like my books enough.

BEYOND JUSTICE  

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Joshua_Graham wrote:

I just thought I'd share some fan mail I've received for BEYOND JUSTICE

They can all be read here on my testimonials page: http://joshua-graham.com/books/reader-testimonials/ 

“…I did not put it down, from start to finish. He had me crying in the first chapter, confused, dazed, mesmerized, and astounded throughout the entirety, and sobbing at the beautiful, poignant ending. I was feverishly reading, unable to stop, but then completely saddened when the journey was over. I am pleasantly exhausted, after riding this emotional roller coaster, and I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. It is a must read!
~Cindy-Lee M.S

“I sobbed at the end of Beyond Justice. I wanted to wake my babies up and hug them and kiss them and hug them some more. Tearing up now as I type. It’s a very moving book and makes me appreciate my family and my life even more
~Stacey B.

“…The story is impactful on so many levels, spiritually, soul searching and forgiving. I could not put it down.”
~Amy S.

“…Moments ago I finished reading Beyond Justice. I was moved to tears more than once. What an amazing and emotional novel. It is not often I am moved so profoundly. I have had a tumultuous relationship with God over the last 15 years and you, Joshua, have brought me back home. Thank you, sir.”
~Kim L.

“Just finished your book! Everyone raved about it on the nook page so I thought I’d give it a try. WOW. Not what I expected. It was a pleasant and kind of strange surprise that I happened along this wonderful book (or should I say message) this week!  I have been struggling with somethings right now and your book put things into perspective. You have a special talent and I thank you :)
~Jennifer T.

Thanks again for featuring me here, I hope you'll spread the word if you like my books enough.

BEYOND JUSTICE  

Welcome, Joshua to the Forum.  I too must admit I am not familiar with your books, but now that I have read this thread, I am intrigued.  I definitely will be adding your books to my TBR list.  I am particularly interested in BEYOND JUSTICE  , so that will most likely be the first one I will add to my Nook.

Author
Joshua_Graham
0 Kudos

Thank you, seasanddollar!  I hope it will live up to your expectations.  :smileyhappy:

seasanddollar wrote:

BEYOND JUSTICE  

Welcome, Joshua to the Forum.  I too must admit I am not familiar with your books, but now that I have read this thread, I am intrigued.  I definitely will be adding your books to my TBR list.  I am particularly interested in BEYOND JUSTICE  , so that will most likely be the first one I will add to my Nook.

Author
Joshua_Graham
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Did you ever ask yourself, "Why?" when something tragic happens?  Have you ever been able only in hindsight to find the answer?  I'd love to hear about your experiences, which in this way are similar to BEYOND JUSTICE protagonist Sam Hudson's.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joshua_Graham wrote:

Did you ever ask yourself, "Why?" when something tragic happens?  Have you ever been able only in hindsight to find the answer?  I'd love to hear about your experiences, which in this way are similar to BEYOND JUSTICE protagonist Sam Hudson's.

Joshua - It sounds like you have a backstory to this book. Is it something you can share with us?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Awhile back I asked friends who attended the Reader Appreciation Day at the West Chester, Ohio Barnes & Noble to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors. Here are a few of the questions they came up with:

1) Which of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) Do you have a favorite of your own books?

3) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

4) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

Author
Joshua_Graham
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Answers to Becke's questions:

1) Which of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?  Probably sound, and also sight.  Texture taste and smell don't come up as much as the latter and former, but I would like to use them more.

That's like saying to you have favorite children.  :smileyhappy:  That said, I think the last three novels I wrote are better than the first two I wrote before them.

I used to love watching The Practice, LOST, 24, Heroes.  Now, the best show I've seen recently is The Good Wife and Combat Hospital.

