Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author JULIE GARWOOD!

This week's featured guest is New York Times best-selling author ( 24 times!!) JULIE GARWOOD! 

She writes historicals and romantic suspense - over 36 million of her books are in print.

#1 New York Times bestselling author and queen of romance, Julie Garwood, returns this August with her latest scorcher, SWEET TALK.

Booklist raves "when it comes to striking the balance between sexy romance and spine-tingling suspense...Garwood is unrivaled," and Publishers Weekly praises SWEET TALK for its "great plot...and red-hot romance." More about the plot below, if you are interested!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JULIE GARWOOD!

It's no surprise that Julie Garwood became a writer. Growing up in a large family of Irish heritage, she took to storytelling naturally. "The Irish relish getting all the details of every situation," she explains. "Add in the fact that I was the sixth of seven children. Early in life I learned that self-expression had to be forceful, imaginative, and quick."

Creating stories was always a passion for Julie, but she didn't focus on making it a career until the youngest of her three children entered school. After the publications of two young adult books, she turned her interests to historical fiction. Her first novel, GENTLE WARRIOR, was published in 1985, and there has been a steady parade of bestsellers ever since. Today more than 35 million copies of her books are in print, and they are translated in dozens of languages around the world. One of her most popular novels, FOR THE ROSES, was adapted for a HALLMARK HALL OF FAME production on CBS.

Whether the setting be medieval Scotland, Regency England, frontier Montana, or modern-day Louisiana, her themes are consistent: family, loyalty, and honor. Readers claim that it's the humor as well as poignancy of her novels that keep them coming back for more. Julie described her goals this way: "I want my readers to laugh and cry and fall in love. Basically, I want them to escape into another world for a little while and afterwards to feel as though they've been on a great adventure." 

Julie lives in Leawood, Kansas, and is currently working on her next novel.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Frequently Asked Questions:

Will you be writing more historical romances?

I don't have one scheduled, but I hope I can get back to medieval Scotland before too long. There are a couple of clans I want to check in on. I'll try to keep you posted on what stories are coming up by making announcements here on my web site.

Will you be writing sequels for any of the characters in your older books?

I love looking in on old friends, so I'm sure I'll be writing about characters from previous books again. My latest book, THE IDEAL MAN, features new characters, but if you look closely toward the end of the book, you'll see that I've mentioned one of the Buchanans, the family that was at the center of some of my earlier contemporary novels.

How long does it take you to write a book?

It varies, but from the start of the manuscript to the final book in the stores, it takes about a year. I wish I could write several at once, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

How can I get all your books in hardcover?

The earlier books were printed only in paperback except for a few library editions. I'm told that people have actually found all the hardcover copies by searching on the internet for them, but even I don't have them all.

What is your favorite book? And who is your favorite character?

It's hard to pick favorites. Whatever book I'm writing has my full attention, so my favorite characters are usually the ones I'm spending the most time with.

What's your advice for someone who wants to be a writer?

I have four pieces of advice. One, set aside some time each and every day to work on your writing. It's important to develop the discipline and to get into a rhythm. Two, join a writers group or take writing classes where you'll get feedback and encouragement. Romance Writers of America has chapters all over the country. To learn more about them, check out their website, rwanational.org. Three, attend writers conferences and seminars because they'll give you opportunities to network with agents and editors. And four, write what you love. If you're enjoying the story, your enthusiasm will come through in your words.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Julie's website is here:http://www.juliegarwood.com/index.asp

Check out her virtual office: http://www.juliegarwood.com/VirtualOffice.asp

She's on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/JulieGarwood

And she's on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/juliegarwood

becke_davis
0 Kudos

August 07, 2012

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sweet Talk  

Sweet Talk

Overview

In the new contemporary romance from #1 New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood, a detective and a lawyer are falling in love— and making a federal case out of it.

When FBI agent Grayson Kincaid first encounters Olivia MacKenzie, she makes quite an impression.

The beautiful, tough, young attorney has stumbled into the middle of an FBI sting operation and has reduced it to chaos. Months of surveillance and careful planning down the drain, Kincaid’s partner is furious and lets Olivia know that she’s ticked off the wrong guy. After all, he’s FBI.

Olivia isn’t intimidated by his partner’s bullying because she’s something even scarier . . . she’s IRS.

And working for the IRS isn’t for the faint of heart. She’s on the trail of an elaborate Ponzi scheme, one that threatens to ruin the lives of naive and unsuspecting victims, and one she has personal reasons to be angry about. But after she asks questions of the wrong people, her life is suddenly endangered. She’s accustomed to fighting for the underdog but being vulnerable herself is a very different story. Smart enough to know when to call for reinforcements, she contacts Grayson Kincaid.

Together they make an excellent team to fight corruption but Olivia is also fighting the immediate and intense attraction she feels for Agent Kincaid, and that may be a battle she is bound to lose.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome JULIE GARWOOD!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Julie: Haven't read any of your books but I think I need to rectify that! Enjoy your visit with us!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Julie, welcome, I hope you have a great visit. I have read many of your books. I love them. I read the Ideal man. I loved it. I just got Sweet Talk from the library I work at. I am going to be starting it soon.

I have many of your books. I love your characters and the story lines.

I love your advice to aspiring writers. I have written some myself and I am going to take your advice. I must see about the Romance Writers chapter in PA.

So have a great visit and keep those books coming.

Love them.

ReadingPatti

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Julie HI!!!!!

I'm so excited to be visiting with one of my all time favorite authors I love both your contemporary and your historical novels and Sweet Talk is next on my read pile, it was a special gift from a very special person (you know who you are :smileyhappy:  )

I'll check back later after I plug this guest visit EVERYWHERE  :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Okay I'm back I've adertised the visit

Julie, I was wondering if you have a favorite genre to write

do you have a favorite of all your books

thanks 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Julie, welcome to the Forum. I also haven't read any of your books but intend to soon. Please enjoy your stay with us this week.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
juliegarwood1
0 Kudos

Happy to be here. Hope you like my books.
Author
juliegarwood1
0 Kudos

I love talking to other writers!  Hope your writing is going well.  And thank you for your kind words about my work.

Author
juliegarwood1
0 Kudos

Happy to hear you like the historicals and the contemporaries.  I  have fun going back and forth.  I love "visiting" the middle ages every now and then but  I also love writing about big families like the Buchanans and the MacBains.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome, Julie to our forum! I see that you live in Leawood, Kansas, which is located not too far from one of my favorite city/towns in the world, Lawrence. I went to grad school there, and found that Eastern Kansas is sooo much different from NW Kansas, where my parents had settled. In particular, I loved the fact that there were four distinct seasons, and I particularly enjoyed Autumn there. Out of curiousity, what's your favorite season in your neck of the woods?

Second question--have you ever used Eastern Kansas as a setting for one of your books?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

FINALLY! I'm so sorry I'm late to Julie's party - I lost my internet and have been in panic mode all morning trying to get it back.

Julie - Thank you sooooo much for joining us!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Okay I'm back I've adertised the visit

Julie, I was wondering if you have a favorite genre to write

do you have a favorite of all your books

thanks 

Thanks, Debbie! I've been frantic without access to my computer - what a morning! Luckily I posted the links on Facebook last night.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

juliegarwood1 wrote:

I love talking to other writers!  Hope your writing is going well.  And thank you for your kind words about my work.

Julie - With so many best sellers under your belt, do you find writing is any easier than when you started out? Or is each book difficult (or maybe I should say "challenging") in its own way?