Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author JULIE GARWOOD!

juliegarwood1 wrote:

Happy to hear you like the historicals and the contemporaries.  I  have fun going back and forth.  I love "visiting" the middle ages every now and then but  I also love writing about big families like the Buchanans and the MacBains.

I've been a big fan of mysteries and romance for most of my life, but I was late to the game with historicals. I had the mistaken idea they were kind of old fashioned (she says blushing madly). Some author friends took me in hand and showed me what I was missing. Now my to-be-read pile has exploded with books from the backlists of all the authors I've discovered.

One thing that surprised me was how many historicals feature strong mystery plot lines. I'm amazed it took me so long to find this out!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Julie - Can you tell us about what you're working on now, or is it too soon to say?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Okay I'm back I've adertised the visit

Julie, I was wondering if you have a favorite genre to write

do you have a favorite of all your books

thanks 

Thanks, Debbie! I've been frantic without access to my computer - what a morning! Luckily I posted the links on Facebook last night.

Glad you're back online Becke, gosh technology is great :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

thanks 

Thanks, Debbie! I've been frantic without access to my computer - what a morning! Luckily I posted the links on Facebook last night.

Glad you're back online Becke, gosh technology is great :smileyhappy:

Let's just say I can tell it's a Monday!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Hmmm. Sorry to hear about your computer problems, becke. Funny how technology becomes so indispensible to us, isn't it? Kind of like electricity-- we take it for granted, until there's a storm or fuse blow-out somewhere, especially if it's in the middle of summer or winter, and THEN we REALLY want it back, quick! Anyway, hope your computer woes will shortly be solved!

In the meantime, I'm noting here that I visited my local library today and got a copy of

Murder List  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Hmmm. Sorry to hear about your computer problems, becke. Funny how technology becomes so indispensible to us, isn't it? Kind of like electricity-- we take it for granted, until there's a storm or fuse blow-out somewhere, especially if it's in the middle of summer or winter, and THEN we REALLY want it back, quick! Anyway, hope your computer woes will shortly be solved!

In the meantime, I'm noting here that I visited my local library today and got a copy of

Murder List  

That's a good one, Fricka!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Julie-

Since we have a lot of people viewing this conversation who aren't commenting, I'll ask a few questions that might interest them:

How many books did you write before you made your first sale?

Do you have a favorite among your own books?

Are there any books you've written that will never see the light of day?

Are you planning to rerelease any of your older books as ebooks?

Thanks!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
juliegarwood1
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Welcome, Julie to our forum! I see that you live in Leawood, Kansas, which is located not too far from one of my favorite city/towns in the world, Lawrence. I went to grad school there, and found that Eastern Kansas is sooo much different from NW Kansas, where my parents had settled. In particular, I loved the fact that there were four distinct seasons, and I particularly enjoyed Autumn there. Out of curiousity, what's your favorite season in your neck of the woods?

Second question--have you ever used Eastern Kansas as a setting for one of your books?

Hi, Fricka.

I know what you mean about Lawrence.  It's a great place.  Many in my family went to KU, so we're definitely Jawhawk fans.

I love spring because everything is coming to life again, but I have to admit I like the hot days of summer, too.  We've certainly had more than our share of those this year.

I live as far east as you can get in Kansas, just across the state line from Kansas City, Missouri.  My first contemporary novel, HEARTBREAKER, starts out at a parish rectory in Kansas City, and that's the only time I've used this area in one of my books.

Author
juliegarwood1
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

thanks 

I go back and forth.  It all depends on what I'm working on.  I love writing about the Middle Ages in England and Scotland, and I also love writing the contemporary stories.  I can't settle on just one because they're both fun.

Author
juliegarwood1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

juliegarwood1 wrote:

I love talking to other writers!  Hope your writing is going well.  And thank you for your kind words about my work.

Julie - With so many best sellers under your belt, do you find writing is any easier than when you started out? Or is each book difficult (or maybe I should say "challenging") in its own way?

You'd think it would get easier, but it doesn't.  Each book is like starting all over.  I guess if it did get easier, I'd be in trouble, because that would mean that I'm not stretching.

Author
juliegarwood1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Julie - Can you tell us about what you're working on now, or is it too soon to say

My next book is about an FBI agent and a food critic.  He's known her since she was very young and he saved her life.  How they come together years later makes for a fun story, and I really hope my readers will like it.
Author
juliegarwood1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Julie-

Since we have a lot of people viewing this conversation who aren't commenting, I'll ask a few questions that might interest them:

Thanks!

I had written a YA called A GIRL NAMED SUMMER and I also had written a historical romance called GENTLE WARRIOR.  I hadn't sent them to anyone yet, and then I met an agent who came to a conference in Kansas City.  She gave me permission to send her my work, and she sold both, the YA to Scholastic and the historical to Pocket.  I was extremely lucky.  I guess you could say I was in the right place at the right time.

Whatever book I'm writing becomes my favorite.  I fall in love with the characters as I'm putting them through all the twists and turns of their story, and I always feel a little sad when I have to say good-bye to them at the end.  I guess that's why I bring many of them back in other stories.

Actually, I did write another YA years ago.  Your question just brought it to mind again.  I think I'll have to dig it out of storage and take another look at it. 