Interesting.  I have an entire thread in my blog about this called the BEYOND JUSTICE virtual casting call.  For Sam Hudson, some have suggested Matthew McCaughnahey, Josh Holloway, or Ben Affleck.  For DARKROOM, for Xandra Carrick I thought of Ming-Na, or Rachel McAdams, but we'll have to leave that to the producers and directors, I suppose.  Don't know if I'll ever get to have a say in it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joshua_Graham wrote:
Answers to Becke's questions:

1) Which of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?  Probably sound, and also sight.  Texture taste and smell don't come up as much as the latter and former, but I would like to use them more.

That's like saying to you have favorite children.  :smileyhappy:  That said, I think the last three novels I wrote are better than the first two I wrote before them.

I used to love watching The Practice, LOST, 24, Heroes.  Now, the best show I've seen recently is The Good Wife and Combat Hospital.

Interesting.  I have an entire thread in my blog about this called the BEYOND JUSTICE virtual casting call.  For Sam Hudson, some have suggested Matthew McCaughnahey, Josh Holloway, or Ben Affleck.  For DARKROOM, for Xandra Carrick I thought of Ming-Na, or Rachel McAdams, but we'll have to leave that to the producers and directors, I suppose.  Don't know if I'll ever get to have a say in it.

Joshua, I noticed the post about Ben Affleck on your blog. If any of your books get optioned for movies, be sue to let us know!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joshua - Thank you so much for spending time with us today! You may want to check back later to see if there are more comments here.

This is "your" thread now, and you are welcome to post updates here any time you like. We'd love to hear about new releases, new book cover images, award nominations or any other news. We especially like to hear about Barnes & Noble book signings!

Do come back and visit again soon!

Author
Joshua_Graham
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Becke!  I hope to chat with more people here as time goes on.

becke_davis wrote:

Joshua - Thank you so much for spending time with us today! You may want to check back later to see if there are more comments here.

This is "your" thread now, and you are welcome to post updates here any time you like. We'd love to hear about new releases, new book cover images, award nominations or any other news. We especially like to hear about Barnes & Noble book signings!

Do come back and visit again soon!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joshua - This thread will be highlighted through the end of the month, so I'm sure more comments will be added between now and then!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Joshua - This thread will be highlighted through the end of the month, so I'm sure more comments will be added between now and then!

Indeed, becke. I'd like to join the others who are welcoming Joshua to our forum. I'm feeling a bit sheepish that I haven't heard of your books before this, Joshua, so I'm certainly adding several of them to my TBR pile. I admit, I'm very intrigued by your using the word "Accidental" in a number of your books, especially as it seems to add a bit of irony, such as The Accidental Exorcist ort The Accidental Poltereist.

I do  have to wonder how one would become an exorcist by accident, and ditto for poltergeist, as well as some of the other "accidental" protagonists of your books. I'm wondering if the title is something you thought up, and that gave your book a specific focus as you were writing, or if the title was something your editor came up with.

I see you list CS Lewis as one of your favorite authors. Which one of his books do you like the best--do you like his fiction, like the Narnia series, or his non fiction works, like Mere Christianity ? ( His The Screwtape Letters, is one of my favorites of his work)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Indeed, becke. I'd like to join the others who are welcoming Joshua to our forum. I'm feeling a bit sheepish that I haven't heard of your books before this, Joshua, so I'm certainly adding several of them to my TBR pile. I admit, I'm very intrigued by your using the word "Accidental" in a number of your books, especially as it seems to add a bit of irony, such as The Accidental Exorcist ort The Accidental Poltereist.

I do  have to wonder how one would become an exorcist by accident, and ditto for poltergeist, as well as some of the other "accidental" protagonists of your books. I'm wondering if the title is something you thought up, and that gave your book a specific focus as you were writing, or if the title was something your editor came up with.

I see you list CS Lewis as one of your favorite authors. Which one of his books do you like the best--do you like his fiction, like the Narnia series, or his non fiction works, like Mere Christianity ? ( His The Screwtape Letters, is one of my favorites of his work)

Fricka - This is unrelated to Joshua's books, but when my husband was out the other day he heard a woman call to her child - his name was Aslan! I wonder if this is a new trend?