There are loads of other stories I've imagined but haven't had the time to write yet. 

All of my books are now ebooks in the U.S., and more and more countries around the world are beginning to offer them as well.   It's really exciting to see how far they reach now.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

juliegarwood1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

juliegarwood1 wrote:

I love talking to other writers!  Hope your writing is going well.  And thank you for your kind words about my work.

Julie - With so many best sellers under your belt, do you find writing is any easier than when you started out? Or is each book difficult (or maybe I should say "challenging") in its own way?

You'd think it would get easier, but it doesn't.  Each book is like starting all over.  I guess if it did get easier, I'd be in trouble, because that would mean that I'm not stretching.

From what I can see, your books are more popular than ever, so you must be stratching successfully! Not many authors can claim 24 New York Times Best Sellers! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

juliegarwood1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Julie - Can you tell us about what you're working on now, or is it too soon to say

My next book is about an FBI agent and a food critic.  He's known her since she was very young and he saved her life.  How they come together years later makes for a fun story, and I really hope my readers will like it.

There are lots of foodies on this forum - I can practically see their eyes light up at "food critic!"

becke_davis
0 Kudos

juliegarwood1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Julie-

Thanks!

I had written a YA called A GIRL NAMED SUMMER and I also had written a historical romance called GENTLE WARRIOR.  I hadn't sent them to anyone yet, and then I met an agent who came to a conference in Kansas City.  She gave me permission to send her my work, and she sold both, the YA to Scholastic and the historical to Pocket.  I was extremely lucky.  I guess you could say I was in the right place at the right time.

Whatever book I'm writing becomes my favorite.  I fall in love with the characters as I'm putting them through all the twists and turns of their story, and I always feel a little sad when I have to say good-bye to them at the end.  I guess that's why I bring many of them back in other stories.

Actually, I did write another YA years ago.  Your question just brought it to mind again.  I think I'll have to dig it out of storage and take another look at it. 

There are loads of other stories I've imagined but haven't had the time to write yet. 

All of my books are now ebooks in the U.S., and more and more countries around the world are beginning to offer them as well.   It's really exciting to see how far they reach now.

My favorite thing about ebooks is that so many authors are releasing their backlists in this format. Books that I've spent years hunting for are now available for my Nook - I love it!

I never thought of you as a YA author - I'll have to check out A GIRL NAMED SUMMER.

I'm HUGELY impressed that you sold two books your first time out. I'm sure a lot of writers will weep when they read this!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Good morning, Julie and everyone!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Julie - Do you still get a buzz when you get advance copies of your books and see the covers, etc., or is it old hat to you now?

Also, how has your role as an author changed since you first started out? Are you having to do a lot of your own marketing now, for instance?

Author
juliegarwood1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Julie - Do you still get a buzz when you get advance copies of your books and see the covers, etc., or is it old hat to you now?

Also, how has your role as an author changed since you first started out? Are you having to do a lot of your own marketing now, for instance?

It never gets old.  I get really excited every time a new book arrives.  I've been especially happy with the last two covers for THE IDEAL MAN and SWEET TALK.  I think the art department at Dutton has done a terrific job.

My activities as an author have changed considerably from the time I started.  And the Internet has made a huge difference.  My website, Facebook, and other sites have become so important.  They take up much more of my time, but they're totally worth it because they allow me to connect with my readers, and I love that.

Now, I have a question for you.

I notice at the heading of this discussion that  the category is "mystery".  I'm just wondering why that is, since my books are usually labeled "romance".

becke_davis
0 Kudos

juliegarwood1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

It never gets old.  I get really excited every time a new book arrives.  I've been especially happy with the last two covers for THE IDEAL MAN and SWEET TALK.  I think the art department at Dutton has done a terrific job.

My activities as an author have changed considerably from the time I started.  And the Internet has made a huge difference.  My website, Facebook, and other sites have become so important.  They take up much more of my time, but they're totally worth it because they allow me to connect with my readers, and I love that.

Now, I have a question for you.

I notice at the heading of this discussion that  the category is "mystery".  I'm just wondering why that is, since my books are usually labeled "romance".

Good question! Romantic suspense is one of those categories that can go either way - we feature them both at the Romantic Reads board and at the Mystery Forum. 

Each "board" here has its own moderator, and we each set up our features differently. Melanie Murray, who moderates Romantic Reads, often invites authors to respond to Q&As, for example. At Mystery, I invite authors to either write a guest blog for us (where visits are optional) or to be a featured author for a week, which includes chatting with us.

You may wonder why there is such a long introduction - I post those because many people come back and read these posts long after the featured week is over. The number of people viewing these threads is always a lot higher than the number of people posting comments, but it has been a surprise to me how the view counts continue to go up - sometimes astronomically - for months after the author's visit. Since those viewers can't ask questions, I try to get as much information out there as possible.

Back to your question - the "Mystery" title covers a lot of ground. The books featured here cover all sub-genres, including noir, cozies, procedurals, suspense and thrillers, romantic suspense, puzzlers and even true crime. Because I love romance almost as much as mysteries, I like to introduce our participants to romantic suspense authors, too. 

I hope this clarifies things!